closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tokyo 2020 Olympics

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    The fifth member of the swimming relay definitely get a medal, it was commented on after GB’s mixed relay gold. One of the forks had been rested for the semis and her replacement also hot a gold.

I would think that all team members who take part will receive a medal in any of the team events.
    The forth member of the golden Dutch cycling team had a hard time getting his medal. Büchli participated in the first rounds, to be replaced - as part of the attack plan that they'd made up before - for Hoogland who pariticipated later on in the (semi)-finals and finals. At first Büchli was denied a medal! Only after a lot of discussion with the Olympic officials (including pointing at other sports like the ones above!) he received his gold medal. Apart from that, when the team became WC, they all 4 got a medal. So, the UCI recognizes the efforts of the 4th man. This 'no forth medal' was an IOC thing.
    Last edited by thieuster; 3rd August 2021 at 12:13.

Master
    Just watched a recording of the 400m hurdles final, supposedly one of the all-time athletic performances - in which gold and silver medallists both broke the previous world record.

Hilarious that the new champion celebrated his victory by ripping open his shirt to expose his nipples, like a primate mating ritual.

There's just been an item on the news about 13 year old Team GB skateboarder Sky Brown. She doesn't have a British Accent, and according to Wiki

Sky Brown was born in Miyazaki, Japan. Her mother, Mieko, is Japanese and her father, Stu, is British.

Her British father lived in the United States for several years before moving to Japan.

Brown lives in Miyazaki, but spends around half the year in the US.
    That seems a rather slender claim to being British.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    There's just been an item on the news about 13 year old Team GB skateboarder Sky Brown. She doesn't have a British Accent, and according to Wiki

Remember Zola Budd? Now that was slender.

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    Just watched a recording of the 400m hurdles final, supposedly one of the all-time athletic performances - in which gold and silver medallists both broke the previous world record.

Hilarious that the new champion celebrated his victory by ripping open his shirt to expose his nipples, like a primate mating ritual.
    Fantastic race though and a nice chap

Master
    A few years ago while I was out on a bike I listened to a radio documentary about drug taking in athletics, in which one contributor argued that illicit performance enhancements were so rife in track events in the '80s that many of the world records set in those days would likely stand forever. It was even argued that they should all be reset starting from some time in the '90s, to give present-day clean athletes a chance of setting legitimate and fair world records in their sports.

But this last week a few of the Olympic athletes have had no trouble at all setting new records. The second-placed runner in the 400m hurdles broke the world record and still lost.

Is it better training, better nutrition, better shoes .. or are we having the wool pulled over our eyes again?

But this last week a few of the Olympic athletes have had no trouble at all setting new records. The second-placed runner in the 400m hurdles broke the world record and still lost.

Is it better training, better nutrition, better shoes .. or are we having the wool pulled over our eyes again?
    Not an expert, but the track surface seems has a huge impact of speed. Olso for example was known as being a very fast track.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

'Tokyo track designer reveals boost from new surface as records fall at Olympics'

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...ll-at-olympics
    ______

​Jim.

The Cycling Omnium...my head hurts.
    Great racing!

Blog Entries
    Dutch Keirin Gold! That girl had a heart attack in 2017 when she was training in Colorado and now a gold medal! How great is that!!!

Sadly, earlier this day another Dutch female cyclist fell. She's in hospital, but doing okee. She's normally better than Braspennincx who won now gold. The idea of Van Riessen (the girl that fell) getting gold would have been something special as well. She won Olympic bronze on the 1000m speed skating in Vancouver as well. Only 5 athletes ever won medals on both the Summer AND Winter Olympics.
    Last edited by thieuster; 5th August 2021 at 11:20.

All of that and faster tracks too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post

I don’t think having a British parent is a slender claim at all.

If you’re looking for slender check out the Qatar Olympic team... (or Jack Charlton era ROI football)

Quote Originally Posted by PhilT View Post
    I don’t think having a British parent is a slender claim at all.

If you’re looking for slender check out the Qatar Olympic team... (or Jack Charlton era ROI football)
    Zola Budd’s running shoes were British!

Holly Bradshaw. Bronze in the women's pole vault

Whilst walking through the airport the other day I saw a lad carrying a massive stick, the stick must have been 12 foot long.
    I went up to him and said “are you a pole-vaulter”?

He said “NEIN I am a German, but now did you know my name is Walther”?

