closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: SM300 and 7016

SM300 and 7016

I thought I would take a few pictures of my 2 favourite divers

Both civi versions (I think) but both were issued by European Navy's.
    When the SM300 arrived I was shocked at how much larger it wears than the 7016. It’s noticeable when on the wrist. The 7016 feels much smaller. Both are 40mm across the bezel but the 42mm case of the SM vs 39mm of the 7016 accounts for this.

Strangely the 7016 feels a bit thicker though.

This is mostly likely due to the thinner mid case on the SM. There is only .5mm thickness difference however 13mm for the 7016 and 13.5mm for the SM. Both have a lug to lug of 47mm

The 7016 dial is much more stark and functional, the lume on both is long dead but I suspect the Tudor would have been quite bright when new. Much brighter than the Omega. The dial is pure function before form. Although to my eye the form is excellent.

The SM has a more detailed, better proportioned dial, its still designed for legibility but there are more design flourishes used. E.g. open loops on the serif numbers and italic script. It is to my mind the best dial ever designed and I am glad its design has evolved but kept true to its origin, variants are still in use to this day on the CWC and Planet Ocean.

Its interesting that both Tudor (Rolex) and Omega took different approaches to the bezel design.

Both are bi-directional but Omegas attempt is far more sophisticated for the time, being lumed and having positive indents for the minutes as you turn the bezel.
    The Tudor being a simple friction bezel with aluminium insert.
    The Tudors insert has weathered its use and its age a bit better, so maybe it was the better option in the long run.

Both examples are far from NOS but I think they look better for being a bit battered.

The Tudor suffers from the typical dial rot of black dial 7016s. This one is a bit of an odd one as well as its serial number dates it to after the introduction of the 7016s replacement. It is a known oddity and as far as I can tell no one is sure why they produced a small number of the 7016 after the introduction of its replacement. I am guessing it was a specific order, its a puzzle I am trying to solve.

The SM is from the first year of production with the first version of the bezel insert.

A service Luminova insert came as part of the package when I bought it from SC. It does stick out like a sore thumb as being too new, as such the original bezel will stay on the watch. I will obtain a copy of the Omega Extract at some point, who knows I might get a pleasant surprise similar to when I did the same for my flightmaster - it was originally sold by the NAAFI.

Apologies for the lack of punctuation, Tapatalk has removed it all when I made an edit.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 17th July 2021 at 16:24.

Master
    Posts like this are such a joy to come across. Thanks for taking the trouble to share your thoughts on two iconic watches of yours. Your pictures are most impressive too.

Cheers They are purely self indulgent but I like to take the time to put down my thoughts.
    They are unlikely to be that interesting to most. There is no mention of residuals

Master
    Blog Entries
    Wonderful and interesting post thank you very much for it.

Master
    A super post and great photographs. The second picture really captures the lovely lug shape of the Omega.

Holy thread revival Batman…
    Whilst sitting bored on a teams meeting this morning, I thought I would keep myself occupied by deciding what watch to wear tomorrow.

The size difference between the 7016 and the SM300 is quite marked, both visually and on the wrist. So I thought I would compare them with an SBS and an 89.
    Unsurprisingly the SBS and SM wear very similar as the dimensions would suggest but the 89 is tiny compared with them all. At 38mm across and being a few mm thiner than the rest.

Just in case anyone is interested it will be the 7016 tomorrow.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Holy thread revival Batman…
    Whilst sitting bored on a teams meeting this morning, I thought I would keep myself occupied by deciding what watch to wear tomorrow.
    A nice dilemma to have. Four great watches.

Both lovely examples of nailed on icons.
    That 7016 dial is especially lovely, and the snowflake dial looks so good in no-date form.

Craftsman
    I’m pleased this thread has been bumped from the depths as I missed it the first time round. You’ve got a great collection and it’s so much nicer to see some watches with real heritage and history compared to the usual wrist trinkets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers Gents
    The older watches don’t get the wear they probably should but I prefer a more ‘robust’ (newer, waterproof with easy to replace parts) for day to day wear. But patina / wabi wins every time for looks.