closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Appalling driving today A1M

Hybrid View

Appalling driving today A1M

In all my years as a police and civilian driver have I witnessed some of the most idiotic driving. I was on the A1M and had just missed this one ..
    https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/ne...ly-say-police/
    I've had BMW drivers within 5 feet of my car rear at 70mph.
    What is wrong with people today?
    Like lemmings on a death wish.

Just up the road from me, shame but it happens and seems to be getting worse, everyone just seems to be in a rush these days or can't resist seeing the latest notification on their smartphone whilst driving...

As the story doesn’t say, can you tell us what caused the crash

Master
    Largely I don't think it is people in a hurry because get behind someone on a single carriageway road and they'll amble along at 50.

I think it's lack of interest in, attention to and application to their driving. They get in the living rooms on wheel and are elsewhere while some small part of them controls the machine from a to b. But then there are the audi/bmw/merc lunatics but that's not about hurry either it's about control.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    As the story doesn’t say, can you tell us what caused the crash
    Can't I'm afraid Adrian as it happened moments after I passed that J61.
    There are accidents there frequently.
    The northbound sliproad onto the A1 is
    a hazard as drivers speed of it and approaching fast traffic don't adjust their driving on the approach.
    I've a pal on Road Traffic who may have attended if so I'll get more info from him.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Mobile use at the wheel is a major factor.

Most dodgy thing I keep seeing are all the idiots who sit in the fast lane and at the last minute turn across three lanes onto a slip road.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    a hazard as drivers speed of it and approaching fast traffic don't adjust their driving on the approach.
    I've a pal on Road Traffic who may have attended if so I'll get more info from him.

If you don't know what happened, how do you know it was caused by appalling driving?

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    If you don't know what happened, how do you know it was caused by appalling driving?
    No one knows including Rod, as per his first post he never saw it but stated he had drivers hanging off his bumper at 70mph on the same stretch of the road, hence the appalling driving statement…

As a driver of that stretch of road, I totally agree with the comments about the junctions and drivers reacting too late, see so many near misses when you use that road…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the most dangerous thing on the roads today is large lorries overtaking, one lorry overtaking another because his speed limiter calibration is slightly different and causing a huge 56 mph traffic jam full of builders vans and smaller lorries, causing all the cars behind to be completely blind. however large a gap they leave. The lorry drivers don't care how big the jam is behind them or the disruption it causes on slip roads them, I see this on the M11 and A12 all the time. lorries should be banned from overtaking anywhere in the UK, The French have done the correct thing in banning them completely at weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    How do you think accidents happen then?

Is it drivers from the slip-road going to slowly or too fast?

A1 still closed on this section and as a result traffic around Durham this morning was gridlocked on the way to drop my daughter at school, whilst sat in the que’s of slow moving traffic the amount of people on their phones was unbelievable.

Had a M5 driver hanging off my bumper also this morning while I was slowing to turn right off a dual carriageway, in the end he swerved to the left which caused the car on the inside lane to brake then moved back into the right hand lane to accelerate away.

Again too many people in a rush and not paying proper attention to the roads.

Master
    its just people behind a wheel who are inattentive or entitled. I cycle into work every day (12 miles each way) in Nth Mcr and I watch some crazy driving every day. People who are darting from lane to lane to get 1 car ahead, running red lights at speed, people on phones or just distracted. Thats how it is now, people dont think they should have to pay attention to the road or whats happening in front of or around them. I just ride, try to be predictable and signal when necessary. Some motorists seem to see every pedestrian,cyclist, other motorist and traffic control as a personal challenge.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ty-Durham.html

Only thing it mentions is a lorry crossed the central reservation?
    Is that the cause, no one knows yet fully.

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Only thing it mentions is a lorry crossed the central reservation?
    Is that the cause, no one knows yet fully.
    Don't be silly, Rod knows and he wasn't even there. No need for witnesses, dash cams or evidence, you just need to take Rod's word for it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Don't be silly, Rod knows and he wasn't even there. No need for witnesses, dash cams or evidence, you just need to take Rod's word for it.
    Seems a bit harsh - unless i've missed something .

B

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Seems a bit harsh - unless i've missed something .

B
    There are quite a few things I would trust Rod's view on, this isn't one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    There are quite a few things I would trust Rod's view on, this isn't one of them.
    Where have I stated that fact, that was the cause of the accident?
    I wasn't there. I use that section of the motorway regularly and all I have said is that when people join the motorway at J61 northbound, they enter at speed and approaching motorists, particularly occupying two lanes have no where to go and accidents can happen.
    Of course my view is irrelevant in this case.

