closing tag is in template navbar
Time Factors Watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 56

Thread: Well they went quick

  1. #1

    Well they went quick

    Less than a minute for the Gilt!

  2. #2
    Master RLE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,557
    Did you manage to grab one?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    335
    Thats twice I have missed out on an Everset - completed sale and entered details within 2.5 minutes - out of stock

    Gutted - was supposed to be for my son’s 18th...

  4. #4
    Master TheGent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    North West, UK
    Posts
    1,398
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHooky View Post
    Less than a minute for the Gilt!
    Wow! Hope they don’t all end up on eBay, there are a fair few on now!


    T.G.

  5. #5
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Bristol, United Kingdom
    Posts
    671
    Gilt was in my cart and then not...all within a minute...maybe next time

  6. #6
    Master TheGent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    North West, UK
    Posts
    1,398
    Quote Originally Posted by cypermethrin View Post
    Thats twice I have missed out on an Everset - completed sale and entered details within 2.5 minutes - out of stock

    Gutted - was supposed to be for my son’s 18th...
    Gutted for you. Start a thread in WTB, you never know…?


    T.G.

  7. #7
    No. I was completing within 60 seconds and the a pop-up said out of stock. Real shame. Missed out every time.

  8. #8
    I’m just happy I was able to pick a brand new unworn smiths up on here from another user. Try the sales corners guys, there are many honest sellers on here who don’t want to make anything but just cover costs.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    335
    Good shout - will try that as this seems to be futile

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    Gutted for you. Start a thread in WTB, you never know…?


    T.G.

  10. #10
    Master sish101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    County Durham
    Posts
    2,832
    I've got the whole family on standby for when the Caribbeans come up for sale. I might get none or nine!

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by sish101; 18th July 2021 at 14:41.

  11. #11
    Missed it again..

    Sent from my MI MAX 2 using TZ-UK mobile app

  12. #12
    Journeyman lexminute's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    USA/UK/Asia
    Posts
    87
    Dang, this is like the selling out of Rolex and Patek steel sport models but in a lesser scale.

    I'm happy for Eddie's success but can be quite disappointing to the unlucky hopefuls.

  13. #13
    Grand Master number2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North and South.
    Posts
    25,193
    The great thing is there's no favouritism, no matter how many you own everyone has a chance.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    The great thing is there's no favouritism, no matter how many you own everyone has a chance.
    ...yeah, but I just want to buy a watch, not play the lottery. I was there in time, but my credit card wanted a second authentification and that means I had no chance. Guess the same will happen with all the next new watches and I'm buying watches for my personal pleasure and I'm not looking for adding frustration on my weekends.

    I'm not in a queue in front of an Apple store to buy the latest iPhone and I'm not paying double the retail price for a Daytona just to have one.

    And yes, I am frustrated now.

    ATB KH

  15. #15
    ...I just counted and I found 25 watches that I bought from Eddie. Three are with other people, so makes 28 watches alltogether.



  16. #16
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Deal, uk
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by Finkaudio View Post
    ...I just counted and I found 25 watches that I bought from Eddie. Three are with other people, so makes 28 watches alltogether.


    Did I miss a 2 for the price of 1 offer?

    A lot of good watches there

  17. #17
    Indeed, hats of sir, great collection

    Sent from my IN2013 using Tapatalk

  18. #18
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    653
    They are available here https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353581309706

    As there are scum that now make a business of Eddie’s watches, I suspect they are using bots to buy on the opening times. The bots are way faster than a human and will secure the stock long before us mortals have had a chance to go through the purchase process.

    This practice is rife with online sales of limited edition sneakers.

  19. #19
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    London and Moray
    Posts
    1,765
    Quote Originally Posted by Spy View Post
    They are available here https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353581309706

    As there are scum that now make a business of Eddie’s watches, I suspect they are using bots to buy on the opening times. The bots are way faster than a human and will secure the stock long before us mortals have had a chance to go through the purchase process.

    This practice is rife with online sales of limited edition sneakers.
    I assume that this listing should be pulled as it misrepresents the warranty. That now applies only to the original purchaser, i.e. the seller on Ebay, for the first year.

  20. #20
    .....I don't think that the warranty thing makes a difference. Under EU law, it would be completely impossible to restrict responsibility to only the original owner. OK, UK is out, but did they change those laws already? And in fact, the new owner is suffering, not the greedy seller.

    However, Eddie decided to do it that way, because he is free to do so and I'm free to decide if I want to accept that or not. Having only a limited no. of a product is a marketing tool that has been used before and it attracts buyers who are not just looking for a nice watch but trying to make some money. That even works with coffee grinders (Niche Zero).... the same principle. They are always sold out and so you have to buy one for double the price from Ebay if you want one. I bought another model that was even more expensive, but this was not a question of money, but choice.

