closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone recommend a decent Charcoal BBQ for around 300-400GBP?

Master
    Agree with previous poster. The chimney is fantastic when cooking for an extended period of time. I also have a brick barbecue in the garden, which I rarely if ever use. We did have a house warming 2 years ago and had to cook for about 30 people. Had both bbq and the chimney in use.

I often cook a leg of lamb but I've never cooked brisket, but maybe this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Really looking forward to trying to cook a brisket, love burnt ends so hopefully it’s a cook I can master along with ribs…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Pork belly burnt ends, much easier, filthy good

If you’re anywhere near north London , archway metals do clay lined coal bbqs used in lots of Turkish restaurants and by the Greek and Turkish communities around here.

Craftsman
    Another vote for Weber kettle.

First one bought in the USA in 1986. Lasted 25 years. Always outside in all weathers- never bought a cover.
    Replaced 10 years ago and still going strong.

It probably won’t affect your decision but I can tell you that a full size Weber will fit down the machinery space hatch of a nuclear submarine and you can fit two in the engine room - one either side of the gearbox……

Quote Originally Posted by CriticalMass View Post
    Another vote for Weber kettle.

First one bought in the USA in 1986. Lasted 25 years. Always outside in all weathers- never bought a cover.
    Replaced 10 years ago and still going strong.

It probably won’t affect your decision but I can tell you that a full size Weber will fit down the machinery space hatch of a nuclear submarine and you can fit two in the engine room - one either side of the gearbox……
    Yeah but how did you get past the smoke and fire alarms???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    I cheat for my ribs and sous vide first, finish on the webber. Do you have recipes for your ribs and brisket

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk
    Baby back ribs: remove membrane with a dinner knife. Dry rub with salt, pepper, paprika, onion powder and garlic powder. Leave in the fridge for a few hours or overnight. Set up bbq with char baskets for indirect cooking with a handful or two of fresh charcoal in each then light a chimney of charcoal and split it between each basket when ready. Tray of water between the char baskets and a chunk of applewood on the coals. Ribs on grill, lid on. Cook at a grill temp of around 120 degrees for about 2-3 hours, basting them with bbq sauce for the last half hour if you want sticky ribs. Rest in twin layers of foil wrap for 30 mins. Carve at table for max impact.

Brisket: trim off any thick bits of fat. Rub with soft brown sugar, salt, pepper and paprika. Set up bbq for the snake method and dump half a chimney on the end of the snake and add a couple of chunks of smoke wood (I used apple and cherry). Put beef on the grill opposite the heat (you will need to move it as the snake burns) and cook at a grill temp of around 110deg for at least 10 hours with a tray of water under the meat. Monitor temps and charcoal/wood and adjust as necessary. Wrap in two layers of foil for the last hour of cooking and then let it rest for as long as you can bear - at least two hours. I did this with some mates overnight drinking beers and monitoring the kettle - good times!

Lets have some more recipes!

Quote Originally Posted by rico View Post
    Lets have some more recipes!
    Pork belly burnt ends
    Pork belly, no bone. Slice your own from a slab or I buy slices from Asda, nice and thick, you want about 1-1.25 inch thick, the ones I see in Morrisons are always too thin. Take the skin off, some times you get lucky and the ready sliced stuff is already skinless
    Cut into 1-1.25in cubes
    Cover in a good BBQ rub, I make my own, Memphis dust, recipe on Google, make sure it's the old one with salt included
    Smoke at 235-270F for 2hrs (snake method on a kettle). I put them on a wire mesh sheet thing to stop them falling through the cooking grate
    After 2hrs, into a foil tray, glug of apple juice, few knobs of butter, sprinkle of brown sugar, drizzle of honey, cover with foil and back on for another 2hrs
    After 2hrs, drain liquid (don't pour it down the sink!), Cover generously with BBQ sauce still in the tray, I use sweet baby rays, then back on uncovered for 1hr, giving them a mix round half way through
    Eat, then regret not making enough cos they sooo damn good and they all went in 5mins

A note on doing brisket
    Don't watch videos of Americans doing those big juicy briskets and think you can pop to Tesco, grab a rolled brisket and recreate it.
    Firstly, our beef is different, grass rather than grain fed, also slaughtered earlier, so smaller and leaner.
    Secondly, a brisket contains 2 muscles, the fattier point and the leaner flat, yanks cook either a full packer (point+flat) or just the point. You won't find either of those in a supermarket or normal butchers, what we call brisket is a rolled piece of flat, which doesn't lend itself to BBQ smoking like they do over the pond. You can buy US, Argentinian, Aussie full briskets online from speciality butchers, but you'll be paying £80 and up. You can do nice things with a UK rolled flat brisket though, Google Marcus Bawdon pot roast brisket, basically braised in beer in a tray, I do that quite often, turns out great

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    Pork belly burnt ends
    Pork belly, no bone. Slice your own from a slab or I buy slices from Asda, nice and thick, you want about 1-1.25 inch thick, the ones I see in Morrisons are always too thin. Take the skin off, some times you get lucky and the ready sliced stuff is already skinless
    Cut into 1-1.25in cubes
    Cover in a good BBQ rub, I make my own, Memphis dust, recipe on Google, make sure it's the old one with salt included
    Smoke at 235-270F for 2hrs (snake method on a kettle). I put them on a wire mesh sheet thing to stop them falling through the cooking grate
    After 2hrs, into a foil tray, glug of apple juice, few knobs of butter, sprinkle of brown sugar, drizzle of honey, cover with foil and back on for another 2hrs
    After 2hrs, drain liquid (don't pour it down the sink!), Cover generously with BBQ sauce still in the tray, I use sweet baby rays, then back on uncovered for 1hr, giving them a mix round half way through
    Eat, then regret not making enough cos they sooo damn good and they all went in 5mins
    Birthday tomorrow and I have my daughter around I think I’ll have a pop at this thanks

All of this talk about slow cooking on a BBQ is fine, it can of course be done, but it is a glaringly obvious missed opportunity to apply some good old fashioned bloke logic.

What the OP 'REALLY' needs is a Weber Smokey Mountain to go alongside his Mastertouch.....
    https://www.weber.com/GB/en/barbecue...cooker-series/

You know it makes sense really.....

Thanks Rico for the reply

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    All of this talk about slow cooking on a BBQ is fine, it can of course be done, but it is a glaringly obvious missed opportunity to apply some good old fashioned bloke logic.

What the OP 'REALLY' needs is a Weber Smokey Mountain to go alongside his Mastertouch.....
    https://www.weber.com/GB/en/barbecue...cooker-series/

You know it makes sense really.....
    Yes, it's what I did, though not a WSM, they may have invented the bullet smoker, but others have improved on it, are cheaper and have better build quality too, there's ProQ, Napolean and Fornetto (which i have). Though before buying one of those, it's a good idea to do a few low n slow cooks on your kettle to get the hang of it and to see if you actually enjoy it before shelling out on a separate smoker