closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: London Recommendations

Blog Entries

London Recommendations

So I turned 50 in March and my gf booked 5 nights in London for mid July. I have only been to London on business trips so this is the first time I will be doing the tourist thing.

Lots booked...

London Eye
    Thames Cruise
    Alcotraz prison cocktail bar
    Bus Tours
    Cocktails at the Shard and a few others

We are staying in Apex Templecourt near fleet Street.

Looking for some food recommendations and in particular a good steakhouse, somewhere in Chinatown as well as something a bit different to do.

Any recommendations would be appreciated

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MFB Scotland; 3rd July 2021 at 19:53.

Exmouth Market offers a good range of choices for an evening out. It’s not far from Fleet Street. https://exmouth.london/

Blog Entries
    Brilliant thanks Matt

You’re welcome.

If you like a Tavern/Pub #5-8 and #10 are near you https://secretldn.com/oldest-pubs-in-london/

The Black Friar on the North side of Blackfriars Bridge is interesting too!
    https://londonist.com/pubs/pubs/pubs/the-blackfriar
    Last edited by Matt London; 3rd July 2021 at 20:38. Reason: Add another pub

Goodman in the city could be a good shout for steak.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Awesome and nice to have stuff to look forward to.

Steak - Hawksmoor Covent Garden I like, great spot for the theatre, drinks etc, and they do your steak exactly as asked.

Chinatown there are a few but I always go to the Joy King Lau if possible on the lane from Leicester Square up from the Lego store. Looks a bit crap but great food and the tea is spot on.

Also if you’ve never been, a little watch shop tour of Mayfair, on and around Regents Street and Harrods is always nice.
    Last edited by pete-r; 3rd July 2021 at 20:56.

Craftsman
    Borough Market is a good shout to grab some food and walk about, not far from the Shard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cafe du Marche is a nice spot for steak.
    I like the quality chop house, St. John and the eagle.
    Sekford for a beer.
    Zetter townhouse for a cocktail
    Spoiled for choice round there.
    There’s also a very good cocktail bar tucked down an alley near the Fleet Street/Blackfriars crossroads which I’ll find later.
    I have worked near clerkenwell green for 20 years so know the area well.

Blog Entries
    Checking the recommendations out. Great shouts

I’m not sure where on Fleet St that hotel is but Hawksmoor Guildhall might be close for a steak.

Zuma is worth a try also Hakkasan’s early dinner the taste of Hakkasan set menu at isn’t too shabby for the price (£40 pp I think ), if you fancy an early dinner before drinks.

I’d aviod park chinois and novikov

Drinks wise Mr Foggs is nice and I like the luggage room bar.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I’m not sure where on Fleet St that hotel is but Hawksmoor Guildhall might be close for a steak.
    This is the hotel.

1-2, Serjeant's Inn, Temple, London EC4Y 1AG

Master
    If you want a cocktail and you are ok with old school, then The Savoy (either bar), Dukes or The Connaught are all good. I also like The Goring.

Mate that is a superb hotel we stay there whenever we’re inLondon. You’re a short walk from St Paul’s and the Tower

Someone mentioned the Savoy, great venue but they do literally let anyone in despite the dress code

If you fancy something quirky look at postman’s park…

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Enjoy those breakfasts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Thousands of ideas from your location, try to zero in on what you want.

Very near your accommodation have a look at Epic Pie shop !

I’m about a mile away from the place. I suggest if you list what you want it would be easier to sequence and plan. For example for a steak, cross millennium Bridge , walk south bank, the globe theatre borough market, steak at hawks more and then boat to embankment up to Covent Garden, do the shops and then eat in China town, etc.

If you want a cool bar and a view to die for, try City Social. Great food too 👌🏻

Master

London Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by MFB Scotland View Post
    This is the hotel.

1-2, Serjeant's Inn, Temple, London EC4Y 1AG

The wife wants to stay in London for a couple of days in early August so I just googled this place to see how much.
    3 nights for the wife and I with our two children (9 and 13) is £2850 Way out of my price range.
    Looks lovely though, hope you enjoy.

Edit: just checked again without the kids and it’s £420
    It’s true what they say, kids cost a fortune.
    Last edited by jaytip; 3rd July 2021 at 22:58.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    The wife wants to stay in London for a couple of days in early August so I just googled this place to see how much.
    3 nights for the wife and I with our two children (9 and 13) is £2850 Way out of my price range.
    Looks lovely though, hope you enjoy.

