closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 2017 Volvo XC90 T8

2017 Volvo XC90 T8

Anyone had one, anything to look out for? The one I’m looking at is £34k with 65k on clock and so within 8yr / 100000 mile battery warranty. It’s approved used and we’d probably keep for a while, probably beyond the 8 year battery warranty.

Thanks

That looks quite expensive to me for a four year old with those miles.

Have you looked into contract leasing one of these new, or something similar? You might find it works out better for you all round.

Eg, if you kept that for four years, and reached 100k miles, it would be worth very little- consider your loss against the cost of leasing brand new with full warranty etc.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    That looks quite expensive to me for a four year old with those miles.

Have you looked into contract leasing one of these new, or something similar? You might find it works out better for you all round.
    Have you seen the price of newish second hand cars lately? They’re going through the roof due to the unavailability of new cars leading to a lack of second hand stock. Our GLC is worth 25% more today than it was 12 months ago and it’s got 15,000 more miles on the clock.

Once the unobtainable chips start being delivered again and new cars leave the showrooms, I expect more normal service to resume. Meanwhile, if you’ve a relatively modern car that you’re thinking of selling, now is a great time.

Yes, I’ve heard this. A member of my staff was telling me Mercedes just offered him 2k more than he paid for his A-class two years ago! Amazing.

But I am sure this will just be a temporary blip due to a short term supply issue.

Then, all those who have paid an inflated price for a second hand car will probably see the value crash I guess.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Master
    Blog Entries
    My wife had the diesel version and is very happy with it.
    I’ve heard from a couple of people that they’ve had a few teething problems with the early T8’s.

In terms of advice - make sure you get one with the full digital dash and as many other toys as you can.

Master
    Yes, I’ve heard this. A member of my staff was telling me Mercedes just offered him 2k more than he paid for his A-class two years ago! Amazing.

But I am sure this will just be a temporary blip due to a short term supply issue.

Then, all those who have paid an inflated price for a second hand car will probably see the value crash I guess.
    I pxed my low mileage 2017 civic a month ago and only lost £600 in 18 months

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    Anyone had one, anything to look out for? The one I’m looking at is £34k with 65k on clock and so within 8yr / 100000 mile battery warranty. It’s approved used and we’d probably keep for a while, probably beyond the 8 year battery warranty.

Thanks
    Seems good if it is top trim, mine is a 2018 T8 Inscription with 40k miles and was just under £40k, Volvo approved used. I'm no expert but took me a while to find that one. Had it a year and love it.

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk

Thanks for comments so far. Spec seems good and extras inc

Park Assist Pilot - Automatic Parallel and 90' Parking
    Parking Camera 360' Surround View
    BLIS with Cross Traffic Alert and Rear Collision Mitigation
    Piano Black Waterfall Front Grille
    Lane Keeping Aid

Given I’d need to keep for probably 7-10 years does anyone know what the battery issues might arise? Obviously replacing them at the moment is expensive but maybe that will come down as the tech improves. It would take me 7-10 years to get from 65k to 100k but will be well past the 8 years. Seems a bit of an unknown at the moment.

Had a look at leasing but a 48 month lease will cost the same as buying this outright but at the end I still have the car…struggling to reconcile paying £35k over 4 years to pay for a car I’ll never own, particularly as I only do 3-4K miles pa.

Of course I could just keep our 10 year old Octavia but my man-logic is struggling with that!

Master
    Blog Entries
    I would definitely not assume battery replacement will come affordable over your ownership. I'd definitely go for lease for any hybrid/battery or buy one with a lot more warranty left.

Lane Keeping Aid

Given I’d need to keep for probably 7-10 years does anyone know what the battery issues might arise? Obviously replacing them at the moment is expensive but maybe that will come down as the tech improves. It would take me 7-10 years to get from 65k to 100k but will be well past the 8 years. Seems a bit of an unknown at the moment.

Had a look at leasing but a 48 month lease will cost the same as buying this outright but at the end I still have the car…struggling to reconcile paying £35k over 4 years to pay for a car I’ll never own, particularly as I only do 3-4K miles pa.

Of course I could just keep our 10 year old Octavia but my man-logic is struggling with that!

