closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Buying a BMW Z4 (possibly Boxster) .............anyone had an old one ?

Master

Buying a BMW Z4 (possibly Boxster) .............anyone had an old one ?

Decided I need some cheap, summer motoring fun in my life. OK, left it a bit late this year, but the sun's out, so why not !
    So thought I would ask this esteemed forum for the requisite advice if I may ?

Was thinking BMW Z4 or possibly an old Boxster. Don't want to spend loads (max £5-6k) and will hopefully be able to continue using through the autumn & winter for just a couple of days a week commute to the office (35 miles each way).

So, who's had one, any horror stories, what faults are common in either and I should perhaps look out for, which model and/or engine to go for re reliability, performance, roof leaks etc. Refinement ?

I'm certainly out of my comfort zone here and likely to do something daft, so any guidance very much appreciated.

Thanks all.

PS. Perhaps I should have started with anyone selling one ?
    Last edited by Glitterati; 18th July 2021 at 19:43.

Check of a UK used car search shows the Bimmer is about $4000 over your limit

Boxster on the other hand could be bought for your price, but only if you buy the ones with the ugly headlights. These were never popular. Even in the 911 models and could be had for less than the clean line models

Nicer lens models are about $10,000. Ugly at your price. Bear in the mind these are the first series so will be the oldest cars.

Don't own either.

DON

Master
    I have an ‘03 Boxster 2.7 which I have run as a summer car for 4 years (5th summer season now). I looked at a number when I was searching for mine and bought what I considered to be the best available at the time. Condition and service history is most important- mileage less so within reason.
    As far as spec was concerned, one thing I considered important was to get ‘extended’ leather. This has the door cards and dash top in leather, rather than a hard plastic moulding and makes a huge difference in terms of a quality feel. Most UK cars had leather seats, but you may come across half leather or even cloth.
    I bought a car with a full history (48k mikes) belonging to a car nut who had maintained it in tip top condition, carpeted garage etc. The IMS bearing has been replaced with a ceramic bearing and a new clutch at the same time. In my ownership it gets an annual oil change and has had a set of new tyres (Goodyear Asymmetric 5) this year. Other than that, no expense and 100% trouble free fun.
    If you’re thinking of one of these join Boxanet and check out the classifieds.

Master
    Have a look here: https://z4-forum.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=41

Also they have a load of buyer guides etc, very friendly bunch there.

Our household has had 2 x Z4 Coupes, 1 x E85 2.5si, 1 x E85 Z4M and an E89 3.0 (I love the coupe enough I bought it back from the person I sold it to!)

6cyl engine is a dream, if you get the 3.0si engine your get c 265bhp from memory and a sublime engine.

E85 is far more sporty than the E89, but any car is fun with the roof off.

You will get a 'better' Z4 for your money than the Boxster, but the later will be a better fun car.

We have both left Z4s behind, wife has a 2.7l 981 Boxster and I have a 981 Cayman GTS.

Good luck with the search, there are lots around, so you can afford to be picky & specific on what you want.

Feel free to PM me if you want any specific questions answered on them

Matt

I've had a couple of E85 Z4s (2.5 Sport & 3.0si), an E89 Z4 (35iS), as well as a 986 Boxster. The Boxster is the better driver's car, but it's a Porsche so comes with larger repair bills and that nagging doubt about the IMS bearing (especially in your price bracket!). For the money that you want to spend, I'd say the E85 is the best option, as it's good to drive, great with the roof down and easier to get repaired. It's certainly got more sporty handling than the E89, thanks to being a lot lighter with a soft top. Boot space is also actually pretty practical with the roof up or down (not something that you can say for the E89...

In terms of engine choice, it has to be a six cylinder to my mind, but controversially I am going to suggest that the 2.5 is better for enjoying every day. Our current 2.5 sport is a much nicer drive that the 3.0si that we had previously. Yes, it might not be quite as quick, but the sound is great and it's a much more supple and subtle car to enjoy.

I know from when we were looking for ours, there are a lot on the market, but try not to buy the first one you see, and look for an enthusiast owner. Ours was owned by someone who appreciated the car and had spent some time getting it the way that he wanted it. I won't say that I agreed with his style (black front grille and anthracite MV2s), but these were easily changed and we now have a more stock looking car that runs and handles beautifully. Pictured below next to my daily drive.

Phil
    Last edited by Highwayman; 18th July 2021 at 21:32.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I had a 08 3.0 SI great car handled well and that engine is sweet. Never had any problems, but did change the water pump as a precaution.

Master
    Just a huge thank you to everyone who has responded. It's been a great help.
    As have the links to the various forums suggested.

Think it's a Z4 of some variety, just need to work out which one.

And to Phil...........please do ping me a message if you should want to sell at some point !

Cheers all.

Have you considered this, looks a cracking bargain

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ale-price-drop

Buy a booster abd enjoy a grin in your face
    A way better experience than a snore z4

You’ll get one for 6-7k take your time s d you’ll find something decent

I’ve had two
    Nothing ever failed
    Flew through mots
    The 2.7 was nicer than the 3.2 to drive
    Manual and auto are just as nice

Easy to maintain and parts are plentiful

Go for it - tipped up as future collectibles and prices are in the up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Martyndogs Boxster was on here for sale not long ago, it was awesome, I should know as I sold it to him. I have had a Z4 and it was great, but the Boxster was better; but for me, my MX5 NB and ND’s were better again. Although the Z4 is more GT car, the Boxster ticks every box and the MX5 is a Sports car, yet still managed a very decent road trip to Cornwall and back very comfortably. So to surmise; MX5, Boxster and Z4 out of these three, unless you really want a GT car, then reverse the order. Overall, all superb cars, it is splitting hairs. Go for what the heart wants, you’ll not be disappointed.

Master

I’m gonna sell mine soon. It’s out of your budget as prices are pretty firm but I popped in to say that if you’re tall then an MX5 is a no no and a 986 is a compromise. 987 is a comfortable place to be for 6ft plus. In contrast to above I like the 3.2S over the 2.7. If you’re in the NW I’m in Sth Mcer so come and try for size and drive just for fun. Then you’ll know.