closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Hayter petrol mowers with rear roller. Any good?

Blog Entries

Hayter petrol mowers with rear roller. Any good?

I'm mowing the large parts of my lawn with a Husqvarna Rider and some parts with a Masport reel mower. For the corners, nooks and crannies I use a Sabo 42cm rotary. However, I've been looking at a Hayter rotary mower with a rear roller, for the all-important(...) stripy lawn.

Hence the title of this thread: are these Hayters worth buying?

Menno

Hayter petrol mowers with rear roller. Any good?

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    I'm mowing the large parts of my lawn with a Husqvarna Rider and some parts with a Masport reel mower. For the corners, nooks and crannies I use a Sabo 42cm rotary. However, I've been looking at a Hayter rotary mower with a rear roller, for the all-important(...) stripy lawn.

Hence the title of this thread: are these Hayters worth buying?

Menno
    Yes. They’re a great piece of kit, highly rate mine which is getting on a bit but still performs perfectly. Also have a Suffolk punch for a super stripey look. It needs a super flat lawn for that.
    Also have a Briggs and Stratton for general work. Yes I have a lawn mower issue. There are more

A member of my family runs a ground maintenance firm and only users hayters, slightly bigger than the 42 iirc. He buys them new and they get used pretty much all day every day and he sells them a year on for around half the price he pays. They sell very quickly. He rates them highly.

Meant to add, I have a Honda 426 with rear roller and it’s performed brilliantly. Lovely stripes in the lawn.

This mower sat unused for 6 years..... fresh fuel and it started straight up and has worked perfectly for the last few years without even a service. Take a look at them too

Master
    We have 3 at work no probs although they don’t get used much anymore

Blog Entries
    Had ours for 18 years and it has not missed a beat. Service every 7-8 years.

Pitch

I have a Hayter 48 Harrier and a Honda HR476 (four wheeler).

The Hayter does stripes really well, but because it has a single cutting blade it doesn't chop the grass cuttings fine enough to mulch, so I have to collect in the hopper. I suppose I could get round that by mowing twice a week, but there's a big area to mow, and time is precious....

The honda has double blades so mulches really well. No stripes though.

The Hayter is also really heavy - just short of 50Kg - so it's hard work doing the complicated bits around the trees (which are also on a slope, so gravity takes its toll). It does have a split rear roller though, so at least you can spin it on its axis if you want to.

Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    Meant to add, I have a Honda 426 with rear roller and it’s performed brilliantly. Lovely stripes in the lawn.

This mower sat unused for 6 years..... fresh fuel and it started straight up and has worked perfectly for the last few years without even a service. Take a look at them too
    I'd have bought another rear rollered Honda in preference to the Hayter, were it not for the fact that the Hondas (reasonably sized ones) have a one piece rear roller which restricts manoeverability. It (the roller) is also smooth, which for our garden would be a problem on wet grass, as we have something like a 3-4 metre slope on the main lawn. My hayter has a ribbed roller which pretty much never loses traction.

Horses for courses.