closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Converting a garage - advice..

Converting a garage - advice..

Morning All..

Ok we have a double garage integrated into the house so pedestrian access is via door from kitchen…

Now then we are thinking of increasing living space by converting one of the garages into a office/ study which could also be used as a bedroom if required or possibly even add a small bathroom in it as luckily soil stack and hot and cold pipes are already in there…

So the inevitable question is do i require PP or is it PD ?

The foot print would be no bigger just repurposing of internal space and it would not form a separate dwelling..

Not a massive job as bricking up where up and over door was incl window the rest is plasterboard insulation etc…

Welcome any and all assistance, clearly i dont want to just crack on unless it’s acceptable to do so under PD…

Thanks…

Change of use will require planning permission but it should be just a formality and filling an online form in. Building Regs will probably also be required.

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Change of use will require planning permission but it should be just a formality and filling an online form in. Building Regs will probably also be required.
    Thanks Reggie…

I guess “belt and braces” …would be to go through the full process and use an architect?…

From a previous (similar) thread, it might be worth checking your deeds for restrictive covenants about converting the garage. ISTR that some new build estates can forbid it due to providing sufficient parking spaces etc.

Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post
    Thanks Reggie…

I guess “belt and braces” …would be to go through the full process and use an architect?…
    I'm not sure you'd need the services of an architect. Fill in the forms online with your local council and pay them the stated fees.

Blog Entries
    Isn’t it just PD?

I’m having a loft conversion and extension being done under PD and am also stealing part of a large garage to create a cold larder…

I had the building inspector round and he didn’t mention anything planning permission being required for it?

There biggest concerns will about where you have your firebreak and you’ll also need a step down into you garage…

Thanks guys

Bravo- house is set in 1/4 acre with 7-8 car parking spaces to front private gated path and other half of garage will remain.. could not find any restrictive covenants (built 1986 ish)..but will re-read

Reggie --agree would much prefer to do on my own so will thrash through online and I have a decent builder (building regs)

Wolfie - there is a step down into garage probably 200mm +....was not aware a requirement - so thanks for heads up...will read up on firebreak currently there is a bedroom above said garage so i would have thought it was constructed with that in mind ?

again thanks to all
    T

Blog Entries
    Also be prepared for a Council tax increase
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    Also be prepared for a Council tax increase
    Think an increase on change of band can only apply when a sale takes place.

Don’t convert it. Buy a classic car to fill the space!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    got the T-shirt...several of them

Mart - Council tax = really! already battered and yep thought that triggered by a sale ?

================================================== =====
    The law, as it currently stands, states that any alterations or extensions will not affect the council tax valuation band until the property is sold. This means that for as long as you stay in the property, you can not expect any increases due to your extension or conservatory project
    Last edited by TKH; 11th July 2021 at 17:17.

Blog Entries
    got the T-shirt...several of them

Mart - Council tax = really! already battered and yep thought that triggered by a sale ?

The law, as it currently stands, states that any alterations or extensions will not affect the council tax valuation band until the property is sold. This means that for as long as you stay in the property, you can not expect any increases due to your extension or conservatory project
    Just chucked it in as another part of the checklist
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    Just chucked it in as another part of the checklist

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    (or an MX-5)

Wolfie - there is a step down into garage probably 200mm +....was not aware a requirement - so thanks for heads up...will read up on firebreak currently there is a bedroom above said garage so i would have thought it was constructed with that in mind ?
    Isn't the idea that it stops petrol or other flammable liquids from running into the house?

I believe the door between garage and house should be 30 minute fire door, have intumescent strips, auto- closer and fire door hinges.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Isn't the idea that it stops petrol or other flammable liquids from running into the house?

I believe the door between garage and house should be 30 minute fire door, have intumescent strips, auto- closer and fire door hinges.
    ...and egress windows should the fire occur elsewhere in the house.

Master
    Some very good PD videos on youtube, can,cant,how big etc

Craftsman
    When we converted our garage ca 5 years ago, we were told PP was not required. Only building regs - which we did.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post

Correct…. It’d have be some mighty spillage! Fire Regs have been beefed up a fair amount…. As I’m now 3 floors I had a choice of a commercial fire alarm system or some big changes to my beautiful old 4 panel pine doors and the complete removal of a glazed one…

Ive got a full commercial fire alarm system going in!