closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goodwood Festival of Speed - never been, go by bike?

Goodwood Festival of Speed - never been, go by bike?

I've never been but thinking of it this year (on the Thursday or Friday) - can anyone advise tips if visiting for a new boy and how is the logistics of getting in/out/parking etc on a motorcycle?

Defo go by bike. Take a puck for your side stand as you will likely be parked on grass. I always preferred bike to car for this and similar events as the bike allows a bit of cutting past traffic and filtering when safe to do so. The FoS is great, but Revival is better again.

I've done both too and the traffic is horrific everywhere around the venue. Parking a bike is a breeze and you'll definitely be on grass somewhere.

Definitely a bike

Craftsman
    When I went previously they had a dedicated bike parking area and container units where you could safely leave your helmet/gear for a donation to a local charity.

Master
    Went in 2019 and camped , the buses from the campsite use private roads to get to the circuit. What I saw of the roads were solid.

On a slight low note, I thought all tickets for the 2021 FOS were sold out due to carryover from last year and reduced numbers allowed.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    …and reduced numbers allowed.
    I’m pretty sure that it’s full ticket numbers - they released more tickets (on top of last year’s tickets) after the initial 21st June roadmap announcement was made.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    I’m pretty sure that it’s full ticket numbers - they released more tickets (on top of last year’s tickets) after the initial 21st June roadmap announcement was made.
    My error, wasnt aware of that, either way it’s probably the best motor sport event I have ever attended :)

Craftsman
    Tickets still available for Thursday and Friday.

Thanks guys, any tips on best places to view, what to see etc (only so much you can fit in one day)...

Quote Originally Posted by Max... View Post
    Thanks guys, any tips on best places to view, what to see etc (only so much you can fit in one day)...
    It’s been quite a few years since I’ve been but as others have said, hands down the best Motorsport event I’ve been to. It’s a real enthusiasts event. I think the paddock area was a highlight, where some incredible cars, and legendary people were just intermingling with the rest of us. And I think walking up to the top of the hill climb was well worth doing. Plenty to see but I think you can cover most of it in a day (that was my experience).
    Enjoy!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are only there for 1 day, try not to get too stressed about trying to see it all - you wont be able to.

Wander around the Paddock, walk up the Hill Climb via the Rally stage and the display to the side of the house behind the Sponsors Enclosure (cant remember what it is called - Cartier de Lux?) is worth a look.

Otherwise, just wander around and keep an eye on the clock so you are not in the trees when the fly-past comes over.
    Last edited by Maysie; 8th June 2021 at 14:38.

Craftsman
    Yes, I usually go for just 1 day and there is definitely too much to see in that time. I’d recommend doing the main paddock first thing before it gets too busy and then wander back down the hill climb and check out other areas as you pass them. I usually skip most of the manufacturer stands but some of them can be worth a quick look.

Thanks chaps.

Tickets booked for the Friday.

:-)
    Last edited by Max...; 8th June 2021 at 12:34.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MalaMD View Post
    Yes, I usually go for just 1 day and there is definitely too much to see in that time. I’d recommend doing the main paddock first thing before it gets too busy and then wander back down the hill climb and check out other areas as you pass them. I usually skip most of the manufacturer stands but some of them can be worth a quick look.
    This. Walk the paddock as early as you can when the crowds are a bit smaller. The manufacturer stands are getting smaller each year so aren’t as impressive as they used to be.

I normally go for a single day only but have never managed to get to the rally stages. Feels like you need to commit a few hours to see it which is a lot if you only have a day.

I normally go:

Paddock walk
    Super car paddock - via the main house and everything in between like the mclaren stand, cartier de lux, BMW boulevard (was BMW in 2018 and 19 at least) along with the drift paddock which was new for 2019.

Then watch the track for a bit, then the manufacturer stands and then finally the exhibitors tents with whatever time I have left.

From memory I think the F1 cars run the hill on a Saturday, but they are worth seeing on the start line if you get the chance.

I could only get a Friday ticket this year as the weekend had already sold out.

Traffic can be bad, although when I've been it's never been horrible (as trying to get home from Bournemouth on a bank holiday can be!).

If you have a motorcycle, though, like the British GP, you'll save time.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Try your best to get there for 7am. It’s the best time to walk the paddocks.

Thanks all.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I will be going on my bike as Mission motorsport sent me a couple of tickets,I have a pass to park in the U car park near the hotel.

They said I can leave baggage with them if I like,but I am going to take a pannier and leave my bike jeans and boots on the bike and change into shorts and trainers.

The accomadation was very hard to find I am surprised no one has commented on the profiteering over the top prices.

£500 for a room in a pub, not to mention Goodwoods own high prices,though there will be a lot of very rich people who to them its nothing.

Not so much a chip on the shoulder,it just made me feel a little inadequate money wise.

It depends where and when you book and how close I guess, obviously 'on-site' will be crazy money but we're staying in a lovely little hotel in Arundel 10 miles from FOS on Thursday night - it was £110 double room and breakfast via booking.com a few weeks ago.

Master
    Blog Entries
    It depends where and when you book and how close I guess, obviously 'on-site' will be crazy money but we're staying in a lovely little hotel in Arundel 10 miles from FOS on Thursday night - it was £110 double room and breakfast via booking.com a few weeks ago.

I went out as far as Perersfield and up to a 40 minute ride in and couldnt find anything.
    As I only got the tickets on Friday I guess I was just a bit late looking.
    I had to go onto airbandb and found a self contained room at the bottom of Hayling island,still I nice little ride in is a good way to start the day.

Now the big decision is which watch to wear, Its looking like either my Zenith Tipo or Smiths military (which would probably be more comfortable as its light and on a NATO).

Master
    The Swan or The Norfolk?

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    ... I am surprised no one has commented on the profiteering over the top prices.

£500 for a room in a pub, not to mention Goodwoods own high prices,though there will be a lot of very rich people who to them its nothing.

Not so much a chip on the shoulder,it just made me feel a little inadequate money-wise.
    This seems to be a general problem in the UK at the moment, perhaps unsurprisingly.

We regularly book a weekend's diving in Swanage in August, but this year people are struggling to find anything at any price (I'm camping, which is fine if the weather holds!) within 30 or 40 miles.

Some people have reported similar prices for B&Bs - One couple said they'd found a tent for £100 a night on AirBnB!

We went to Plymouth a few weeks ago and I paid £60 a night for a lovely B&B (Barbican Reach, if anyone is interested) just off the Hoe and Barbican, but the summer months are going to be difficult!

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Well, I rather agree on ‘pricey’. But a large flight (could be mustangs.?) just flew across northern Chichester, and swarmed all round the area. All free…..plenty to see and do.

I lost all sympathy for events people and food vendors today, Hot Dog £7.50, duck wrap £9.50, food and drink prices were outrageous

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    I lost all sympathy for events people and food vendors today, Hot Dog £7.50, duck wrap £9.50, food and drink prices were outrageous
    I’d consider how much of that will go to Earl March I suspect significantly more than you expect

At many events the catering is offered out as deal for providing the whole shebang. Often the high bidder then sells off plots to various caterers - price depends on location and footfall.

It does not justify high prices, but sometimes this is seen as a captive audience at a premier event - which seems to be the case here.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Drive down the Lavant Road, a286, south towards Chichester, first, large co-op on your right , full of sandwiches and so on. Plenty of parking, petrol.
    Rather fine chippie on the premises, you can eat there if you want. Normal prices. Fill you up for a few quid.
    I’d say it’s the best deal near to Goodwood. In fact the locals use it. If you must, you go north on the 286 to Midhurst, ok all round. Perhaps a touch ‘precious’. Lovely road.
    Last edited by paskinner; 8th July 2021 at 19:56.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Drive down the Lavant Road, a286, south towards Chichester, first, large co-op on your right , full of sandwiches and so on. Plenty of parking, petrol.
    Rather fine chippie on the premises, you can eat there if you want. Normal prices. Fill you up for a few quid.
    I’d say it’s the best deal near to Goodwood. In fact the locals use it. If you must, you go north on the 286 to Midhurst, ok all round. Perhaps a touch ‘precious’. Lovely road.

Not all of them, their mushy pea fritter is ok but "La Fish" is much a better chippy!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bigvic View Post
    Not all of them, their mushy pea fritter is ok but "La Fish" is much a better chippy!
    As you’ll know, the rather entitledin Sunningdale (not me!) trot round for that vanishingly rare local treat, the take away. I miss take-always. Most of all, a curry. Imagine.
    On local prices, one pub was asking £7 a plate for a few chips. I suppose after a few beers, you don’t notice
    Last edited by paskinner; 8th July 2021 at 20:48.

