closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which watches from today will age badly?

Hybrid View

Which watches from today will age badly?

Every decade or so has a distinctive look. The colours of the 1960s, the shape of the 1970s, the bling of the 1980s and from the 1990s... well, let's forget about that decade. Nothing looks more dated than a TAG from that time.

Do we even have a watch that defines the design aesthetic of the 2000s or 2010s? I see lots of watches inspired by every era from the 1920s onwards but I struggle to put my finger on any watch that is clearly from this time. Perhaps some of the analogue G Steel models but as we all know, G Shocks don't count.

Can you think of one? And if so, how will it look in 20 or 30 years or more? To future watch nerds, will they see it like we see a nice Longines from the 1950s or will it look like a TAG Link?

Oh, and don't be lazy and just moan about watches bigger than 42mm.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Great question.

I’m not sure you’ll know the answer for a few years really.

But this is one I think will age well whilst still being rooted in its era;

Not sure about the 2000-2010 decade, I mostly remember oversized fashion watches from that period, but 2010-2020 was dominated by reissues from the 50-60's and faux patina, and they will probably all be considered kitsch and will most likely age badly.

Craftsman

Faux vintage

Quote Originally Posted by Skyfire View Post
    Not sure about the 2000-2010 decade, I mostly remember oversized fashion watches from that period, but 2010-2020 was dominated by reissues from the 50-60's and faux patina, and they will probably all be considered kitsch and will most likely age badly.

Would agree with the Skyfire post, all those Faux vintage and reissued designs which have dominated the market will at some point become redundant as trends move on. Brands like Tudor which have been riding the nostalgia wave for some time and have become pretty much hostage to that particular trend with its constant releases of Black bay, with nothing much else in the design tank to maintain a market footing when the Faux vintage demand wanes.

Rolex supersize case is another I feel has already aged badly but at least Rolex responded by correcting the faults with the slimming of the lugs etc, which just emphasised the the poor design of the previous Supersize case.

Smart watches won't age, they'll have been thrown away just like your Nokia 3210.

Even the ones saved will probably be bricked by software development.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Flasher View Post
    Would agree with the Skyfire post, all those Faux vintage and reissued designs which have dominated the market will at some point become redundant as trends move on. Brands like Tudor which have been riding the nostalgia wave for some time and have become pretty much hostage to that particular trend with its constant releases of Black bay, with nothing much else in the design tank to maintain a market footing when the Faux vintage demand wanes.

Rolex supersize case is another I feel has already aged badly but at least Rolex responded by correcting the faults with the slimming of the lugs etc, which just emphasised the the poor design of the previous Supersize case.
    I disagree, at least as regards Tudor. The Black Bay works because it’s a pretty classic design; yes, inspired by vintage Tudor/Rolex watches of ages past - but, these original watches are themselves still pretty handsome to most contemporary eyes, and the Black Bay works because it modernizes a design that is pretty long established and appealing. I personally don’t like the idea of ‘fauxtina’ - but I do think a bit of patina to a classic watch can add character, in the same way the Black Bay 58 for example works on its own terms - the hint of golden coloring against the black of the bezel and dial adds warmth. It wouldn’t appeal to everyone, but I don’t think it’s particularly faddish, and I would be surprised if it became outdated (unless we reach a point where classic and vintage watches are themselves universally viewed as outdated).

When it comes to the supersize Rolexes, however, I do agree, at least in theory - though at the same time, Rolex has sufficient cache that it wouldn’t surprise me if the general public disagreed. It will be interesting to see where we are in twenty years I suppose!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lantenac06 View Post
    I disagree, at least as regards Tudor. The Black Bay works because it’s a pretty classic design; yes, inspired by vintage Tudor/Rolex watches of ages past - but, these original watches are themselves still pretty handsome to most contemporary eyes, and the Black Bay works because it modernizes a design that is pretty long established and appealing…
    This is an interesting question - if modern revivals of beautiful vintage watches will one day themselves seem like beautiful vintage watches. In the same way I wonder if new build houses in rustic styles that stick out like a sore thumb will one day age gracefully and fit in. At this point in time, it’s unclear.

Craftsman
    Everything made by Hublot.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WatchFanUK23 View Post
    Everything made by Hublot.

Nowt wrong with hublot I’ve owned a couple I can tell you they’re very well made watches

Banned
    Most Kickstarter microbrands won't age well I think. Think the 2010s can be defined by those. 2000s maybe the rise of the Sub homage and 2020s maybe the rise of the everything homage?

