closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone recommend a decent Charcoal BBQ for around 300-400GBP?

Anyone recommend a decent Charcoal BBQ for around 300-400GBP?

So my gas bbq has gone and I’m fancying a proper charcoal BBQ now instead.

Anyone got a good one they’d recommend for around £300-£400?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    IMO anything Weber will be good
    This ones not a bad shout
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Weber-Compa...6887371&sr=8-3

You can have anyone you want as long as it’s a Webber

The Weber Master Touch kettle bbq, a chimney starter and a good wireless thermometer is all you need.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    IMO anything Weber will be good
    This ones not a bad shout
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Weber-Compa...6887371&sr=8-3
    I've had that model (or possibly the previous version) for 8 years and still going strong. I use a chimney starter, the current one I picked up three years ago in a Waitrose end of summer sale. I'd also suggest getting a cover. I store mine outdoor during the summer and in the garden shed during the winter. Pick up a set of barbecue utensils, some charcoal and a wire cleaner. You can spend the rest of your budget on meat, wine and beer.

Master
    Dancook kettles, Danish company, made from stainless steel and aluminium, can be had as freestanding kettles or ‘kitchen’ units. We have 2 1500’s, got them in 2014 and zero issues

The only issue is finding a U.K. retailer.

https://www.dancook.dk/products-list

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Dancook kettles, Danish company, made from stainless steel and aluminium, can be had as freestanding kettles or ‘kitchen’ units. We have 2 1500’s, got them in 2014 and zero issues

The only issue is finding a U.K. retailer.

https://www.dancook.dk/products-list
    Dancook have an Amazon Store

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dancook-150..._dp&th=1&psc=1
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Blog Entries
    I just bought this from Costco. Exceptionally well made
    https://www.costco.co.uk/Garden-Shed...Cart/p/1900670

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the pointers so far, i'm liking the look of this one and its seems a decent price...

https://www.trustedreviews.com/revie...er-mastertouch

Anyone got one of these?

I’ve had one for years. Lights easily and assembly takes 5 mins so feel criticism in the review unfair. Works extremely well.

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Anyone got one of these?
    Yes.

I’ve also had one for years. As someone said above, get one of these, a chimney starter & a wireless meat thermometer. That will get you started.

Then, if you want, be prepared to be sucked into a Weber-inspired black hole of smoking and slow cooking.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    Yes.

I’ve also had one for years. As someone said above, get one of these, a chimney starter & a wireless meat thermometer. That will get you started.

Then, if you want, be prepared to be sucked into a Weber-inspired black hole of smoking and slow cooking.
    This. Don't forget the rotisserie kit as well. I'll not cook a chicken any other way

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Can't go wrong with Weber. Mine's sat outside, sun, rain and snow, for 5 years, and the only bit that doesn't look like new is the screw for the top vent. It's possibly the most well made thing I own (watches aside ofc).

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the pointers so far, i'm liking the look of this one and its seems a decent price...

Anyone got one of these?
    We've got one. As per the review, it took a little time to assemble but you only have to do that once. We use a chimney thingy to start it.

It's very well made and looks set to last.

I have one of these, under your budget but excellent quality.

Massive cooking surface, not sure why anyone would spend more.

Ps. Chimney starter a must!

https://www.costco.co.uk/Garden-Shed...Cart/p/1900670

Master

Anyone got one of these?
    Yep. Had it for 5/6 years with rotisserie attachment, chimney starter and wireless thermometer. Buy decent charcoal and you can’t go wrong

Another vote for the Weber

Have had ours now for 4 seasons

I tried the chimney starter, gave up and just use firefighters and restaurant grade charcoal, have found it easy to light, last a long time and gives good flavour

For a chicken I pull the baskets apart, take the top rack off and leave it covered for about 1.5 hours, insert garlic lime/lemon or what you fancy in the neck of the chicken and sit it on an open can of beer

Whatever you get enjoy
    Last edited by nick67; 22nd July 2021 at 08:10.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    Buy decent charcoal and you can’t go wrong
    Any recommendations for Charcoal?