Given your mileage is so low, might you not be better off just buying a high-spec diesel version? You'd get one for less, and wouldn't have any concerns about battery life etc.

Although indications are that batteries are lasting very well indeed in cars, the cost of replacing say six years from now would probably not be economic for a car that would by then be ten years old and pushing 90k miles.

Master
    At 65k has it done half it’s total mileage? Probably not but getting close, so is it half price? And remember the early miles are normally the most expensive by far.

It does seem expensive even if it is market value.

If you can I might consider waiting.

Given your mileage is so low, might you not be better off just buying a high-spec diesel version? You'd get one for less, and wouldn't have any concerns about battery life etc.

Although indications are that batteries are lasting very well indeed in cars, the cost of replacing say six years from now would probably not be economic for a car that would by then be ten years old and pushing 90k miles.
    Thanks, maybe waiting a year might be a better option. Given all my driving is short local journeys in SE London I’m opposed to diesel. I’ll also keep an eye on lease deals and see what comes up but they’re still a bit pricey for me.

Lane Keeping Aid

Others are better placed to comment on pricing etc as we bought ours some time ago, but bits to note from my experience of a MY17 T8:

1) Extras really worth having, in that I find them seriously additive and wouldn’t have another one without: air suspension / 360-degree parking camera / BLIS / Winter Pack. YMMV, obv, but I really love the comfort of soft suspension on horrible London roads, and the stability of stiffer springs when proceeding at pace.
    2) Software problems should be ironed out now as long as it’s had all the necessary updates from the dealer
    3) Ours does similar mileage to yours (it’s a 66-plate, I’ve driven it since January 2017 and it’s just over 28k miles) and because most of that is urban, the hybrid system really makes a lot of sense; I can go from one week to the next and not use any petrol at all, since most of my journeys are 5-10 miles and done on battery.
    4) I’ve noticed no degradation in battery charging, range or performance over the time I’ve driven the car. It’s worse when the weather is very cold or very hot (because chemistry) and gives you a lot more range in “Pure” driving mode than “hybrid” because the hotel load is much lower - economy air-con etc., etc. - but compared with (say) a phone battery it appears to be doing very well.
    5) Whatever you do, don’t accidentally drive over the plug-in charge cable supplied with the car. It took a bit of fault-finding before I worked out why the thing wasn’t charging when plugged in…!

[Edit - 6) keep an eye on dealer special offers - they often have the Polestar upgrade on offer (I paid less than £500) and IMO it’s really worthwhile. No impact on my insurance premium either, since the bhp increase is below 10% ]
    Last edited by PreacherCain; 5th July 2021 at 11:01.

Quote Originally Posted by PreacherCain View Post
    Others are better placed to comment on pricing etc as we bought ours some time ago, but bits to note from my experience of a MY17 T8:

1) Extras really worth having, in that I find them seriously additive and wouldn’t have another one without: air suspension / 360-degree parking camera / BLIS / Winter Pack. YMMV, obv, but I really love the comfort of soft suspension on horrible London roads, and the stability of stiffer springs when proceeding at pace.
    2) Software problems should be ironed out now as long as it’s had all the necessary updates from the dealer
    3) Ours does similar mileage to yours (it’s a 66-plate, I’ve driven it since January 2017 and it’s just over 28k miles) and because most of that is urban, the hybrid system really makes a lot of sense; I can go from one week to the next and not use any petrol at all, since most of my journeys are 5-10 miles and done on battery.
    4) I’ve noticed no degradation in battery charging, range or performance over the time I’ve driven the car. It’s worse when the weather is very cold or very hot (because chemistry) and gives you a lot more range in “Pure” driving mode than “hybrid” because the hotel load is much lower - economy air-con etc., etc. - but compared with (say) a phone battery it appears to be doing very well.
    5) Whatever you do, don’t accidentally drive over the plug-in charge cable supplied with the car. It took a bit of fault-finding before I worked out why the thing wasn’t charging when plugged in…!

[Edit - 6) keep an eye on dealer special offers - they often have the Polestar upgrade on offer (I paid less than £500) and IMO it’s really worthwhile. No impact on my insurance premium either, since the bhp increase is below 10% ]
    Really helpful, thank you.

