closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which watches from today will age badly?

Hulk, utter shite now & even more utter shite in 10 years time.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Seems unlikely that most Kickstarters will even register.

They are made in tiny numbers and will vanish in the course of time, being as baffling to most as all those tiny Swiss brands from the 70s.

I think ceramic bezels will define the 2010s and been seen as a bit gaudy in time. Ceramic might last, but I think the overt use of it will become less apparent in time.

Of course, I may be totally wrong.

Todays smartwatches will 100% age poorly, being seen as those LED watches you had to press a button to illuminate or a Commodore PET in 20 years time

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    But little bugs can see how awesome they look in their reflection on ceramic bezels.

The minimalist style favoured by many fashion watches. Daniel Wellington for example.
    Utter crap.

I genuinely believe folk will look back at RM and laugh about them going for multiples of an already huge RRP.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    It won't matter. Wearing a watch will go the same way as wearing a hat.

Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post
    Some of the Graham's well pretty much all of them
    For them to age badly they'd have to be liked in the first place..!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Not sure about the Seamaster. I bought one on my honeymoon nearly 25 years ago (the first Pierce Brosnan auto version) and although slightly changed the design is still much the same. I think I sold it as it became a very common watch, I remember going to a business meeting and all 4 of us were wearing the same watch! - If it’s still being made a quarter of a century after introduction I don’t think it has really dated tbh
    I think that the original version (painted lume hour markers) of the Bond Seamaster has become a classic in its own right, with each successive up-date being progressively less ‘timeless’ and more likely to age badly. I see this a bit like a matt dial Submariner.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post
    Some of the Graham's well pretty much all of them
    I think they already have aged and it started about 15 years ago.

Craftsman
    Yes I think while smartwatch would age badly I don't think they, like phones, are made to last but to be sold in a coupe of years for a loss.

Will wearing a wrist watch die out possibly but I think the biggest danger is the masses only own one watch and seldom swap these during the day. While the smart watch sales are not a threat atm the companies selling theses are massive a iwatch behind the first tee at agusta is not unthinkable.

The other day I asked twenty or so folk on town the time almost three quarters looked at their phone with only a couple having a anologue watch.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

I think that dial colours may return to more conservative shades.

That may leave watches with jazzy dials out of fashion.

My own hope to age badly? Watches with green dials: no specific brand or shade of green. I simply do not like green dials, be it khaki or vivid.
    ______

​Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Very true

I would add to that most of the new Seiko watches from the Seiko 5 upwards to include many of the Grand Seiko. Churned out to the point they have just lost all significance.
    In the same way the old Seiko 5s or Casios, cheap watches will always be transient.

But like them, some will always see an appeal in the better examples.

The thread asked which designs would age badly.

Some will, some won't.

Changing the movement, won't alter that.

The new Rolex air king
    Only if the Rolex bubble bursts.

They're still pedalling some horribly dated designs and the faithful praise them as 'classic design'.

For now they could stick their logo on a £50 Chinese 'Tourbillion' (not the real ones) and enough people would rush with their gold credit cards to buy one at 100 times the price.

M

Last edited by snowman; 18th July 2021 at 11:25.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by TomGW View Post
    I think that the original version (painted lume hour markers) of the Bond Seamaster has become a classic in its own right, with each successive up-date being progressively less ‘timeless’ and more likely to age badly. I see this a bit like a matt dial Submariner.
    Couldn't agree more. As time goes on they have become progressively more garish.

My son has the latest black dialled iteration but I much prefer my original.

Cheers,
    Neil.

Craftsman

Faux vintage

Quote Originally Posted by Skyfire View Post
    Not sure about the 2000-2010 decade, I mostly remember oversized fashion watches from that period, but 2010-2020 was dominated by reissues from the 50-60's and faux patina, and they will probably all be considered kitsch and will most likely age badly.