Quote Originally Posted by Estoril-5 View Post
    We use this one

https://www.homefire.co.uk/restauran...RoCy8gQAvD_BwE

Quote Originally Posted by nick67 View Post
    I tried the chimney starter, gave up and just use firefighters

Definitely Weber Mastertouch

Out of stock just at the min, but gooutdoors is cheapest, £275 then an extra 10% off if your kids are beavers/cubs/scouts, or 15% with a blue light card or you're a beaver/cub/scout leader (or know someone who is)

For Briquettes, Weber or Aussie heatbeads are best, i also find the Bar-Be-Quick wood free ones ok for grilling, not so good for low and slow. For lumpwood, avoid the Weber stuff, awful, use Big K restaurant grade, or online company globaltic is well thought of on my BBQ facebook group, also Fogonuk

If you get a kettle, a rotisserie attachment is a great thing to have. Amazon do Weber compatible ones by onlyfire that are good and nearly half the price of weber own brand. I have their rotisserie pizza oven combo

Echo the chimney starter recommendation, been a revelation for me, 1 or 2 natural firelighters (i use Lektowoodfuels) under a chimney, and you're ready to cook in 10-15 mins
    Last edited by Brighty; 22nd July 2021 at 09:23.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post

Echo the chimney starter recommendation, been a revelation for me, 1 or 2 natural firelighters (i use Lektowoodfuels) under a chimney, and you're ready to cook in 10-15 mins
    I have a weber chimney starter but never have been ready for coals in 15 mins. If i fill the starter 4/5 full, it takes around 30 mins for the top coals to start burning (not greyed over - still mostly black/unburnt) - maybe im doing something wrong

I have a weber chimney starter but never have been ready for coals in 15 mins. If i fill the starter 4/5 full, it takes around 30 mins for the top coals to start burning (not greyed over - still mostly black/unburnt) - maybe im doing something wrong
    I use 3 weber fire lighters cubes under my starter and the weber briquettes. A near full chimney is about 20 min for me. Like you though the top ones are just starting to go grey.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    I use 3 weber fire lighters cubes under my starter and the weber briquettes. A near full chimney is about 20 min for me. Like you though the top ones are just starting to go grey.

i use a zip firelighter or two to kick it off, never had much luck with newspaper, might give it a go again.

Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    Don't forget the rotisserie kit as well.
    That starts getting a bit more expensive. The Weber rotisserie is another £200.

‘Beer can chicken’ is easy enough. Either with an actual beer can or with the, surprise surprise, Weber ‘beer can’ accessory (which also helps to roast some veggies).

If you get a kettle, a rotisserie attachment is a great thing to have. Amazon do Weber compatible ones by onlyfire that are good and nearly half the price of weber own brand. I have their rotisserie pizza oven combo
    This one?

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07XHF...2ZNRABRKADBXZD

Hmmm, interesting… 🤔

Blimey - Who knew charcoal BBQs could be so compicated!

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

i use a zip firelighter or two to kick it off, never had much luck with newspaper, might give it a go again.
    I've tried a few different lighters and seem to get best results with 3 of the lighter cubes.

Quote Originally Posted by mylofitz View Post
    The Weber Master Touch kettle bbq, a chimney starter and a good wireless thermometer is all you need.
    This. 100% agree!

Ribeye cooked in my Weber this weekend.

‘Beer can chicken’ is easy enough. Either with an actual beer can or with the, surprise surprise, Weber ‘beer can’ accessory (which also helps to roast some veggies).
    The Weber 'can' (aka £71 Poultry Roaster) doesn't have printing inks and internal plastic coating that may or may not give off nasty fumes when heated.

Yeah, that's the one i have. Not used the pizza function yet, but rotisserie is great. If you're not fussed with the pizza bit, the standard rotisserie kit is cheaper at £115

Anyone else see a resemblance to Bender?

[IMG][/IMG]

Master
    I tend to use Big K restaurant grade, Aussie Heatbeads and for low and slow Coconut shell charcoal briquettes

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Anyone else see a resemblance to Bender?

[IMG][/IMG]
    Please insert girder

Another vote for the Webber Mastertouch. I have one and love it, mine must be around 8 years old now and still looks like new - other than where I dropped the lid.

Make sure you get a chimney starter and a Thermapen too. Forget the 'light it with newspaper' approach though and use eco woodwool firelighters instead.