    However, I'm not complaining.....it's only stopping me from buying those watches. But that does not hurt anybody, because there are never enough available anyway.

    Best regards

    Karl-Heinz

  21. #21
    Grand Master snowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    12,275
    I'll be honest, I would really like a Caribbean, but I don't think I'm interested in taking part in the Sunday gamble.

    Usually I have better things to do on a Sunday than hover over a keyboard hoping against hope that a load of eBayer sellers don't beat me to it.

    I've had a few TF watches (and still have a couple) and they've all been very good, but the current buying process is very off-putting to me.

    I'm sure it doesn't matter to Eddie, as he's clearly doing good business, but other Microbrands with similarly chaotic buying experiences have looked at alternatives (eg waiting lists).

    There doesn't have to be (indeed, should never be!) a Rolex AD pecking order, but the current system seems to favour eBayer profiteers over enthusiasts (or at least, make no distinction).

    M
    Last edited by snowman; 20th July 2021 at 10:17.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Finkaudio View Post
    .....I don't think that the warranty thing makes a difference. Under EU law, it would be completely impossible to restrict responsibility to only the original owner. OK, UK is out, but did they change those laws already? And in fact, the new owner is suffering, not the greedy seller.

    However, Eddie decided to do it that way, because he is free to do so and I'm free to decide if I want to accept that or not. Having only a limited no. of a product is a marketing tool that has been used before and it attracts buyers who are not just looking for a nice watch but trying to make some money. That even works with coffee grinders (Niche Zero).... the same principle. They are always sold out and so you have to buy one for double the price from Ebay if you want one. I bought another model that was even more expensive, but this was not a question of money, but choice.

    However, I'm not complaining.....it's only stopping me from buying those watches. But that does not hurt anybody, because there are never enough available anyway.

    Best regards

    Karl-Heinz
    In the UK, any warranty is only for the original purchaser. Doubt it's different in the EU.

    How would it even work for an eBay purchase? You wouldn't necessarily know the original purchase date.

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Finkaudio View Post
    However, Eddie decided to do it that way, because he is free to do so and I'm free to decide if I want to accept that or not.
    That's life, as they say.

    Having only a limited no. of a product is a marketing tool that has been used before...
    Do you think that this is what Eddie is doing?
    R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

  24. #24
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Croxton Kerrial
    Posts
    7
    After loitering around this forum for a while I have been undecided about buying an Everest until I saw the gilt dial version and then my mind was made up. I then saw it as a personal challenge to buy one from Time Factors so on Sunday afternoon at 2 minutes to 2pm I was in a routine of

    Click on the watch, back to the Smiths menu, refresh the page
    Click on the watch, back to the Smiths menu, refresh the page
    Click on the watch, back to the Smiths menu, refresh the page
    Click on the watch, back to the Smiths menu, refresh the page

    I reckon the "Add to Basket" button popped up at 10 seconds to 2pm and by 15 seconds past the transaction was complete. The watch took a couple of weeks to arrive and I have been really happy with it, (love the boobies)






  25. #25
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Warwickshire
    Posts
    279
    Had an expedition in my basket briefly at 14:00 but decided against it in the end, I'm not regretting that decision

  26. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    In the UK, any warranty is only for the original purchaser. Doubt it's different in the EU.

    How would it even work for an eBay purchase? You wouldn't necessarily know the original purchase date.
    It is a bit more complex......and yes, you are right, it is possible to have the warranty only for the original buyer. However, it does not really help to make customers happy.

    Best regards KH

  27. #27
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Bristol, United Kingdom
    Posts
    671
    If bots are getting them. A bit like the craze with trainers/sneakers maybe something (to check we're human) can be put into the purchase procedure

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

  28. #28
    I want to buy the Mission Timer when it comes out. However, if I have to become an online click warrior for a Sunday afternoon, well…I’m not sure I can be bothered to do that. It’s the purchase of a tool watch, not a Supreme drop.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  29. #29
    Master sweets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bristol - UK
    Posts
    5,081
    It seems that the tiger that Eddie has by the tail is a little too feisty.
    Quite a few desirable models (current and upcoming) with zero stock mean that lots of people are checking for all sorts of models, all the time.
    If they see an opportunity for something in the TF window, something equally rare but not what they intended, the temptation is there to buy and sell on, perhaps that is why we see all the immediate eBay sales (and, by comparison, very few forum sales of TF watches).
    Shame for us, although I grant you it makes no difference to Eddie.
    A fixed window of 2pm on Sundays would not be my choice either, but i see the logic. I am just likely to be out and about, that's all.
    There are a few things in the pipeline i would love to buy, especially having been part of the discussions finalising designs. But even if i concentrate very hard, the chance of me succeeding on one occasion (let alone any more than that) is very slight.
    I can see that inputting payment details alone (for many) may well take longer than the opening window, if it's only a minute.
    Dave

  30. #30

    Well they went quick

    Maybe those that have been part of the discussion thread for a new design should get some kind of priority then. It’’s as good a way as any of bypassing speculators and scalpers.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Sunnie; 22nd July 2021 at 18:05.

