closing tag is in template navbar
Time Factors Watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 39 of 39

Thread: Question re car brakes replacement

  1. #1

    Question re car brakes replacement

    Iíve been shopping around for car brakes (discs and pads) and was surprised to be offered the choice between cheapest, intermediate and premium components.
    Could anyone advise the difference between these 3 options? Iím going for the premium but just wanted to check its worth the extra.

  2. #2
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,389
    Blog Entries
    5
    What car?
    And what makes weíre you offered in each bracket?

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    What car?
    And what makes weíre you offered in each bracket?

    208 gti. No brand names mentioned, just a price differential (£150 between cheapest and premium)

  4. #4
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    10,289
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by ODP View Post
    Iíve been shopping around for car brakes (discs and pads) and was surprised to be offered the choice between cheapest, intermediate and premium components.
    Could anyone advise the difference between these 3 options? Iím going for the premium but just wanted to check its worth the extra.
    Yes, pads are like tyres, the cheapest nastiest ones are always just fine until the moment you really, really need them - at which point you would have paid anything to have the best. When buying components I always defer to that moment. In this case, unless you really like autosports or live somewhere really hilly the mid range stuff is absolutely fine IMHO as most of the advantage is about fade when really pushed.

  5. #5
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    725
    Definitely agree with Dave.

    I would add - what you use the car for.

    Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

  6. #6
    Surely the OE is Valeo, their parts are so cheap itís not worth dicking about

  7. #7
    The price quoted for the premium (from a very well regarded local garage) is £490 for all 4 pads and discs.
    Seemís very reasonable. Halfords came in at £690 without mention of the quality used (although not oem).

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by ODP View Post
    The price quoted for the premium (from a very well regarded local garage) is £490 for all 4 pads and discs.
    Seemís very reasonable. Halfords came in at £690 without mention of the quality used (although not oem).
    How much are the parts?

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    How much are the parts?

    Havenít had the breakdown yet, I just gave them an initial enquiry call.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by ODP View Post
    Havenít had the breakdown yet, I just gave them an initial enquiry call.
    What year and model is the car?

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    What year and model is the car?

    2015 Peugeot 208 gti

  12. #12
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    1,273
    EBC Greenstuff are about 60gbp for a front pair for a 208 and Pagid about the same. I would drive (enthusiastically) with either

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by stiglet View Post
    EBC Greenstuff are about 60gbp for a front pair for a 208 and Pagid about the same. I would drive (enthusiastically) with either

    Is that discs as well?

  14. #14
    Assuming itís a 1.6 petrol Euroís are £80.27 for Brembo front discs and pads using code Gold50

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Assuming itís a 1.6 petrol Euroís are £80.27 for Brembo front discs and pads using code Gold50

    The gti has bigger discs (biggest in the Peugeot line up)

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by ODP View Post
    The gti has bigger discs (biggest in the Peugeot line up)
    Go onto Euros site and put your registration number in

  17. #17
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    1,273
    Quote Originally Posted by ODP View Post
    Is that discs as well?
    Sorry - pads only. For road use I would spend any "premium" on the pads. Bosch vented discs are about £60 a pair I think

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Go onto Euros site and put your registration number in

    Thanks. Iíve had a look and the problem seems to be that they have to have wheel bearings and abs fitment included. A lot of the aftermarket ones donít have this?

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by ODP View Post
    Thanks. Iíve had a look and the problem seems to be that they have to have wheel bearings and abs fitment included. A lot of the aftermarket ones donít have this?
    I donít understand that, Clio rear discs include the wheel bearing, it comes fitted to the disc and is included in the price, why is your car different ?

    Other than that wheel bearing and discs are completely different jobs, so did you get a quote for discs and pads or pads discs and wheel bearings?

  20. #20
    Master Kaffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Grindsted, Danmark
    Posts
    1,214
    I'm sure you all think I'm insane but when it comes to brake parts on a car I always fit genuine items. They fit, they work and they last longer. At least that's my experience.

  21. #21
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    290
    I would imagine the mid range option is OEM quality and the premium is an upgrade from this.

    Depending on how you use the car, would you be happy with OEM quality or do you need the upgraded option?