Quote Originally Posted by James_ View Post
    Most Kickstarter microbrands won't age well I think. Think the 2010s can be defined by those. 2000s maybe the rise of the Sub homage and 2020s maybe the rise of the everything homage?
    Seems unlikely that most Kickstarters will even register.

They are made in tiny numbers and will vanish in the course of time, being as baffling to most as all those tiny Swiss brands from the 70s.

I think ceramic bezels will define the 2010s and been seen as a bit gaudy in time. Ceramic might last, but I think the overt use of it will become less apparent in time.

Of course, I may be totally wrong.

Todays smartwatches will 100% age poorly, being seen as those LED watches you had to press a button to illuminate or a Commodore PET in 20 years time

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Last edited by snowman; 17th July 2021 at 09:17.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post

They are made in tiny numbers and will vanish in the course of time, being as baffling to most as all those tiny Swiss brands from the 70s.

I think ceramic bezels will define the 2010s and been seen as a bit gaudy in time. Ceramic might last, but I think the overt use of it will become less apparent in time.

Todays smartwatches will 100% age poorly, being seen as those LED watches you had to press a button to illuminate or a Commodore PET in 20 years time

M

But little bugs can see how awesome they look in their reflection on ceramic bezels.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post

M

You might well be right re the bezels.

Maybe in 30 years time people will be saying ‘ I do like <insert new material> bezels but prefer the look of vintage ceramic bezels.’

Much as I do about aluminium/steel bezels now.

How about bronze watches? Think that’s a trend that will fade?

I think what can be gathered from this thread is that the one consistency for watches of the last 20 years has been rinse repeat, offer little and scoop up as much cash as you possibly can. Watches that came out over the past few decades tended to represent something of the age, the space race, greed, identity, looking to the future. I guess watches today represent nothing but an illusion of the past. Fake patina, a million and one sub lookalikes, snoopy on the moon, snoopy in the shed, snoopy down the pub, speedy tuesday, Heuer not Tag. I think its a rather appropriate style of watches, an illusion of something to go with todays society an illusion of wealth while swimming in debt (Mortgage, credit cards, car finance) an illusion of equality (While black sportspeople are racially abused on a daily basis)........

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    I think what can be gathered from this thread is that the one consistency for watches of the last 20 years has been rinse repeat, offer little and scoop up as much cash as you possibly can. Watches that came out over the past few decades tended to represent something of the age, the space race, greed, identity, looking to the future. I guess watches today represent nothing but an illusion of the past. Fake patina, a million and one sub lookalikes, snoopy on the moon, snoopy in the shed, snoopy down the pub, speedy tuesday, Heuer not Tag. I think its a rather appropriate style of watches, an illusion of something to go with todays society an illusion of wealth while swimming in debt (Mortgage, credit cards, car finance) an illusion of equality (While black sportspeople are racially abused on a daily basis)........
    Well I never saw that from the OP. I thought it was just about which watches or brands would drop in popularity.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooshabak View Post
    Nowt wrong with hublot I’ve owned a couple I can tell you they’re very well made watches
    I’m just saying they aren’t going to age well.

I’m going to state the obvious and say any Breitling with a yellow, orange or blue face. Additional points for an ornate and fragile bezel.

U Boats.

Master
    If I could answer the OPs question, I would be head hunted by a major watch maker and would earn a fantastic salary and all the perks that go with it.

I like everyone else here cannot answer the question so I shall continue to be retired perkless and in poverty.

Quote Originally Posted by Plake View Post
    I’m going to state the obvious and say any Breitling with a yellow, orange or blue face.
    Why is that obvious? It’s not obvious to me.

Simon

I saw the title and thought- aah, a great thread!
    Then I saw the answers and thought- may be not:-)
    For me the answer is in the original post. There is no particular watch style that epitomises today’s age. Of the mainstream watches, I don’t find anything that is going to age particularly badly. May be some of the smart watches.
    Last edited by RAJEN; 17th July 2021 at 00:02.

Anything with faux patina.

Anything over 42mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    Anything over 42mm.
    Stretch that to 43mm and I'll agree with you.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    Anything over 42mm.
    I can't see Big Pilots ageing badly

Quote Originally Posted by Spesh View Post
    Oops. For me these are some of the worst designs ever.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Oops. For me these are some of the worst designs ever.
    Each to their own.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    The Big pilot based on the B-Uhr which is an 80+ year old design.
    So while its fine to dislike them, has the design aged badly or well if its still considered modern enough to be manufactured in 2021?

