closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tax return help wanted pls

Craftsman

Tax return help wanted pls

For a number of reasons, primarily the fact I'm a dick, I have not submitted a self-assessment tax return for some part-time work I've done since 2018. I have registered with HMRC for self-assessment returns online but don't really have a clue what I can and can't claim for or how to present it. I would welcome a bit of advice from what I imagine is an accountant. Of course I'm not expecting this to be free but would welcome some basic advice initially and an idea of what I'm looking at cost wise if I employ their services going forward.

I have some self employed, rental (and PAYE part time) I do alot of the donkey work, categorise and list in/outs so fairly tidy for accountant and pay £450-550 depending on complexity/advice offered in that tax year - sole trader not limited. So for 2/3 years you should be able to work out a cheaper rate per year - you would save money by not giving them a shoe box full of receipts & invoices and spread sheeting the info.

Be prepared for some questions before they take you on, some practices may say no as they won't want the hassle - be honest and they may take pity, help and solve the problems. Good luck, don't worry it will all get sorted!
    Last edited by vulcangascompany; 17th July 2021 at 21:37.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by vulcangascompany View Post
    I you would save money by not giving them a shoe box full of receipts & invoices and spread sheeting the info.
    That’s very sensible advice.

I think you do need some decent professional advice as obviously you’ve issues with late returns and presumably with “failure to notify” that you had a new source of income which should have been reported.

Do make sure that you make a complete and full disclosure so it’s clear this was an isolated omission which is being completely made good.

Good luck!

Tax return help wanted pls

Generally a small local accountant will offer just as good a service for far lower fees than a big firm. For heaven’s sake don’t call KPMG, Deloitte or the likes. Expect your accountants bill would be high three figures.
    Plus the HMRC taxes, late penalties and interest. Good luck

Master
    Any small local accountant should be able to sort out your issues & they can even prepare & submit your personal tax return, although they will charge for it of course. I was told HMRC tend to look less at professionally prepared returns as they know they are likley to be correct.

There are some accountants who advertise over on the contractoruk forum & there might be one near you who you could have a chat with:

https://www.contractoruk.com/directo...countants.html

Craftsman

thanks

I've had a couple of good recommendations here and other places, thanks gents.