closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jeff Bezos Rocket Ship

Jeff Bezos Rocket Ship

..blasting off tomorrow at 2pm BST - should be interesting???

150k people have a signed a petition not to allow him back.

Personally I see it as a massive ego project, benefiting only the super rich (same goes for Branson), whilst adding very little to society as a whole. They cannot even claim scientific research.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

But a ego project is ok isn't it?
    All of us do it, spend our money on vanity projects or things, be it a fancy house or expensive cars and watches etc, its just that billionaires do it on a bigger scale.
    Cheers..
    Jase

The rocket looks like a giant tumescent phallus… but in a strange reversal, one that has a bald c&@t inside it.

There is a certain irony that it looks like a huge knob.

I'm reminded of this...
    https://youtu.be/Ju1UwmgkKgI
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    I'm reminded of this...
    https://youtu.be/Ju1UwmgkKgI
    Ego trip without doubt but how many well paid jobs has he created on this "vanity project". More than us lot combined. It will one day become a major industry, so why the negativity.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Ego trip without doubt but how many well paid jobs has he created on this "vanity project". More than us lot combined. It will one day become a major industry, so why the negativity.
    Because of how many low paid, miserable jobs he has created at his day job along with his tax practices.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Because of how many low paid, miserable jobs he has created at his day job along with his tax practices.
    Hold on get real.

He replaced low paid jobs (shopworkers) with other low paid jobs such as stock handlers. The admin staff, however, do quite well.

Also he has only made his billions because billions of use chose to use his services. He provides an efficient method of shopping which most of us chose to use.

The UK staff all pay tax, the customers pay VAT, the delivery vans pay tax, so it's just HQ that gets away with it. The answer is to pay red hot staff to work for HMRC who can outsmart his accountants.

Sorry but you are coming across as a luddite on this one.
    Last edited by Mick P; 20th July 2021 at 10:11.

It's called "humour" Mick, Bezos doesn't know or care about me, and to be blunt I don't care about him.

Hold on get real.

He replaced low paid jobs (shopworkers) with other low paid jobs such as stock handlers. The admin staff, however, do quite well.

Also he has only made his billions because billions of use chose to use his services. He provides an efficient method of shopping which most of us chose to use.

He has created something phenomenal, no two ways about it. I use Amazon a fair bit - massively during lockdown - but one day I'll cancel Prime and buy elsewhere.

Mick at Amazon a lot of people are fired by robots and wear wrist bands that buzz when they're not working fast enough. There are bottles of piss all over their distribution centres as they can't make it to the toilets.

He could pay all drivers and warehouse workers worldwide double and it wouldn't stop him from breaking the trillion dollar mark. It would probably change things for him by 0.01% or less.

It's a bit like Apple. What they created is unreal and the products are extremely good, just a shame about the suicide nets and the child labour.

Master
    He has created something phenomenal, no two ways about it. I use Amazon a fair bit - massively during lockdown - but one day I'll cancel Prime and buy elsewhere.

Mick at Amazon a lot of people are fired by robots and wear wrist bands that buzz when they're not working fast enough. There are bottles of piss all over their distribution centres as they can't make it to the toilets.

He could pay all drivers and warehouse workers worldwide double and it wouldn't stop him from breaking the trillion dollar mark. It would probably change things for him by 0.01% or less.

It's a bit like Apple. What they created is unreal and the products are extremely good, just a shame about the suicide nets and the child labour.
    The day you boycott him is the day you can speak with some moral authority. You are riding with the hounds and running with the hare.

Spain all but collapsed last year and Amazon was literally the only way you could buy a lot of goods. I have never used Amazon in the UK but in Spain, he was a life saver.

The day you boycott him is the day you can speak with some moral authority. You are riding with the hounds and running with the hare.

Spain all but collapsed last year and Amazon was literally the only way you could buy a lot of goods. I have never used Amazon in the UK but in Spain, he was a life saver.
    I get your point and agree, bit rich to bash them while using them yes, but I'd say that's why he's getting a hard time generally. He won't care so the comments are wasted really.

If you are Amazon in the UK I'd also bookmark a website called CamelCamelCamel. Amazon play a lot of games with their pricing and CCC shows you pricing history.

Blimey I don't recall Spain all but collapsing last year...in fact by May our builders were hard at work on the porch by the pool, and finished it in a couple of weeks..., supermarkets and stores remained open with covid precautions of course...sometimes wonder about Mick's view of Espana, he's expressed has some odd notions about the police force as well, maybe it's very rough where he visits/ holidays.

It's odd but all the worst people on planet earth seem to be in a desperate rush to get to space...though imho Branson didn't but is cheating/ BSing in typical Branson fashion.
    Last edited by Passenger; 20th July 2021 at 10:29.

Master
    I get your point and agree, bit rich to bash them while using them yes, but I'd say that's why he's getting a hard time generally. He won't care so the comments are wasted really.

If you are Amazon in the UK I'd also bookmark a website called CamelCamelCamel. Amazon play a lot of games with their pricing and CCC shows you pricing history.
    Thanks for the CCC tip but I don't have an Amazon account in the UK. Spain is one of the few countries where Amazon operate within one country. I would need a second account in the UK and I just can't be bothered.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    But a ego project is ok isn't it?
    All of us do it, spend our money on vanity projects or things, be it a fancy house or expensive cars and watches etc, its just that billionaires do it on a bigger scale.
    Yes. I don't have an expensive car, but if I had bought one - I'd be fairly sure that it hadn't provided business and work to quite as many people as Jeff Bezos has with this.

I see it in a similar light as Charles Lindbergh and his flight to Paris. I suppose there would have been plenty of naysayers for that vanity project, as well.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Blimey I don't recall Spain all but collapsing last year...in fact by May our builders were hard at work on the porch by the pool, and finished it in a couple of weeks..., supermarkets and stores remained open with covid precautions of course...sometimes wonder about Mick's view of Espana, he's expressed has some odd notions about the police force as well, maybe it's very rough where he visits/ holidays.

It's odd but all the worst people on planet earth seem to be in a desperate rush to get to space...though imho Branson didn't but is cheating/ BSing in typical Branson fashion.
    My place isn't too far away from you (San Juan de los Terreros) and for a few months all you could buy was food from your nearest supermarket. If you went elsewhere and got caught it was a 600 euro fine.

You are in Murcia and I am in Andalusia which had one of the toughest covid regimes in Spain. You had it much easier than us and we were all very envious. The police were sat at every road that led into Murcia to prevent us from pillaging your shops.

Hold on get real.

The UK staff all pay tax, the customers pay VAT, the delivery vans pay tax, so it's just HQ that gets away with it. The answer is to pay red hot staff to work for HMRC who can outsmart his accountants.

I admire anyone who has the vision and drive to create something and turn it into a huge success but wouldn’t it be refreshing if these billionaire owners actually bucked the trend and looked after their staff with good wages and working conditions that afford them a decent quality of life instead of them being spied on during breaks and resorting to pissing in water bottles so they don’t get into trouble for not hitting targets.

My place isn't too far away from you (San Juan de los Terreros) and for a few months all you could buy was food from your nearest supermarket. If you went elsewhere and got caught it was a 600 euro fine.

You are in Murcia and I am in Andalusia which had one of the toughest covid regimes in Spain. You had it much easier than us and we were all very envious. The police were sat at every road that led into Murcia to prevent us from pillaging your shops.
    Respectfully we all sat through that first 3 months hard lockdown and only left our properties for the absolutely essential journeys, you really couldn't have have it any harder in Andalusia Mick, police were monitoring the roads here too and pulling/ fining IF you didn't have a valid reason...got stopped twice myself in/ out of Cartagena when I was seeing the Doc...the only trips I took apart from local supermarket/ pharmacy.

Sorry your shops were so impacted, what's up with Andalusia...lovely countryside and people, Cordoba is a gem, one of my dearest friends now deceased was from there, lovely old gent, nicknamed 'El Andaluz' appropriately enough.
    Last edited by Passenger; 20th July 2021 at 10:51.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Respectfully we all sat through that first 3 months hard lockdown and only left our properties for the absolutely essential journeys, you really couldn't have have it any harder in Andalusia Mick, police were monitoring the roads here too and pulling/ fining IF you didn't have a valid reason...got stopped twice myself in/ out of Cartagena when I was seeing the Doc...the only trips I took apart from local supermarket/ pharmacy.
    Yes but our builders had to stop building etc in Andalusia, different regions different rules as you well know.

