closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Zenith Chronomaster Original

Master
    Blog Entries

Zenith Chronomaster Original

New 38mm range launched this week.

Really taken with these, especially the panda.

https://www.zenith-watches.com/int/p...0-3600-21-c903

Master
    The panda is the standout for me too. Looking forward to seeing some real world pics of it.

Craftsman
    Zenith seem to be on a roll.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

That's bloody lovely, and has the new cal. 3600 movement too. If I didn't have the Chronomaster Sport I'd be buying one without a moment's hesitation.

The date placement is appalling. It's otherwise, bordering on perfect

Master
    It’s the first watch in ages that has my attention, very much looking forward to trying it. The date doesn’t worry me as there’s plenty else going on, even polished centre links make sense on this. Finally something interesting in 38mm that I could actually wear!

This thread needs some pictures…

https://swisswatches-magazine.com/blog/zenith-el-primero-chronomaster-original/
    Last edited by Itsguy; 30th June 2021 at 22:00.

Master
    This release was inevitable. I think it’s a stunner. I’m waiting on a blue dial version though.

That’s really nice. I wonder if they will be released in 42mm ( the old 38mm wore small & I have slim wrists).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    This release was inevitable. I think it’s a stunner. I’m waiting on a blue dial version though.
    It already exists as the boutique edition of this watch. I saw it the other day at the boutique and was stunning.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    It already exists as the boutique edition of this watch. I saw it the other day at the boutique and was stunning.
    Do you mean the white dial with blue subdial manufacture edition? I was thinking more a blue dial like the a3818 cover girl version.
    Last edited by ac11111; 1st July 2021 at 09:16.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    Do you mean the white dial with blue subdial manufacture edition? I was thinking more a blue dial like the a3818 cover girl version.
    Nope there is a blue dial Chronomaster Original, ie the watch we are discussing right now. NOT the manufacture edition. But only sold through boutiques. Its very new so may not be advertised yet.

Also not sure how many people care about this but on Zenith's website, it states 20/16 as the lug width on the spec sheet but that is INCORRECT. The correct lug spacing is 19mm. The same as the A386. I measured this myself at the boutique with the staff. Zenith has been notified of this error.
    Last edited by kaiserphoenix; 1st July 2021 at 11:30.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    Nope there is a blue dial Chronomaster Original, ie the watch we are discussing right now. NOT the manufacture edition. But only sold through boutiques. Its very new so may not be advertised yet.

Also not sure how many people care about this but on Zenith's website, it states 20/16 as the lug width on the spec sheet but that is INCORRECT. The correct lug spacing is 19mm. The same as the A386. I measured this myself at the boutique with the staff. Zenith has been notified of this error.
    Cool didn’t realise this was released, think they should go with an all blue one though like the A3818 cover girl version below

AD just sent me these pictures of the panda. Looks pretty awesome. I've got way too many chronos but it's very tempting.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by zen123 View Post
    AD just sent me these pictures of the panda. Looks pretty awesome. I've got way too many chronos but it's very tempting.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
    Looks stunning is that case gold or steel?

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Looks stunning is that case gold or steel?
    Steel

This and the revival are really nice looking watches, but at 38mm a tiny bit small for me (though I guess the revival case shape might mean it seems a bit bigger). I really love this brown dial https://www.zenith-watches.com/int/p...4-400-385-m385

Master
    Apparently these should be available towards the end of the month, with a bit of luck. In the meantime though, I’m struggling to think of anything in my life that actually needs timing to 1/10th of a second, cool as that party trick is. I guess those boiled eggs will be absolutely perfect.

YouTube channel WatchAdvisor has a hands on presentation of these new models:
    https://youtu.be/oPxZngQLKU8

Sent from my JSN-L21 using Tapatalk

I still fail to understand why Zenith give all their best watches a wonky date window but don't bother making a non-date version. Rolex can handle it with the Submariner, I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd buy a Zenith like this with no date. As it is there's as much chance of me buying one of these as there is a Graham.
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    Apart from the new movement and slightly altered second hand (star removed), I'm struggling to see much difference between this and the previous discontinued 38mm tricolour EP.
    Is the case a different shape?

Edit; just noticed are the crown and chronograph pushers slightly larger?

Master
    Blog Entries
    I like the date where it is. I had an (original) original EP and also a 90’s Rainbow and found it great to read with your write slightly off level. If you wear on your right arm you’re screwed though....

Zen123 what’s the UK RRP?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post
    Apart from the new movement and slightly altered second hand (star removed), I'm struggling to see much difference between this and the previous discontinued 38mm tricolour EP.
    Is the case a different shape?

Edit; just noticed are the crown and chronograph pushers slightly larger?
    Lug shape looks slightly different and as you say the pushers look larger and the crown looks bigger and flatter.

Bracelet is closer to that one on the chronomaster sport I think with the Rolex style clasp.

I’m tempted but wouldn’t buy a Zenith without a discount and that’s going to be hard on a brand new model.

Panda on a bracelet and get the strap separately would be my choice.

Quote Originally Posted by pete-r View Post
    I like the date where it is. I had an (original) original EP and also a 90’s Rainbow and found it great to read with your write slightly off level. If you wear on your right arm you’re screwed though....

