closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Strimmer

Strimmer

Morning All

Any recommendations for a Strimmer !!, not really for Grass mainly for weeds and nettles so whether a Battery one can handle it or is a Petrol one still the way to go
    ?

Thanks in Advance

I have a petrol one a it’s powerful, cuts through most things easily Sthil, but is messy and noisy. Great for large areas with thick weeds. It’s about 10 years old, but mixing two stroke petrol and priming and starting all take time.

Bought a battery one this year Makita already have their batteries for other power tools. Been really impressed easy to use, light and no mess. A great bit of kit and if you are just edging the lawn I would recommend.

Husky or Stihl running on Aspen. Mine is a combi brush cutter and strimmer. Overkill for a small manicured lawn but all you’d ever need.

Master
    +1 for Aspen. Game changer for the occasional user

I have a Stihl FSA 65 cordless strimmer which is more than adequate to hack through the undergrowth. The battery lasts long enough to strim my ~2 acres of garden.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mylofitz View Post
    Husky or Stihl running on Aspen. Mine is a combi brush cutter and strimmer. Overkill for a small manicured lawn but all you’d ever need.
    ^^^ this ^^^. Mine is a Dolmar (originally a German brand, now owned by Makita), 4-stroke. I use Aspen-4 or unleaded petrol. For smaller gardens and a more 'manicured' lawn, I would opt for a battery-powered machine. And, when possible, one that uses the same battery as my (e.g.) drill. I'm now using 18V Makita stuff, so my first choice would be a Makita strimmer.

Having said that, study the cutting thread reel. Ask yourself: do you need to buy a complete new reel when you run out of wire, or can you re-wire the reel you have etc. Worth checking this! It's the printer ink story here... cheap strimmer is often an expensive reel with thread.

Menno

It all depends on the nature of what you're going to trim. I have a lightweight Makita 2-stroke which is all I need for zipping around the grass edge under our surrounding hedges. For anything more, like large areas of overgrowth, then I do think that Stihl makes some good stuff (albeit at a price!)- I know a lot of commercial landscapers seem to favour Stihl kit.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I had a 4-stroke Honda 25cc strimmer. It was a semi-professional job costing around 325gbp - it also had a brush cutter attachment (plus harness etc) and was excellent for all day work.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Efco brand

Not a strimmer, but I think battery devices have come a long way, I bought a cheap battery MacAlastair hedge trimmer last week and am quite impressed, quiet and lasted ages and the cut was as good as my petrol one, but the best thing was the light weight.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Any Honda 4 stroke

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Stihl Kombi gives you the flexibility to add other tools when you need them and lasts for decades

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    ^^^ this ^^^. Mine is a Dolmar (originally a German brand, now owned by Makita), 4-stroke. I use Aspen-4 or unleaded petrol. For smaller gardens and a more 'manicured' lawn, I would opt for a battery-powered machine. And, when possible, one that uses the same battery as my (e.g.) drill. I'm now using 18V Makita stuff, so my first choice would be a Makita strimmer.

Having said that, study the cutting thread reel. Ask yourself: do you need to buy a complete new reel when you run out of wire, or can you re-wire the reel you have etc. Worth checking this! It's the printer ink story here... cheap strimmer is often an expensive reel with thread.

Menno
    I have the Makita 18v cordless trimmer, uses the same batteries as my cordless drill and cordless circular saw. Have 2 4Ah batteries and never needed more.

Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

I have had a Stihl fs90r for about 7 years. Absolute beast but as battery technology has improved I’m now going to buy the Makita as it is quieter, lighter and no more petrol mix. I’ve been told battery will be the future due to earlier start times as at the moment due to how loud petrol machines are council workers etc can’t start work til 9am. With battery machines and reduced noise they can start earlier.
    Going to order my makita shortly!

Blog Entries
    The guys who did the hedges of our previous garden has been using battery-powered equipment for years. He's professional gardener and he doesn't want to inhale those fumes day in and out. "I've become a gardener for the smell of grass and roses. Not for the smell of Shell and Exxon!" He has a valid point!

Apart from the fumes, the noise level is seriously lower than the petrol-powered ones. Having said that: a good friend who lives in the US wanted to replace his Husky chainsaw for a Milwaukee battery-powered machine. But the initial weight (without the battery) was higher than the petrol machine's!

Finally: those petrol machines come with a harness that's designed for the most-comfortable wear. From that knowledge: check the battery-powered machine you want to buy WITH a battery inserted.

Menno

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    The guys who did the hedges of our previous garden has been using battery-powered equipment for years. He's professional gardener and he doesn't want to inhale those fumes day in and out. "I've become a gardener for the smell of grass and roses. Not for the smell of Shell and Exxon!" He has a valid point!