  31. #31
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Warwickshire
    Posts
    279
    When I got my Everest I had the page loaded up on my phone well before Sunday and then refreshed the page a few times at 14:00 until add to basket was there. I found that worked well and could check out quickly with google pre-populating a lot of fields for me

    I was a bit gutted not to pick up an expendition but since Sunday I've picked up a baby dreadnought from eBay with a voucher so it was a good price

  32. #32
    Grand Master abraxas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    33,007
    Quote Originally Posted by EBB21 View Post
    ...

    A lot of good watches there
    Yes there are. I've had four of that bunch, and one I still have. Finkaudio, you need some version of the 36mm PRS-25. The 39mm doesn't count.
    Time moves in one direction, memory in another – William Gibson

  33. #33
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    Silicon Valley, CA
    Posts
    3
    Been a happy Everest white dial owner since October 2020. I don't remember if there was ever a Captcha challenge as part of completing a sale. That might be one way to slow down the bots if not out right exclude them.

    Another way would be use different store opening times instead of only 2pm GMT. 2pm GMT might be convenient for people in UK or Europe, but it is 6AM on the US West Coast and even earlier in Alaska and Hawaii.

    I am not a prolific poster. I doubt whether I'll ever accumulate a post count that will be enable me to view the Sales Corner.

    Every sales process has its pros and cons, but if I were to own my business, I would consider every option to make the process more inclusive.

  34. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    Yes there are. I've had four of that bunch, and one I still have. Finkaudio, you need some version of the 36mm PRS-25. The 39mm doesn't count.
    .....yes, but again, I'm not fighting with people who are trying to make a quick $$.

    I'm even thinking to make a watch myself. I got 30 vintage ETA movements sitting here and cases can be sourced in Asia. I just need to design a dial and have it printed. That could be drawn by my graphic designers here.
    I own a few A/M ATP watches to get inspiration. Flume is 2 minutes walking away from me and they have a huge inventory :-)


    I also got own at least 2x Smiths original W10 and replacement dials.....I could use the one with the more tired dial to repaint it in white/beige and make it a one-off.

    But in fact, I would prefer to press a button and buy a watch from Eddie....but that does not work :-( any longer.

    Best regards

    KH

  35. #35
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Bristol, United Kingdom
    Posts
    671
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    It seems that the tiger that Eddie has by the tail is a little too feisty.
    Quite a few desirable models (current and upcoming) with zero stock mean that lots of people are checking for all sorts of models, all the time.
    If they see an opportunity for something in the TF window, something equally rare but not what they intended, the temptation is there to buy and sell on, perhaps that is why we see all the immediate eBay sales (and, by comparison, very few forum sales of TF watches).
    Shame for us, although I grant you it makes no difference to Eddie.
    A fixed window of 2pm on Sundays would not be my choice either, but i see the logic. I am just likely to be out and about, that's all.
    There are a few things in the pipeline i would love to buy, especially having been part of the discussions finalising designs. But even if i concentrate very hard, the chance of me succeeding on one occasion (let alone any more than that) is very slight.
    I can see that inputting payment details alone (for many) may well take longer than the opening window, if it's only a minute.
    Dave
    I vote for Eddie to give preferential treatment for the man who named the 'Commander' to be able to buy one ;-)

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

  36. #36
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Posts
    78

    Lightbulb Borrow a page from Ming?

    Ming's sell out in minutes. They have this system (IIRC):

    (1) Prior buyers can sign up to buy in a pre-sale

    (2a) New buyers compete with what's left in a 10 minute (more like 30 second) window (LE's)

    OR

    (2b) Ming takes as many orders are come in during a 15 min window (say n-orders), then build n pieces.

    (3) As an economist, I'd add the "compete to buy with 100% success" auction model (extra money to Eddie's retirement? To a good cause?) for some % of pieces, as plenty pf people are willing to pay more than list (see eBay)

    Just a few thoughts, as the current system is driving many people mad...