  22. #22
    Master Anygreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Cheshire England
    Posts
    1,090
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaffe View Post
    I'm sure you all think I'm insane but when it comes to brake parts on a car I always fit genuine items. They fit, they work and they last longer. At least that's my experience.
    I can understand why people do this but remember that the manufacturer doesnít make the brake pad, so youíre just overpaying for the manufacturer logo on the box. Little bit of research will reveal the actual manufacturer. Exact same part, good saving. BMW is a typical example of this. In most cases when you examine the pad you buy from the main dealer, you will see the actual pad manufacturers logo on it.

    ATE, Valeo etc all make OEM brake pads. Google search should reveal who makes the pads/discs for your car.
    Steer clear of budget, that is unless you want huge amounts of squeal and brake dust.

  23. #23
    OEM pads don't necessarily provide the best stopping power. They are a compromise between stopping power & longevity.
    EBC Greenstuff are very good. They're softer, and will stop you quicker. The difference is very noticeable, but only if you have medium or soft compound tyres. On harder, tyres you probably won't notice the difference as tyre grip can be the limiting factor.

    They also don't fade as much as OEM pads. OEM kit isn't designed to repeatedly brake heavily from speed. Because, lets face it, who does that? Unless you're on a track, or slamming the anchors on from 150mph on the autobahn, you'll rarely notice fade.

    Grippier pads are available, but they don't offer good performance from cold and aren't good for road driving.

    Disc quality could be construction or cooling. Vented disc, cross drilling, grooving. Designed to do two jobs, to get rid of heat and to get rid of gasses that build up under the pads. You'll only see the difference under repeated heavy braking. Most likely you're paying for the brand name and the "reassuringly expensive" feeling that you're getting a quality part.

    Brake squeal can usually be addressed by applying a bit of damping grease or copaslip between the piston & the back of the pads.

    TLDR: Unless you're Juan Manuel Fangio, or planning to take your pug to a track, buy OEM, or at most OEM discs with Greenstuff pads.

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeveal View Post
    OEM pads don't necessarily provide the best stopping power. They are a compromise between stopping power & longevity.
    EBC Greenstuff are very good. They're softer, and will stop you quicker. The difference is very noticeable, but only if you have medium or soft compound tyres. On harder, tyres you probably won't notice the difference as tyre grip can be the limiting factor.

    They also don't fade as much as OEM pads. OEM kit isn't designed to repeatedly brake heavily from speed. Because, lets face it, who does that? Unless you're on a track, or slamming the anchors on from 150mph on the autobahn, you'll rarely notice fade.

    Grippier pads are available, but they don't offer good performance from cold and aren't good for road driving.

    Disc quality could be construction or cooling. Vented disc, cross drilling, grooving. Designed to do two jobs, to get rid of heat and to get rid of gasses that build up under the pads. You'll only see the difference under repeated heavy braking. Most likely you're paying for the brand name and the "reassuringly expensive" feeling that you're getting a quality part.

    Brake squeal can usually be addressed by applying a bit of damping grease or copaslip between the piston & the back of the pads.

    TLDR: Unless you're Juan Manuel Fangio, or planning to take your pug to a track, buy OEM, or at most OEM discs with Greenstuff pads.
    As part of the development and approval process car manufacturers match the Pads to the discs, this ensures consistency, reliability and longevity, funnily enough i don't know any one who likes EBC pads, Dutch company products made in China, I think, they really are the bottom end of the market and have a reputation for shortening disc life, at that end of the market Mintex are better. if you are looking at a performance pad it's Pagid RS29 but they are very expensive

  25. #25
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    4,449
    I tried them once & am now firmly in the Ďnever againí camp, they were awful & I swapped them out for my own sanity & safety.

  26. #26
    Master Harry Smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Wolverhampton
    Posts
    3,394
    Quote Originally Posted by ODP View Post
    2015 Peugeot 208 gti
    We've got one, a Prestige and it's a cracking little car. Last month I bought a complete set of front and rear Brembo Discs and pads from EuroCarParts and had a local guy fit them for me as I couldn't be arsed to do it myself. Less than £400 all in.
    As you know the brakes on the lightweight Pug are good anyway so unless you do trackdays or drive ten tenths the Brembos are fine. If you do thrash it the Brembo discs and PFC-Zrated pads are what you want.