Am I the only one who keeps thinking of Ben Eltons “stark conspiracy” when I see these billionaires racing to space 🤔

Quote Originally Posted by Barton Red View Post
    Am I the only one who keeps thinking of Ben Eltons “stark conspiracy” when I see these billionaires racing to space 樂
    Or the movie Elysium, other dystopian plots are available.
    Last edited by Passenger; 20th July 2021 at 11:15.

Yes but our builders had to stop building etc in Andalusia, different regions different rules as you well know.
    Sure some regional variations to the overall theme, that's Spain... but like yourself last Spring we were all confined to the bounds of our property for all but essentials, I can recall conversing with you about ways to get a bit of exercise...it was a tough time...I forget the precise date but the first time WE were permitted outside our own walls for a walk provided it was within distance of home, we had to be masked and it was only one parent/ one child allowed at a time, heady stuff seriously.
    What an experience/ time.

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    Yes. I don't have an expensive car, but if I had bought one - I'd be fairly sure that it hadn't provided business and work to quite as many people as Jeff Bezos has with this.

I see it in a similar light as Charles Lindbergh and his flight to Paris. I suppose there would have been plenty of naysayers for that vanity project, as well.

I’m not sure about the Lindbergh analogy simply because so few had flown across the Atlantic at this time, however 100’s of people have flown into space.

It’s neat that an individual has so much wealth as to design and build his own space ship, but it’s just transitory simply because it will become a massive “so what” in a few years. At least those who build stately homes, museums, art collections, hospitals, a cure for something, etc, etc will have something which is a bit more permanent.

It’s not even he can claim bragging rights on being the first “tourist” to go into space.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

What a waste of time and money this race to space is, including the moon landings etc. The human race is in a seemingly uncontrollable spiral to f*** up this planet, yet strives to get to others. I wonder how far the other civilizations that are surely out there will allow us to export our destructive habits before we are stopped.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    What a waste of time and money this race to space is, including the moon landings etc. The human race is in a seemingly uncontrollable spiral to f*** up this planet, yet strives to get to others. I wonder how far the other civilizations that are surely out there will allow us to export our destructive habits before we are stopped.
    Well said Bob.

Billions nay trillions spent on vanity whilst so much suffering is tolerated.

This is one of those things that the State does better.

We already did this 60 years ago.

Master
    If there are civilisations out there with the capacity to stop us, they'll only be able to do so because at an early stage of their own transport culture, they had a space race of their own.

I sometimes remember that the first powered flight and the missions to the Moon in the '60s all took place well within a single human lifespan. That's amazing.

Both watching Branson and Bezos feels like watching the insanely rich go on a ridiculously expensive fairground ride they have either built or paid for tickets to ride. Seeing someone like Felix Baumgartner do his high altitude jump felt like watching a true adventurer break records whereas there's something very different about the spectacle of an 18-year old kid whose Dad bought him a ticket on a 10-minute ride. Especially with all the mock briefings, designer space suits and training when there is no actual input other than sitting there.

I am a massive space nerd, and compulsively interested in all things extraterrestrial. Statement of interest duly made, I see clear water between the Bezos/Branson stuff and SpaceX, which appears to be a genuinely useful and commercially viable system for keeping the ISS stocked with bodies and bog-roll. Beardy and Geoff appear to be building thrill rides for their own amusement and the technical difference between their small ballistic up-and-down hops and SpaceX's accurate and repeatable orbital rendezvous is colossal. So mentally I file the endeavours separately; and on the basis that he's freeing up NASA to do some fun lunar-mission stuff, I welcome Elon Musk's contribution to spacefaring in general.

I must say, though: I am sad that we can't hear what the Original Shepard would've thought of all this kerfuffle; at least his sub-orbital flight was the gateway to something more, rather than ticket sales for the hilariously wealthy and terminally bored.

Some of you lot should read more sci fi. Most of what has happened or is happening to the world has already been written about, or a movie/series made. Welcome to the future.
    Last edited by Harry Smith; 20th July 2021 at 16:23. Reason: makes more sense

Quote Originally Posted by PreacherCain View Post
    I am a massive space nerd, and compulsively interested in all things extraterrestrial. Statement of interest duly made, I see clear water between the Bezos/Branson stuff and SpaceX, which appears to be a genuinely useful and commercially viable system for keeping the ISS stocked with bodies and bog-roll. Beardy and Geoff appear to be building thrill rides for their own amusement and the technical difference between their small ballistic up-and-down hops and SpaceX's accurate and repeatable orbital rendezvous is colossal. So mentally I file the endeavours separately; and on the basis that he's freeing up NASA to do some fun lunar-mission stuff, I welcome Elon Musk's contribution to spacefaring in general.
    I'm inclined to agree with you.