Edit: just checked again without the kids and it’s £420
    It’s true what they say, kids cost a fortune.
    We are going in late July and, while not in this league, we are staying at a well reviewed London Bridge location with our two children in two suite-like rooms for about £650 for three nights including breakfast. There are / were plenty of hotels to choose from.

Master
    Dim Sum - The Golden Phoenix Gerrard St or as PeteR said Joy King Lau.
    Chinese BBQ/Roasts - Young Cheng Lisle St.
    Steak - Blacklock or Sophies Great Windmill St.
    Street food for lunch Mon to Sat down Berwick Street market.

Regent's canal walk - Kings Cross/York Way to Camden Lock.
    Wed to Fri Real Food market outside KX Stn, Fri to Sun Canopy market, Mon to Sun Coal Drop Yard and Camden market.
    If you are in Kings Cross and you want Chinese - Dim Sum Duck Kings Cross Rd.
    Last edited by classics; 4th July 2021 at 01:38.

Blog Entries
    Just love these threads.

We are off to The Langham next month, it’s our guilty pleasure once a year.

Pitch

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’ll also throw in Venchi gelato in Covent Garden for something to sweeten off after dinner ;)

The Harp between Charing Cross and Covent Garden is a firm favourite, if you get bored of shiny restaurants and cocktail bars, and need a good honest selection of real ales.

Blog Entries
    Thanks everyone. Great suggestions !

You're at the edge of the City, which is an odd place at the moment. Much quieter than it was before, so you may find that there are good lunch menus to be had at some of the places that used to be rammed. Hawksmoor has been mentioned before, but the Air St or Covent Garden ones are probably better of an evening (I prefer the Shoreditch one, but there we are). Set lunches in the good restaurants are really good value. And usually far easier to get a table than in the evening. Just near you is the City of London Distillery which does an interesting tour, if gin is your thing. If you walk north into Smithfield, there are some good places - including Club Gascon, which is always interesting (but never cheap) and the infamous St John. Slightly west is Hatton Garden, and there's the Quality Chop House up the road (the things they do to a potato might amaze you). Actually, even the mince on toast is good. The Postal Museum is up there which is certainly unusual, as is the museum of The Order of St John back down towards Clerkenwell. I'd put the Soane Museum in the same bucket - especially if you can visit after dark (not sure they are doing that at the moment). Westwards towards the British Museum (clocks and watches are upstairs, immediately on your left as you go in) and Bloomsbury is nice too - the Dalloway Terrace at the Bloomsbury Hotel is lovely if the weather is good, and the cocktails in the Coral Room are top notch (also a good selection of sparkling English wines, if that's your thing). Obviously the museums are worth doing over in Sth Ken; the Clockmakers Museum in the Science Museum is superb. The V&A is always worth a visit, and the NHM is quieter than I've ever seen it, which means a lot fewer kids running around (probably). There are some random tube station / platform closures though, so download Citymapper.

Master
    Ate at the Harwood Arms pub/restaurant a couple of years ago Michael.
    Rustic old school food-top notch .
    Would need to book though-It's near Stamford Bridge stadium.

Alan would be the guy to ask on Chinatown restaurants .

London Recommendations

What you notice about London at the moment is the very centre; Soho, Leicester Square, Piccadilly etc is very busy, but anywhere on the edge of the centre is dead, due to lack of international tourists.

I was in Bloomsbury a couple of weeks ago and went to the Coral Room at the Bloomsbury hotel as mentioned above. The whole area was like a ghost town. And so was my wallet after a couple of hours in the Coral room too.

Master
    Not sure if you're a pub person but I've organised a number around the City and you have quite a few not too far, A lot will be closed on weekends so this mainly works if you have a afternoon or some evening time to kill in the week.

I assumed a taxi or tube out to Brick Lane and starting off with the best Salt Beef Beigel in London to give a little lining to start ;)
    If you didn't fancy that you could easily swap it round to a more circular walk from your hotel and save time, I've *'d the ones I think are don't miss.

It weedles you back to your hotel taking some of the sites of the city including being close to the Barbican if the architecture their interests.
    Smithfield Meat Market and the Musem of London are also worth some time to wander round.