Would agree with the Skyfire post, all those Faux vintage and reissued designs which have dominated the market will at some point become redundant as trends move on. Brands like Tudor which have been riding the nostalgia wave for some time and have become pretty much hostage to that particular trend with its constant releases of Black bay, with nothing much else in the design tank to maintain a market footing when the Faux vintage demand wanes.

Rolex supersize case is another I feel has already aged badly but at least Rolex responded by correcting the faults with the slimming of the lugs etc, which just emphasised the the poor design of the previous Supersize case.

Smart watches won't age, they'll have been thrown away just like your Nokia 3210.

Even the ones saved will probably be bricked by software development.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    It won't matter. Wearing a watch will go the same way as wearing a hat.
    Thank god hats are still widely available!

Blog Entries
    All of the 'hipster' brands claiming a connection to airplanes or car brands or both. Drop like a stone.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

I think what can be gathered from this thread is that the one consistency for watches of the last 20 years has been rinse repeat, offer little and scoop up as much cash as you possibly can. Watches that came out over the past few decades tended to represent something of the age, the space race, greed, identity, looking to the future. I guess watches today represent nothing but an illusion of the past. Fake patina, a million and one sub lookalikes, snoopy on the moon, snoopy in the shed, snoopy down the pub, speedy tuesday, Heuer not Tag. I think its a rather appropriate style of watches, an illusion of something to go with todays society an illusion of wealth while swimming in debt (Mortgage, credit cards, car finance) an illusion of equality (While black sportspeople are racially abused on a daily basis)........

Blog Entries
    I think what can be gathered from this thread is that the one consistency for watches of the last 20 years has been rinse repeat, offer little and scoop up as much cash as you possibly can. Watches that came out over the past few decades tended to represent something of the age, the space race, greed, identity, looking to the future. I guess watches today represent nothing but an illusion of the past. Fake patina, a million and one sub lookalikes, snoopy on the moon, snoopy in the shed, snoopy down the pub, speedy tuesday, Heuer not Tag. I think its a rather appropriate style of watches, an illusion of something to go with todays society an illusion of wealth while swimming in debt (Mortgage, credit cards, car finance) an illusion of equality (While black sportspeople are racially abused on a daily basis)........
    Well I never saw that from the OP. I thought it was just about which watches or brands would drop in popularity.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Well I never saw that from the OP. I thought it was just about which watches or brands would drop in popularity.
    I thought it was more about the style of watch rather than watch brand.

Blog Entries
    I thought it was more about the style of watch rather than watch brand.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Flasher View Post
    Would agree with the Skyfire post, all those Faux vintage and reissued designs which have dominated the market will at some point become redundant as trends move on. Brands like Tudor which have been riding the nostalgia wave for some time and have become pretty much hostage to that particular trend with its constant releases of Black bay, with nothing much else in the design tank to maintain a market footing when the Faux vintage demand wanes.

Rolex supersize case is another I feel has already aged badly but at least Rolex responded by correcting the faults with the slimming of the lugs etc, which just emphasised the the poor design of the previous Supersize case.
    I disagree, at least as regards Tudor. The Black Bay works because it’s a pretty classic design; yes, inspired by vintage Tudor/Rolex watches of ages past - but, these original watches are themselves still pretty handsome to most contemporary eyes, and the Black Bay works because it modernizes a design that is pretty long established and appealing. I personally don’t like the idea of ‘fauxtina’ - but I do think a bit of patina to a classic watch can add character, in the same way the Black Bay 58 for example works on its own terms - the hint of golden coloring against the black of the bezel and dial adds warmth. It wouldn’t appeal to everyone, but I don’t think it’s particularly faddish, and I would be surprised if it became outdated (unless we reach a point where classic and vintage watches are themselves universally viewed as outdated).

When it comes to the supersize Rolexes, however, I do agree, at least in theory - though at the same time, Rolex has sufficient cache that it wouldn’t surprise me if the general public disagreed. It will be interesting to see where we are in twenty years I suppose!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Couldn't agree more. As time goes on they have become progressively more garish.

