closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega buckle or deployment

Craftsman

Omega buckle or deployment

I am looking to buy a vintage buckle but after looking around realise I know nothing about them and am keen to avoid the fakes out there.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice on how to spot a fake or perhaps a recommendation on a place to buy/start from

Thanks

Sent from my VOG-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by UMBROSUS View Post
    I am looking to buy a vintage buckle but after looking around realise I know nothing about them and am keen to avoid the fakes out there.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice on how to spot a fake or perhaps a recommendation on a place to buy/start from

Thanks

Omega vintage buckles are hard. What width are you looking for? Most are 14mm, there are 16mm and 18mm, but they are sought after.

This is a good starting point:
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/abou...buckles.37347/

If unsure, I'd run the buckle you're about to buy through this thread. I have a few. 14-18mm, but I have scored a fake or two as well.

If you don't mind non period correct buckle, getting a vintage-looking buckle from Omega is an option.

More here:
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/the-...buckle.123774/
    Last edited by ollipekka; 14th July 2021 at 18:46.

Craftsman
    Ok thanks

Mabe a WTB pist here before I venture to the lions den of ebay would be best.

Grand Master
    Buy an obvious replica from ebay and enjoy it, that takes all the worry out of paying a premium for something that might or might not be genuine.

Much as I enjoy my collection of vintage Omegas I really can’t get too obsessive about buckles.
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 16th July 2021 at 21:24.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Buy an obvious replica from ebay and enjoy it, that takes all the worry out of paying a premium for something that might or might not be genuine.

Much as I enjoy my collection of vintage Omegas I really can’t get too obsessive about buckles.
    I have been struggling with the same dilemma over a buckle for my memovox. I have no idea where to even start when it comes to looking for a correct period JLC buckle and so I came to this conclusion - I just bought a decent looking buckle off eBay with JLC embossed on it because it looked nice.

That said though, there is something to be said for the enjoyment of researching and maybe tracking down a gem from the correct era. I’m in no rush and it gives me something to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I'm also conflicted about the buckles. Best way to get a genuine period correct buckle is to buy one with a watch. Hoarders probably have buckets of genuine buckles all sorted out. Only case where I'd consider a loose buckle at this point would be a gold watch with correct buckle. Having said that, I've been on a hunt for a genuine, reasonably priced, 14k gold/rose gold buckle without any luck for couple of years.

Grand Master
    I spend time trying to source original/ correct parts for old watches and I've developed a hierarchy: Correct movement parts are a must, without them the watch won’t work properly so this is where the money has to be spent. Hands and dials are a close second, these are the bits that make the watch look right. Next is the crown, I like to see a correct crown provided it’s waterproof, but I won't compromise water resistance simply to retain an original crown, if I can’t fit a new seal or source a correct replacement the watch gets a plain generic that’ll keep the water out. Folks try telling me they’re not worried about water resistance on an old watch but I usually persuade them otherwise, total lack of WR severely limits the wearability if a watch.

Next on the list is the crystal, I favour good quality generics if the original can’t be sourced for sensible money, provided the crystal fits and does its job I don’t see a problem.

We then come to the strap. For the majority of vintage watches the original style strap no longer exists, whatever the manufacturer supplies ( at great cost) will fit and has the manufacturers stamp on the back but thats where the similarity ends, I recommend buying a decent quality strap of your choice instead, straps are a personal choice and make a big difference to how the watch looks and wears.

Finally, we come to the buckle. Usually the original has been lost so a replacement has to be sourced, and I have to question how important it really is to pay silly money for something with the manufacturers emblem, we really are into diminishing returns territory here. However, most watch enthusiasts buy with their heads not their hearts so they’re happier paying £60 for a buckle than £60 for a new mainspring barrel.

Sometimes it makes sense to take a step back and get these things in perspective.
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 17th July 2021 at 21:40.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I spend time trying to source original/ correct parts for old watches and I've developed a hierarchy: Correct movement parts are a must, without them the watch won’t work properly so this is where the money has to be spent. Hands and dials are a close second, these are the bits that make the watch look right. Next is the crown, I like to see a correct crown provided it’s waterproof, but I won't compromise water resistance simply to retain an original crown, if I can’t fit a new seal or source a correct replacement the watch gets a plain generic that’ll keep the water out. Folks try telling me they’re not worried about water resistance on an old watch but I usually persuade them otherwise, total lack of WR severely limits the wearability if a watch.

Next on the list is the crystal, I favour good quality generics if the original can’t be sourced for sensible money, provided the crystal fits and does its job I don’t see a problem.

We then come to the strap. For the majority of vintage watches the original style strap no longer exists, whatever the manufacturer supplies ( at great cost) will fit and has the manufacturers stamp on the back but thats where the similarity ends, I recommend buying a decent quality strap of your choice instead, straps are a personal choice and make a big difference to how the watch looks and wears.

Finally, we come to the buckle. Usually the original has been lost so a replacement has to be sourced, and I have to question how important it really is to pay silly money for something with the manufacturers emblem, we really are into diminishing returns territory here. However, most watch enthusiasts buy with their heads not their hearts so they’re happier paying £60 for a buckle than £60 for a new mainspring barrel.

Sometimes it makes sense to take a step back and get these things in perspective.
    Logic all the way here.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I was looking for a buckle for the f300 I bought off SC so tbh I am kinda looking for a gold one but they seem expensive when there is some doubt about their authenticity.

In the meantime I have put it on a gold bracelet while I continue my search. It does not fit great though.

Should anyone have anything for sale a wee pm would be great... Lol

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by UMBROSUS; 18th July 2021 at 08:04.

There are many different designs of Omega buckles over the years.

Here are the Omega original gold plated buckles I have in my collection ( in my slightly blurred pic) and you can see they differ quite a lot over time.

Cheers,
    Neil.