Grand Master
    I used to be a big fan of athletics but I’ve lost interest in recent years, all too often the sport fails to deliver with the top athletes injured or avoiding each other.

I’ve been v. surprised by some of the fast times being set at this Olympics, I’m usually sceptical when tracks are described as ‘fast’ but I’m starting to believe it this time. Both 400m hurdles world records are impressive, Keely Hodgkinsons 800m British record’s a surprise, the womens 100 and 200 were v. fast..........coincidence?

As a youngster most of my racing was done on cinder tracks, never forgotten the sound of spikes crunching into the surface. Synthetic tracks were a definite step forward in the 70s but you couldn’t hear the runner behind you, on cinders you could hear the sound of the spikes getting fainter if you were pulling away.

First Olympics to be held on a synthetic track was Mexico ‘68.....not a lot of people know that!

Master
    Just watching the non-contact kata karate on the Beeb now - great that having introduced Skateboarding for 12-year-old girls, they've added a sport in which my 9-year-old nephew might already be quite expert... Hi-ya!

Quote Originally Posted by nickk View Post
    Just watching the non-contact kata karate on the Beeb now - great that having introduced Skateboarding for 12-year-old girls, they've added a sport in which my 9-year-old nephew might already be quite expert... Hi-ya!
    To perform Katas with such precision (as they demonstrated) takes an awful lot of practice and dedication. Having trained - for a time - in Shotokan, long ago in my youth, I was very impressed. But as an Olympic sport, I just don't get it . I don't 'get' any of the events where the result is based on subjective opinion.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    To perform Katas with such precision (as they demonstrated) takes an awful lot of practice and dedication. Having trained - for a time - in Shotokan, long ago in my youth, I was very impressed. But as an Olympic sport, I just don't get it . I don't 'get' any of the events where the result is based on subjective opinion.
    Well you’ll love the breakdancing in 2024!

If we can get Hungry Hippos in there for 2028 I reckon my dream is still alive…

Well you’ll love the breakdancing in 2024!

If we can get Hungry Hippos in there for 2028 I reckon my dream is still alive…
    Thought people were joking about the breakdancing and had to Google it. TBH though, no worse than rhythmic gymnastics, diving and so on.

Breakdancing a 'sport' in 2024. It just gets sillier.

Master
    Check out Rika Usami. Crisp, really fast and a looker as an added bonus.

Master
    Blog Entries
    those rock climbers,wow.

though if it was half way up the north face of the Eiger I expect they would be a little more cautious.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Check out Rika Usami. Crisp, really fast and a looker as an added bonus.
    Thanks. Wow. Amazing, utterly amazing.

Looking forward to shuffle dancing being included.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Dutch Keirin Gold! That girl had a heart attack in 2017 when she was training in Colorado and now a gold medal! How great is that!!!

Sadly, earlier this day another Dutch female cyclist fell. She's in hospital, but doing okee. She's normally better than Braspennincx who won now gold. The idea of Van Riessen (the girl that fell) getting gold would have been something special as well. She won Olympic bronze on the 1000m speed skating in Vancouver as well. Only 5 athletes ever won medals on both the Summer AND Winter Olympics.
    Shame she took out Katy Marchant as she would have certainly pushed for a podium spot if not the gold, that’s the keirin for you though, its a contact sport.

Women's Beach Volleyball today! About bloody time...

Master
    Is it just me, or did anyone find the commentators for the gymnastics bloody aweful.
    Matt baker has always been annoying, from the one show through to countryfile, but listening to him, and whoever else that is alongside him was really irritating and way over the top.
    It almost seems that you're not allowed to criticise anyone these days, if that's the case, what's the point of having so called, "experts" commentating.
    I didn't have to watch it I know, but I've been in the covid ward for 10 days so it was a distraction from other things.
    It was always going to be different this time around, and yes, some of the times being set on track are worrying, but the technology etc moves on I suppose, so only to be expected.

Sent from my SM-T590 using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    As a youngster most of my racing was done on cinder tracks, never forgotten the sound of spikes crunching into the surface. Synthetic tracks were a definite step forward in the 70s but you couldn’t hear the runner behind you, on cinders you could hear the sound of the spikes getting fainter if you were pulling away.
    Yeah, and my black track shoes only offered a hard ply of leather over the spikes...zero cushioning!

Last edited by pacifichrono; 6th August 2021 at 06:01.

