closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Anyone recommend a decent Charcoal BBQ for around 300-400GBP?

Hybrid View

Anyone recommend a decent Charcoal BBQ for around 300-400GBP?

So my gas bbq has gone and I’m fancying a proper charcoal BBQ now instead.

Anyone got a good one they’d recommend for around £300-£400?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    IMO anything Weber will be good
    This ones not a bad shout
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Weber-Compa...6887371&sr=8-3

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    IMO anything Weber will be good
    This ones not a bad shout
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Weber-Compa...6887371&sr=8-3
    I've had that model (or possibly the previous version) for 8 years and still going strong. I use a chimney starter, the current one I picked up three years ago in a Waitrose end of summer sale. I'd also suggest getting a cover. I store mine outdoor during the summer and in the garden shed during the winter. Pick up a set of barbecue utensils, some charcoal and a wire cleaner. You can spend the rest of your budget on meat, wine and beer.

Master
    Dancook kettles, Danish company, made from stainless steel and aluminium, can be had as freestanding kettles or ‘kitchen’ units. We have 2 1500’s, got them in 2014 and zero issues

The only issue is finding a U.K. retailer.

https://www.dancook.dk/products-list

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Dancook kettles, Danish company, made from stainless steel and aluminium, can be had as freestanding kettles or ‘kitchen’ units. We have 2 1500’s, got them in 2014 and zero issues

The only issue is finding a U.K. retailer.

https://www.dancook.dk/products-list
    Dancook have an Amazon Store

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dancook-150..._dp&th=1&psc=1
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

You can have anyone you want as long as it’s a Webber

The Weber Master Touch kettle bbq, a chimney starter and a good wireless thermometer is all you need.

Quote Originally Posted by mylofitz View Post
    The Weber Master Touch kettle bbq, a chimney starter and a good wireless thermometer is all you need.
    This. 100% agree!

Ribeye cooked in my Weber this weekend.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I just bought this from Costco. Exceptionally well made
    https://www.costco.co.uk/Garden-Shed...Cart/p/1900670

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the pointers so far, i'm liking the look of this one and its seems a decent price...

https://www.trustedreviews.com/revie...er-mastertouch

Anyone got one of these?

I’ve had one for years. Lights easily and assembly takes 5 mins so feel criticism in the review unfair. Works extremely well.

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Anyone got one of these?
    Yes.

I’ve also had one for years. As someone said above, get one of these, a chimney starter & a wireless meat thermometer. That will get you started.

Then, if you want, be prepared to be sucked into a Weber-inspired black hole of smoking and slow cooking.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    Yes.

I’ve also had one for years. As someone said above, get one of these, a chimney starter & a wireless meat thermometer. That will get you started.

Then, if you want, be prepared to be sucked into a Weber-inspired black hole of smoking and slow cooking.
    This. Don't forget the rotisserie kit as well. I'll not cook a chicken any other way

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Can't go wrong with Weber. Mine's sat outside, sun, rain and snow, for 5 years, and the only bit that doesn't look like new is the screw for the top vent. It's possibly the most well made thing I own (watches aside ofc).

Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    Don't forget the rotisserie kit as well.
    That starts getting a bit more expensive. The Weber rotisserie is another £200.

‘Beer can chicken’ is easy enough. Either with an actual beer can or with the, surprise surprise, Weber ‘beer can’ accessory (which also helps to roast some veggies).

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    ‘Beer can chicken’ is easy enough. Either with an actual beer can or with the, surprise surprise, Weber ‘beer can’ accessory (which also helps to roast some veggies).
    The Weber 'can' (aka £71 Poultry Roaster) doesn't have printing inks and internal plastic coating that may or may not give off nasty fumes when heated.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the pointers so far, i'm liking the look of this one and its seems a decent price...

Anyone got one of these?
    We've got one. As per the review, it took a little time to assemble but you only have to do that once. We use a chimney thingy to start it.

It's very well made and looks set to last.

