closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spacious suv for kids and prams!

Craftsman

Spacious suv for kids and prams!

Hi all I’m looking to change my Audi q3 for something a little bigger ( not massive as the wife will struggle parking !) only had the q3 for 18months but since having a second child, have realised it’s way too small, any recommendations? Thanks all

P.s we’re not ruling out a 3rd child in future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is this a purchase or contract lease?

Budget?

Lots of choice I should think...
    So clever my foot fell off.

Discovery 4. Best family car we’ve ever had (we’re on our second…).

We've got a Tiguan and it's been fantastic. They do a slightly bigger version with 7 seats as well

Master
    Blog Entries
    XC90 would give you all the space you need - albeit in a rather large fashion.
    Have a look at the XC60 though. Should be spot on for your needs.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Honda CRV hybrid is a great car. Plenty of space, plenty quick enough for normal driving, plenty of safety gear, very reliable and economical - mine is currently averaging just over 50mpg. Not the flashiest of SUVs but there's a reason why Honda sell so many.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    XC90 would give you all the space you need - albeit in a rather large fashion.
    Have a look at the XC60 though. Should be spot on for your needs.
    XC90 is nearly as big as a Transit!

Volvos are nicely stylish too, dynamics are irrelevant on this class of car - XC60 sounds a good choice.

OP, have you considered an estate car? Skoda Superb is vast.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy4389 View Post
    Hi all I’m looking to change my Audi q3 for something a little bigger ( not massive as the wife will struggle parking !) only had the q3 for 18months but since having a second child, have realised it’s way too small, any recommendations? Thanks all

P.s we’re not ruling out a 3rd child in future.

If you are happy with the Audi - why not try a Q5? Or cars in the same class - X3, GLC, XC60.. all good space whilst still being just the right size for city parking.

Craftsman
    Thanks for all the reply’s guys. I was tempted to upsize to the q5 but wondering how much bigger they are if anyone has one? Boot wise the q3 is poor. Or would the Volvo be a better choice. I think I will go have a look at the Volvo and the q5 over the weekend

Thanks for all the reply’s guys. I was tempted to upsize to the q5 but wondering how much bigger they are if anyone has one? Boot wise the q3 is poor. Or would the Volvo be a better choice. I think I will go have a look at the Volvo and the q5 over the weekend

Q5 is much better for a family, or an BMW X1/X3/Volvo X40/60. I once looked at Q3 but the boot was, as you've found, too small. We went for an X1 instead which is surprisingly practical for small SUV. Rear seat recline and can move forward, and the boot has additional storage below the deck and overall has been big enough for everything we've needed to carry. As the kids are getting larger I'll be looking at Q5 and X3 next.

Whilst suggestions of Discovery's and XC90 are a good shout, they're a lot bigger car in terms of size and running cost to what you're currently driving.

We have an old shape (14 plate) xc60 and it's been fantastic for our two kids. Fabrics and leather all come up well after the inevitable trashing the kids give them and the car drives superbly. if i was buying new i'd be very tempted by a new shape.

My wife went from a fiat 500 to that, she was initially worried about the size of it (we live 3 miles from the centre of glasgow and park on the street) but she's an absolute superstar at parking it now.

I've also realised you can never have too much space - the little buggers take so much stuff. We were looking at larger cars but now just have a towbar bike carrier and a mahousive roofbox instead.

If size(cargo capacity) is the issue with the flexibility to add more, then you really need to look at an estate or a 'touring' style.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    XC90 is nearly as big as a Transit!

Volvos are nicely stylish too, dynamics are irrelevant on this class of car - XC60 sounds a good choice.

OP, have you considered an estate car? Skoda Superb is vast.

M
    We have a GLC and we're looking at estates next. We're in London so the Superb is too big (as is the V90, 5 series, E class etc).

The current c class and 3 series estates look good. 28-30k for a high spec nearly new one or 35-40k for the same car in 4x4 format with the GLC or X3.

Wife isn't keen, thinks they look like hearses, but her sister has a V60 estate and loves it.

Master
    A friend just picked up a Superb Estate and can fit a family of 5 in it comfortably

My wife won't consider an estate - says they look horrid.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    We have a GLC and we're looking at estates next. We're in London so the Superb is too big (as is the V90, 5 series, E class etc).

The current c class and 3 series estates look good. 28-30k for a high spec nearly new one or 35-40k for the same car in 4x4 format with the GLC or X3.