Big K restaurant grade lumpwood charcoal. It is more expensive than the Tescos/B&Q stuff but is WAY better.

Learn how to cook the half/half method with the lid on and you will be flying. I seem to recall that Webber have a few videos showing that somewhere on their website.

I have found lumpwood is ready in 10-15 minutes, but briquettes take a bit longer.

I no longer use briquettes at all though nowadays due to the nasty chemicals involved with their manufacture which can be pretty grim, particularly when used on my Webber smoker.

Am I a savage for just using the charcoal in bags where you just set light to the bag, leave it then it's ready to spread out and cook with in about 20 mins? Why make it more complicated with the chimney device?

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Am I a savage for just using the charcoal in bags where you just set light to the bag, leave it then it's ready to spread out and cook with in about 20 mins? Why make it more complicated with the chimney device?
    It probably depends on how much charcoal you use and how often you BBQ.

The chimney starter lets you use whatever charcoal you like, lumpwood, briquettes, restaurant grade etc, rather than having to use whatever is inside the bag. It is also probably cheaper long term too, as I would expect that the 'self lighting' stuff costs a premium above an ordinary bag of charcoal.

For bigger cook-ups, the starter also lets you light the next batch of charcoal outside the BBQ area, so you can just light it on the patio and then tip it into the BBQ when it is already lit and ready to cook - don't do that on timber decking areas though!

They really are so simple to use and from memory only cost about £20. I agree though, it may all sound a bit gimmicky, but I wouldn't be without mine now.

In my experience those create vast amount of smoke and very strong horrible firefighter smell. Maybe the particular brand I tried.

I used to use those, but have now seen the light. Went camping with friends recently and all 3 families did a BBQ cook up and everyone ate bits of everything. The stuff cooked by my mate with instant light bags tasted like petrol compared to the other 2 lots of grub

Thanks for the advice guys, that all makes perfect sense, I'm going to try the Chimney method and see how much better it is, I like the idea of higher grade charcoal options too.

Yep cheers for all the advice guys, just placed an order for the Weber Master Touch E-5750 and the Chimney lighter thing.
    Looking forward to building it and getting it lit…

Now to order a cover and get looking on a good rib recipe…

Thanks for the advice guys, that all makes perfect sense, I'm going to try the Chimney method and see how much better it is, I like the idea of higher grade charcoal options too.
    Post some photos, sure we'll be interested to see...

https://youtu.be/Tkisiwa-97c?t=47

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Totally with everyone here. Master touch and a chimney. Slow ribs, pulled pork, brisket all gone down a treat at chez Japester.
    Do I get all the “
    oooh you’ve been playing with your meat” jokes all day? Yes…Does everyone STFU when it’s ready? You bet they do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I’ve done slow n low ribs, pork tenderloin, beef Chuck roast and most recently a 12 hour brisket which was immense. Love my Weber kettle!

Just bought 2 x 8kg bags of Weber Brickettes from GoOutdoors for £20, seems to be the best price I could see online…

Quote Originally Posted by rico View Post
    I’ve done slow n low ribs, pork tenderloin, beef Chuck roast and most recently a 12 hour brisket which was immense. Love my Weber kettle!
    I cheat for my ribs and sous vide first, finish on the webber. Do you have recipes for your ribs and brisket

Yep cheers for all the advice guys, just placed an order for the Weber Master Touch E-5750 and the Chimney lighter thing.
    Looking forward to building it and getting it lit…

Now to order a cover and get looking on a good rib recipe…

Weber covers are a bit pricey. I got this one and it's holding up well after nearly 2 years. It's a touch shorter than it looks in the pics, but does the job

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B074HDCZ...GZMHEJHDX64N20
    Last edited by Brighty; 22nd July 2021 at 20:08.

Weber covers are a bit pricey. I got this one and it's holding up well after nearly 2 years. It's a touch shorter than it looks in the pics, but does the job

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B074HDCZ...GZMHEJHDX64N20
    Thanks, got a Weber cover from eBay for a lot less than some of the Weber retailers…

Thanks, got a Weber cover from eBay for a lot less than some of the Weber retailers…

Really looking forward to trying to cook a brisket, love burnt ends so hopefully it’s a cook I can master along with ribs…