closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Ideal shoes/inserts for Achilles Tendonitis

Ideal shoes/inserts for Achilles Tendonitis

Thankfully just before I went and bought my pair of hill walking boots (thanks to all for their suggestions), I have just been diagnosed with achilles tendonitis and despite my best effort's I can't seem to shake it off. I have obviously done the RICE regime, anti inflammatory painkillers, gentle exercises as recommended by my GP and I am just about to start physio. In the meantime I'd be interested to hear of anyone who has had this condition and if any there are specific trainers or inserts which may help (or avoid)?
    Last edited by zippy; 11th July 2021 at 19:14.

Master
    I have had it before on both feet. Inserts did very little, but was advised to exercise in a certain way - cannot recall the phrase specifically.

Standing with ties on the edge of a step, raise yourself up to tippy toes, raise one foot, and then lower your heel down to below the level of the step. Repeat lots, and go slow. Took me a few weeks to get there. If too painful, start on the floor & simply lower your foot back to flat.

It is painful, but exercise was better than rest for me, RICE did nothing at all. Good luck.

They gave me steroid injections

I also have Peroneal tendonitis of the two tendons in the side of my foot, all three together are what hold you up, I’ve been having treatment for the last two years, covid has slowed it down, I have physio and shockwave treatment (I wouldn’t recommend that to anyone)
    Last edited by adrianw; 11th July 2021 at 19:12.

As mentioned above, calf raises do help strengthen the calf and stretch the tendon out fully.

I had big issues with it due to running, since I have stopped running and started cycling I have had no problems.

Mine used to creak when I walked and had huge swollen nodules on them but are now totally fine so I hope you are able to recover

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    I have had it before on both feet. Inserts did very little, but was advised to exercise in a certain way - cannot recall the phrase specifically.

Standing with ties on the edge of a step, raise yourself up to tippy toes, raise one foot, and then lower your heel down to below the level of the step. Repeat lots, and go slow. Took me a few weeks to get there. If too painful, start on the floor & simply lower your foot back to flat.

It is painful, but exercise was better than rest for me, RICE did nothing at all. Good luck.
    Do this. Better yet, find a physio and have them talk you though doing this.

Thanks guys, obviously physio and exercises are the way out of this. Thankfully I'll see a physio soon, so that's one small mercy.
    Last edited by zippy; 11th July 2021 at 23:19.

Grand Master
    Achilles tendon problems curtailed my running ambitions, at the age of 26 I was told to give up completely.

Best advice I can give is to do plenty of stretching and strengthening exercises, wear shoes with plenty of cushioning too. I find voltarol gel helps, massage it into the area twice/ day. Massaging the achilles tendon area helps but its quite painful.

Ouch, I suffered with this about 10 years ago, and it’s was very painful.

I was recommended to use Scholl inserts and after about 5 months it was better. I continued to use the inserts for another 5 years.

One bit of advice. Make sure the bedding over your feet is as light as possible. If it’s cold wear socks rather than dumping a duvet or blanket over them.

It will get better, but it does take time.

FYI Its worth searching the forum as it’s a topic that’s been discussed previously.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

I have suffered for a few years now. After 2 partial tears and subsequent thickening of the tendon.
    I stretch every morning in the shower, toes to the wall and push your knee until, it also touches the wall.
    The dropping your heal off a step also helps.
    I avoid inserts apart from in my rugby boots (not that I wear them much now) and with the above it manages the issue, if I spend all day in flat shoes I am in trouble though. A small heal on a shoe of boot also helps me.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the responses. I've just started out doing the calf stretching exercises etc but obviously that will take a bit of time to see the results. One thing I did forget to mention is that I've been using a TENS machine we had lying around, which has definitely helped take the edge off the pain and lessened the tell tale swelling around the achilles, however, I appreciate this does not work with everyone. As for the shockwave therapy, I may give that a miss !!

Giving your own anecdotes, I think I have it easy but it does seems a condition you have to keep on top of and manage.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I picked this up in both legs months ago after taking up running again for a change to the bike,did the rice thing and bought some supports,it was worst first thing on morning after waking.
    Daughters flat mate is studying physiotherapy so she gave me the stretches to do...the best one was to squat down on flat feet an roll forward onto balls of feet,also calf raises helped.

Quite a few good videos online to demonstrate.

It's taking 4 months to get semi normal again so I'm sticking to bikes for now.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    Do this. Better yet, find a physio and have them talk you though doing this.
    This worked for me over many years of running, I can’t remember the details, balancing the Soleus and gastrocnemius muscles I think. I did 3x10 after every run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Linocut View Post
    This worked for me over many years of running, I can’t remember the details, balancing the Soleus and gastrocnemius muscles I think. I did 3x10 after every run.

Mine was triggered commuting to London on foot & longish walks in office shoes, after 20+ years of driving to work.

Oh how I laughed at the people in suits wearing trainers until they got to the office, I changed my view but took me a good few months to get back to normal...well mornings are still a little sore sometimes.

I occasionally have to visit a three day trade exhibition and I wear plain black trainers, all the Chinese guys do it too.

Just to give an update. After a few visits to the physio I was given a few exercises to help strengthen the tendon which I have been following near religiously. Talking of religion, RevO's Norwegian bergen has come in very handy as I've been filling it will heavy books to add a bit of resistance to my exercises ! I have also been used my Tens machine which has helped with the pain

Thankfully it has helped to the point I have taken a few tentative light walks in the hills to test my new boots and so far there has been no relapse. Going forward the tendon strengthening exercises are an absolute must for this condition, however, at least I'm now back to something which equates to normality.
    Last edited by zippy; 13th August 2021 at 20:32.

Good news!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Kind of glad to read this thread.

Both of mine sore first thing in morning and sometimes the tendon under the ball of my ankle.

Started after a lot of hiking in the hills

Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    Kind of glad to read this thread.

Both of mine sore first thing in morning and sometimes the tendon under the ball of my ankle.

Started after a lot of hiking in the hills
    If it is really bothering you then speak to your GP/Physio. The one thing that has surprised me is even after doing a few simple exercises a few times per day is just how quickly my ankle responded. Admittedly at first it was quite painful but that settled down within a week and every week after that I could feel an improvement as my tendon strengthened. Don't get me wrong, I know It's something that will need 'managed' but as stated above, I'm about 80-90% back to what I was.

Master
    Hadn’t seen this thread previously — I had similar problems several years ago, but with added hip issues.

Went to countless physios etc, but found the answer in a muscular neurotherapist.

I was fixed in a few sessions, and haven’t looked back. I still go to him as I started running soon after he left me able to, and it keeps any issues in check.