Quote Originally Posted by Weirdfish View Post
    Is it just me, or did anyone find the commentators for the gymnastics bloody aweful.
    Matt baker has always been annoying, from the one show through to countryfile, but listening to him, and whoever else that is alongside him was really irritating and way over the top.
    It almost seems that you're not allowed to criticise anyone these days, if that's the case, what's the point of having so called, "experts" commentating.
    I didn't have to watch it I know, but I've been in the covid ward for 10 days so it was a distraction from other things.
    It was always going to be different this time around, and yes, some of the times being set on track are worrying, but the technology etc moves on I suppose, so only to be expected.

Sent from my SM-T590 using TZ-UK mobile app
    Found this across the coverage tbh, the tedious obsession with trying to get the athletes to open up about their 'journey' urgh.

Still recall how different the first time on a proper track.

The woman on the gymnastics coverage always sounds as if she has had a skin full to me. Matt Baker is just white noise.
    Lastly Chris Boardman… how many times does he want to tell us the cost of the GB bikes and kit - oh and they have to be available commercially. It’s every time a GB rider enters the track.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    The woman on the gymnastics coverage always sounds as if she has had a skin full to me. Matt Baker is just white noise.
    Lastly Chris Boardman… how many times does he want to tell us the cost of the GB bikes and kit - oh and they have to be available commercially. It’s every time a GB rider enters the track.
    Not here. Dutch brand KOGA (and in earlier days Dutch brand RIH) have been the providers of Dutch bikes. (Proud to own a Koga myself!). And, may I add: the back stay of the British bikes is really ugly, imho.

As we speak: Dutch Sprint Final! Two orange jerseys fighting each other. These two are long-time trainings partners and friends.

Master
    I know some of them are a bit annoying, but overall I think the BBC commentary has been pretty good. The 5live radio coverage has been much more entertaining though. The studio setup on the other hand.

Be careful what you wish for. Imagine what ITV Olympics would be like.

I am a bit fearful of the Paris coverage - only 2 live streams when we’re in the same time zone will have me pulling my hair out...

Women’s Maddison. That was outstanding, on another level compared to the rest of the field.

Women's Madison..........Archibald and Kenny.........YES, YES, YES!
    Phenomenal.

Master
    Totally dominant British Madison gold on Lotus bikes :-)

Totally dominant British Madison gold on Lotus bikes :-)
    That was exciting racing.
    How about that crash? Then some of the female riders got back in the saddle and continued racing.

Footballers, hang your pathetic heads in shame!

Quote Originally Posted by halfpasttwothirty View Post
    Are you here all week?

Wow there's a female Dutch cyclist on track now who had a heart attack a few years ago!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Eurosport has coverage as well, including one channel in 4K, there are about 10 streams of various sports, so if you want an alternative!

I have VM so the channels are 521, 522, 523(4k), 537, 538, 539, 540, 541, 542, 543

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post

BBC report that Laurine van Riessen is still in hospital with broken ribs and internal injuries but her condition is stable. I suppose that after that crash, landing on a bike and being landed on by Katy Marchant (not intentionally) that is as well as can be expected. Let's hope she makes a full and rapid recovery.

Master
    Laura Kenny has five gold medals now, from three consecutive Olympic Games. She must surely be nailed on for a D at the New Year Honours. The girls tested their strategy in training by competing against the GB men's under 23 team, and it worked every time!

Laura Kenny has five gold medals now, from three consecutive Olympic Games. She must surely be nailed on for a D at the New Year Honours. The girls tested their strategy in training by competing against the GB men's under 23 team, and it worked every time!
    Great insight.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The Madison was superb.

As for track shoes we had to run in these (wearing puttees or gaiters) and sometimes in thin soled plimsoles,they caused a lot of injuries short and long term.

Blog Entries
    Watching Holland - Argentina female hockey at the moment. Later today Sifan Hassan who will try to win a second gold medal (5000m already won, now the 1500m and tomorrow the 10k for a third attempt).

Well Done Kate French
    What a run and great shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by nickk View Post
    What were you doing when you were 12 (see www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3yoYEB41Ho)?

I'm looking forward to seeing this at a future Olympics. Jump to 1:20 for the action.

Last edited by Mr Curta; 7th August 2021 at 09:33.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Craftsman
    One of the biggest frustrations in the velodrome is the appalling vision mixing. They have missed so many important moves that you wonder if they understand the sport at all. But anyway, well done Walls and Hayter.