closing tag is in template navbar
Time Factors Watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 29 of 29

Thread: Gas bbq recommendation.

  1. #1
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,537

    Gas bbq recommendation.

    Never bought one before and want to make sure I donít make any schoolboy errors. What brands should I be looking at? Any features that are a must have?

    Stu

  2. #2
    Master JC180's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    2,569
    If you have the budget look no further than Webber, its a one purchase for a lifetime brand they are that good.

  3. #3
    Grand Master Dave+63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    13,276
    We have an Outback and in my opinion, JC180 is absolutely spot on!

    Ours looks ok and works ok(ish - only one sparker works but a tube along the back fills with gas and will start the others) but itís definitely cheap in comparison to a Weber.

    When this one packs up (and it will), itíll be a Weber I buy next.

  4. #4
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    5,656
    Love my Webber Q

  5. #5
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    901
    We got a Weber genesis a couple of years ago to replace an outback one which literally disintegrated despite being under a cover for most of its life. The Weber is so much better, definitely worth the money.
    Friends of mine have a Weber spirit and they would probably say something different however as even with the lid on they get huge flare ups where literally everything on it goes up in flames. This is despite de-greasing it regularly, so I donít know whatís going on there.


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  6. #6
    Master JC180's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    2,569
    Have a Weber Q as well as a Genesis 410 and the Q cools steak to perfection in minutes despite it being tiny and using camping gas canisters. Sits in the boot and ready to cook in minutes. The Genesis cooked for 25 people last night in about 20 mins. Sausages burgers steak and chicken. Incredible machine.

  7. #7
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,537
    Thanks folks? Is this a decent one? Also, what do people use the side burners for and are they a worthwhile addition?

    https://www.johnlewis.com/weber-spir...ver/p239474666
    Last edited by Stuno1; 9th July 2021 at 19:27.

  8. #8
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    5,917
    A 3 burner Weber is hard to beat

  9. #9
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,537
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    A 3 burner Weber is hard to beat
    Just ordered the one in the link above. Thanks for the help folks.

  10. #10
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,380
    Blog Entries
    5
    Weber Q.


    Edit:
    Late to the party again!!
    Good choice though.

  11. #11
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    SE UK
    Posts
    650
    This.
    Not sure I wanted a gas BBQ - bought a Weber Q3200 - now wouldn't be without it.
    Meat tastes so good with lid down cooking!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Weber Q.


    Edit:
    Late to the party again!!
    Good choice though.

  12. #12
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    4,447
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    Just ordered the one in the link above. Thanks for the help folks.
    You wonít be disappointed, I had the previous generation for about 15yrs & just had a genesis to replace it. Great grills.

    Remember to keep the lid down, the difference in flavour vs lid open is huge. I do find the new grills gather much more fat in the drip tray vs the older designs, so guessing more efficient - just keep an eye on it, as seen a few friends have drip tray fires.

  13. #13
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,537
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    You wonít be disappointed, I had the previous generation for about 15yrs & just had a genesis to replace it. Great grills.

    Remember to keep the lid down, the difference in flavour vs lid open is huge. I do find the new grills gather much more fat in the drip tray vs the older designs, so guessing more efficient - just keep an eye on it, as seen a few friends have drip tray fires.
    Ah ok. Thanks for the advice. What are the flavour bars?

  14. #14
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    5,917
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    Ah ok. Thanks for the advice. What are the flavour bars?
    Flavour bars collect the drippings from previous cooks and provide flavour going forward as the fat is vaporised. Thatís my understanding anyway.
    Last edited by demonloop; 9th July 2021 at 21:47.

  15. #15
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,537
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    Flavour bars collect the drippings from previous cooks and provide flavour going forward as the fat is vaporised. Thatís my understanding anyway.
    Not going to lie that sounds pretty grim 😂

  16. #16
    I went for a Napoleon last year and I am really pleased with it.

    They come with an infrared side burner which has been excellent. It heats up very quickly and gets very hot which makes it ideal to sear your steaks etc.. before finishing them on indirect heat on the main grill.

    If nothing else have a look into the infrared burners, wouldnít be without one now.

    Cheers

    Ross

  17. #17
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    4,447
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    Not going to lie that sounds pretty grim ūüėā
    More of they help the fat to burn & smoke, similar to charcoal would do. At the end of any cook, I let it burn ok full heat, lid down for about 10-15mins & brush the grill part way through to clean any carbon. Nothing can survive that temp, so just relax.

    Once in a while I rub the flavour bars down, but itís usually just pure carbon by that stage. Nothing to worry about there. If they are not stainless, the will probably last a few seasons and then replace with stainless ones, my replacement ones are 10+hrs old.

    I love my egg & charcoal grills, but the has is just so easy for spur of the moment bbq without smelling after. You can also do indirect etc. Have a look at amazingribs website, taught me loads about 15yrs ago and a great reference for starting out.

  18. #18
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,537
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    More of they help the fat to burn & smoke, similar to charcoal would do. At the end of any cook, I let it burn ok full heat, lid down for about 10-15mins & brush the grill part way through to clean any carbon. Nothing can survive that temp, so just relax.

    Once in a while I rub the flavour bars down, but itís usually just pure carbon by that stage. Nothing to worry about there. If they are not stainless, the will probably last a few seasons and then replace with stainless ones, my replacement ones are 10+hrs old.

    I love my egg & charcoal grills, but the has is just so easy for spur of the moment bbq without smelling after. You can also do indirect etc. Have a look at amazingribs website, taught me loads about 15yrs ago and a great reference for starting out.
    Cheers Iíll have a look.

  19. #19
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Winchester
    Posts
    1,670
    I've had my Weber Q200 for about 15 years now . It's so well built that I clean it from time to time with a pressure washer, it's great for removing build up on the grates and main body, just ensure you don't hit the actual burner pipes and get water in through the jet holes.

  20. #20
    Grand Master wileeeeeey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    11,037
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    Thanks folks? Is this a decent one? Also, what do people use the side burners for and are they a worthwhile addition?

    https://www.johnlewis.com/weber-spir...ver/p239474666
    I'm looking at that now. Have you used it yet? Any thoughts? Seem to only be a couple on JL which is that, one for about 750 and another for 1.5k.

    This is the one I'm comparing your one to
    https://www.johnlewis.com/weber-spir...are=jlappdroid

    My father in law is trying to bully me into the 1.5k model but I know if I get that one every BBQ will be at ours and I 100% don't want that to happen! I really don't think the extra burner and being able to fry an egg or onions on the side is worth twice the price.

  21. #21
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    1,273
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    Just ordered the one in the link above. Thanks for the help folks.
    Did you manage to get a new 13kg gas cylinder OK? I hear there was a shortage of new ones for a while

  22. #22
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,537
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I'm looking at that now. Have you used it yet? Any thoughts? Seem to only be a couple on JL which is that, one for about 750 and another for 1.5k.

    This is the one I'm comparing your one to
    https://www.johnlewis.com/weber-spir...are=jlappdroid

    My father in law is trying to bully me into the 1.5k model but I know if I get that one every BBQ will be at ours and I 100% don't want that to happen! I really don't think the extra burner and being able to fry an egg or onions on the side is worth twice the price.
    Everything you just said applied to my search! The BBQ took 1:30 ish to assemble and doing that helps you appreciate how well it is made and I can understand why people say they last so long. On going cleaning also looks very easy and every part can be replaced so easy to repair if something does go wrong. We have used it and it’s as easy to use as any gas bbq I imagine. More than big enough for our needs and the shelves are really useful.

    Is it £200 extra for the storage section? Looks very similar other than that.
    Last edited by Stuno1; 17th July 2021 at 14:29.

  23. #23
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,537
    Quote Originally Posted by stiglet View Post
    Did you manage to get a new 13kg gas cylinder OK? I hear there was a shortage of new ones for a while
    I eded up replacing my 5kg one I use for my pizza oven. Iíll get 13kg next time. We have a fair few outlets for them here in Chelmsford and my neighbour has never had issues getting a 13kg one.

  24. #24
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    4,447
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I'm looking at that now. Have you used it yet? Any thoughts? Seem to only be a couple on JL which is that, one for about 750 and another for 1.5k.

    This is the one I'm comparing your one to
    https://www.johnlewis.com/weber-spir...are=jlappdroid

    My father in law is trying to bully me into the 1.5k model but I know if I get that one every BBQ will be at ours and I 100% don't want that to happen! I really don't think the extra burner and being able to fry an egg or onions on the side is worth twice the price.
    Iíve got the 3 burner version of the 1.5k one & it really is a great bit of kit. More substantial all over vs the spirit, but then again the genesis is twice the price.

    If you do go the Genesis route, get the one with the doors on the cabinet. The open one is cheaper but you sit staring at the grease collection tray which is not a great view.

    Have a look at wowbbq who often have some great discounts.

  25. #25
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    4,447
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    I eded up replacing my 5kg one I use for my pizza oven. Iíll get 13kg next time. We have a fair few outlets for them here in Chelmsford and my neighbour has never had issues getting a 13kg one.
    Getting a refill is easy, starting a new contract is the problem as they donít have (or didnít have) enough canisters for new people.

    Nightmare if youíve just bought a pizza oven or bbq. I have a 2 x 13kg, one for the bbq and one for the Ooni; saves me carrying it back & forth, plus always have a back up available - I learnt the hard way years back as the gas spluttered before going out. This was before they had the gauges on to tell you how much they contain...always FULL and then drops rapidly, not the best device.

  26. #26
    Grand Master wileeeeeey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    11,037
    £105 for the BBQ cover. No wonder the ones with the free covers are the best sellers.

    So probably just under £900 all in for the Sprit E315 and it's raining all next weekend and the Friday after according to BBC.

    Seems a bit late in the day to be spending £900 and I might just keep an eye on deals over winter/spring instead.

  27. #27
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    1,273
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Getting a refill is easy, starting a new contract is the problem as they don’t have (or didn’t have) enough canisters for new people..
    Indeed so - hence my query. When my canister ran out recently the local supplier had no refills in stock but were getting a delivery the next day. I enquired about getting a second as a spare and was told that they were prohibited by Calor from entering into any new contracts

    I note that there seems to be a good supply of empty ones on Gumtree ... at a price! I thought ownership always remained with the supplier but that doesn't seem to bother the sellers

  28. #28
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    901
    Quote Originally Posted by stiglet View Post
    Indeed so - hence my query. When my canister ran out recently the local supplier had no refills in stock but were getting a delivery the next day. I enquired about getting a second as a spare and was told that they were prohibited by Calor from entering into any new contracts

    I note that there seems to be a good supply of empty ones on Gumtree ... at a price! I thought ownership always remained with the supplier but that doesn't seem to bother the sellers
    I had made do with just one bottle until now but decided to get a second this year. Calor didnít have any availability for new contracts but I was able to get an 11kg bottle from flogas


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  29. #29
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    4,447
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    £105 for the BBQ cover. No wonder the ones with the free covers are the best sellers.

    So probably just under £900 all in for the Sprit E315 and it's raining all next weekend and the Friday after according to BBC.

    Seems a bit late in the day to be spending £900 and I might just keep an eye on deals over winter/spring instead.
    I bought this for my bbq, had one for 4 years and replaced it this year. Put it on backwards so the brand it hidden & job done.

    Grillman Premium BBQ Grill,... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0765BJV...p_mob_ap_share

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information