Zen123 what’s the UK RRP?
    £7100 on strap or £7500 bracelet. They are available to buy now. I was offered quite a nice discount for them which made it so so tempting. Problem is I have too many chronos so I'll see in the future if I go for one.

Master
    Name a great chronometer design complete with date. Have there been any? Chrono dials struggle with all the details, a date window is just one more thing. Too much.
    Those two ‘classics’ the Speedy and the Daytona, both sidestep the issue. Very sensible….
    Last edited by paskinner; 3rd July 2021 at 08:56.

Yep, I’m afraid the date is a bit of a puncture on this one….

I generally prefer no date on anything other than full calendar watches, but this watch looks great overall, I think it can be forgiven. Even better if the ladder bracelet off the other revival pieces fits, anyone know?

On a point above, integrating dates within a sub dial can be inoffensive. It works on the latest Breitling chronomats.

Master
    Blog Entries
    It’s a stunner but 38mm?
    I think Zenith have short sided themselves on size.
    It’s interesting that Zenith and IWC are producing some stunning cost effective watches, probably to compete with potential Daytona
    Purchasers.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffcotton View Post
    It’s a stunner but 38mm?
    I think Zenith have short sided themselves on size.
    It’s interesting that Zenith and IWC are producing some stunning cost effective watches, probably to compete with potential Daytona
    Purchasers.
    It’s intended to be faithful to the original though. It’s not as if people who like larger watches don’t have enough options, including similar watches from Zenith themselves. The occasional smaller watch might sell well, as options are limited for those who find most modern watches slightly oversized.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    The date placement is appalling. It's otherwise, bordering on perfect
    i agree. other than the date it’s more or less the perfect chrono

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the Zenith date treatment and always have, it's functional and distinctive being clearly identified with the brand for decades and their El Primero chronograph watches in particular.

What I'm really not keen on, are tiny date windows at 6 o'clock, for the sake of symmetry, where the slightest misalignment of the date wheel really shows and it sometimes eats into either a running seconds or hours register (if the watch has one).

About half my colection is non date watches or those with date sundials, the others all have date windows. I'm more bothered about function and the overall design - the Zenith date doesn't put me off at all.

Sent from my JSN-L21 using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    It’s intended to be faithful to the original though. It’s not as if people who like larger watches don’t have enough options, including similar watches from Zenith themselves. The occasional smaller watch might sell well, as options are limited for those who find most modern watches slightly oversized.
    Mostly I agree with you. But 40mm Diameter is more the ‘norm’ now.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffcotton View Post
    Mostly I agree with you. But 40mm Diameter is more the ‘norm’ now.
    That’s the problem for me - what we all need is a range of sizes for different people, but almost every watch aims for ‘the norm’, a median size. Which is sensible up to a point as that should result in the most sales, but in a brand’s collection it doesn’t make sense as they’re all the same. You end up with vanishingly few in 38mm, which is the sweet spot for a significant minority. I don’t mind that most aim for an average size, but the odd one I could actually wear is appreciated!

It’s also a factor that some revivals look best in their original proportions, make them larger and you start having to change the whole design. Logos become visible across a room, and acres of empty space appear on the dial. As an example, the Rolex Oyster Perpetual 41 has very little in common with its vintage ancestors.

Blog Entries
    Looks good to me. Still abstaining for now. I wonder if discounts can be had in the European market? Great size - without a bezel it looks superb.

The date position is a non-issue for me and gives a balance to the quadrants that would be spoiled otherwise.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    That’s the problem for me - what we all need is a range of sizes for different people, but almost every watch aims for ‘the norm’, a median size. Which is sensible up to a point as that should result in the most sales, but in a brand’s collection it doesn’t make sense as they’re all the same. You end up with vanishingly few in 38mm, which is the sweet spot for a significant minority. I don’t mind that most aim for an average size, but the odd one I could actually wear is appreciated!

It’s also a factor that some revivals look best in their original proportions, make them larger and you start having to change the whole design. Logos become visible across a room, and acres of empty space appear on the dial. As an example, the Rolex Oyster Perpetual 41 has very little in common with its vintage ancestors.
    Point taken.

Master
    The interesting question , over many years, is why is the Daytona so popular? No rival has been as successful. And I doubt that the ‘secret’ can be reduced just to size. Do even Rolex understand this phenomena? No wonder they seem reluctant to tinker with the case size,

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    The interesting question , over many years, is why is the Daytona so popular? No rival has been as successful. And I doubt that the ‘secret’ can be reduced just to size. Do even Rolex understand this phenomena? No wonder they seem reluctant to tinker with the case size,
    I’m sure the late 70’s and 80’s Daytona’s we’re 37/38mm case size. But modern 40mm Rolex sports watches seem to appeal to the vast majority.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    I don’t think it has. Almost immediately before the ceramic Daytona you could pick them up for circa 6k second hand. And I may be wrong but they were reasonably easy to get from an AD

Master
    Bumping this as I've not spotted any pics posted yet and wondering if anyone took the plunge?

I haven’t nosed around shops in central London for many months now, is there a watch shop (I think they are called boutiques, salons or ADs these days?) in London that normally has a pretty good selection of Zeniths? I’d like to take a peek at the 38mm Original. There’s a shop that sells Zeniths in Kingston, but the display is never impressive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BillyCasper; 22nd January 2022 at 11:46.