Wife isn't keen, thinks they look like hearses, but her sister has a V60 estate and loves it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazydonkey View Post
    Same here but I'm working on it, chipping away. If you get M Sport or AMG Line and stay away from black they're a bit better, but still not ideal.

Master
    We've just been through this and switched from a Q3 to an F-Pace

A note on the Q3. They have 2 boot options, 1 is a sunken boot which we had which gave it a huge amount of space, but no spare wheel and was a rare option. The Q5 has the same option if you can find one.

Master
    Q4.
    Lots more internal space and not that much bigger on the outside.
    Good range, relatively cheap to run. Lots of tech.

Q5 will do what you need

I’m more X5

The X2 looks very interesting and looks cheap on personal lease - a good looking family suv too

Does it have to be an SUV? The Skoda Superb is a fantastic family car. Loads of space inside and a big boot too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazydonkey View Post
    New wife, then?

M

Master
    cant beat an SUV. Twice as likely to kill someone if you hit them over a standard car but bloody comfy.

Had a (last shape) XC60, now have a Tiguan and there’s no comparison imho, really liked the Volvo but even though we have the all bells and whistles R line Tiguan it is the most boring car I’ve ever owned, nice enough but zero character and feels much less well built than my Golf. I’ve decided this is my last SUV, they’re just a daft trend, don’t drive as well as an estate or a saloon, use more fuel and don’t really offer any more space. Maybe good if you’re tall and putting kids in and out of car seats - they’ll save your back - and they make you feel superior with the higher driving position, but I’m over that now!!
    Best car I ever had for the kids was a Touran, look like a van but the space and versatility blows even a big SUV like an XC90 away

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    Does it have to be an SUV? The Skoda Superb is a fantastic family car. Loads of space inside and a big boot too.
    Yeah the wife likes being higher up but not too high as she’s a shocking driver haha!

Craftsman
    Kia Sorento

Yeah the wife likes being higher up but not too high as she’s a shocking driver haha!

Quite niche but Volvo and Audi quite often do a cross country / all road estate. These are higher than standard but doubt there will be many about.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    Honda CRV hybrid is a great car. Plenty of space, plenty quick enough for normal driving, plenty of safety gear, very reliable and economical - mine is currently averaging just over 50mpg. Not the flashiest of SUVs but there's a reason why Honda sell so many.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
    ^^^This, 100%^^^

I would get an estate. Kids can’t climb into an SUV and picking them in and out became a pain for my wife, they handle really badly, and have no more space than an estate. I swapped an f pace for a c class estate and it’s better in every way including looks IMHO. The Audi A4 and A6 are both good looking and nice interiors too. Pics for comparison

Since having kids we’ve had one SUV (in Colombia where there is a definite advantage in having an elevated driving position) and three estates. In practical terms of getting kids and their paraphernalia around, the estates win hands down.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master
    I found it much more daunting trying to navigate a large estate car on the narrow streets of London than the SUV’s we have had since. The high driving position just makes it so much easier to see around you.
    Can’t say I found my old X5 or current e-tron handle particularly poorly either.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

The best SUV I have driven was a VW Touareg. Couldn’t fault it. In my opinion it was better and nicer than the Audi Q5. However, I am over the whole SUV thing and would rather a humble estate such as an A6, Superb or V60.

We have a CRV and it's huge inside for it's class. There's loads of leg room in the back and it always amazes me how much luggage can fit in the boot. Our roof box has been redundant since we got the CRV.

You won't want one but the 5008 is pretty much the perfect vehicle, can't fault it but not exactly exciting

With kids and prams I would go X5. As a current owner I am delighted with it and the wife loves driving it too. It may appear large but it's a doddle to drive and park and the ride comfort is sublime.

Master
    If parking is a challenge try to find one with the all round camera view. I have it for the first time on my current, XC90, and it is amazing. Park like a boss.
    Still don't allow the gf to drive it tho......

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    We just got a Skoda Kodiaq, loads of space. Really nice car

Nissan X-Trail?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    The best SUV I have driven was a VW Touareg. Couldn’t fault it. In my opinion it was better and nicer than the Audi Q5. However, I am over the whole SUV thing and would rather a humble estate such as an A6, Superb or V60.
    Similar experience here. Had SUV's from Nissan, Mercedes and Lexus but am now on my second estate.

