closing tag is in template navbar
Time Factors Watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 37 of 37

Thread: Green dial pp5711 Nautilus sold for .....

  1. #1
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    246

    Green dial pp5711 Nautilus sold for .....

    approx £350k including buyers premium. I don’t understand any more.

    https://www.watchcollectinglifestyle...urchasers-name

  2. #2
    Craftsman jimmbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Shropshire, UK
    Posts
    572
    The original owner, Gregory Pau is the son of a now closed AD. And almost certainly won’t be getting anymore PP’s at retail.

    *Edit. Turns out it’s a different Gregory Pau. The son of an owner of a now closed AD. Sneaky beggar.
    Last edited by jimmbob; 22nd July 2021 at 21:51.

  3. #3
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    248
    That is just crazy.

  4. #4
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    2,329
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmbob View Post
    The original owner, Gregory Pau is a director of the S&P 500. And almost certainly won’t be getting anymore PP’s at retail.
    I doubt he’ll care… he’s just made himself best part of $400k

  5. #5
    Craftsman jimmbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Shropshire, UK
    Posts
    572
    Quite. Hooray for money. Still, I hope it stings a little bit next time he wants a PP and is forced to go grey.

  6. #6
    Grand Master wileeeeeey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    10,422
    Never too rich to get caught with your hand in the cookie jar.

  7. #7
    Master jukeboxs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    3,373
    Quote Originally Posted by Satori View Post
    approx £350k including buyers premium. I don’t understand any more.
    But you were OK before this sale (i.e. with normal SS PP 5711s priced at $70k+)?

  8. #8
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    246
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    But you were OK before this sale (i.e. with normal SS PP 5711s priced at $70k+)?
    Yes.

  9. #9
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    65
    I wish PP had the manufacturing capacity to utterly flood the market and attempt to put an end to this madness.

  10. #10
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    4,523
    Quote Originally Posted by Subday View Post
    I wish PP had the manufacturing capacity to utterly flood the market and attempt to put an end to this madness.
    And totally destroy their brand?

  11. #11
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    14,263
    A good article. Whoever bought that needs their head tested.

  12. #12
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    14,263
    How? A £35k watch still has a limited audience and would still be classed as very high-end. It would mean that those who can afford £35k would get one and PP would increase sales and therefore revenue and profit.

    I only see it as a win for PP or any of the other brands that are choking supply. I'd have thought their interest would be in selling more pieces.

    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    And totally destroy their brand?

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    How? A £35k watch still has a limited audience and would still be classed as very high-end. It would mean that those who can afford £35k would get one and PP would increase sales and therefore revenue and profit.

    I only see it as a win for PP or any of the other brands that are choking supply. I'd have thought their interest would be in selling more pieces.

    With respect, you maybe should consider the rules of supply and demand for this end of the market. A £35k watch absolutely does not have a limited market in today’s world I’m afraid.

    And brands like PP/Rolex/AP don’t “need” to sell more watches at all so there is no need to “flood the market” even if they could and were stupid enough to do it…..

    Don’t have to like that state of play but it’s just way it is and will get worse before it gets better.

  14. #14
    Grand Master wileeeeeey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    10,422
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    How? A £35k watch still has a limited audience and would still be classed as very high-end. It would mean that those who can afford £35k would get one and PP would increase sales and therefore revenue and profit.

    I only see it as a win for PP or any of the other brands that are choking supply. I'd have thought their interest would be in selling more pieces.
    This isn't how it works at all, not even close.

    More people have £35k for a watch than you'd ever imagine. It doesn't have a limited audience at all.

    Increasing supply of a £35k watch is not how a company like Patek increase their revenue or profit.

  15. #15
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    4,523
    What they both said ^^^

    What you’re saying would destroy their brand. Supply and demand etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    How? A £35k watch still has a limited audience and would still be classed as very high-end. It would mean that those who can afford £35k would get one and PP would increase sales and therefore revenue and profit.

    I only see it as a win for PP or any of the other brands that are choking supply. I'd have thought their interest would be in selling more pieces.

  16. #16
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    14,263
    Thanks guys, every day's a school day.

  17. #17
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    696
    At that the price the watch is now surely unwearable as just opening the plastic bag will knock a huge sum off the price!

  18. #18
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    london
    Posts
    134
    utter madness


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  19. #19
    Grand Master ryanb741's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    11,667
    The auction winner was Patek btw. An AD I know who deals with people significantly more wealthy than me and who buy Pateks said Patek are livid, that this will mean the seller is blacklisted and they do not want these pieces getting outside of the dedicated network as part of the value of being a Patek VIP and spending millions on watches is the ability to be offered such rarities.

    The AD will need to take their medicine too for selling a still sealed watch. Someone will get fired at the very least

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

  20. #20
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    14,263
    So Patek buys back a watch for more than 10x what they sold it for to maintain their brand exclusivity and position. Meanwhile the seller trousers a life-changing amount of cash and is barred from buying any more Patek watches. Absolutely insane scenario and I've no doubt the seller couldn't give a rat's ass about being blacklisted as he spends his bounty on other luxury brands.