Personally, I cant think of many "modern" designs which aren't riding on the back of something else, apart from RM.
    Hublot piggybacks the Genta AP design which is older than me. So the basic designs must be ageing alright even if the modern iterations are a bit marmite.

Its a good question and one I cant answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Spesh View Post
    I can. Rank affectation.

It won't matter. Wearing a watch will go the same way as wearing a hat.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    If that’s true I’ll eat my watch.

Judging from the average age of pics in the "watches worn well" thread, the golden era of watch wearing passed a while back
    Last edited by forpetesake; 17th July 2021 at 14:07.

Thank god hats are still widely available!

Blog Entries
    All of the 'hipster' brands claiming a connection to airplanes or car brands or both. Drop like a stone.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

I still wear a Hat, owning several.
    So you can see dinosaurs still roam this place we call home.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshiremadmick View Post
    I still wear a Hat, owning several.
    Magnificent! If only there were a "Pictures of hats worn well" thread...

Magnificent! If only there were a "Pictures of hats worn well" thread...

This a Dundee Hat hailing from Australia, bought in Stow on the Wold New Years Eve 1999 made with Kangaroo skin, crocodile band with six crocodile teeth in the band. The hat is well weathered and worn, this photo was from when the whole of the UK was frozen solid. Can’t place that year!
    2010-11

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Yorkshiremadmick; 20th July 2021 at 16:57.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    Anything with faux patina.
    Agreed and this is why I chopped in my original 58 for the blue.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    Agreed and this is why I chopped in my original 58 for the blue.
    Has the black got faux-patina? I've got one and it doesn't seem like faux vintage luminova to me?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Has the black got faux-patina? I've got one and it doesn't seem like faux vintage luminova to me?
    It’s the creamy aged effect lume they used instead of white like the blue model.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    It’s the creamy aged effect lume they used instead of white like the blue model.
    Ah, ok...yes, I see it now when I compare next to a picture of the blue! I don't notice it because I've had so many of Omega's vintage lume which looks brown in comparison!

I think anything with particularly bold styling tends to age badly. So I would guess most Hublots, RIchard Milles and dare I say it, the current seamaster pro (which I think is a lovely watch)

I appreciate the original question asked answers not to be lazy but I think it’s easier to pick out features which are typical of this time,like glossy ceramic bezels, oversized cases, the use of bronze, and cream lume are all features of the last 10-15 years. I’d probably throw in the SM300 in the list above given it matches those criteria.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    Do we even have a watch that defines the design aesthetic of the 2000s or 2010s?.
    As depressing as it is to say, probably those ghastly wood watches.

Craftsman
    Should be apple watch or Fitbit style watches for 2010s?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I think the XXL watches will not age well. I mean the 45+ millimeter ones.

You have to be a bodybuilder sized guy to wear a Breitling Super Avenger and not look silly, imho.

I’d say we are lucky to be living through a decade where there is so much choice, from case sizes to materials, retro 80’s digital and faux patina 60’s divers through to modern Big brands plundering their back catalogue and Garmin/apple watches amd microbrands there’s never been so much choice - and as a result I don’t think there has been a defining watch type which you can say will/won’t age badly

Great question and I’d also unfortunately think the Omega Seamaster. Purely because it’s so tied in with Bond films of the era.
    I’d also throw in the Corum bubble for good measure

Quote Originally Posted by daveyw View Post
    Great question and I’d also unfortunately think the Omega Seamaster. Purely because it’s so tied in with Bond films of the era.
    I’d also throw in the Corum bubble for good measure
    Not sure about the Seamaster. I bought one on my honeymoon nearly 25 years ago (the first Pierce Brosnan auto version) and although slightly changed the design is still much the same. I think I sold it as it became a very common watch, I remember going to a business meeting and all 4 of us were wearing the same watch! - If it’s still being made a quarter of a century after introduction I don’t think it has really dated tbh

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Not sure about the Seamaster. I bought one on my honeymoon nearly 25 years ago (the first Pierce Brosnan auto version) and although slightly changed the design is still much the same. I think I sold it as it became a very common watch, I remember going to a business meeting and all 4 of us were wearing the same watch! - If it’s still being made a quarter of a century after introduction I don’t think it has really dated tbh

I tend to agree with this, I think the SMP300 has become a classic now.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I think that the original version (painted lume hour markers) of the Bond Seamaster has become a classic in its own right, with each successive up-date being progressively less ‘timeless’ and more likely to age badly. I see this a bit like a matt dial Submariner.