The Beigel Bake Brick Lane
    https://bricklanebeigel.co.uk/

The Artilery Arms
    https://www.artillery-arms.co.uk/

The Hand & Shears *
    https://thehandandshears.com/
    Closed Weekends

The Jerusalem Tavern
    https://www.stpetersbrewery.co.uk/london-pub
    Closed Weekends

Ye olde miter *
    https://www.yeoldemitreholborn.co.uk/
    Closed Weekends

The Seven Stars *
    https://www.thesevenstars1602.co.uk/

Map Link - https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/ed...V1&usp=sharing

If your free Sunday morning or an early riser, then Columbia Road Flower Market is an interesting way to spend some of Sunday morning, after you can head down via Brick Lane and catch the Salt Beef Beigel if you missed it earlier, have a wander in the Brick Lane Market which is mainly brikabrak now and possibly the Truman Brewery market, this opens up the Spitalfields Markets and another great but slightly down at heal pub 'The Pride of Spitalfields'

Something else to look at is the Wiltons Music Hall, it is as close to an old time music hall as you can get, it has never been renovated just preserved and is a wonderful old building, sadly I don't think you can go in at present if you are not attending a performance but if there is something on you like I'd recommend the experience or perhaps call and check
    https://wiltons.org.uk/
    Last edited by Captain Morgan; 4th July 2021 at 16:10.

Brick Lane for a curry maybe?

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Something a bit different? You’re not far from the Conservatory in the Barbican Centre (needs booking). On the way you could go to the top of the dome of St Paul’s Cathedral, it’s a wonderful view (be prepared for pricey tickets followed by lots of stairs). A short walk also takes you to St James Park, and onwards to Piccadilly and Fortnum & Mason (possibly pausing for a glass of wine), always pleasant, and as mentioned previously, close to the watch nirvana of Old Bond Street. You’re also walking distance from the IMAX in Waterloo, assuming your gf is a Fast & Furious fan!

I always recommend Sir John Soane's museum to visitors.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Not sure if you're a pub person but I've organised a number around the City and you have quite a few not too far, A lot will be closed on weekends so this mainly works if you have a afternoon or some evening time to kill in the week.

I assumed a taxi or tube out to Brick Lane and starting off with the best Salt Beef Beigel in London to give a little lining to start ;)
    If you didn't fancy that you could easily swap it round to a more circular walk from your hotel and save time, I've *'d the ones I think are don't miss.

It weedles you back to your hotel taking some of the sites of the city including being close to the Barbican if the architecture their interests.
    Smithfield Meat Market and the Musem of London are also worth some time to wander round.

The Beigel Bake Brick Lane
    https://bricklanebeigel.co.uk/

The Artilery Arms
    https://www.artillery-arms.co.uk/

The Hand & Shears *
    https://thehandandshears.com/
    Closed Weekends

The Jerusalem Tavern
    https://www.stpetersbrewery.co.uk/london-pub
    Closed Weekends

Ye olde miter *
    https://www.yeoldemitreholborn.co.uk/
    Closed Weekends

The Seven Stars *
    https://www.thesevenstars1602.co.uk/

Map Link - https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/ed...V1&usp=sharing

If your free Sunday morning or an early riser, then Columbia Road Flower Market is an interesting way to spend some of Sunday morning, after you can head down via Brick Lane and catch the Salt Beef Beigel if you missed it earlier, have a wander in the Brick Lane Market which is mainly brikabrak now and possibly the Truman Brewery market, this opens up the Spitalfields Markets and another great but slightly down at heal pub 'The Pride of Spitalfields'

Something else to look at is the Wiltons Music Hall, it is as close to an old time music hall as you can get, it has never been renovated just preserved and is a wonderful old building, sadly I don't think you can go in at present if you are not attending a performance but if there is something on you like I'd recommend the experience or perhaps call and check
    https://wiltons.org.uk/
    Great work, that I will not try to replicate. However…..

If visiting at the weekend maybe try The Rising Sun instead of The Hand and Shears. Then onto The Cockpit, which is always ‘interesting’.

It’s starting to sound like ‘Mornington Crescent’ in here! 😁
    Last edited by Matt London; 4th July 2021 at 19:45. Reason: Mornington Crescent!

