closing tag is in template navbar
Time Factors Watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Richard Branson in space!

  1. #1

    Richard Branson in space!

    Looks like a complete success. Have dug out my Speedmaster in celebration.

  2. #2
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    3,343
    Best place for him.

  3. #3
    Iím sure itís all very clever/brave etc, but I donít really understand why Iíd pay thousands to sit in a little plane, go up a long way then come down again. Iím clearly not rich enough or daft enough, it all seems a bit of a pointless exercise (and I love a bit of proper Space travel like the moon landings and the shuttle, Skylab etc but they seemed to have a tangible scientific aim)


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Lincoln
    Posts
    1,848
    Shame he didnít stay there permanently


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Tamworth, Staffordshire
    Posts
    250
    Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Shame he didnít stay there permanently


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My thoughts exactly.

  6. #6
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    The Far East (of England)
    Posts
    2,422
    Ground control to Major Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! Nothing can possibly go wrong......wrong......wrong......!

  7. #7
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Lincoln
    Posts
    1,848
    Lol! Iíll give them one thing though the space plane looks cool as!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Master Kaffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Grindsted, Danmark
    Posts
    1,214
    Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Lol! Iíll give them one thing though the space plane looks cool as!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Looks like a death trap to me. :(

  9. #9
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    swansea uk
    Posts
    2,046
    I dont mind for research or discovery but i draw the line at rich people farting around in space just because they have alot of money

  10. #10
    Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Yorkshire, England
    Posts
    1,417
    Not a lot of love here for Branson and his vanity project. I have to join the throng - a waste of technology just to give a few ultra-rich a brief joy ride.

    And next weekend we have Bezos trying the same stunt!

  11. #11
    Master Christian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,421
    Feel the same about Branson. Odious character.

    Watching him in close up on that camera looked like we were trying trying to send ET home.

  12. #12
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    NW Leics
    Posts
    6,648
    No objection at all to rich people going into space but it seems like more of a high altitude flight than a space mission, to me. As a high altitude flight, it's a staggering accomplishment. Several times higher than an SR-71 or a U2 (though only for a limited time of course). As a space flight, it's not much more than half the distance from Earth achieved by Alan Shepard and Yuri Gagarin more than 60 years ago. Lower than the lowest satellite. About a quarter of the altitude of a Space Shuttle orbit.

  13. #13
    I liked the way the pilots looked like pilots, yet the 'crew' were wearing something stolen from the Jetsons.

    And I'm fairly confident, good old dog Laika actually spent a whole lot longer time in space.

    Sent from my IN2013 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by nickyboyo; 12th July 2021 at 00:24.

  14. #14
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    England and Spain
    Posts
    5,291
    Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    I dont mind for research or discovery but i draw the line at rich people farting around in space just because they have alot of money
    Whatever your personal views on the man, he must have created many well paid jobs for the project and gave them an awful lot of training for the future.

    Like it or not, we need more like him.

  15. #15
    Master
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    south of the river..
    Posts
    1,537
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Whatever your personal views on the man, he must have created many well paid jobs for the project and gave them an awful lot of training for the future.

    Like it or not, we need more like him.
    I take it these well paid jobs have been created in the USA ? I'm in agreement with a few others, wish he'd stayed up there or got lost in space...

  16. #16
    Grand Master Andyg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    24,690
    I wonder what watch he was wearing? A money making opportunity me thinks.

    Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche


  17. #17
    Master sweets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bristol - UK
    Posts
    5,077
    I cannot see a single thing in the news more obscene in terms of brandishing ludicrous wealth at others than riding an overpriced firework to the edges of space for a few minutes of jolly time.
    Both projects a pointless waste of ego and money.
    Bezos' increased profits from Amazon over the pandemic could have vaccinated most of Africa, so schemes like this look even more obscene.*

    The spin-off benefit argument doesn't really ring true here, as the only innovation here is to make low space flight vaguely economic for the ludicrously rich, rather than for anything worthwhile.

    D

    * estimates are that Bezos is over $70Billion richer now than in 2019, and vaccination is roughly $2-4 per dose, depending on who bought from whom.

  18. #18
    Master Onelasttime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Everywhere, yet nowhere...
    Posts
    9,973
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    I cannot see a single thing in the news more obscene in terms of brandishing ludicrous wealth at others than riding an overpriced firework to the edges of space for a few minutes of jolly time.
    Both projects a pointless waste of ego and money.
    Bezos' increased profits from Amazon over the pandemic could have vaccinated most of Africa, so schemes like this look even more obscene.*

    The spin-off benefit argument doesn't really ring true here, as the only innovation here is to make low space flight vaguely economic for the ludicrously rich, rather than for anything worthwhile.

    D

    * estimates are that Bezos is over $70Billion richer now than in 2019, and vaccination is roughly $2-4 per dose, depending on who bought from whom.
    I was just about to say almost exactly this. Spot on

    I heard some ludicrous self-aggrandising notion that they were the new pioneers because one day we'll all have to live in space. ErÖ okaaaaayÖ

    PS. Why is this in Watch Talk?

  19. #19
    I wonder how much extra unnecessary pollution this little trip produced?

  20. #20
    Grand Master MartynJC (UK)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Nr London or Carvoeiro, Portugal
    Posts
    10,449
    Blog Entries
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    PS. Why is this in Watch Talk?
    +1.

    "Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly soĒ. HHGTTG


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information