closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tokyo 2020 Olympics

Tokyo 2020 Olympics

Well I enjoyed the opening ceremony overall, it seemed to hit the appropriate tone. Not too much razzle dazzle. Some odd bits. The usual tedious speeches. I imagine many of the Japanese stars involved were not known to an international audience (save the last one).

Hope the Games are a decent show and the athletes get every chance to show the results of their training. Shame I can't watch in person, but it's too hot anyway, so TV it is!

I was looking forward to a pic on the Guess where thread with some athletes in the background, TT.

I wonder how many iterations were worked through before deciding on the final opening ceremony, given the obvious restrictions and then the other recent issues that have reared their respective heads? As it is, the games may not even conclude.

Unlike previous Olympic events I'm struggling to get the fizz for this one though I'll be watching as much as I practically can, hopefully that sense of excitement shall return. I wish all athletes well and hope that they all feel they can still compete to the best of their abilities, given the less than usual circumstances that they'll all be competing under I'd hope that performances aren't negatively affected.

Master
    Amber Hill the awesome skeet shooter lives in the next road to us, lovely girl & gutted for her that she tested positive & can not compete. She has the coolest tricked out Jeep Wrangler on the drive too!

Hoping she can get over this & remain at the top of her game for the next one. The 3 huge celebration fireworks mid afternoon at the weekend were a little premature unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cycling road race is into its final 25km or so now. Brutal heat and humidity, and a tough climb. I've hiked those mountains and they are tough on foot at walking pace. Tremendous challenge on a bike on a hot day like today. The heat is staggering at the moment. Catch the last few minutes if you are reading this!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Watching it now!!, As you say that's bloody steep.

If you enjoy road cycling and are intrigued by the Japan mountains, this guy has a good channel:

https://youtube.com/c/RidesofJapan

now back to the race!

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Watching it now!!, As you say that's bloody steep.
    What a race it ended up being - cream of cycling involved and a fantastic performance by Carapaz, so strong and clearly taken a lot of positives out of the TdF. Shame about Thomas and Tao - definitely was a chance for all 4 to have held and worked together. Thankfully they seem ok after the crash.

Blog Entries
    Third medal ever for Equador! Nice!

Good football match between Japan and Great Britain, close but a deserving winner.

Now that it's all truly underway, the next big question is how long must we wait before a commentator turns "medal" or "podium" into a verb?

TT

If anything the women's cycling road race was even more spectacular and surprising...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    If anything the women's cycling road race was even more spectacular and surprising...
    Very true, chapeau to Kiesenhofer, a brave ride.

If any of you night-owls are interested, you can see live coverage of many events here https://www.gorin.jp/live/

(An official site, albeit in Japanese, but you can probably work it out or run it through translate)

Hell of a ride from Tom Pidcock (on the BBC Red Button) in the mountain biking... properly gnarly cross country course and he's flying at the mo.

Great gold from Piddcock a fantastic ride from him.

Cheers, Shaun

Master
    Magnificent from TP

I managed to watch the Rugby 7’s match between GB and Japan. Very entertaining.

I must however say that this Olympics has not really fully engaged me.

BTW Great result for France in the basketball.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

3 great golds for GB today.

Fantastic from Pidcock under pressure from Nino.

I'm really getting into it now. I don't understand the whole Russian Olympic Committee (ROC) thing though. Surely they're the same bent athletes that were in the team pre-ban? It annoys me when any ROC athlete gets a medal.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I'm really getting into it now. I don't understand the whole Russian Olympic Committee (ROC) thing though. Surely they're the same bent athletes that were in the team pre-ban? It annoys me when any ROC athlete gets a medal.
    I think they have to pee in more buckets than other athletes.
    The members of the ROC teams are proven to be clean. (Probably cleaner than the rest)…
    It was a good day for GB there are a few potentials tomorrow as well.

I loved the cycling road races. The look of joy and disbelief on Kiesenhofer's face at the end of the wonen's race was brilliant.

If I hadn't known and you'd asked me, I'd have said they were somewhere in Western Europe. Certainly not how I thought Japan looked.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp
    fantastic performance by Carapaz, so strong and clearly taken a lot of ...
    Really though you were going to say drugs, lol.

Really pleased for Tom Daley.

Master
    No one can't stop Roglic. Not even the finish line.

https://twitter.com/OutOfCycling/sta...93090947051521

He used to be a ski jumper, so, telemark landing on the podium !

https://twitter.com/inrng/status/1420303422226530304
    Last edited by matt; 29th July 2021 at 06:52.

Yeah me too. I'm not sure how I expected Japan to look but it's not like that.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post

If I hadn't known and you'd asked me, I'd have said they were somewhere in Western Europe. Certainly not how I thought Japan looked.

Master
    Britain's performance at the modern Olympic Games, as represented by gold medals. I got the numbers from Wikipedia.

Worth mentioning perhaps that our athletes competed under the Olympic flag in 1980, but I think that's an unimportant distinction. The 1908 Olympics were held in London so it looks like there was a significant home advantage there.

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    Britain's performance at the modern Olympic Games, as represented by gold medals. I got the numbers from Wikipedia.

Worth mentioning perhaps that our athletes competed under the Olympic flag in 1980, but I think that's an unimportant distinction. The 1908 Olympics were held in London so it looks like there was a significant home advantage there.
    Shows the massive difference lottery funding and focus on London 2012 has made. Although Team GB made a great start this year it seems like there's going to be slim pickings in some areas we've excelled at in recent games. I doubt we're going to get near 20 golds this time more like mid teens at best.

The BMX finals were unbelievable
    Well done the Brits

Never really followed swimming but there seem to be an inordinate number of events compared to other sports.

Quote Originally Posted by awright101 View Post
    The BMX finals were unbelievable
    Well done the Brits
    Especially considering all the cash had gone to the rowers and horse riders and She was crowd funded

Can't help thinking that IF there was a medal for the most over enthusiastic commentators, the Brits would smash it in unbelievable fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Especially considering all the cash had gone to the rowers and horse riders and She was crowd funded
    British cycling hates BMX as it is a chav sport and not road riding, they have a long history of going against what’s best for the sport and it’s athletes.
    See how they treated Tre Whyte (brother of Kye)
    I used to watch these talented little kids at Peckham BMX track, friend of mine sponsored them with bikes back then, great to see them at the top of the sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Can't help thinking that IF there was a medal for the most over enthusiastic commentators, the Brits would smash it in unbelievable fashion.
    I'm confident that they are complete amateurs compared with Australian commentators.

Master
    Brilliant performance in the 300ft Woman Catch event this morning - we took silver.

A nice blog about the first Tokyo Olympics and the sport-specific timepieces developed by Seiko, here:

https://www.plus9time.com/blog/2021/...-olympics-1964

(And a bit more on the impact the Olympics had on timekeeping technology)

ICYMI...Belarusian sprinter says she won't return home:

A Belarusian sprinter said she planned to avoid getting on a plane home from Tokyo after being taken to the airport against her wishes on Sunday following her complaints about national coaches at the Olympic Games.

Krystsina Tsimanouskaya, who was due to compete in the women's 200 metres on Monday, told Reuters she had sought the protection of Japanese police at Tokyo's Haneda airport so she would not have to board the flight.

"I will not return to Belarus," she told Reuters in a message over Telegram.

Tsimanouskaya, 24, said coaching staff had come to her room on Sunday and told her to pack. She said she was taken to the airport by representatives of the Belarusian Olympic team.

The Belarusian Olympic Committee said in a statement that coaches had decided to withdraw Tsimanouskaya from the Games on doctors' advice about her "emotional, psychological state"...

Blog Entries
    That last line: as if I read a line from the communist era!

I love watching freestyle BMX, I gave it a go in my youth but decided mountain bikes would result in a lot less pain! It blows my mind what's being achieved nowadays. I first became aware of Charlotte Worthington on the Tall Order BMX channel a while back and was absolutely delighted to see this this morning...

https://youtu.be/6wc6TChRwUM

https://youtu.be/9GHrjM4dtHE

Sent from my SM-A217F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RS404; 1st August 2021 at 22:25.

Watching the cycling team pursuit atm, had a thought - anyone know if 5th member of team get a medal (esp. if used in qualifying)?

Imagine same situation in track/swimming relays.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Watching the cycling team pursuit atm, had a thought - anyone know if 5th member of team get a medal (esp. if used in qualifying)?

Imagine same situation in track/swimming relays.
    The fifth member of the swimming relay definitely get a medal, it was commented on after GB’s mixed relay gold. One of the forks had been rested for the semis and her replacement also hot a gold.

I would think that all team members who take part will receive a medal in any of the team events.

Laurel Hubbard...Snatch DENIED

Master
    Failed at the snatch? I like jokes that write themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    The fifth member of the swimming relay definitely get a medal, it was commented on after GB’s mixed relay gold. One of the forks had been rested for the semis and her replacement also hot a gold.

I would think that all team members who take part will receive a medal in any of the team events.
    Thanks, seems only fair.

A bit of a contretemps in the vélodrome:

Edit: Link to BBC Sport Twitter.

Link to the official webpage where it is still saying "Due to crash between Denmark (DEN) and Great Britain (GBR), the results of Men's Team Pursuit First Round are pending." While also showing Denmark as Qualified for Gold.
    Last edited by PickleB; 3rd August 2021 at 10:41.

Blog Entries
    Watching Men's cycling sprint in a few minutes: GB vs NL for gold/silver.

(Added interest: previous gold medalist (female) Ellis Ligtlee was one of our pupils at my school. Now she's doing TV comments for Dutch TV).

YES! GOLD! Average speed 60.5 km/hr! And a new OR.

Last time Dutch male sprint cyclist(s) won a gold medal was in 1936. 85 yrs ago.
    Last edited by thieuster; 3rd August 2021 at 09:57.

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    Failed at the snatch? I like jokes that write themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by halfpasttwothirty View Post
    hahaaha one for his tombstone.

What a loser, deservedly so, cheats shouldn't prosper.

Master
    Blog Entries
    cyclist not looking where they are going and travelling to fast runs into another cyclist.

No change there then,you couldnt make it up.

Imagine being told you're "travelling too fast" in the Olympics.

Soapy, calm down.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    A bit of a contretemps in the vélodrome:

..has moved on to Twitter:

See also: Is the Danish pursuit team using kinesiology tape at Olympics to circumvent UCI rules?

And Twitter replies once again.
    Last edited by PickleB; 3rd August 2021 at 12:06.