closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: MARMITE new arrival.

MARMITE new arrival.

Pro endurance holiday watch.
    (Just need a holiday now)
    Got a great deal off amj watches on this.
    Really light,very quirky.
    Not one for the purists.
    I need to release one now though.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Master
    I like them, as you say, they are great for holidays. They do some funky colours, I quite like the red one, but they are too big for me sadly.
    I feel your pain, no holidays on the horizon (think mine in January is likely to be cancelled, again).

Not that Marmite for a Breitling, the yellow dial ones or comedy thickness ones are Marmite

Not that Marmite. Remember the fiberglass/plastic "Sprint" from the 80s?
    "Owning one is almost as satisfying as making one." ~ Rolex 1973

Was a bit surprised when I saw the one on SC to find it's basically a plastic watch with a quartz movement for two-and-a-half-grand new! The power of branding I guess

That said, I love the overall look of the watch, and now fancy trying one! First Breitling I've ever had the horn for!

The plastic, sorry, BreitlightTM case is what puts me off. Makes me think it is a Swatch for the more well off.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Was a bit surprised when I saw the one on SC to find it's basically a plastic watch with a quartz movement for two-and-a-half-grand
    I said the same when a friend was looking at the Iron Man branded version. To be fair he has completed a few Iron Man events but for that money I said I'd personally buy a Timex Iron Man and go on a nice holiday*

What amused me even more was that one retailer was offering a free watch winder!

*Although I did let him know that the red Iron Man version appears to get good reviews on Amazon...
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07T43D5...PATECF2W6HREAJ
    Last edited by boywithabubblegun; 16th July 2021 at 12:53.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    .......Makes me think it is a Swatch for the more well off.
    Exactly!
    "Owning one is almost as satisfying as making one." ~ Rolex 1973

As I said marmite.
    In the flesh they very well made and as I said I wanted a holiday watch and for that they are bang on.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

Every time I see these I think of the late 80’s/early 90’s Tag Heuer F1 watches. Plastic case (I think they sold them as fibreglass reinforced?) Push crown and still good for 200m. Came in various lurid colours and metal cased versions too. There was even a chrono version though I never had one. I wore various versions to the likes of Magaluf as a teenager in combination with 80’s dayglo Miami vice fashion whilst listening to Wham and Duran Duran. My point is, a plastic cased sporty watch from a Swiss maker is hardly new, I think the Tag’s were £79 in plastic, £99 in metal for years - frankly makes you realise how stupid current prices are (Breitling haven’t even bothered to include upgrades like solar/atomic, it’s even the same level of tech as an 80’s watch ffs!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Every time I see these I think of the late 80’s/early 90’s Tag Heuer F1 watches. Plastic case (I think they sold them as fibreglass reinforced?) Push crown and still good for 200m. Came in various lurid colours and metal cased versions too. There was even a chrono version though I never had one. I wore various versions to the likes of Magaluf as a teenager in combination with 80’s dayglo Miami vice fashion whilst listening to Wham and Duran Duran. My point is, a plastic cased sporty watch from a Swiss maker is hardly new, I think the Tag’s were £79 in plastic, £99 in metal for years - frankly makes you realise how stupid current prices are (Breitling haven’t even bothered to include upgrades like solar/atomic, it’s even the same level of tech as an 80’s watch ffs!)

I'd forgotten all about those! Agree...same concept.

That’s the ones!! I had the grey and yellow, and the black and yellow, plus a couple of lurid pink animal straps I’d swap them onto when the fancy took me. Wayfarers on, espadrilles on, push up jacket cuffs I’m ready to party!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    it's basically a plastic watch with a quartz movement for two-and-a-half-grand new!
    I too love the watch’s look but can’t get over the price. It’s a plastic quartz that costs two-and-a-half grand!

Breitling must be laughing all the way to the Swiss bank.

A fiver for the case, a tenner for the movement and £2400 for the marketing.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Marmite, however quality wise it excellent and attention to detail is as good as other breitlings and omegas I've had.
    It's made of carbon so v. Light and cosc. Certified.
    For a holiday watch it suits me,not that I'm likely to be going on one for a while .

