closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Yesterday

Master

Yesterday

Like millions of other viewers I'm sure, I watched the TV premiere of Yesterday this evening. If I wasn't on holiday my attention span probably wouldn't have stretched to watching this, quite honestly - too many other distractions at home - but I did enjoy it, so it's good timing.

If you're not aware of it, it's a sort of alternative universe fantasy in which a young, failing singer-songwriter called Jack Malik (Himesh Patel) is somehow propelled into an alternative timeline in which The Beatles never existed. But he knows all their songs, or at least enough of them, so he manages to propel himself to global superstardom by passing them off as his own.

It's a Danny Boyle film but written by Richard Curtis, so there's also a completely predictable rom-com story arc in it. But I must say I liked Curtis' lightness of touch; the easy sentimentality, the light humour. The caricature of a Los Angeles record executive (played by Kate McKinnon) is especially amusing, and very well performed.

There's a very touching scene toward the end of the film in which the young performer meets John Lennon. In this unreal universe Lennon was never famous and therefore never shot dead in New York. Whether by prosthetics, CGI or sheer good fortune the guy who plays Lennon is really scarily like him.

It's easy to find faults with this film. My own view is that a world in which The Beatles never existed would be dramatically different than the present day we know. It wouldn't just be a world culturally identical to ours but without Beatles music, Oasis and (for reasons which are not explored), Harry Potter. Also - without the charisma, chemistry and charm of the Fab Four; without the contribution made by George Martin; without their particular resonance against the soundboard of the prevailing popular culture of the 1960s, would those songs really propel a performer to stardom? Maybe. Maybe not.

Ed Sheeran appears as himself, and I have to say - he does a really good job. Very natural performance. There's an awkward scene in which Ed and Jack have an impromptu songwriting competition, and Jack pulls The Long And Winding Road out of the hat. Patel conveys the shame and embarrassment of beating Ed with someone else's work very well.

It's noticeable actually that most of the songs referenced in the film are McCartney songs. I wonder if Paul's co-operation was solicited for this?

Biggest complaint: I expected a resolution to the film in which the world is somehow restored to normal, and everybody has heard of The Beatles. The sci-fi fan in me wanted to know what happened, to alter the timeline of the Universe. But this is not explored.

Still - an enjoyable, lightweight, romantic, fun film. I liked it a lot.

It's currently streaming on Netflix and I've watched it 3 times now. Great light-hearted film in my opinion.

I've never been a massive fan of the Beatles and I would still argue they have a decent amount of filler, but I've listened to them since watching and their great songs are absolutely fantastic and its been good to rediscover them again.

Biggest surprise for me was indeed Sheeran, he can act!

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I really enjoyed it.

Although a light-hearted film it really makes one think about how great some of the Beatles songs were (and are). The scene where he tries to play Let It Be to his parents is a good example.

I find it astonishing how four lads from one city came together and came up with so many timeless songs. Each was so talented in his own right (well - at least three of them were!) and the combination was out of this world.

Mawkish garbage. I hated it.

And Ed ‘Bilbo Baggins’ Sheeran can do one as well.

Imagine a world without Richard Curtis films? There would be no difference.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I happened upon it. I never watch TV these days but watched the whole thing. Enjoyed it.

Robert Carlyle plays Lennon, looks exactly how you’d expect an aged Lennon to look. I really enjoyed the film too- an easy watch.

Master
    And…..paving the way for an Oasis and Harry Potter launch. Nice Sunday evening’s viewing.

Master
    Loved it Lily James was great she does it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Mawkish garbage. I hated it.

And Ed ‘Bilbo Baggins’ Sheeran can do one as well.

Imagine a world without Richard Curtis films? There would be no difference.
    That's weird, I don't remember posting this.

I contrast to some of the other posters, I thought Sheeran's acting was right up there with the very best of Keanu Reeves. The Day the Earth Stood Still springs to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by bandylegss View Post
    Loved it Lily James was great she does it for me.
    She was Generic English Rose #376.

I thought it was rubbish.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    Robert Carlyle plays Lennon, looks exactly how you’d expect an aged Lennon to look. I really enjoyed the film too- an easy watch.
    Didn’t clock that.