Master

Anyone got one of these?
    Yep. Had it for 5/6 years with rotisserie attachment, chimney starter and wireless thermometer. Buy decent charcoal and you can’t go wrong

Another vote for the Weber

Have had ours now for 4 seasons

I tried the chimney starter, gave up and just use firefighters and restaurant grade charcoal, have found it easy to light, last a long time and gives good flavour

For a chicken I pull the baskets apart, take the top rack off and leave it covered for about 1.5 hours, insert garlic lime/lemon or what you fancy in the neck of the chicken and sit it on an open can of beer

Whatever you get enjoy
    Last edited by nick67; 22nd July 2021 at 08:10.

Quote Originally Posted by nick67 View Post
    I tried the chimney starter, gave up and just use firefighters

Definitely Weber Mastertouch

Out of stock just at the min, but gooutdoors is cheapest, £275 then an extra 10% off if your kids are beavers/cubs/scouts, or 15% with a blue light card or you're a beaver/cub/scout leader (or know someone who is)

For Briquettes, Weber or Aussie heatbeads are best, i also find the Bar-Be-Quick wood free ones ok for grilling, not so good for low and slow. For lumpwood, avoid the Weber stuff, awful, use Big K restaurant grade, or online company globaltic is well thought of on my BBQ facebook group, also Fogonuk

If you get a kettle, a rotisserie attachment is a great thing to have. Amazon do Weber compatible ones by onlyfire that are good and nearly half the price of weber own brand. I have their rotisserie pizza oven combo

Echo the chimney starter recommendation, been a revelation for me, 1 or 2 natural firelighters (i use Lektowoodfuels) under a chimney, and you're ready to cook in 10-15 mins
    Last edited by Brighty; 22nd July 2021 at 09:23.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    Buy decent charcoal and you can’t go wrong
    Any recommendations for Charcoal?

Quote Originally Posted by Estoril-5 View Post
    We use this one

https://www.homefire.co.uk/restauran...RoCy8gQAvD_BwE

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Estoril-5 View Post
    I tend to use Big K restaurant grade, Aussie Heatbeads and for low and slow Coconut shell charcoal briquettes

I have one of these, under your budget but excellent quality.

Massive cooking surface, not sure why anyone would spend more.

Ps. Chimney starter a must!

https://www.costco.co.uk/Garden-Shed...Cart/p/1900670

Blimey - Who knew charcoal BBQs could be so compicated!

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Yep cheers for all the advice guys, just placed an order for the Weber Master Touch E-5750 and the Chimney lighter thing.
    Looking forward to building it and getting it lit…

Now to order a cover and get looking on a good rib recipe…

Yep cheers for all the advice guys, just placed an order for the Weber Master Touch E-5750 and the Chimney lighter thing.
    Looking forward to building it and getting it lit…

Now to order a cover and get looking on a good rib recipe…

Weber covers are a bit pricey. I got this one and it's holding up well after nearly 2 years. It's a touch shorter than it looks in the pics, but does the job

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B074HDCZ...GZMHEJHDX64N20
    Last edited by Brighty; 22nd July 2021 at 20:08.

Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    Weber covers are a bit pricey. I got this one and it's holding up well after nearly 2 years. It's a touch shorter than it looks in the pics, but does the job

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B074HDCZ...GZMHEJHDX64N20
    Thanks, got a Weber cover from eBay for a lot less than some of the Weber retailers…

Thanks, got a Weber cover from eBay for a lot less than some of the Weber retailers…

Really looking forward to trying to cook a brisket, love burnt ends so hopefully it’s a cook I can master along with ribs…

Really looking forward to trying to cook a brisket, love burnt ends so hopefully it’s a cook I can master along with ribs…

Pork belly burnt ends, much easier, filthy good

Totally with everyone here. Master touch and a chimney. Slow ribs, pulled pork, brisket all gone down a treat at chez Japester.
    Do I get all the “
    oooh you’ve been playing with your meat” jokes all day? Yes…Does everyone STFU when it’s ready? You bet they do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I’ve done slow n low ribs, pork tenderloin, beef Chuck roast and most recently a 12 hour brisket which was immense. Love my Weber kettle!

