closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Cassette to digital

Cassette to digital

Going through a few old boxes and found a few tapes from the 80s plus a Walkman.

New batteries in and it all plays perfectly.

It has some live recordings that I'd like to save on my phone so I can share on What's App.

I could just play the Walkman through a Bluetooth speaker and let my phone record but wondered if there's a better way?

I don't have a separate cassette deck any more nor any kind of recording device other than my phone. Happy to invest a modest sum.

No Nakamichi Dragon recommendations ideally...

TIA

My 80’s professional Walkman still works. Records and everything. My Fisher Mini HiFi still plays my 70’s & 80’s tapes. Though many tapes are snapping now

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

You have a computer I assume? If so, you can use that with Audacity software and you can borrow my Creative labs device if you like. I used it a lot to transfer mini disc recordings to pc to convert to mp3.

^Superb piece of kit, Mick.

If it's the one I'm thinking of weren't they about £300 in the 80s?

A ''cassette to digital'' converter is your answer, ebay maybe your friend though it's possible that a WTB might work.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    This guy will do both sides for £8.50 a tape:

https://www.mr-scan.co.uk/index.html

I'm sure there are other places on line.

Quote Originally Posted by notnowkato View Post
    You have a computer I assume? If so, you can use that with Audacity software and you can borrow my Creative labs device if you like. I used it a lot to transfer mini disc recordings to pc to convert to mp3.
    Thanks NNK, I'll Google that - appreciate the offer. I have a few boxes of old stuff so wouldn't want to ruin any of your kit with my inept tech skills.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    A ''cassette to digital'' converter is your answer, ebay maybe your friend though it's possible that a WTB might work.
    Thanks N2. That's my afternoon sorted then.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    This guy will do both sides for £8.50 a tape:

https://www.mr-scan.co.uk/index.html

I'm sure there are other places on line.
    Great.

Already I'm better equipped than the confusing Googling I did last night.

Master
    A few options I think.

Free is connecting your Walkman to the audio input on your mac/pc though these days they are generally just mic inputs and you may need to play around with Walkman volume (start low) and mic input levels (start low) and juggle them till a reasonable outcome. Though I suspect this would give a mono recording.

This Mac guide might give some pointers https://www.switchingtomac.com/tutor...nput-on-a-mac/

Or spend £20 on a usb phono input and use the Walkman as the source still
    https://www.behringer.com/behringer/...odelCode=P0484

Or do this but buy a reconditioned tape deck convert the tapes and sell it on.

Or on amazon there are some “Walkman” that record directly to a usb stick for about £25 some good reviews some poor but could be worth a shot and return if poor?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cassette-Co.../dp/B076PFJKRJ
    Last edited by Captain Morgan; 13th July 2021 at 10:09.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    Thanks NNK, I'll Google that - appreciate the offer. I have a few boxes of old stuff so wouldn't want to ruin any of your kit with my inept tech skills.
    No danger of harming it, it is similar to the Bheringer device mentioned. I have 2 so you are welcome to borrow it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshiremadmick View Post
    My 80’s professional Walkman still works. Records and everything. My Fisher Mini HiFi still plays my 70’s & 80’s tapes. Though many tapes are snapping now

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Just had mine overhauled, great little machine.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

No danger of harming it, it is similar to the Bheringer device mentioned. I have 2 so you are welcome to borrow it.
    Thanks NNK. OK will shoot you a PM once I've researched all the posts to decide on the easiest best solution bearing in mind most of my tech problems are PICNIC.

Very kind of you.

...most of my tech problems are PICNIC.
    Hadn't come across that one before. Brought a welcome smile to my face. Thank you.

Just had mine overhauled, great little machine.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
    That’s the Beauty !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cassette to digital

I found this in a drawer a few weeks ago, was my pride and joy in the 80’s - curious to know where these can be serviced as mine makes a horrible shrieking when trying to rewind! I think I had the recording version at the same time, might have a dig around - worked in Tottenham Court Road hi-fi shops as a Saturday lad in my youth and they offered healthy discounts

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post

I found this in a drawer a few weeks ago, was my pride and joy in the 80’s - curious to know where these can be serviced as mine makes a horrible shrieking when trying to rewind!

That might be the cassette - I remember that noise very well. Try running the rewind function without a cassette in, if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by petethegeek View Post
    Hadn't come across that one before. Brought a welcome smile to my face. Thank you.
    Me too. I'll be using it now.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    That might be the cassette - I remember that noise very well. Try running the rewind function without a cassette in, if possible.
    It’s definitely the machine, makes the noise when empty - sounds like one of the gear wheels is stripped perhaps

Loved my Walkman too which has unfortunately long gone but still have the tapes, it was this model WM-22, would love another for old times sake..

It’s definitely the machine, makes the noise when empty - sounds like one of the gear wheels is stripped perhaps

That is a common issue and why mine was serviced. The main gear has a metal hub with a plastic outer gear rim which cracks. PM me and I will let you know more.

The spec of that machine is impressive.

I always wondered what amorphous head was.

Sounds like the kind of thing that might improve one's experience.

I believe capstan servo is a cigarette.

The spec of that machine is impressive.

I always wondered what amorphous head was.

Sounds like the kind of thing that might improve one's experience.

I believe capstan servo is a cigarette.
    Haha I know what you mean! I think there was a ‘ budu Khan’ version with fancy Japanese characters splashed across the front (as referenced in a massive attack song of the time). I do remember Dolby c took away most of the hiss but also the treble so stuck with the bog standard Dolby b. The controls have a great feel to them, in fact the whole thing feels more engineered than made, the whole case is metal and everything feels like new even though it had lots of use. Used to attach the line out to a pair of wharfedale active speakers for a bit of Duran Duran!

Beautifully engineered.

Dolby C was a rarity, even on separates in the early 80s IIRC. It did flatten the sound though.

I remember recording one of the first CDs that came out (Dire Straits?) on to a That's metal tape and the quality wasn't that much different from my reasonably high level Technics CD player.

It was streets ahead of the standard Maxell tapes I'd been using. I'm sure it would have sounded even better on your DC2.