My son has the latest black dialled iteration but I much prefer my original.

I have both the original ‘Bond’ Seamaster (2531.80??) and a 2254.50. Both are in very good condition but I can honestly say that I wouldn’t swap either of them for any of the more recent iterations. Not even for a brand new Seamaster.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lantenac06 View Post
    I disagree, at least as regards Tudor. The Black Bay works because it’s a pretty classic design; yes, inspired by vintage Tudor/Rolex watches of ages past - but, these original watches are themselves still pretty handsome to most contemporary eyes, and the Black Bay works because it modernizes a design that is pretty long established and appealing…
    This is an interesting question - if modern revivals of beautiful vintage watches will one day themselves seem like beautiful vintage watches. In the same way I wonder if new build houses in rustic styles that stick out like a sore thumb will one day age gracefully and fit in. At this point in time, it’s unclear.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vRSG60 View Post
    Hulk, utter shite now & even more utter shite in 10 years time.
    I think they are great. Collectors items. Unique and amazing pieces. Luckily we don’t all like the same things.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Not being in the watch business, I'm minded to consider only my own choices and I'm certain my hoard will age better than me.
    But if I can live with some degree of verve and integrity, then maybe they won't appear entirely ridiculous when I'm gone, whatever the fashion.

Which watches from today will age badly?

None. But the ones that will seem to will be owned/sold by the easily led and impressionable who buy to please others rather than buying for personal interest and pleasure.
    F.T.F.A.

While there will always be exceptions to every generalisation, these are on my personal Extinction List -

Huge, overweight, clumsily-massive diver-style watches: They may still exist, but they are already 'over' as watches get smaller and slimmer.

Bronze: that 'unique patina' is just someone else's grot. Used ones will become unsellable.

PVD: we need to stop pretending this crap doesn't wear-off the edges of our watches and look gash in no time. Again, just try selling a used one.

OK, that last one is also a peevish personal preference as well.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Seems unlikely that most Kickstarters will even register.

They are made in tiny numbers and will vanish in the course of time, being as baffling to most as all those tiny Swiss brands from the 70s.

I think ceramic bezels will define the 2010s and been seen as a bit gaudy in time. Ceramic might last, but I think the overt use of it will become less apparent in time.

Of course, I may be totally wrong.

Todays smartwatches will 100% age poorly, being seen as those LED watches you had to press a button to illuminate or a Commodore PET in 20 years time

M

You might well be right re the bezels.

Maybe in 30 years time people will be saying ‘ I do like <insert new material> bezels but prefer the look of vintage ceramic bezels.’

Much as I do about aluminium/steel bezels now.

How about bronze watches? Think that’s a trend that will fade?

Apprentice
    I have both the original ‘Bond’ Seamaster (2531.80??) and a 2254.50. Both are in very good condition but I can honestly say that I wouldn’t swap either of them for any of the more recent iterations. Not even for a brand new Seamaster.
    I have the GMT version. The only watch I will never sell.

Also have the black ceramic bezel GMT Master II - the omega is a way better watch.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    While there will always be exceptions to every generalisation, these are on my personal Extinction List -

…………….

PVD: we need to stop pretending this crap doesn't wear-off the edges of our watches and look gash in no time. Again, just try selling a used one.

OK, that last one is also a peevish personal preference as well.
    Please dump all your used, unwanted Heuer Pasadena/510.501, Panerai 4A/4B etc on my doorstep. Thanks.

Please dump all your used, unwanted Heuer Pasadena/510.501, Panerai 4A/4B etc on my doorstep. Thanks.
    Indeed, one man's 'gash' is another's 'loved'.

I have a couple of PVD watches.