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

The new EV6 from Kia got an unreal right up review

Monster room - monster range - eco friendly - a squashed down suv rather than an estate car - it’s a big move in the market

https://www.kia.com/uk/new-cars/ev6/...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by watchcollector1 View Post
    We have a CRV and it's huge inside for it's class. There's loads of leg room in the back and it always amazes me how much luggage can fit in the boot. Our roof box has been redundant since we got the CRV.
    I also have a CRV. We've had loads of SUVs including an SQ5, F-pace and RR sport as well as some other Japanese and Korean offerings.

The others might all have been quicker and more luxurious but this is by far the most spacious, most reliable and just generally the best utility vehicle I've ever owned. The space inside is actually unbelievable considering it's more like a small/mid sized SUV on the outside. We can get my sons 125cc pit bike stood upright in the back with part of the seat folded and still carry 3 passengers, the dog and a load of tools/luggage etc.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by watchcollector1 View Post
    David Cameron has driven them for years. I just thought you would like to know that.

My wife is recovering from a stroke and her left leg is not 100% so it looks like that she will have her driving licence amended to an automatic. We will buy a Honda HRV because it is a self charging hybrid, fairly high up which makes getting in and out easy and the famous Honda rear seat fold down system means lots of rear leg room when up and loads of luggage space when down. You cannot beat a Honda.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P
    David Cameron has driven them for years. I just thought you would like to know that.
    Is that a recommendation or a warning?

M

Surprised Toyota wasn't mention, but don't seem to have a big variety in the UK

3 in the UK and 7 in Canada + one mini van

You have the land cruiser we don't get, but thats probably too large

Highlander would have been a good model

DON

Just buy a swb VW T6 Kombi....not as cumbersome as some of the vast SUVs as most of the size advantage is in the boxshape of the vehicle, not the width or overall length......and far more practical ( IMO )

Master
    I’d highly recommend an X3. It will be the 1st ever car I’ve kept longer than 3 years as just bought it off the lease company. Mine is the 3 litre engine so got a nice bit of power.

My wife has a Tiguan and that’s a very nice car for the money. She got a great lease deal a couple of years back.

Quote Originally Posted by keitht View Post
    Just buy a swb VW T6 Kombi....not as cumbersome as some of the vast SUVs as most of the size advantage is in the boxshape of the vehicle, not the width or overall length......and far more practical ( IMO )

Good Call - with so many advantages over a normal car, particularly on long journeys.
    But WHAT would the neighbours think!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DONGinsler View Post
    Surprised Toyota wasn't mention, but don't seem to have a big variety in the UK

3 in the UK and 7 in Canada + one mini van

You have the land cruiser we don't get, but thats probably too large

Highlander would have been a good model

DON
    Toyota sells the Highlander Hybrid in Europe. We drove an older model in 2014 in the US. Certainly worth a look and a test drive

Master
    SUV's aren't actually that great as family cars for younger kids. They usually have big transmission tunnels, high boot floors and interior space is less than you think.
    Much as I am loathe to say it the best / most versatile vehicle I've had was a Seat Alhambra, yes a minivan.
    Need room for 6 kids (or adults) to take to an event or party - put all the seats in and on you go.
    Need room for your 3 and all their paraphernalia - take out 2 seats and bobs your uncle.
    Only have 2 and they don;t get on - take out the middle seat .
    Tip run or furniture pickup (or even once a full on house move) - take out all the seats and more than enough room.

I've had SUV's, Estates, Hatchbacks and Saloons and nothing beat the Minivan for practicality. That era of Alhambra even handled half decently thanks to ford going over the suspension (for the galaxy) no idea what the breed is like these days but if my loins were unexpectedly fruitful and/or I had the burning need to lug tons of people or crap about then I'd be down the ford garage for a galaxy quick smart.

Thank god I'm now in my 50's and can get away with a convertible.

I agree with the above - in terms of actual practicality, my wife's Ford S-Max dogmobile is absolutely superb. It is also excellent to drive, has lots of kit, reliable, comfortable, and supremely spacious. Added to that, it feels very high-quality in terms of fit and finish - quite a bit ahead of my Merc for example.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Craftsman
    My wife's old Toyota Verso can carry 7 or 2 with an enormous boot - great for ferrying kids to events or taking rubbish to the tip or moving furniture! The MPV is history now though - many manufacturers have stopped making them altogether. Apart from the practicality, it gave me no driving pleasure so I do have mixed feeling about them.

Can't believe I've just extolled the virtues of an MPV - I'm now officially old!

OP - the RAV4 is getting great reviews and friend who has one loves his. Worth putting on your list.