Blog Entries
    Definitely a pub person so like the look of a lot of the recommendations

Great response thanks chaps and I am sure other people will benefit form the recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by MFB Scotland View Post
    Definitely a pub person so like the look of a lot of the recommendations

Great response thanks chaps and I am sure other people will benefit form the recommendations

Just remember you don’t get any change out of a tenner for a couple of pints.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Something a bit different? You’re not far from the Conservatory in the Barbican Centre (needs booking). On the way you could go to the top of the dome of St Paul’s Cathedral, it’s a wonderful view (be prepared for pricey tickets followed by lots of stairs). A short walk also takes you to St James Park, and onwards to Piccadilly and Fortnum & Mason (possibly pausing for a glass of wine), always pleasant, and as mentioned previously, close to the watch nirvana of Old Bond Street. You’re also walking distance from the IMAX in Waterloo, assuming your gf is a Fast & Furious fan!

I remember the whispering gallery, one of those things that you never really believe until you see it, or hear it in this case.

Go for breakfast at The Wolseley in Piccadilly, although you need to book, and Sushi Samba in Heron Tower is excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Probably not get a couple of pints for a tenner unless it's Montagu Pyke or Moon Under Water!

Quote Originally Posted by Linocut View Post
    I remember the whispering gallery, one of those things that you never really believe until you see it, or hear it in this case.
    I was lucky enough to get a private tour. The Cathedral was shut so I got the full effect. It was quite eerie!

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Probably not get a couple of pints for a tenner unless it's Montagu Pyke or Moon Under Water!
    Add The Chandos to that list or basically beyond Wetherspoons, any Sam Smiths pub.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Beer seems to have jumped over £6 recently so I don’t think you’d get a couple of pints out of a tenner!

Guinea Grill is fantastic old school steak upstairs and pub downstairs.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by greenandblack View Post
    Beer seems to have jumped over £6 recently so I don’t think you’d get a couple of pints out of a tenner!

Good God
    You’d get a couple of pints and gammon steak and chips for two up here for that.
    Expensive down that London.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt London View Post
    Great work, that I will not try to replicate. However…..

If visiting at the weekend maybe try The Rising Sun instead of The Hand and Shears. Then onto The Cockpit, which is always ‘interesting’.

It’s starting to sound like ‘Mornington Crescent’ in here! 
    T’was easy, most appeared in my Google maps history ;-)

I agree your two suggestions are also good pubs, I would have suggested the hope in the market but it was mullered and turned into a gastro pub a few years ago.

London Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by greenandblack View Post

A pint of bog standard bitter I find it around the fiver mark or just over. Posh pint of lager like Peroni is easily 6 quid, and a craft beer is well over that.

I don’t like Tim Martin much but you can still get a pint of beer in Kingston Wetherspoons for £1.69. It’s like buy one, get three free compared to the rest of the local pubs.

Craftsman
    You could have a look at the Wallace Collection

https://www.wallacecollection.org/

It's a little different compared to some of the bigger museums around London. The cafe courtyard looks amazing.

Primrose Hill is a good area for pubs and if you can, walk to the top of the hill and you get great views over London. Pubs like the Engineer, the Princess of Wales are worth a visit. My favourite restaurant in the area is Restaurant Michael Nadra.

https://www.restaurant-michaelnadra.co.uk

Hope this is helpful.

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Great choice Howard. The Wolseley is my first stop when I go into town, book for 0900hrs and after getting up at 0500 the Kedgerie goes down a treat.

Quote Originally Posted by hhhh View Post
    Go for breakfast at The Wolseley in Piccadilly, although you need to book, and Sushi Samba in Heron Tower is excellent.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    Great choice Howard. The Wolseley is my first stop when I go into town, book for 0900hrs and after getting up at 0500 the Kedgerie goes down a treat.

Great picture. I’ve been for dinner on a number of occasions but never for breakfast. I must rectify that.

London Recommendations

The Wolsey had me thinking about Brasserie Zedel, as it is the same owner. Lovely dining room and great to go for pre-dinner drinks in Bar Americain.

You don’t need particularly deep pockets either as they do a great set menu.

I usually have to book a good 2 weeks in advance to get a decent timed weekend table. The place is very popular.

Master
    "So I turned 50 in March and my gf booked 5 nights in London for mid July"

If you're 50 and have a girlfriend, just book a room! :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post

Like to breakfast there before a visit to my hatters.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Like to breakfast there before a visit to my hatters.
    I live in a different pay grade lol, I don’t have a hatter!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    I live in a different pay grade lol, I don’t have a hatter!
    To be fair they aren’t solely mine but I can wholeheartedly recommend them.

https://www.lockhatters.com/