Bezos and Branson are obviously many years behind SpaceX, and the difference in technological capability is immense. However, that said, New Shepard is still a very advanced craft, even though it isn't capable of orbital insertion.

I'm not sure what the potential is for Branson's space plane, other than joyrides.

However, we are definitely seeing space exploration back on the agenda after years of being in the doldrums. I personally welcome that - because in big picture terms I believe it will be good, and necessary for humanity. I accept others hold a different view though.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Of which we are likely all guilty on this forum - we all waste resources every day on things we do not need, and we are all contributing to our planet's demise (flights, cars, excessive consumption). I agree, we are a selfish and destructive race who are slowly (at an ever increasing pace) killing this planet, and not giving much of a rat's ass about those suffering alongside us - and most of us don't give a sh1t.

I’ve just watched the launch - it looks so much like a giant willy it has to have been made to look like that on purpose, is there a team of designers somewhere giggling like schoolboys!?!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    I'm inclined to agree with you.

Bezos and Branson are obviously many years behind SpaceX, and the difference in technological capability is immense. However, that said, New Shepard is still a very advanced craft, even though it isn't capable of orbital insertion.

I'm not sure what the potential is for Branson's space plane, other than joyrides.

However, we are definitely seeing space exploration back on the agenda after years of being in the doldrums. I personally welcome that - because in big picture terms I believe it will be good, and necessary for humanity. I accept others hold a different view though.
    Personally, I believe that further space exploration shouldn’t even be considered until the human race has learnt to live on this planet without causing it irreparable damage.

My personal belief is that the best solution for the planet in the long term is currently the extinction of the human species.

I see humans as the planet’s equivalent of a parasitic skin rash! And we are now wanting to spread onto another host!

How are Amazon going to get that in a van

Personally, I believe that further space exploration shouldn’t even be considered until the human race has learnt to live on this planet without causing it irreparable damage.
    This 100% all that money and technology/science should be diverted to development of energy saving and limiting global warming.
    I’m sure the earth looks great from space for the lucky few but would rather it looked habitable for billions close up.

#36 + #38 fully agree
    The weather and the creatures of Earth are not the problem, - it's us.
    Last edited by number2; 20th July 2021 at 18:59.

These billionaires remind me of Spaceballs the movie. If other intelligences ever find us or we encounter them:
    https://youtu.be/kD516OENN7s

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I’ve just watched the launch - it looks so much like a giant willy it has to have been made to look like that on purpose, is there a team of designers somewhere giggling like schoolboys!?!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wait until you see the docking entrance on his space station design :)

DON

I watched it this morning and besides the someone compensating for something design. Was all those windows

Great for the view, but would think the size and number possibly compromises the integrity of the spacecraft.

Airplanes have small windows. US space modules on the Saturn rockets had small windows. This thing had picture sized windows

Worry about cracking a pane due to vibration (no willy jokes)

DON

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post

My personal belief is that the best solution for the planet in the long term is currently the extinction of the human species.

I see humans as the planet’s equivalent of a parasitic skin rash! And we are now wanting to spread onto another host!
    All parasites eventually destroy their host and themselves in the process. Sadly we think we are bigger than the planet we live on. Luckily however, nature always finds a way to balance the books!

As for rich boys and their rocket toys, the benefits will ultimately be for the exclusivity of the few.

Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    All parasites eventually destroy their host and themselves in the process. Sadly we think we are bigger than the planet we live on. Luckily however, nature always finds a way to balance the books!

As for rich boys and their rocket toys, the benefits will ultimately be for the exclusivity of the few.
    Agreed,

Giant phallus, sitting atop a giant phallus, launched from Van HORN!

Perfect symmetry.

A selfish, decadent, self-indulgent joy ride for the World's Richest Man. By trying to catch Skittles with their mouths in weightlessness, I'm sure the human race will be reaping giant advances.

(c) Matt

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/om...zos-wally-funk

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

First image from inside the capsule...