closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Richard Branson in space!

Richard Branson in space!

Looks like a complete success. Have dug out my Speedmaster in celebration.

Master
    Best place for him.

I’m sure it’s all very clever/brave etc, but I don’t really understand why I’d pay thousands to sit in a little plane, go up a long way then come down again. I’m clearly not rich enough or daft enough, it all seems a bit of a pointless exercise (and I love a bit of proper Space travel like the moon landings and the shuttle, Skylab etc but they seemed to have a tangible scientific aim)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Shame he didn’t stay there permanently

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Shame he didn’t stay there permanently

My thoughts exactly.

Master
    Ground control to Major Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! Nothing can possibly go wrong......wrong......wrong......!

Master
    Lol! I’ll give them one thing though the space plane looks cool as!

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Lol! I’ll give them one thing though the space plane looks cool as!

Looks like a death trap to me. :(

I dont mind for research or discovery but i draw the line at rich people farting around in space just because they have alot of money

Master
    Not a lot of love here for Branson and his vanity project. I have to join the throng - a waste of technology just to give a few ultra-rich a brief joy ride.

And next weekend we have Bezos trying the same stunt!

Feel the same about Branson. Odious character.

Watching him in close up on that camera looked like we were trying trying to send ET home.

Master
    No objection at all to rich people going into space but it seems like more of a high altitude flight than a space mission, to me. As a high altitude flight, it's a staggering accomplishment. Several times higher than an SR-71 or a U2 (though only for a limited time of course). As a space flight, it's not much more than half the distance from Earth achieved by Alan Shepard and Yuri Gagarin more than 60 years ago. Lower than the lowest satellite. About a quarter of the altitude of a Space Shuttle orbit.

I liked the way the pilots looked like pilots, yet the 'crew' were wearing something stolen from the Jetsons.

And I'm fairly confident, good old dog Laika actually spent a whole lot longer time in space.

Sent from my IN2013 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by nickyboyo; 12th July 2021 at 00:24.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    I dont mind for research or discovery but i draw the line at rich people farting around in space just because they have alot of money
    Whatever your personal views on the man, he must have created many well paid jobs for the project and gave them an awful lot of training for the future.

Like it or not, we need more like him.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Whatever your personal views on the man, he must have created many well paid jobs for the project and gave them an awful lot of training for the future.

Like it or not, we need more like him.
    I take it these well paid jobs have been created in the USA ? I'm in agreement with a few others, wish he'd stayed up there or got lost in space...

I wonder what watch he was wearing? A money making opportunity me thinks.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

I cannot see a single thing in the news more obscene in terms of brandishing ludicrous wealth at others than riding an overpriced firework to the edges of space for a few minutes of jolly time.
    Both projects a pointless waste of ego and money.
    Bezos' increased profits from Amazon over the pandemic could have vaccinated most of Africa, so schemes like this look even more obscene.*

The spin-off benefit argument doesn't really ring true here, as the only innovation here is to make low space flight vaguely economic for the ludicrously rich, rather than for anything worthwhile.

D

* estimates are that Bezos is over $70Billion richer now than in 2019, and vaccination is roughly $2-4 per dose, depending on who bought from whom.

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    I cannot see a single thing in the news more obscene in terms of brandishing ludicrous wealth at others than riding an overpriced firework to the edges of space for a few minutes of jolly time.
    Both projects a pointless waste of ego and money.
    Bezos' increased profits from Amazon over the pandemic could have vaccinated most of Africa, so schemes like this look even more obscene.*

The spin-off benefit argument doesn't really ring true here, as the only innovation here is to make low space flight vaguely economic for the ludicrously rich, rather than for anything worthwhile.

D

* estimates are that Bezos is over $70Billion richer now than in 2019, and vaccination is roughly $2-4 per dose, depending on who bought from whom.
    I was just about to say almost exactly this. Spot on

I heard some ludicrous self-aggrandising notion that they were the new pioneers because one day we'll all have to live in space. Er… okaaaaay…

PS. Why is this in Watch Talk?

I wonder how much extra unnecessary pollution this little trip produced?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    PS. Why is this in Watch Talk?
    +1.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG