closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Lumber prices down. Let's see how long it takes before we notice it in the shops...

Blog Entries

Lumber prices down. Let's see how long it takes before we notice it in the shops...

After incredible lumber prices the last few months, things are likely to change: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busi...arty-ends-for/

Now, how long will it take before we notice anything when buying...

Craftsman
    How long before steel follows suit?

Master
    I just put a new fence up a couple of weeks ago consisting of 4 6x6 panels got a good deal at a local timber yard £100 less than wickes

Typical; I’ve just completed a decking project in the garden amid the rapidly rising prices. If I’d waited until autumn it would have cost me substantially less!

Master
    I also had noticed the lumbed price drop. However, I remain sceptical about it feeding through to prices on the shelves any time soon, if at all...let's wait to see.

The wholesale price of a raw material has reduced, but the consumer is now used to paying more. Do we really expect that to filter to the customer, or will it support the poor old shareholder?
    I know where my money is going. :)

Quote Originally Posted by RichS View Post
    The wholesale price of a raw material has reduced, but the consumer is now used to paying more. Do we really expect that to filter to the customer, or will it support the poor old shareholder?
    I know where my money is going. :)
    Me too.
    On eye wateringly expensive timber.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Typical; I’ve just completed a decking project in the garden amid the rapidly rising prices. If I’d waited until autumn it would have cost me substantially less!
    At least you can enjoy the decking this summer rather than having to wait.

That’s true and we are doing!

My builder tore up one of our suspended floors to put a solid floor in (+underfloor heating)

I built this with about 5% of the reclaimed floor boards and joists rather than put the in the skip. The other 95% of the wood is in my barn, about 300 kg of it. The big pieces are 150x80mm and about 3m long

The Sainsburys man asked if he could take a few pieces out of the skip, and gave me 3 bottles of red wine in return!

Blog Entries
    I’ve just put about £4K of timber in my loft which would’ve been at least half the cost last year….

Extension roof beams still to go

Celotex insulation boards are also eye waveringly dear…. I’m expecting a £2.5k bill for that

I did a deal with my builder that I cover sourcing and he does the building…. I’ve done quite nicely on some bits but been absolutely jiggered on some bits…. A bloomin’ nightmare

But what do you do? I’m pleased with what’s happening and we’ll have a lovely home at the end…. Just a bit galling!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doc View Post

My builder tore up one of our suspended floors to put a solid floor in (+underfloor heating)

I built this with about 5% of the reclaimed floor boards and joists rather than put the in the skip. The other 95% of the wood is in my barn, about 300 kg of it. The big pieces are 150x80mm and about 3m long

The Sainsburys man asked if he could take a few pieces out of the skip, and gave me 3 bottles of red wine in return!
    Selling reclaimed wood is going to be big. Here, a local lumberyard has now changed to selling reclaimed wood. He sells it for the price of 2019/2020's new wood (before it became so expensive). Business is booming.

Menno

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Celotex insulation boards are also eye waveringly dear….
    We bought all ours a couple of years ago on the cusp of the fire at one of the major manufacturing plants. Looking back at what we paid then (think it was 2019) the current price is nearly 3 times what we paid per sheet!!!.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    I’ve just put about £4K of timber in my loft which would’ve been at least half the cost last year….
    Ooof.
    I thought mine was bad enough. I needed to replace the joists in a bedroom. It's a 5m span and the 1920's builders used 3"*2.5" timbers. A combination of 100 years of gravity and woodworm damaged timbers meant the ceiling was sagging 4 to 5" in the middle.
    It is now spanned with £620 worth of 9*3" timbers. At 45Kg each they were a bit of a mare getting through a first floor window!

While I was at it, I replaced the wooden beam over the window with a steel. The beam too had sagged, by about an inch and a half in the middle. So the whole roof had to be lifted with acrows to get is all straight again.
    I couldn't even find a builder willing to quote for the job, so I wound up doing the whole thing myself.

I also want a shed built in the garden. I would prefer a groundworker to dig it out & build the retaining walls, then I'll build a shed on top. But I've only managed to get one quote so far and the chap wants £6000 for a 3m*5m hole in the ground. I'm going to buy myself a new shovel.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Just done exactly the same ...........will have to resist checking prices in a month or so...

Mine was 6.5m x 4.8m

For Postcrete Cement, Posts, Joists/Frame and the Decking Boards, Wickes was £2450 , a local Timber / Building Supplier was £1900 .......still double what i thought the materials were going to be !

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    We bought all ours a couple of years ago on the cusp of the fire at one of the major manufacturing plants. Looking back at what we paid then (think it was 2019) the current price is nearly 3 times what we paid per sheet!!!.
    That’s made me feel a whole lot better…. !!!

It’s so important (and regs demand it) to insulate properly…. I bet builders are desperately trying to dodge the cost!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeveal View Post
    Ooof.
    I thought mine was bad enough. I needed to replace the joists in a bedroom. It's a 5m span and the 1920's builders used 3"*2.5" timbers. A combination of 100 years of gravity and woodworm damaged timbers meant the ceiling was sagging 4 to 5" in the middle.
    It is now spanned with £620 worth of 9*3" timbers. At 45Kg each they were a bit of a mare getting through a first floor window!

While I was at it, I replaced the wooden beam over the window with a steel. The beam too had sagged, by about an inch and a half in the middle. So the whole roof had to be lifted with acrows to get is all straight again.
    I couldn't even find a builder willing to quote for the job, so I wound up doing the whole thing myself.

I also want a shed built in the garden. I would prefer a groundworker to dig it out & build the retaining walls, then I'll build a shed on top. But I've only managed to get one quote so far and the chap wants £6000 for a 3m*5m hole in the ground. I'm going to buy myself a new shovel.
    Good builders can pick and choose work now!

As I mentioned earlier I cut a deal where I absorbed the cost of materials, which was fine by me…

I ended up getting my bricks for free though…. Which was an unexpected bonus as the old coal shed was double skin and had (just) enough bricks to do one gable and end the front!