Master
    Blog Entries
    As above, the winter pack is great - I love the heated steering wheel.
    Lane assist is a little annoying personally - but you can always turn it off.
    I’m yet to try the self parking thing. I normally travels from the driveway to my wife’s work then back again so I haven’t had the need.
    The full length sunroof is also nice to have.

The other, left field option is to go for the older model and get the 4.4 V8. I’d love one!

Do people really use the self-parking aid?

I've got it on my Merc, tried it once out of curiosity, didn't like it much, and haven't even thought to use it since.

Master
    Do you need a full hybrid? Your fuel use at that annual mileage should be minimal, certainly in relation to the depreciation you are going to experience. 3 or 4k miles pa, even at say 20 mpg, would be around 1000 pounds per year, if my maths is correct. Buy a mild hybrid petrol pre reg for not much more money and it will still be worth a fair bit in 4 years, and you avoid the twin diesel pitas of addblue and dpf clog.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I too like all the extras on the T8, so only one I have never used is the self parking aid as can't be bothered, never used it on previous cars either. I also do 95% of my driving around London on pure electric which works well for me and it goes surprisingly fast for such a huge car on the Power mode.

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    Do you need a full hybrid? Your fuel use at that annual mileage should be minimal, certainly in relation to the depreciation you are going to experience. 3 or 4k miles pa, even at say 20 mpg, would be around 1000 pounds per year, if my maths is correct. Buy a mild hybrid petrol pre reg for not much more money and it will still be worth a fair bit in 4 years, and you avoid the twin diesel pitas of addblue and dpf clog.

I’ll look into the mild hybrid petrol. To be honest fuel cost isn’t the issue, it’s more about local air quality but the newer mild hybrids should also be good on emissions I’m guessing?

I ran a diesel XC60 D5 and really liked the car. Never used the parking aid once and found the lane keeping annoying so that was switched off too. Personally with modern cars being so computerised I wouldn’t consider keeping one for years and driving it into the ground like I used too - there’s just too much to go wrong and when it does it’ll cost £1000’s. At such low mileage per year (I do about 8-10k per annum and thought that was low) I wouldn’t bother, you don’t need a hybrid really - but I appreciate we are all different!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ll look into the mild hybrid petrol. To be honest fuel cost isn’t the issue, it’s more about local air quality but the newer mild hybrids should also be good on emissions I’m guessing?
    I would assume so - although if you're mainly doing short urban journeys then you'll inevitably find that petrol consumption is higher than if you were doing lots of motorway miles. The Mild-Hybrid option didn't exist when I bought, but I think I'd still go with the plug-in since my driving usage is more-or-less binary. I'm either pottering round the South Circular at 6 mph (in which case the electric motor is the way to go) or I'm on dual carriageway at 50+ (in which case the petrol engine is efficient). The Mild Hybrid is a really interesting option for less polarised use cases (though the T8's 400-ish bhp in Clarkson Mode is also quite fun).

Master
    I was looking in to a hybrid Volvo S60 when I bought my s60 t5 but with the low miles I do I worked out it would take 8 years to recoup the extra cost over the one I bought

Master
    With the mild hybrid 250 bhp petrol I average just under 30mpg. I have short school runs of 1 mile in total with 10 mile commutes over a busy A road with a 50mph limit and few passing places, so best to relax and go with the flow. I would have quite fancied the shove from the T8, especially coming from a V6 Macan, but could not justify the huge extra cost.
    The gizmos are pretty fun, I love the air suspension and the all round camera view, but several are turned off (lane assist, the bendy headlights to name but 2) and I have never dared use the park function. To my mind the all round camera view renders that superfluous anyway.
    I have done under 7k miles in 9 months, and I am in work more than normal due to covid related staff shortages, so diesel was a no go for me.

I’ve been looking at the XC60 T8 r-design pro as it’s a bit smaller and have found a 2018 model approved used with all the options, Xenium pack, Intellisafe Pro, adaptive air suspension etc etc with 42k on clock for £36,995. This is slightly above market average accoutring to Autotrader. Has anyone had any joy getting discounts on approve used cars? I realise prices are strong at the moment due to a lack of new cars so might be whistling in the wind but thought I’d ask. I’d also like the tow bar fitted which is £1175 so maybe look for a deal on that?? Or am I just going to need to suck it up if I want one now rather than wait?