A Sinn EZM7s, which shows no sign of wear and a Breil Manta from the 80s (so it's hardly 'from today') that does have some gentle wear to the finish on some edges, but I think looks brilliant.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Bronze: that 'unique patina' is just someone else's grot. Used ones will become unsellable.
    Don't currently own a bronze watch, but was under the impression the patina can quite easily be removed and the watch brought back to 'as-new'.

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Don't currently own a bronze watch, but was under the impression the patina can quite easily be removed and the watch brought back to 'as-new'.
    Indeed. Very easy to do.
    Actually it is fun to watch a bronze watch develop natural patina.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Indeed. Very easy to do.
    Actually it is fun to watch a bronze watch develop natural patina.
    Squirt of lemon juice and it’s almost back to new. Then you can make it your own :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Stilgoe1972 View Post
    Squirt of lemon juice and it’s almost back to new. Then you can make it your own :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    How many times can this be done before it’s noticeably not back to new?
    Personally, like the colour of bronze but not the patina.

Craftsman
    it’s been mentioned but faux patina and bronze watches for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think watches will still have a place in the next few decades but I suspect that the concept of an all day every day automatic will struggle to justify itself as will dates and complications like an auto chronograph that only increase bulk.

Manual wind occasional wear is the mechanical watch's future , you've ignored Cellini's at your peril.

Craftsman
    General way to answer this question is to look at what the footballers are wearing. It works at any given moment pretty much.

Currently that's RM, Royal Oak Offshore and a whole lot of Hublot.

Blog Entries
    So if Bronze & PVD are going to age badly, I've chosen a right couple of pups in these two...

Hey ho - they'll probably age better than I do ...

z

NATO straps.

Quartz (go smart /digital or go mechanical)

Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    NATO straps.
    NEVER!

Journeyman
    NATO straps.

I think it would be quite ironic for mechanical to outlive quartz. All things considered, I can see it happening in the not too distant future.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Most things with a Seiko NH35 movement, whatever the make, dial, case, handset or strap, likely to become "cannon fodder" at the back of a drawer.
    They are already cannon fodder to me, when I see a watch that states NH35 I lose interest.

Quote Originally Posted by stevecross View Post
    They are already cannon fodder to me, when I see a watch that states NH35 I lose interest.
    So do I.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by raysablade View Post
    I think watches will still have a place in the next few decades but I suspect that the concept of an all day every day automatic will struggle to justify itself as will dates and complications like an auto chronograph that only increase bulk.
    Manual wind occasional wear is the mechanical watch's future , you've ignored Cellini's at your peril.
    Bugger . . .

NATO straps.

Bugger . . .

F.T.F.A.

What makes you think that?

In 2020 the Swiss watch manufacturers exported 5.5 million mechanical watches. Casio has been increasing its sales of quartz G Shocks every year over the last decade or so and sold about twice as many as the total Swiss mechanical exports in 2020.

G Shocks are only a very small proportion of total quartz sales. Heck, even Swiss watch manufacturers sold way more quartz watches than mechanicals in 2020.

Mitch

you've ignored Cellini's at your peril.
    I’ll have a glass of whatever you’ve had.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    I’ll have a glass of whatever you’ve had.
    Not to my taste at all but I can't help thinking that 5241s and 5240s might start to be come collectable. They have a better fit with modern life than a GMT.

Master
    Surely most watch manufacturers will do every possible to make what’s in fashion today out of fashion in 5, 10, 15 years. That’s how they keep demand high.

There’s always going to be just enough innovation to make what’s in fashion today out of date tomorrow.

So bar some classics, which will never be in, or out of fashion most watches of our time will age badly.

Apart from Lemania based Porsche design of old I would say most car based watches, BMW, Audi, Merc..

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    Anything over 42mm.
    I can't see Big Pilots ageing badly

Apprentice
    Not to my taste at all but I can't help thinking that 5241s and 5240s might start to be come collectable. They have a better fit with modern life than a GMT.

That’s a good looking watch. Had no idea Rolex made these.

Can you actually buy one?