  27. #27
    Master Harry Smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Wolverhampton
    Posts
    3,394
    Quote Originally Posted by ODP View Post
    Thanks. Iíve had a look and the problem seems to be that they have to have wheel bearings and abs fitment included. A lot of the aftermarket ones donít have this?
    The Brembos do

  28. #28
    Master Anygreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Cheshire England
    Posts
    1,090
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    As part of the development and approval process car manufacturers match the Pads to the discs, this ensures consistency, reliability and longevity, funnily enough i don't know any one who likes EBC pads, Dutch company products made in China, I think, they really are the bottom end of the market and have a reputation for shortening disc life, at that end of the market Mintex are better. if you are looking at a performance pad it's Pagid RS29 but they are very expensive
    I tried EBCís many moons ago, They were awful, agree, the Pagid RS are spot on but not cheap. Just steer clear of budget and buy from the main players.

  29. #29
    Grand Master JasonM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Cambridgeshire
    Posts
    14,835
    25 + years ago I used to do quite a lot of maintenance on my own cars, then I had contract maintained company cars for the next 20 years and now have my own car for business use that I pay to have serviced and maintained, Iím actually looking forward to my lad to get his first car in a few years so I can get the spanners out again for simple jobs, his first car is likely to be cheap and simple I guess.
    Cheers..
    Jase

  30. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    We've got one, a Prestige and it's a cracking little car. Last month I bought a complete set of front and rear Brembo Discs and pads from EuroCarParts and had a local guy fit them for me as I couldn't be arsed to do it myself. Less than £400 all in.
    As you know the brakes on the lightweight Pug are good anyway so unless you do trackdays or drive ten tenths the Brembos are fine. If you do thrash it the Brembo discs and PFC-Zrated pads are what you want.

    That sounds ideal. Do you have a link to the parts you bought? (Mine is the Prestige too)

  31. #31
    Master Harry Smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Wolverhampton
    Posts
    3,394
    Quote Originally Posted by ODP View Post
    That sounds ideal. Do you have a link to the parts you bought? (Mine is the Prestige too)
    Iíll look it up for you


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  32. #32
    Stick with TRW, Pagid or Brembo.

  33. #33
    Master Harry Smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Wolverhampton
    Posts
    3,394
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    I’ll look it up for you


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    So, I've totted up the price of full Brembo discs and pads and it comes to £332.96 which is what I paid. If you put your car reg into Eurocarparts site it will select it all for you. Sometimes they have discount campaigns or you can get codes for even more off. It's not a difficult job to fit them. Chap I know charged me £60. And they come with your aforementioned bearings and abs thingy.
    How many miles has yours done btw? Ours was just on 29,000 .
    Last edited by Harry Smith; 21st July 2021 at 23:00.

  34. #34
    Mines at 34000.
    To confirm you only needed to order the discs and pads, no other parts needed? Thanks
    Last edited by ODP; 22nd July 2021 at 07:45.

  35. #35
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    swansea uk
    Posts
    2,050
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    So, I've totted up the price of full Brembo discs and pads and it comes to £332.96 which is what I paid. If you put your car reg into Eurocarparts site it will select it all for you. Sometimes they have discount campaigns or you can get codes for even more off. It's not a difficult job to fit them. Chap I know charged me £60. And they come with your aforementioned bearings and abs thingy.
    How many miles has yours done btw? Ours was just on 29,000 .
    I always found carpart4less cheaper than Euros and that is with the discount codes applied to both.

    As for breaks, you can actually get better breaks than the originals for well known GTI`s if you can afford them

  36. #36
    Grand Master Chris_in_the_UK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Norf Yorks
    Posts
    38,917
    Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    I always found carpart4less cheaper than Euros and that is with the discount codes applied to both.
    Oddly, they are part of the same firm.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

  37. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Oddly, they are part of the same firm.
    You can also click and collect from Euro if you order from CP4Less. Iíd also stick with Pagid and Brembo if ordering bits from them. Donít go near EicherÖ

  38. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Oddly, they are part of the same firm.
    Give him a brake.

  39. #39
    Master Harry Smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Wolverhampton
    Posts
    3,394
    Quote Originally Posted by ODP View Post
    Mines at 34000.
    To confirm you only needed to order the discs and pads, no other parts needed? Thanks
    Nope. Comes with everything, although personally I would order online and collect if you have a depot near you, saves any misunderstanding.
    Funnily enough I've just got the Pug back from my Daughter(we swap cars around) today and had a bit of a wizz about. The brakes feel realy sharp and plenty of feel. Good brakes Brembo.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information