    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    The auction winner was Patek btw. An AD I know who deals with people significantly more wealthy than me and who buy Pateks said Patek are livid, that this will mean the seller is blacklisted and they do not want these pieces getting outside of the dedicated network as part of the value of being a Patek VIP and spending millions on watches is the ability to be offered such rarities

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

  21. #21
    Grand Master ryanb741's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    11,667
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    So Patek buys back a watch for more than 10x what they sold it for to maintain their brand exclusivity and position. Meanwhile the seller trousers a life-changing amount of cash and is barred from buying any more Patek watches. Absolutely insane scenario and I've no doubt the seller couldn't give a rat's ass about being blacklisted as he spends his bounty on other luxury brands.
    Depends. The profit won't be life changing to the seller as to be offered that kind of watch you would be spending 7 figures with Patek and already fabulously wealthy.

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

  22. #22
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    14,263
    Fair point. You can tell from my contribution to this thread that I know nowt about playing at this end of the pool.

    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Depends. The profit won't be life changing to the seller as to be offered that kind of watch you would be spending 7 figures with Patek and already fabulously wealthy.

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

  23. #23
    Grand Master ryanb741's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    11,667
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Fair point. You can tell from my contribution to this thread that I know nowt about playing at this end of the pool.
    Me neither! Sounds like a right faff though to be deemed worthy of buying such a piece. I find it much more pleasurable to figure out what I like, if I can afford it and then buy it (and flip it soon after!)

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

  24. #24
    Grand Master abraxas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    32,896
    I am sure you have seen this... it's from back in April.


    Patek Philippe To Cease Retail Watch Sales
    https://www.ablogtowatch.com/patek-p...-value-salons/
    Time travel class: Starts 1915

  25. #25
    Grand Master wileeeeeey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    10,422
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    I am sure you have seen this... it's from back in April.


    Patek Philippe To Cease Retail Watch Sales
    https://www.ablogtowatch.com/patek-p...-value-salons/
    Lovely date on that article.

  26. #26
    Grand Master abraxas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    32,896
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Lovely date on that article.
    OOps.
    Time travel class: Starts 1915

  27. #27
    Master M1011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    1,220
    Bizarre that someone would pay that much. Even if it is Patek who bought it back, there was still another bidder willing to pay almost as much to drive the price that high. Don't blame the seller, it's an absurd amount of money and in his shoes I imagine 99.99% of people would do the same.

    This watch is all a bit secretive. The Watch Guys on YouTube (ironically one person) got one of these and made a video awhile back, but that video was removed within a day and he was very vague as to why. He'd obviously put a lot of effort into the video, so I have a strong feeling Patek asked him to remove it.

  28. #28
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    32,411
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Never too rich to get caught with your hand in the cookie jar.
    To be fair, neither you nor I would turn our noses up at a £300k profit

  29. #29
    There is a price point at which anything, however beautiful or marvelous simply becomes grotesque. What AP have done is make it just that.

    Marques are becoming too arrogant. Because they sell to the super rich they think it’s status by association. It’s not.

    Make. Sell. Service. Stop with the games.

    FWIW I think it looks bloody awful.

  30. #30
    Master daveyw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,849
    I can understand Patek buying it. Stern said himself that his number one priority was protecting the value of his customers watches. A big move but this would do it.
    Still crazy though.

  31. #31

  32. #32
    Grand Master wileeeeeey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    10,422
    You have to feel for the guys who sold him that watch still sealed, they're going to be in a world of poo over this. The guy flipping is out of their control but still being sealed is a p take.

  33. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    You have to feel for the guys who sold him that watch still sealed, they're going to be in a world of poo over this. The guy flipping is out of their control but still being sealed is a p take.
    I feel very sorry for them. They were probably put in a very awkward situation where they would've got reprimanded for not giving him what he asked for given his spending, so they did, and now the reprimand is coming from even higher up. Grim.

  34. #34
    Master Sinnlover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    6,038
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    OOps.
    “The feedback we are receiving is that many people are not enjoying the process of buying luxury watches anymore, particularly the Patek Philippe brand, which some people claim are very stressful to purchase”.

    It’s a great spoof and not too far from the mark. Bless their little cotton socks…

  35. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHooky View Post
    What AP have done is make it just that.


    Think you meant PP not AP here?

  36. #36
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    246
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    I feel very sorry for them. They were probably put in a very awkward situation where they would've got reprimanded for not giving him what he asked for given his spending, so they did, and now the reprimand is coming from even higher up. Grim.
    I wouldn’t feel too sorry for them. Turns out by all accounts that the watch was sold to the Son of the AD shortly before she retired the dealership.

  37. #37
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    End of the world
    Posts
    3,109
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Satori View Post
    I wouldn’t feel too sorry for them. Turns out by all accounts that the watch was sold to the Son of the AD shortly before she retired the dealership.
    Yes I also just read that.

    Appears they timed it perfect to get one of the allocation before closing / retiring the dealership.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information