closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: BMW Z4

Master

BMW Z4

Has anyone on here owned/owns the previous generation Z4? At least I think it’s the previous generation. I’ve included a photo off the web to show the model I’m interested in.

I tried a search but it wouldn’t let me as BMW Z4 is too short apparently.
    I really fancied an S2000 being a Honda fan but the price of those have gone through the roof.
    I’ve never been sold on the Boxter and for the money I want to spend (12K ish), I’d have to get an older car anyway.
    The MX5 again, has never really appealed to me, nor the TT convertible or the Merc SLK.
    I’m not after razor sharp handling, I’d just like a good looking convertible with a little bit of poke and the added bonus with the Z4 is the hard top for better security.
    So I’m hoping someone on here owns one or has owned one for some real world experience.

Cheers.

Master
    My wife had this, which replaced her previous generation Z4, of which we have had 3 including an M.

This is the E89 version, no where near as sporty as the previous one but immensely more comfortable for longer journeys & is a nice place to be.

She went for the 3.0 as wanted 6 cylinders again. It’s brisk but never feels overly quick. She preferred her older car for how it drove, these ones are heavy with the metal roof.

Roof works well but does swallow up available boot space. I always had a fear the motors making the roof work would fail, and the price would be eye watering I imagine.

19” wheels look great on the car, and as all BMWs drives so much better with RFTs removed and a return to standard tyres.

If you can do the 35si go for it, on paper it’s got the pace of the Z4M so has a nice turn of pace when required. There is a great abs friendly U.K. owners club with loads of info and advice.

As mentioned above, ah missed the feeling of it being sporty, so we traded hers & my Z4M to get her into a Boxster. Gratuitous photo of exchange day!

Master
    I think I do well Matt consolidating two watches in to one but you do it with cars, very impressive and all lovely cars. I’ve only had the E85 3 litre petrol but absolutely loved the way it drove and that 6 cylinder purr.
    I’m sure someone sold a silver hard top version on TZ not so long ago for what seemed a bargain price but I wasn’t in a position to buy.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat7 View Post
    I think I do well Matt consolidating two watches in to one but you do it with cars, very impressive and all lovely cars. I’ve only had the E85 3 litre petrol but absolutely loved the way it drove and that 6 cylinder purr.
    I’m sure someone sold a silver hard top version on TZ not so long ago for what seemed a bargain price but I wasn’t in a position to buy.
    Haha I was doing 500miles a year in the M & knew she fell in love with it on the test drive. I was working out the trade ins ahead of her return so it was a done deal when she got back. Smile on her face was worth it all, so miss the old school feel of the M though.

The 6cyl engines BMW used are just lovely across both E85 & E89, my wife did initially try the 2.3 turbo 4cyl model which was similar output to the straight 6 but found the experience lacking; even if it required fewer revs / effort to get the most out of it.

Lots of stories about the 19” alloys cracking, we were lucky in our ownership and did not suffer any, however that may have been due to removing the RFT.

OP also look closely at the bonnet as it’s a right pain the get it aligned if it’s out. Someone nudged my wife’s bumper & it pushed the bonnet out slightly. I failed to resolve it, my usual body shop failed to get it properly aligned & I ended up taking it to the place BMW used to get them to sort it in the end. So many shut lines and curves to align properly.

I drive is good in this version of the car, I’d say it was a must, as with parking sensors around. The front of the car is more of a guessing game as it’s all bonnet & you’re sitting close to the rear wheels.

If you can get auto dimming door mirrors, you also get the dipping on reverse pax door mirror which I always like to have.

... ...
    Last edited by Jon Kenney; 14th July 2021 at 00:18.

Master
    Blog Entries
    My wife had two. They aren't the last word in sportiness, but good looking and a comfortable, supple ride.