I see the comparison with the tags but can't comment as I have never had one.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Glad you like it Wits. I quite fancy the simple 3 handed model. Surprised many posters aren’t aware that Breitling quartz movements are top spec but there you go.

Sorry but these make me shudder. It is laughable that they are pitching these as sports watches in the current climate of much cheaper, way more functional sports watches (insert GPS or smart watch brand here).

How can it really be COSC if it is a quartz movement? In my opinion that undermines the whole point of COSC if it applies to quartz watches too.

For a holiday watch, not sure I even like the idea as it might attract unwanted attention being a garish Breitling. I'd much rather a micro brand ETA powered watch for 20% of the price to take on holiday.

Sorry, if you like it, great.

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by oliverte View Post
    Sorry but these make me shudder. It is laughable that they are pitching these as sports watches in the current climate of much cheaper, way more functional sports watches (insert GPS or smart watch brand here).

How can it really be COSC if it is a quartz movement? In my opinion that undermines the whole point of COSC if it applies to quartz watches too.

For a holiday watch, not sure I even like the idea as it might attract unwanted attention being a garish Breitling. I'd much rather a micro brand ETA powered watch for 20% of the price to take on holiday.

Sorry, if you like it, great.

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk
    I think COSC requirements are different for quartz - hence you start to see things like thermocompensated movements.

Probably overpriced for what it is, but how many watches discussed here are not?

Marmite for sure but a very good looking watch.
    Notwithstanding ignorant, unfunny and unfoundedly dismissive comments about it being plastic and a couple of dollars quartz movement. Some people are too dense to realise that all that is not metal is not plastic.
    It is over priced for sure just like many luxury watches are but no more than the others.
    Breitling quartz movements are not the same found in cheap watches. One may not wish to spend so much on a quartz watch and that is fine but some of the comments are downright ridiculous.
    For the uninitiated, here is some basic information for quartz movements for COSC certification
    Last edited by RAJEN; 20th July 2021 at 23:29.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wits View Post
    Marmite, however quality wise it excellent and attention to detail is as good as other breitlings and omegas I've had.
    It's made of carbon so v. Light [...] I see the comparison with the tags but can't comment as I have never had one.
    Carbon is cool for a watch case

How well do you think the carbon case will resist scratches? Better or worse than steel?

I used to have one of the original (fibreglass case) TAG Heuers, and it was fun to wear. The crown wasn't screw-in, the bezel paint didn't last, and the plastic straps quickly broke. But used examples were easy to buy cheaply and ideal on holiday, etc. This Breitling looks like a much-improved version, but at a helluva price for what it is.

Master

Post Automatic movement, carbon case: Squale T-183

In this style (carbon case, distinctive look), is Squale the only competition? Squale offers the T-183 watch in a couple of colours, and they are automatics with carbon and glass fibre cases for about £1k.

Quote Originally Posted by Squale
    Squale’s T-183 collection was designed to be durable and tough. This collection comprises two models released in early 2020 after making a debut appearance in Baselworld the year before. The T-183 collection showcases luxury diving watches crafted with premium materials, suited to those seeking a highly resistant and lightweight diving accessory.

Key Features of the T-183 Collection:

• The optimal feature of this collection is the special carbon and glass fiber case which measures 42mm and is complimented with a highly resistant matte ceramic bezel insert.
    • The caseback, crown and bezel are coated in DLC (diamond like carbon) which is highly scratch resistant.
    • The strap is made from Ballistic microfiber for ultimate comfort.
    • For further durability, the dial is protected by scratch resistant sapphire glass.
    • For clear timekeeping in the dark, the models within this collection are equipped with Swiss Super-LumiNova® on the indices and the hands of each model.
    • Water resistant up to 600m.
    • The T-183 watch is powered by the highly reliable and precise Swiss Sellita SW200 Elaboré automatic movement.

The carbon case is advertised as unscratchable which seems rather bold.
    As I said marmite but they look great on the wrist,weigh next to nothing and ticks the boxes I wanted. Apparently an enormous success for breitling which in itself is great just to p**s off the haters.
    Each to their own, crikey the speedmaster fanboys use up a thousand pages a week on here and that is truly a dull piece only livened up by a weekly limited edition.

That's why everyone is different in what they like.
    Long live diversity, difference,breitling, circumstances and even speedmasterzzzzzz

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk