closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: UPDATED !! Light hearted ethics ebay question. A dilemma!!

Hybrid View

UPDATED !! Light hearted ethics ebay question. A dilemma!!

Just for interest, but I am interested.....

I listed a large piece of furniture for sale on ebay. It was Collect in person only.
    My postal town **and village** were shown. I happen to know that ebay also locates by postcode, but it was not displayed. (their privacy policy)

Someone won the auction. She defeated 3 other bidders. She paid.
    Over 2 weeks she has faffed around with coming to get it.

She now says "oh you are in TownA, I thought you were in TownA near me. I can't get to you. Its all off"

Obviously the problem is that there are 4 TownA's in the UK with the same name. although only 1 village name, no duplicates for village, and the village was displayed on screen. And ebay locates by postcode. She thought she had a 30 min drive. It is a 4 hour drive.

She wants a full refund.

Thoughts......

What would you do if it was £20?
    What would you do if it was £520?

I haven't worked out what to do
    Last edited by The Doc; 1st August 2021 at 13:02.

I don’t see this as an ethics problem. I see this as a practical problem. If you deny the refund, what will she do? I’d guess she will claim to ebay that the item was not as described or something similar and she’ll get her refund through ebay. Save a lot of aggro to just refund her and place it under the ”life’s too short” umbrella.

Master
    It would rankle me that she’s messed me around, don’t think it really matters ref the amount.

Can you send a 2nd chance offer to the previous bidders?

If not, annoying as it maybe you’re just better off refunding rather than spending time going back and forth, and no doubt eBay siding with the buyer.

Give her the refund, chalk it up to experience and relist it showing the village, county and postcode in the listing.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Just another reason why I won't sell on ebay, life is too short to have too deal with some of the ebay users, total plonkers.

Best to just refund and move on. It happens from time to time with large objects that are collection only.

What if you found out the cost to get a van courier to deliver it and suggested to her that you split the cost?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    A gesture of goodwill offer £470 back or nothing.

Why did it her 2 weeks to realise you were 4 hours away not 30 minutes?

Personally I'd just refund her, chalk it down to stupidity and re-list with your postcode area in the description.

Cheers,
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Omegary View Post
    Why did it her 2 weeks to realise you were 4 hours away not 30 minutes?

Personally I'd just refund her, chalk it down to stupidity and re-list with your postcode area in the description.

Cheers,
    Gary
    This.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Just to let you know you're under no legal obligation to refund, and ebay won't side with the buyer on this occasion, "item being in a different location to what I thought" is not a genuine reason, i know this as I have also had this before.
    You basically have 3 choices, sit on the money and let them sort out collection, offer to go half way with delivery, or refund and offer it to the next highest bidder or relist.

Craftsman
    Irrespective of the value, refund the item and get it relisted.

As much as it’s a pain, and they have messed you around, cancel it and forget about it. Are you really going to insist someone comes to pick it up from you when they are saying they can’t? sounds like that would be a pretty uncomfortable experience

Light hearted ethics ebay question. A dilemma!!

I had a similar experience. Assuming she paid via eBay then I think you need to get her to request to cancel the purchase via her eBay account. This ensures you won’t be charged the selling fees - as long as you relist and sell it successfully again through eBay.

Refund a d put in your advert rough idea of where you are - ie junction 6 m6 or something

Also put “pleaseread” in the title

A little explanation in the relist description is handy

If she wants to arrange a courier what’s the issue

I’ve let folk do that before

Depends what it’s worth
    Plus you have it as collection so the buyer has to zap to say they picked it up now I believe?

Master
    Some years ago my friend sold a vintage dresser on eBay. Very honest description, needed repair, over 100 years old. Stated buyer collects. Winning bidder arranged their own man with a van to collect.
    Within days he received negative feedback as it arrived smashed to pieces. He had a nightmare sorting it out.
    Some buyers won’t listen to anything you say and want
    It all their own way.

Amusingly three times I've had folk drive 400 mile round trips to buy (1) an Ikea bookcase, (2) a Flymo lawnmower, and (3) a couple of ubiquitous framed prints.
    All would have paid less had they purchased new equivalents locally. I swear some people just enjoy the road trip

Craftsman
    I had the same last year. My kids had outgrown their slide and I just wanted to give it to someone who would use it. Listed it for 99p with clear instructions - collection only and the post code. First buyer asked me to post it, the second just ignored me and the third backed out when they 'realised' I was halfway around the country from them! Fourth time lucky...