The first one's roof mechanism jammed when I had lowered the roof one day - fortunately the BMW dealership sorted it the following day under warranty. The second one once failed to start after being driven out of the garage, washed and driven back into the garage. According to the BMW dealership it was my fault as I should have taken it for a run instead of putting it straight back in the garage. I couldn't wait to get rid!

Her cars before these included an S2000 - a beautiful, modern classic and a better ownership experience as far as I was concerned.

BMW Z4

I had an E89 Z4 23Si. It was a cracking GT car, not really a sports car. The Sport button stiffened the dampers which ruined the ride on all but the smoothest of roads. I initially tested a 3 litre N/A, but after driving the 2.5 litre, badged Z23, as BMW run the 2.5 in a lower state of tune, I settled for this. After a short while I felt it lacked a little oomph, I had it Stage 1 tuned which took power up to 228bhp; a useful increase, but it ironed out a little flat spot and raised the rev limiter which allowed the glorious straight 6 to really sing with its turbine like smoothness. A great car which I could happily own again.

Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    I had an E89 Z4 23Si. It was a cracking GT car, not really a sports car. The Sport button stiffened the dampers which ruined the ride on all but the smoothest of roads. I initially tested a 3 litre N/A, but after driving the 2.5 litre, badged Z23, as BMW run the 2.5 in a lower state of tune, I settled for this. After a short while I felt it lacked a little oomph, I had it Stage 1 tuned which took power up to 228bhp; a useful increase, but it ironed out a little flat spot and raised the rev limiter which allowed the glorious straight 6 to really sing with its turbine like smoothness. A great car which I could happily own again.

Knew I had some pics somewhere.

Master
    A Z4 when you wanted an S2000?

Your budget will get a perfectly nice S2000 and other than maintenance costs (which are modest) you'll probably never loose a penny.

Alternatively foresake a cool classic sports car for a highly competent and comfortable GT which will keep depreciating and probably need more maintenance as the years pass.

I am biased having owned my S2000 from new for over 19 years. Worth more than it was 10 years ago and continuing to go up. I love it every time I drive it (nowdays as a second car).

OP - I have at times toyed with switching to a Z4 or Boxster, but they're just not quite an S2000. Maybe take your time, enjoy the chase and get what you really want.

As an aside the other week I was driving along and a kid by the side of the road shouted at his mates "Is that an S2000?" It reminded me of the early days of ownership, when I was regularly approached by Fast & Furious fans.

You'll find this thread interesting, if you haven't already read it. https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...atives-to-a-Z4

Never owned or even driven one, but I think it's a great looking car.

I looked one over early this year, while getting tyres fitted.

I'd definitely look into one if I was in the market for a 2 seater.

I prefer front engined cars to mid, personally.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    I sold my S2000 10yrs ago & could not buy it back for close to what it sold for. Valid flag in that the E89 Z4 is a long way from one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ASW1 View Post
    A Z4 when you wanted an S2000?

Your budget will get a perfectly nice S2000 and other than maintenance costs (which are modest) you'll probably never loose a penny.

Alternatively foresake a cool classic sports car for a highly competent and comfortable GT which will keep depreciating and probably need more maintenance as the years pass.

I am biased having owned my S2000 from new for over 19 years. Worth more than it was 10 years ago and continuing to go up. I love it every time I drive it (nowdays as a second car).

OP - I have at times toyed with switching to a Z4 or Boxster, but they're just not quite an S2000. Maybe take your time, enjoy the chase and get what you really want.

As an aside the other week I was driving along and a kid by the side of the road shouted at his mates "Is that an S2000?" It reminded me of the early days of ownership, when I was regularly approached by Fast & Furious fans.

You'll find this thread interesting, if you haven't already read it. https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...atives-to-a-Z4
    Truly an S2000 would be my first choice. I’ve owned three NSX’s and I love the VTEC when it kicks in.
    My problem is, I don’t have the cash to buy the car privately so it will have to be financed through a garage and 12K is the starting point of these cars these days. I don’t want a cat C/D and they are around the 9-10K. 12K from a garage is going to be a car that’s long in the tooth. Low mileage examples are fetching 20K+ now.

Master
    I’d be looking at an E85 Z4 based on that, it is really so much more fun to drive compared to the E89 version

My wife wished she’d kept the 2.5si E85 vs the E89, was so much more driving fun.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    I’d be looking at an E85 Z4 based on that, it is really so much more fun to drive compared to the E89 version

My wife wished she’d kept the 2.5si E85 vs the E89, was so much more driving fun.
    In all honesty I’m not really a big fan of that shape. I think the next generation is a much nicer looking car.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Truly an S2000 would be my first choice. I’ve owned three NSX’s and I love the VTEC when it kicks in.
    My problem is, I don’t have the cash to buy the car privately so it will have to be financed through a garage and 12K is the starting point of these cars these days. I don’t want a cat C/D and they are around the 9-10K. 12K from a garage is going to be a car that’s long in the tooth. Low mileage examples are fetching 20K+ now.
    Ah NSX, fun and in so many ways understated and very useable.

If you're financing then maybe look at a loan and then choose the best you can. I would say that mileage is secondary to condition and lack of molestation. I would worry about a low mileage. My car is always better when it is used regularly.

Why? Plenty of car loans advertised by Banks, etc.

If you really want one car, why buy another because of financial considerations?

OK, I can't afford a Ferrari F40, so I have a Golf, but I wouldn't buy a Nissan Cashcow, just because they had a better finance deal...

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    I had a 35i M Sport and it was fantastic. Never missed a beat. It was fast, comfortable, handled well (understeer was quite obvious but dialed it out with a good geometry set up) and the N54 is a great sounding engine. I regretted selling it and whilst it's a little dated now, if you get a 2013 onwards model it should have the NBT iDrive system. Go for it, either 35i or 35is.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Why? Plenty of car loans advertised by Banks, etc.

If you really want one car, why buy another because of financial considerations?

OK, I can't afford a Ferrari F40, so I have a Golf, but I wouldn't buy a Nissan Cashcow, just because they had a better finance deal...

M
    Ok, fair enough. I guess I didn’t explain myself properly. 12K is a lot of money to me, it’s more than I’m comfortable spending on a car in a private sale, so I would rather buy from a dealership to have a little protection and a little bit of warranty.
    Under these circumstances, I wouldn’t be getting the S2000 I’d like to get for the budget I have.

Ok, fair enough. I guess I didn’t explain myself properly. 12K is a lot of money to me, it’s more than I’m comfortable spending on a car in a private sale, so I would rather buy from a dealership to have a little protection and a little bit of warranty.
    Under these circumstances, I wouldn’t be getting the S2000 I’d like to get for the budget I have.
    I hear what you're saying but you'll end up with a 10 grand car for your 12 grand.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    I hear what you're saying but you'll end up with a 10 grand car for your 12 grand.
    Always the case when you buy from a dealers.

Master
    Have done 50,000 miles in my E89 35iS. Classic N54 straight-6, twin-turbo 3-litre. Dual clutch transmission and adaptive suspension. 340bhp with 'overboost' available to raise the torque to 500Nm for 8 seconds. Even has launch control.

A good car.

Fewer than 435 in the UK.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Have done 50,000 miles in my E89 35iS. Classic N54 straight-6, twin-turbo 3-litre. Dual clutch transmission and adaptive suspension. 340bhp with 'overboost' available to raise the torque to 500Nm for 8 seconds. Even has launch control.

A good car.

Fewer than 435 in the UK.
    This is the spec if you can find it - no idea on the second hand market though, may be too high vs budget.

Never sounded as good as the S54 engine though ;)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    This is the spec if you can find it - no idea on the second hand market though, may be too high vs budget.

Never sounded as good as the S54 engine though ;)
    Yep, just been looking and they are way beyond my budget.