closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: SOTC 13/07/2021

Master

SOTC 13/07/2021

Having joined the 21st century and having a go at "tech", albeit at a very basic level, I thought I'd give this a go. So, here goes.
    The Swiss;

The rest;

The wife's posh watch

She also has a Steinhart 39 Ocean one and too many Ice watches (I know)

And a nice collection it is too
    I like the Orange Seiko, what is it? I have not seen one with 2 crowns before, I presume one moves the inner compass bezel?

Master
    Without wishing to bore everyone too much, a bit of background (or is it backstory?) to them.
    The 116610 was my retirement present to myself in 2010. I don't need to say much about these other than I love it.
    The orange dialled Seiko SNM037 was an impulse buy In Cairns after too many Pure Blond Naked's (it's ok, it's a beer) during my retirement holiday. It sat in my watch box for years because of the crappy Seiko rubber strap until I discovered a nice orange WatchGeko rubber which gave it new life. It's quite chunky but a nice fun summer watch. Yes the inner bezel is a compass, not that I've ever used it, but I quite like the supercompressor style (obviously not a real supercompressor case).
    I later joined this place and it all went rather south. The G-Shock was from SC here when my old one started to play up. The 009 was the responsibility of LTF once I saw his amazing photo on here with the Strapcode oyster (which really does lift the quality of the piece beyond the money paid for it) . The Speedy Pro was also from here was because I apparently needed a chrono, I know, any excuse. I wasn't sure about having a hand wound watch but despite it's size (I have 6 3/4" wrists) I rather like it.
    I then realised I needed a Time Factors product, so a PRS I 18Q was added by Mrs Beanie for a birthday.
    A holiday in 2016 meant I needed a fairly nice, but not too expensive diver (bit of a common theme here) and I like the grab-and-go of a quartz so the Longines HC came along. This originally had a red bezel for a bit of colour, but I managed to have a black one fitted which is more to my liking.
    The Hamilton was another impulse buy. Mrs Beanie was choosing a ring at a jewellers in Orlando and as I had nothing to do until my credit card was required I was browsing the watch section. I was drawn to the Tudor Pelagos but knew the card was going to be spanked by the ring and then I saw the Hamilton. Obviously I needed another black dialled diver and as the ring purchase had awarded us an in-store voucher, the Hamilton went into the bag as well.
    Obviously I then needed a GMT for holidays. A bit of research on here introduced me to Steinhart and I fancied the 39mm Ocean 500 premium GMT. However on trying it on, even Mrs Beanie agreed it was too small, so the Titanium 500 premium ended up on my wrist. It's nominally too large at 42mm, but for a holiday watch I reckon I can just get away with it.
    The wife's' OP was her "significant birthday" present, chosen by her, which I thought was best, albeit I was expecting her to go for a quartz TAG or Omega.
    The only other piece in the box is my dads old Citizen. I can't yet bring myself to wear it but one day maybe.
    It's all a bit of a random group rather than a considered collection and whilst I do try to wear them all in rotation, I have more love for some than others. I do occasionally have an urge to thin them out, but I'm quite fond of all of them.
    I did have a "significant birthday" of my own earlier this year and have been mulling over the prospect of a Tudor, either the Pelagos or BB58 blue. I'm in no particular rush, which is fortunate as Covid has presented us with more urgent priorities.
    I hope this hasn't been too self-indulgent and thanks for reading.

Master
    I must apologise for my really rather poor phone camera pictures. Looking back at them they do distort the perspective and don't properly represent the size of some of the watches. Must do better!

Absolutely love the orange Land Monster!

Master
    It is good fun, and here are a couple more. It doesn't come out much (came second to the Steinhart today) but works with T-shirt and shorts. When we get some sun that is.

If I decide to move it on, I will let you know.
    Last edited by Beanie; 13th July 2021 at 18:49.

Quote Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
    It is good fun, and here are a couple more. It doesn't come out much (came second to the Steinhart today) but works with T-shirt and shorts. When we get some sun that is.

If I decide to move it on, I will let you know.
    Cool. I got as far as seeing what they might go for on ebay &c - not one did I find. So, something of a rarity, then. I see very few Seikos I really like, but that is one. I suspect, given that rarity and the attached memories, you'd probably regret selling it if you did...

Master
    I'm not sure if it's a JDM model, I've seen an article on Watchuseek so a few have appeared in the USA. Mrs Beanie was going through an ICE watch phase and having stopped a few going off we were walking past a jewellers in Cairns and she saw a particular colour she liked so we went in. I set eyes on the Seiko, we negotiated a good price, and on the wrist it went. I have worn it snorkelling on the Great Barrier Reef and it's accompanied me on a few memorable holidays, so you're right, I probably would have to think hard about moving it on.