closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Question re car brakes replacement

Question re car brakes replacement

I’ve been shopping around for car brakes (discs and pads) and was surprised to be offered the choice between cheapest, intermediate and premium components.
    Could anyone advise the difference between these 3 options? I’m going for the premium but just wanted to check its worth the extra.

Master
    Blog Entries
    What car?
    And what makes we’re you offered in each bracket?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    What car?
    And what makes we’re you offered in each bracket?

208 gti. No brand names mentioned, just a price differential (£150 between cheapest and premium)

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ODP View Post
    I’ve been shopping around for car brakes (discs and pads) and was surprised to be offered the choice between cheapest, intermediate and premium components.
    Could anyone advise the difference between these 3 options? I’m going for the premium but just wanted to check its worth the extra.
    Yes, pads are like tyres, the cheapest nastiest ones are always just fine until the moment you really, really need them - at which point you would have paid anything to have the best. When buying components I always defer to that moment. In this case, unless you really like autosports or live somewhere really hilly the mid range stuff is absolutely fine IMHO as most of the advantage is about fade when really pushed.

Master
    Definitely agree with Dave.

I would add - what you use the car for.

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

Surely the OE is Valeo, their parts are so cheap it’s not worth dicking about

The price quoted for the premium (from a very well regarded local garage) is £490 for all 4 pads and discs.
    Seem’s very reasonable. Halfords came in at £690 without mention of the quality used (although not oem).

The price quoted for the premium (from a very well regarded local garage) is £490 for all 4 pads and discs.
    Seem’s very reasonable. Halfords came in at £690 without mention of the quality used (although not oem).
    How much are the parts?

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    How much are the parts?

Haven’t had the breakdown yet, I just gave them an initial enquiry call.

Haven’t had the breakdown yet, I just gave them an initial enquiry call.
    What year and model is the car?

What year and model is the car?

2015 Peugeot 208 gti

Master
    EBC Greenstuff are about 60gbp for a front pair for a 208 and Pagid about the same. I would drive (enthusiastically) with either

Quote Originally Posted by stiglet View Post
    EBC Greenstuff are about 60gbp for a front pair for a 208 and Pagid about the same. I would drive (enthusiastically) with either

Is that discs as well?

Assuming it’s a 1.6 petrol Euro’s are £80.27 for Brembo front discs and pads using code Gold50

Assuming it’s a 1.6 petrol Euro’s are £80.27 for Brembo front discs and pads using code Gold50

The gti has bigger discs (biggest in the Peugeot line up)

The gti has bigger discs (biggest in the Peugeot line up)
    Go onto Euros site and put your registration number in

Master
    Is that discs as well?
    Sorry - pads only. For road use I would spend any "premium" on the pads. Bosch vented discs are about £60 a pair I think

Go onto Euros site and put your registration number in

Thanks. I’ve had a look and the problem seems to be that they have to have wheel bearings and abs fitment included. A lot of the aftermarket ones don’t have this?

Thanks. I’ve had a look and the problem seems to be that they have to have wheel bearings and abs fitment included. A lot of the aftermarket ones don’t have this?
    I don’t understand that, Clio rear discs include the wheel bearing, it comes fitted to the disc and is included in the price, why is your car different ?

Other than that wheel bearing and discs are completely different jobs, so did you get a quote for discs and pads or pads discs and wheel bearings?

I'm sure you all think I'm insane but when it comes to brake parts on a car I always fit genuine items. They fit, they work and they last longer. At least that's my experience.

Craftsman
    I would imagine the mid range option is OEM quality and the premium is an upgrade from this.

Depending on how you use the car, would you be happy with OEM quality or do you need the upgraded option?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaffe View Post
    I'm sure you all think I'm insane but when it comes to brake parts on a car I always fit genuine items. They fit, they work and they last longer. At least that's my experience.
    I can understand why people do this but remember that the manufacturer doesn’t make the brake pad, so you’re just overpaying for the manufacturer logo on the box. Little bit of research will reveal the actual manufacturer. Exact same part, good saving. BMW is a typical example of this. In most cases when you examine the pad you buy from the main dealer, you will see the actual pad manufacturers logo on it.

ATE, Valeo etc all make OEM brake pads. Google search should reveal who makes the pads/discs for your car.
    Steer clear of budget, that is unless you want huge amounts of squeal and brake dust.

OEM pads don't necessarily provide the best stopping power. They are a compromise between stopping power & longevity.
    EBC Greenstuff are very good. They're softer, and will stop you quicker. The difference is very noticeable, but only if you have medium or soft compound tyres. On harder, tyres you probably won't notice the difference as tyre grip can be the limiting factor.

They also don't fade as much as OEM pads. OEM kit isn't designed to repeatedly brake heavily from speed. Because, lets face it, who does that? Unless you're on a track, or slamming the anchors on from 150mph on the autobahn, you'll rarely notice fade.

Grippier pads are available, but they don't offer good performance from cold and aren't good for road driving.

Disc quality could be construction or cooling. Vented disc, cross drilling, grooving. Designed to do two jobs, to get rid of heat and to get rid of gasses that build up under the pads. You'll only see the difference under repeated heavy braking. Most likely you're paying for the brand name and the "reassuringly expensive" feeling that you're getting a quality part.

Brake squeal can usually be addressed by applying a bit of damping grease or copaslip between the piston & the back of the pads.