Apart from the fumes, the noise level is seriously lower than the petrol-powered ones. Having said that: a good friend who lives in the US wanted to replace his Husky chainsaw for a Milwaukee battery-powered machine. But the initial weight (without the battery) was higher than the petrol machine's!

Finally: those petrol machines come with a harness that's designed for the most-comfortable wear. From that knowledge: check the battery-powered machine you want to buy WITH a battery inserted.

Menno
    Good points, another thing that causes me grief is vibration and finger ends. My hands can ache a day or more after a good strimming session

Must be old school though as love the smell of 2 stroke, takes me back to moto x scrambling days :)

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    I have the Makita 18v cordless trimmer, uses the same batteries as my cordless drill and cordless circular saw. Have 2 4Ah batteries and never needed more.

+1 Makita here too.

Quote Originally Posted by LRB255 View Post
    Good points, another thing that causes me grief is vibration and finger ends. My hands can ache a day or more after a good strimming session

Must be old school though as love the smell of 2 stroke, takes me back to moto x scrambling days :)
    Much less vibration with battery

Really rate the EGO Power Plus range - dedicated strummer or multi tool (which I have) … lots of power.

https://egopowerplus.co.uk/products/...-brush-cutters

Craftsman
    Like others on here finally got rid of my 2 stroke Homelite- always a pain in the arse and more powerful and vicious than I needed for a medium size garden and got a 18v Makita. Brilliant- quiet, light and highly effective. Easy choice as I had already bought into the Makita 18v battery system

Blog Entries
    Stihl for me too with Aspen - can leave the fuel in all winter and still fires up next spring. 5Ltrs lasts me a season... can get adaptors for pole hedge trimmers so two tools for price of one.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Strimmer

Quote Originally Posted by CriticalMass View Post
    Like others on here finally got rid of my 2 stroke Homelite- always a pain in the arse and more powerful and vicious than I needed for a medium size garden and got a 18v Makita. Brilliant- quiet, light and highly effective. Easy choice as I had already bought into the Makita 18v battery system
    For anyone thinking of buying into Makita, worth knowing that they now also have a new 40V system, strimmer included.

I’ve also got a lot of 18V tools, hopefully the 2 systems will exist side by side,

I have an echo one, petrol, always run on Aspen with zero issues and easy starting
    Sold to me by a dealer who also sold Stihl but at the price point reckoned the echo was better- solid drive shaft as opposed to a flexible drive
    Most of my other stuff is Stihl though….

Craftsman
    I also use a Honda 4 stroke model, no mixing 2 stroke. However, I’ve recently bought an Ego cordless hedge trimmer to replace two Bosch units that failed under warranty. I have to say it’s extremely powerful with excellent battery life but not cheap.

My friend has the Strimmer version and swears by it. It comes as a multi tool with various attachments.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Stihl running on Aspen. Kombi one so have strimmer, long reach hedge cutter and mini chainsaw thinghy. Works well and has plenty of power.
    Last edited by Montello; 24th July 2021 at 10:07.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    For anyone thinking of buying into Makita, worth knowing that they now also have a new 40V system, strimmer included.

I’ve also got a lot of 18V tools, hopefully the 2 systems will exist side by side,
    I think some of the ‘18v range’ use two batteries so perhaps 36v?

I think some of the ‘18v range’ use two batteries so perhaps 36v?
    No, definitely 40V! Some tools even take 2x40V so 80V.

Blog Entries
    No, definitely 40V! Some tools even take 2x40V so 80V.

Yes, sorry didn't mean the new range was 36v, just some of the old 18v range might be 36v using 2x18v.

Edited to say I found it!
    https://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/bra...v-36v-cordless

Handy if you already have the 18v batteries.
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 24th July 2021 at 11:31.

Strimmer

Yes, sorry didn't mean the new range was 36v, just some of the old 18v range might be 36v using 2x18v.

I see, my misunderstanding. My chain saw takes 2x18V.

Correct. I have lots of 18v makita batteries but most of my tools are the 36v (2x18v) variant.
    Il probably upgrade to the 40v kit in a few years once price comes down and the ah of the batteries goes up. There was a time when all you could buy was 18v 3ah and now you can get 18v 6ah. Same with the 40v I think the standard is 2.5ah when you want at least 5ah but because the technology is so new the batteries would be super expensive..:.so for now il stick with 2x18v as batteries are a lot cheaper.::

Blog Entries
    I see, my misunderstanding. My chain saw takes 2x18V.
    Gets a bit confusing when the ranges are so similar! I'm pleased with the Makita stuff.

Craftsman

Makita for me too. I have a strimmer, impact driver ( for wheel nuts),
    Brush less drill driver, and tyre inflater, all great bits of kit

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Stihl running on Aspen. Kombi one so have strimmer, long reach hedge cutter and mini chainsaw thinghy. Works well and has plenty of power.
    I can recommend the pick tine and lawn edger attachments too !