For what it's worth Rod there's more chance you're right than wrong but the fact is no one knows what caused it yet but you're already balls deep with your version.

Appalling driving on the A1? so a BMW coming within 5' of my bumper yesterday at 70mph is not appalling?

Driving standards are getting worse, particularly as cars get more powerful, drivers are more arrogant, drug use is worse etc, etc.

The driving instructor I know says even some teens that he is teaching choose to ignore his instructions about speed limits and courtesy. Its even making him considering jacking it in as it totally frustrates him now.

In respect to yestrday's accident I feel for the relatives of those that may have been killed as it's no fun for a officer to inform them of the cosequences of what happened.

Because of some of the negative responces on this thread I'll not respond anymore.

Appalling driving on the A1? so a BMW coming within 5' of my bumper yesterday at 70mph is not appalling?

Driving standards are getting worse, particularly as cars get more powerful, drivers are more arrogant, drug use is worse etc, etc.

The driving instructor I know says even some teens that he is teaching choose to ignore his instructions about speed limits and courtesy. Its even making him considering jacking it in as it totally frustrates him now.

In respect to yestrday's accident I feel for the relatives of those that may have been killed as it's no fun for a officer to inform them of the cosequences of what happened.

Because of some of the negative responces on this thread I'll not respond anymore.
    I think a lot of people associated the thread title with the link, reinforced by your response of "what do you think causes accidents?".

Certainly, tailgaters are dangerous.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Steady on chaps. Remember that this isn't the Bear Pit.

Apologies Rod, I didn't mean to start all this negativity, and I agree the accident was in all likleyhood caused and compounded by bad driving - too fast, too close and not really paying attention.

Driving standards are getting worse, no doubt about it. Especially in big cities with all the mopeds rushing around with Deliveroo & Co orders.

I commuted by motorbike from Hertfordshire into central London for years and each morning on the A10 once I got near to the M25. Enfield junction the stink of weed at 7.30am was something else and that's before you see everyone on their phone. Never calling, but always on WhatsApp and Facebook. Loads have their phone on YouTube or iPlayer watching TV with their phones clipped to their air vents. Mental.

Some twat up your backside at 70 again isn't ideal and is terrible driving. Not many will say different. A troll might ask what lane you were in and if you were overtaking but I won't ;)

I see a large number of drivers on their mobiles, of all ages and in all types of vehicles. I live near to a large sports complex and on a weekend the amount of drivers speeding and on their phones with their kids (and other people's kids) in the car is staggering.

I wonder how much the fine would have to be (£5,000?) to stop people doing this. But maybe the odds of being caught and prosecuted are so low that people are happy to chance it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Master
    I had someone swerve about 2ft into my lane along a 40mph urban dual carriageway. As I passed I noticed the ‘woman’ with many chins was shoving a sausage roll in her gob driving along.

When we stopped at the lights, got her to drop her window before giving her both barrels about the stupidity & lack of attention she was giving the road / other users.

Alas I then pointed out to her that she was unlikely to starve to death by waiting a few minutes given her amble reserves, or words to that effect.

At this point, my wife told me to STFU

Master
    Multiple threads in the last few days where people seem intent to pick holes, argue or just be arses to each other for no reason.

Put phones down, log off from laptops & enjoy a chilled weekend gents. There is enough real world stuff going on that’s awful without this place becoming something it should not.

HAGWE

Master
    In all my years as a police and civilian driver have I witnessed some of the most idiotic driving. I was on the A1M and had just missed this one ..
    https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/ne...ly-say-police/
    I've had BMW drivers within 5 feet of my car rear at 70mph.
    What is wrong with people today?
    Like lemmings on a death wish.
    Not sure if it’s the hot weather Rod I agree with you I was on the speed limiter this morning in a long 30 area I had an audi come on my tail flashing his lights nutter.

Master
    I used to teach driver safety and most folks were amazed when you give them a 30 metre (100 foot) tape measure and ask them to demonstrate thinking and braking distances from legal speeds (something taught in all driving schools but often not demonstrated practically). The most chilling instruction/demonstration was what damage could be done to the human body at relatively low (legal) speeds. Post accident clearing up is one of the most harrowing jobs there is. I'm glad that I no longer have to do it. I remember a local traffic officer who used to suggest that speeders should have a six inch nail araldited to the centre of their steering wheel and pointing towards them, when they got back behind it!

See they have arrested the lorry driver on suspicion of death by dangerous driving…