I only watched it as it was filmed in my neck of the woods, actually enjoyed it and wasn’t expecting to.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

As an avid Beatles fan, a total anorak in fact, I really should watch it, but have never managed more than twenty minutes of any Richard Curtis film.
    Yes I know it's meant to be a bit of fun, and from many comments on here it seems to have fulfilled its remit very well, but I would appreciate a bit more depth. Why hadn't The Beatles existed? What, if any differences would this have made to our culture? What became of the fab four? I know from reading these comments that Lennon is covered to some degree, and I googled the images of Robert Carlyle, incredible! Exactly how you would expect Lennon to look now!
    I really should give it a go, but Richard Curtis, aargh!

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

I had low expectations so never watched it when released ,we watched it last week and i have to say i thought it was brilliant,light hearted and of course a superb soundtrack, special mention must go to Kate McKinnon and Joel Fry who played the irritating pushy manager and Rocky the roadie who lifted some scenes with great humour..

The scene of the music showdown with Ed Sheran when Jack came out and played “Long and Winding Road”…..…

I enjoyed it in a throwaway way, which is what I expected.

I thought the two leads (and Joey Fry as the hapless one - There's one in every Richard Curtis film) were pretty good and the use of music was good.

One thing, though, didn't a character say, Post-Crash, "It's no Oasis" and then later we find out Oasis didn't happen?

I thought Ed Sheeran was OK, he was a bit stilted, but he happily played against himself a bit.

I wondered if it was going to be a sad ending with it all being a strange hallucination as Jack died from the accident, but they went for the inexplicable happenings and a happy ending, which I guess was always going to be the case with a Curtis script.

I have to say, though, I enjoyed the Springsteen-based music film, Blinded By The Light, more and I'm more of a Beatles fan than a Springsteen one.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 5th July 2021 at 10:31.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

The Ramsholt Arms (the pub shown by the river Deben, where he sings Yesterday) is local to us, if the weather is good it has fantastic views and great for a dog walk.

Quote Originally Posted by LuvWatch View Post
    The Ramsholt Arms (the pub shown by the river Deben, where he sings Yesterday) is local to us, if the weather is good it has fantastic views and great for a dog walk.
    It did seem a bit of a Suffolk Tourist Board promotion at times, not that that looked a bad thing.

M

Original concept, thought provoking and thoroughly enjoyable. Funnily enough, made me truly appreciate the Beatles lyrics and talent.

Master
    I enjoyed it except for the goody-goody ending.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post

One thing, though, didn't a character say, Post-Crash, "It's no Oasis" and then later we find out Oasis didn't happen?

M
    They said ... Well, it's not Coldplay. It's not "Fix You."

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    Except that Lennon got his granny glasses from his part in How I Won The War, which he wouldn't have had in this universe. Would have been nice if McCartney could have played himself, as well. Perhaps we could have seen him in a scene with Pete Best, two retired civil servants having a beer at a pub somewhere in Liverpool.

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    Except that Lennon got his granny glasses from his part in How I Won The War, which he wouldn't have had in this universe.
    Good point.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    Would have been nice if McCartney could have played himself, as well. Perhaps we could have seen him in a scene with Pete Best, two retired civil servants having a beer at a pub somewhere in Liverpool.
    Yes, he’s usually up for this sort of thing and he probably gave his blessing to the film generally, so I was almost disappointed he didn’t put in a cameo appearance.

Although, thinking about it, didn’t Michael Jackson buy the rights to the Beatles music - and if so presumably the film-makers didn’t require consent from Paul, Ringo or the estates of John and George…?

Quote Originally Posted by hawkit View Post
    They said ... Well, it's not Coldplay. It's not "Fix You."
    Ah, that makes more sense - I didn't hear it, but my wife said that they said it wasn't Oasis

M

Yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by FazerBoy View Post
    Yes, he’s usually up for this sort of thing and he probably gave his blessing to the film generally, so I was almost disappointed he didn’t put in a cameo appearance.

Although, thinking about it, didn’t Michael Jackson buy the rights to the Beatles music - and if so presumably the film-makers didn’t require consent from Paul, Ringo or the estates of John and George…?
    I’m sure I saw an interview somewhere with Danny Boyle who said Paul and Ringo fully endorsed the film, loving the concept of a film where the Beatles never existed
    Last edited by TheGent; 5th July 2021 at 22:50.

Craftsman
    The “no Beatles, no Oasis. That figures...” quip made me chuckle.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    My wife (who loves the Beatles) and I watched it last night. Nice, enjoyable and light, so in all pleasant undemanding viewing.