Master
    Blog Entries
    it was £200 for a Hamper at Goodwood.

Helicopter flights are £55 for 5 mins

The hospitality packages are the price of a small car.

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    it was £200 for a Hamper at Goodwood.

Helicopter flights are £55 for 5 mins

The hospitality packages are the price of a small car.
    For a high profile event, those prices are not that bad.

but "La Fish" is much a better chippy!
    Agreed, top notch chippy, founded by a top man, Adam (RIP).

Foggy

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy View Post
    Agreed, top notch chippy, founded by a top man, Adam (RIP).

Foggy
    Because he died so young, locals held a special occasion, giving away free chips; by all accounts, he was a very decent man. Good to be held in such affection. If you do something well…..

It’s not called the ‘Festival of Greed’ for nothing…

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    It’s not called the ‘Festival of Greed’ for nothing…
    THAT is rubbish, any idea what the costs are ? Insurance for the event alone is a fortune !
    Our daughter worked at Goodwood, and the net results are far from what people think
    Get your facts in order, then comment....

The catering lot pay for their spot at the event, it is up to them what they then charge customers.....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    You're right, The Loft at the petrol station is great for F&C, as is La Fish in town...... (probably the best for miles !)

Quote Originally Posted by ingenioren View Post
    The catering lot pay for their spot at the event, it is up to them what they then charge customers.....
    And they often have to pay a lot of money up front to get the pitch - £20k plus is not uncommon.

THAT is rubbish, any idea what the costs are ? Insurance for the event alone is a fortune !
    Our daughter worked at Goodwood, and the net results are far from what people think
    Get your facts in order, then comment....

It is still outrageously expensive, I would advise anyone to take your own food.

I have been several times but always get the impression that they are charging people a fortune to watch rich people play with their expensive toys,

This year the corporate areas take up more trackside space than ever and the famous drivers are away from the public in the their bar or the house.

It’s like Formula one, the public are a necessary evil to help pay the bills.

Blog Entries

Cool

It is still outrageously expensive, I would advise anyone to take your own food.

I have been several times but always get the impression that they are charging people a fortune to watch rich people play with their expensive toys,

This year the corporate areas take up more trackside space than ever and the famous drivers are away from the public in the their bar or the house.

It’s like Formula one, the public are a necessary evil to help pay the bills.

And no one is forcing anyone.....
    If it's good, it's good, that simple.... own sandwiches ? why not ???

And no one is forcing anyone.....
    If it's good, it's good, that simple.... own sandwiches ? why not ???
    This, it's a pretty unique event in the petrolhead calendar.

Go, enjoy or don't.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Met Murray walker there years ago, had a fantastic chat to him about his driving and my diving, such a lovely man.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    This, it's a pretty unique event in the petrolhead calendar.

Go, enjoy or don't.
    It’s great, but I’m not paying, and I don’t have to park miles away

Master
    It’s great, but I’m not paying, and I don’t have to park miles away
    Jealous doesn’t even describe it , 2019 for me first time , without doubt the BEST motorsport event I have ever attended, full stop.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    I hope the weather is significantly better tomorrow than the current forecast.

THAT is rubbish, any idea what the costs are ?
    The locals have been calling it that tor years. So my facts are perfectly in order, thanks.

Lord March is very successful at monetising his assets. But there is a pretty price to pay for the customers. Try comparing the (relative) prices paid for the earlier Festivals compared to the prices paid these days.

Craftsman
    Some snaps taken on Thursday.

Benz Blitzen. Driven up the hill with gusto.

A good day out.

Booked up to view a house tomorrow on a brand new development situated literally a few hundred yards from the Fordwater straight. No intention of buying a house that close to all that noise but we'll have a grandstand view of the Red Arrows display from an upstairs window!

Booked up to view a house tomorrow on a brand new development situated literally a few hundred yards from the Fordwater straight. No intention of buying a house that close to all that noise but we'll have a grandstand view of the Red Arrows display from an upstairs window!
    That is very noble of you.
    The person showing you around must have been wondering what they can do on a spare weekend during a global pandemic, national restrictions on close contact, and recommendations to avoid none essential travel.

PS - it's a good job you have had your vaccine, otherwise we would be in the middle of a forth wave.
    Oh - hang on a minute.