closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Traser watch repair - guidance and advice please!

Craftsman

Traser watch repair - guidance and advice please!

Good morning all,

I have quite an old Traser watch, which whilst not particularly valuable, is very sentimental to me.

It recently stopped, and, as usual, I replaced the battery, however this has not revived it.

Please can anyone recommend who I could send it to for, what I presume, will be a movement replacement, to bring it back to life. From my very amateur sleuthing (and without using a microscope for my tired eyes!) it looks like a “Ronda 515” movement, so a replacement, or similar, should be relatively easy to find.

Trying to source, and fit a movement for this, whilst probably relatively straight-forward for a lot of the members here, is way beyond my capabilities and experience.

I am aware that the economics of a repair would, for most people, outweigh the value of the watch, however, as I say, it is a special watch for me with some very happy associated memories.

Any help or guidance gratefully accepted!

Pics hopefully attached:

Last edited by Mainspring; 7th July 2021 at 12:02.

Personally I’d go to green’s watch services. If I remember correctly they’re the UK importer for Traser. Spoke to someone there a few years back when I broke a very old traser, and he seemed very knowledgeable.

Craftsman
    Thanks Jambo - that is a great place to start. I’ll see if I can make contact with them.

Appreciated.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jambo View Post
    Personally I’d go to green’s watch services. If I remember correctly they’re the UK importer for Traser. Spoke to someone there a few years back when I broke a very old traser, and he seemed very knowledgeable.
    Just located Greens - it seems they will do a complete service, including return RMSD for £40, so I will probably go for that, unless there are any other suggestions in the meantime.

Thanks again for the steer!

Quote Originally Posted by Mainspring View Post
    Just located Greens - it seems they will do a complete service, including return RMSD for £40, so I will probably go for that, unless there are any other suggestions in the meantime.

Thanks again for the steer!
    Stick with Green's, It was a few years ago mind you but I always had excellent service from them. I think they were the original importer of Traser within the UK or were the main dealer for them.
    Last edited by zippy; 18th July 2021 at 17:22.

I was going to suggest traser themselves who’d done good work for me in the past, but I checked and it was actually Greens!

Craftsman
    Thanks very much for all the recommendations for Greens - the watch is off to them in the morning, and hopefully they will be able to work their magic!

Thanks again everyone!

No worries, good luck. 👍 Please let us know how you go.

Craftsman
    As promised, pleased to report back, as follow:

Watch was sent (on the advice given here) to Green’s on Thursday afternoon by 1st Class RM Tracked mail.

I received a call at 09:05 yesterday morning from Graham (Green) advising me that the watch was missing the battery spring, and that the battery had leaked.

I was offered a new watch for c£140, or a movement replacement for £70.

As the watch is sentimental to me, I opted for the movement replacement.

Graham was happy for me to pay in due course, whenever it was convenient to me, but I chose to settle the bill there and then over the phone.

Thanks were made, along with a promise to get started on the work, with the watch to be returned over the next few days.

This morning, at 08:25, my watch arrived back, by RM Special Delivery, duly repaired, with a printout of the watertightness test (3 bar - more than plenty for me!), a tick-list of all the parts replaced, and work done, and looking cleaner than when sent away.

£62.50 for the replacement movement, new gaskets, gasket crown, pins, and battery, and £7.50 for RM Special Delivery, £70 total.

To my mind, a turnaround, and return to me of less than 24 hours from their receipt of the watch, demonstrates a level of service and customer care that is not reported that often these days.

In conclusion, thanks for the swift , and well made recommendations from those who responded, and I would heartily recommend Greens to anyone.

Great news, glad to hear it all turned out well. You may have just inspired me to dig my old traser out and do the same!

Craftsman
    Good idea Jambo - do it whilst it’s in your mind!

Craftsman
    It’s great when the forum is able to help out like this. Being able to wear an old watch which has sentimental value with confidence is a nice thing. Fit for a few more years service now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine is sitting in a box by the back door waiting until I finish self-isolation and can go to the post office again!

Arrived back from them today. New bezel, new movement, new crown and stem, service. And, er, rather disappointingly it has stopped in transit. The second hand stuck at 38 seconds. Unscrew the crown and it starts again. Screw it in and it stops at 38 seconds, every time. Unfortunately this was the issue when I sent it to them. I've left a message for them to call me back. I am sure it can be sorted, but it's a pain all the same.

Bugger. They seem like good sorts, fingers crossed they get the bottom and sort it out for you. Please let us know if you have time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jambo View Post
    Bugger. They seem like good sorts, fingers crossed they get the bottom and sort it out for you. Please let us know if you have time.
    They were very quick to get back to me. They've taken the watch back in and offered to refund postage, so absolutely no complaints so far.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Wolff View Post
    They were very quick to get back to me. They've taken the watch back in and offered to refund postage, so absolutely no complaints so far.
    That’s good to hear, and hopefully it’ll be fully resolved soon!

And sorted! They contacted me yesterday to say it had arrived and they'd found the problem, so would have it back in the post the same day. It arrived this morning and is working perfectly. All in all, I would say they've been great, so I would recommend.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Wolff View Post
    And sorted! They contacted me yesterday to say it had arrived and they'd found the problem, so would have it back in the post the same day. It arrived this morning and is working perfectly. All in all, I would say they've been great, so I would recommend.
    So glad, but not surprised, that it has been sorted quickly and to your satisfaction.

I found them a pleasure to deal with.