  37. #37
    Administrator swanbourne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Sheffield, England
    Posts
    47,245
    Quote Originally Posted by davidzet View Post
    Ming's sell out in minutes. They have this system (IIRC):

    (1) Prior buyers can sign up to buy in a pre-sale

    (2a) New buyers compete with what's left in a 10 minute (more like 30 second) window (LE's)

    OR

    (2b) Ming takes as many orders are come in during a 15 min window (say n-orders), then build n pieces.

    (3) As an economist, I'd add the "compete to buy with 100% success" auction model (extra money to Eddie's retirement? To a good cause?) for some % of pieces, as plenty pf people are willing to pay more than list (see eBay)

    Just a few thoughts, as the current system is driving many people mad...
    I thought I was already operating on (2b). A couple of things to note:

    I am not supposed to take payment until the day I ship the goods.

    I have 7 days to take payment before the authority to take it expires.

    Ergo, the number of orders taken does not exceed the number which can be shipped in 7 days.

    I can restrict the number of orders by releasing small batches of the popular watches which will inevitably sell out in seconds or I can just flick a switch when the desired number of orders has been received.

    Pre-orders are no different to actual orders, they just mean the less stock is available when the site opens and I then need to take fewer orders (in order to ship them in 7 days) which means a shorter ordering window.

    My turnover in the last financial year was double that of the previous year and after just 4 months of this financial year, turnover is more than 50% of last year. That's where the problem lies. I shipped 2800 watches last year, I'm on target to ship a thousand more this year.

    At least moving to Shopify has stopped the overselling experienced with RomanCart.

    Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

  38. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    I thought I was already operating on (2b). A couple of things to note:

    I am not supposed to take payment until the day I ship the goods.

    I have 7 days to take payment before the authority to take it expires.

    Ergo, the number of orders taken does not exceed the number which can be shipped in 7 days.


    Eddie
    Hi Eddie,

    I don't have a problem if you take my money immediately......I'm pretty sure you are not running away with it and it avoids frustration and in the end, it means less stress for you AND me.


    ATB KH

  39. #39
    Master sweets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bristol - UK
    Posts
    5,081
    That is very impressive growth, especially given that the income is limited by the intermittent batched nature of the stock and also by the limitations of order fulfillment the restrict the opening hours, even when there is/was stock.

  40. #40
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    372
    Quote Originally Posted by Finkaudio View Post
    ...I just counted and I found 25 watches that I bought from Eddie. Three are with other people, so makes 28 watches alltogether.
    Which gets the most wrist time?

  41. #41
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    372
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHooky View Post
    Less than a minute for the Gilt!
    Ditto!

  42. #42
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Bristol, United Kingdom
    Posts
    671
    Uhhhh. Tried again for the gilt. Was logged in. Google has my card details. Boom...back out of the cart within a minute and sold out. :-(

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

  43. #43
    Missed it again...

    Sent from my MI MAX 2 using TZ-UK mobile app

  44. #44
    Master TheGent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    North West, UK
    Posts
    1,398

    Well they went quick

    Judging by the huge number of gilt dial ones that end up on eBay I wonder if Eddie hiked the prices up then he would sell less to people trying to make a quick £££ and more to those of us who genuinely want them.


    T.G.
    Last edited by TheGent; 1st August 2021 at 19:37.

  45. #45
    Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Kent UK
    Posts
    1,400
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    Judging by the huge number of gilt dial ones that end up on eBay I wonder if Eddie hiked the prices up then he would sell less to people trying to make a quick £££ and more to those of us who genuinely want them.


    T.G.
    Based on Eddie’s last post why would he change anything. He has his GTM down to a T. The system is fair and transparent and most importantly, successful.

  46. #46
    Master TheGent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    North West, UK
    Posts
    1,398
    Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    Based on Eddie’s last post why would he change anything. He has his GTM down to a T. The system is fair and transparent and most importantly, successful.
    Be be honest, my question was more rhetorical/hypothetical. And I agree the system is fair, albeit sometimes frustrating.


    T.G.

  47. #47
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    653
    Eddie, when are you expecting the Gilt Everest to be back in stock ?

  48. #48
    Administrator swanbourne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Sheffield, England
    Posts
    47,245
    Quote Originally Posted by Spy View Post
    Eddie, when are you expecting the Gilt Everest to be back in stock ?
    Not for at least 3 months.

    Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

  49. #49
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Warwickshire
    Posts
    279
    Eddie, are there many expeditions left in stock?

  50. #50
    Grand Master number2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North and South.
    Posts
    25,193
    Quote Originally Posted by neilF183 View Post
    Eddie, are there many expeditions left in stock?
    How many are you interested in?
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information