closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Frustrating or what…..

Master

Frustrating or what…..

About a week ago my new Daytona 116509 arrived with the AD. Lovely, but the gold bracelet was too tight to wear for very long. The AD ordered an extra link but since then…nothing. No link has arrived from Rolex, and I’m left with a new watch I can’t wear.
    This would seem a good description of ‘frustrating’. All I can do is wait, helplessly. While the watch sits in its box. Such is life.
    Last edited by paskinner; 30th June 2021 at 13:18.

Probably assumed you wouldn’t be wearing it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    About a week
    ago my new Daytona 116509 arrived with the AD. Lovely, but the gold bracelet was too tight to wear for very long. The AD ordered an extra link but since then…nothing. No link has arrived from Rolex, and I’m left with a new watch I can’t wear.
    This would seem a good description of ‘frustrating’. All I can do is wait, helplessly. While the watch sits in its box. Such is life.
    Did they provide you with a full length bracelet ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Probably assumed you wouldn’t be wearing it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MFB Scotland View Post
    Did they provide you with a full length bracelet ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    What’s the definition of a ‘full length’ gold Rolex bracelet? I’m not sure, but even years ago, it wasn’t over generous. And as a link costs around £500 (I think) you can see the issue.
    It’s a personal thing, but I prefer a ‘loose’ fit, especially on a warm day.
    Last edited by paskinner; 30th June 2021 at 13:37.

What's the lug width? I can chuck you a NATO in the post.

Master
    When spending that much, they should really ensure the watch fits your wrist - even if that means them buying a new link and sucking up the cost

Master
    ‘Sucking up the cost’….we’re talking about Rolex.

Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    When spending that much, they should really ensure the watch fits your wrist - even if that means them buying a new link and sucking up the cost
    They used to. Two free links max (unsure on PM models) but stopped it a few years ago.

OP, I didn't think you had thigh wrists. Maybe the Daytona comes with less links?

Master
    Yep - the arrogance that they can sell you a watch that doesn’t fit you, and you have to say thank you

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    No you’re not, you’re talking about a shop who sold you a watch, not the manufacturer….

Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    Yep - the arrogance that they can sell you a watch that doesn’t fit you, and you have to say thank you
    Yes-I really hope the new link arrives fully stickered.

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    No you’re not, you’re talking about a shop who sold you a watch, not the manufacturer….
    But presumably Rolex ship the watches out without enough links so mugs have to buy a new one? Whether that's the shop or the customer, someone is still paying Rolex to supply that link.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    How many links are in the bracelet currently?

As far as I am aware- precious metal Daytona should come with same number of links as a regular Daytona-I think 11 and a half link. If it is less probably the AD kept one or two for himself.

Master
    Slightly trickier than it sounds, depending on counting the fixed end links.I make it Thirteen plus the two end links.
    I’m surprised at some of the general reaction. Solid gold is always expensive, and Rolex have, in my experience over a number of years, been ‘sparing’. But anyone can negotiate.
    Come to think of it, I haven’t got the new link, and haven’t , yet, been quoted a bill. We’l see.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    As far as I am aware- precious metal Daytona should come with same number of links as a regular Daytona-I think 11 and a half link. If it is less probably the AD kept one or two for himself.
    My AD is an honest man, I’m sure of that. No question at all. how you ‘count’ can depend on what you count.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    IIRC count is 12 exc end and easy link

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    IIRC count is 12 exc end and easy link
    I take that as the same, thanks. My initial complaint was at the difficulty of getting an extra link, not the general number.

A week doesn't sound long to be getting frustrated about to me.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I take that as the same, thanks. My initial complaint was at the difficulty of getting an extra link, not the general number.
    If its coming from Switzerland and not held in stock, as pm links sometimes aren't then complain at the new customs regime for importing from the EU.
    That isnt a Rolex issue.

How loose do you like it?
    With average size wrists and a complete bracelet, it would still be very loose. Any more links and it will slip off your wrist!

Master
    How loose do you like it?
    With average size wrists and a complete bracelet, it would still be very loose. Any more links and it will slip off your wrist!
    Well, yes. I seem to like a really loose bracelet, which can slide up and down the wrist, and could be spun round the wrist. The sheer weight makes the watch jiggle about on the wrist.
    Sounds dreadful I know, but somehow I like it. Can’t stand anything tight. Especially on a warm day. It’s just me,

Have you tried adjusting the clasp position to the loosest of the three settings and opening the easy-link?

Didn’t you know from last time that you’d need one?

Master
    put it on a strap ?

No, standard length is more than 11 and I've never seen a half link, Raj.

Slightly trickier than it sounds, depending on counting the fixed end links.I make it Thirteen plus the two end links.
    That sounds about right.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    and I've never seen a half link.
    Half links exist for both the 20,21 &22mm oysters (have a couple in my desk in front of me).
    Only for the sub mind, not gmt/daytona

no idea about PM, but you'd assume the same?
    Last edited by endo; 30th June 2021 at 17:38.

Frustrating or what…..

The steel sports models I owned always needed all the links fitted - they’d fit straight out of the box with the micro adjust maxed out in the summer, one hole in for winter. However I do remember needing an extra link for the only 2-tone Rolex I ever owned, a blue faced sub date (it was the 90’s, made me feel like a pimp) - so maybe they skimp on the links with the precious metal models?
    For the record the AD gave me the link for free, I think it was Mappin & Webb - this was back in the days there was always a 2 tone sub in the window so they probably kept a few links in stock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I get the frustration with a new watch!

Did they give you any rough timescales at the time?

I wonder whether a white gold link for this would have to come from Switzerland or whether Rolex UK would stock this? I’m guessing there over 100 AD’s still in the uk so you could assume they have a fair amount of inventory. Naivety on my part maybe.

Master
    Not sure the fact that you can't spin the watch around your wrist makes the watch unwearable as stated in the OP.

Frustrating or what…..

As it’s a gold bracelet just wear it, it will stretch into a baggy mess within 24hrs!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Well, yes. I seem to like a really loose bracelet, which can slide up and down the wrist, and could be spun round the wrist. The sheer weight makes the watch jiggle about on the wrist.
    Sounds dreadful I know, but somehow I like it. Can’t stand anything tight. Especially on a warm day. It’s just me,
    Its not, Im the same. I wear bracelets so I can *almost* spin the head right around my wrist but not quite.