TLDR: Unless you're Juan Manuel Fangio, or planning to take your pug to a track, buy OEM, or at most OEM discs with Greenstuff pads.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeveal View Post
    OEM pads don't necessarily provide the best stopping power. They are a compromise between stopping power & longevity.
    EBC Greenstuff are very good. They're softer, and will stop you quicker. The difference is very noticeable, but only if you have medium or soft compound tyres. On harder, tyres you probably won't notice the difference as tyre grip can be the limiting factor.

They also don't fade as much as OEM pads. OEM kit isn't designed to repeatedly brake heavily from speed. Because, lets face it, who does that? Unless you're on a track, or slamming the anchors on from 150mph on the autobahn, you'll rarely notice fade.

Grippier pads are available, but they don't offer good performance from cold and aren't good for road driving.

Disc quality could be construction or cooling. Vented disc, cross drilling, grooving. Designed to do two jobs, to get rid of heat and to get rid of gasses that build up under the pads. You'll only see the difference under repeated heavy braking. Most likely you're paying for the brand name and the "reassuringly expensive" feeling that you're getting a quality part.

Brake squeal can usually be addressed by applying a bit of damping grease or copaslip between the piston & the back of the pads.

TLDR: Unless you're Juan Manuel Fangio, or planning to take your pug to a track, buy OEM, or at most OEM discs with Greenstuff pads.
    As part of the development and approval process car manufacturers match the Pads to the discs, this ensures consistency, reliability and longevity, funnily enough i don't know any one who likes EBC pads, Dutch company products made in China, I think, they really are the bottom end of the market and have a reputation for shortening disc life, at that end of the market Mintex are better. if you are looking at a performance pad it's Pagid RS29 but they are very expensive

Master
    I tried them once & am now firmly in the ‘never again’ camp, they were awful & I swapped them out for my own sanity & safety.

Master
    2015 Peugeot 208 gti
    We've got one, a Prestige and it's a cracking little car. Last month I bought a complete set of front and rear Brembo Discs and pads from EuroCarParts and had a local guy fit them for me as I couldn't be arsed to do it myself. Less than £400 all in.
    As you know the brakes on the lightweight Pug are good anyway so unless you do trackdays or drive ten tenths the Brembos are fine. If you do thrash it the Brembo discs and PFC-Zrated pads are what you want.

Master
    The Brembos do

As part of the development and approval process car manufacturers match the Pads to the discs, this ensures consistency, reliability and longevity, funnily enough i don't know any one who likes EBC pads, Dutch company products made in China, I think, they really are the bottom end of the market and have a reputation for shortening disc life, at that end of the market Mintex are better. if you are looking at a performance pad it's Pagid RS29 but they are very expensive
    I tried EBC’s many moons ago, They were awful, agree, the Pagid RS are spot on but not cheap. Just steer clear of budget and buy from the main players.

25 + years ago I used to do quite a lot of maintenance on my own cars, then I had contract maintained company cars for the next 20 years and now have my own car for business use that I pay to have serviced and maintained, I’m actually looking forward to my lad to get his first car in a few years so I can get the spanners out again for simple jobs, his first car is likely to be cheap and simple I guess.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    We've got one, a Prestige and it's a cracking little car. Last month I bought a complete set of front and rear Brembo Discs and pads from EuroCarParts and had a local guy fit them for me as I couldn't be arsed to do it myself. Less than £400 all in.
    As you know the brakes on the lightweight Pug are good anyway so unless you do trackdays or drive ten tenths the Brembos are fine. If you do thrash it the Brembo discs and PFC-Zrated pads are what you want.

That sounds ideal. Do you have a link to the parts you bought? (Mine is the Prestige too)

Master
    That sounds ideal. Do you have a link to the parts you bought? (Mine is the Prestige too)
    I’ll look it up for you

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Stick with TRW, Pagid or Brembo.

Master
    I’ll look it up for you

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    So, I've totted up the price of full Brembo discs and pads and it comes to £332.96 which is what I paid. If you put your car reg into Eurocarparts site it will select it all for you. Sometimes they have discount campaigns or you can get codes for even more off. It's not a difficult job to fit them. Chap I know charged me £60. And they come with your aforementioned bearings and abs thingy.
    How many miles has yours done btw? Ours was just on 29,000 .
    Last edited by Harry Smith; 21st July 2021 at 23:00.

Mines at 34000.
    To confirm you only needed to order the discs and pads, no other parts needed? Thanks
    Last edited by ODP; 22nd July 2021 at 07:45.

So, I've totted up the price of full Brembo discs and pads and it comes to £332.96 which is what I paid. If you put your car reg into Eurocarparts site it will select it all for you. Sometimes they have discount campaigns or you can get codes for even more off. It's not a difficult job to fit them. Chap I know charged me £60. And they come with your aforementioned bearings and abs thingy.
    How many miles has yours done btw? Ours was just on 29,000 .
    I always found carpart4less cheaper than Euros and that is with the discount codes applied to both.

As for breaks, you can actually get better breaks than the originals for well known GTI`s if you can afford them

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    I always found carpart4less cheaper than Euros and that is with the discount codes applied to both.
    Oddly, they are part of the same firm.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    You can also click and collect from Euro if you order from CP4Less. I’d also stick with Pagid and Brembo if ordering bits from them. Don’t go near Eicher…

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Give him a brake.

Master
    Mines at 34000.
    To confirm you only needed to order the discs and pads, no other parts needed? Thanks
    Nope. Comes with everything, although personally I would order online and collect if you have a depot near you, saves any misunderstanding.
    Funnily enough I've just got the Pug back from my Daughter(we swap cars around) today and had a bit of a wizz about. The brakes feel realy sharp and plenty of feel. Good brakes Brembo.