Quote Originally Posted by rico View Post
    I’ve done slow n low ribs, pork tenderloin, beef Chuck roast and most recently a 12 hour brisket which was immense. Love my Weber kettle!
    I cheat for my ribs and sous vide first, finish on the webber. Do you have recipes for your ribs and brisket

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    I cheat for my ribs and sous vide first, finish on the webber. Do you have recipes for your ribs and brisket

Baby back ribs: remove membrane with a dinner knife. Dry rub with salt, pepper, paprika, onion powder and garlic powder. Leave in the fridge for a few hours or overnight. Set up bbq with char baskets for indirect cooking with a handful or two of fresh charcoal in each then light a chimney of charcoal and split it between each basket when ready. Tray of water between the char baskets and a chunk of applewood on the coals. Ribs on grill, lid on. Cook at a grill temp of around 120 degrees for about 2-3 hours, basting them with bbq sauce for the last half hour if you want sticky ribs. Rest in twin layers of foil wrap for 30 mins. Carve at table for max impact.

Brisket: trim off any thick bits of fat. Rub with soft brown sugar, salt, pepper and paprika. Set up bbq for the snake method and dump half a chimney on the end of the snake and add a couple of chunks of smoke wood (I used apple and cherry). Put beef on the grill opposite the heat (you will need to move it as the snake burns) and cook at a grill temp of around 110deg for at least 10 hours with a tray of water under the meat. Monitor temps and charcoal/wood and adjust as necessary. Wrap in two layers of foil for the last hour of cooking and then let it rest for as long as you can bear - at least two hours. I did this with some mates overnight drinking beers and monitoring the kettle - good times!

Lets have some more recipes!

Quote Originally Posted by rico View Post
    Lets have some more recipes!
    Pork belly burnt ends
    Pork belly, no bone. Slice your own from a slab or I buy slices from Asda, nice and thick, you want about 1-1.25 inch thick, the ones I see in Morrisons are always too thin. Take the skin off, some times you get lucky and the ready sliced stuff is already skinless
    Cut into 1-1.25in cubes
    Cover in a good BBQ rub, I make my own, Memphis dust, recipe on Google, make sure it's the old one with salt included
    Smoke at 235-270F for 2hrs (snake method on a kettle). I put them on a wire mesh sheet thing to stop them falling through the cooking grate
    After 2hrs, into a foil tray, glug of apple juice, few knobs of butter, sprinkle of brown sugar, drizzle of honey, cover with foil and back on for another 2hrs
    After 2hrs, drain liquid (don't pour it down the sink!), Cover generously with BBQ sauce still in the tray, I use sweet baby rays, then back on uncovered for 1hr, giving them a mix round half way through
    Eat, then regret not making enough cos they sooo damn good and they all went in 5mins

Just bought 2 x 8kg bags of Weber Brickettes from GoOutdoors for £20, seems to be the best price I could see online…

Master
    Agree with previous poster. The chimney is fantastic when cooking for an extended period of time. I also have a brick barbecue in the garden, which I rarely if ever use. We did have a house warming 2 years ago and had to cook for about 30 people. Had both bbq and the chimney in use.

I often cook a leg of lamb but I've never cooked brisket, but maybe this weekend.

If you’re anywhere near north London , archway metals do clay lined coal bbqs used in lots of Turkish restaurants and by the Greek and Turkish communities around here.

Craftsman
    Another vote for Weber kettle.

First one bought in the USA in 1986. Lasted 25 years. Always outside in all weathers- never bought a cover.
    Replaced 10 years ago and still going strong.

It probably won’t affect your decision but I can tell you that a full size Weber will fit down the machinery space hatch of a nuclear submarine and you can fit two in the engine room - one either side of the gearbox……

Quote Originally Posted by CriticalMass View Post
    Another vote for Weber kettle.

First one bought in the USA in 1986. Lasted 25 years. Always outside in all weathers- never bought a cover.
    Replaced 10 years ago and still going strong.

It probably won’t affect your decision but I can tell you that a full size Weber will fit down the machinery space hatch of a nuclear submarine and you can fit two in the engine room - one either side of the gearbox……
    Yeah but how did you get past the smoke and fire alarms???

Thanks Rico for the reply