closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The timepiece gentleman vanishes

The timepiece gentleman vanishes

If you watch YouTube you may be familiar with these grey watch dealers - extravagant lifestyle,customers funding their expansion via a $2k subscription,fast cars and expensive restaurants.Well they appear to have vanished and a lot of people had consigned their watches with them.Last few episodes showed disagreement with the 2 main guys,a terrible system for accounting(cover up for now?) It will be interesting to find out the true story.....?

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk
    Last edited by amcneill; 30th June 2021 at 08:22.

Oh dear. Can’t imagine why you would place your watch with them but sounds like it’s very unlikely those watches will reappear again.

Craftsman
    Must admit I’d sit and watch their channel. Found it very amusing. Always thought something doesn’t add up though

Not looking good and if it turns out the latest ‘drama’ was to attention seek to promote a relaunch i think it will fall very flat…

As soon as the $ 2000 ‘become a VIP’ …donation was announced and the pole dancer appeared It quickly went South…..

How they thought they could run a ‘shop’ without any software / accounting system to reconcile purchases, sales and payments or perform bank reconciliations is mind bending, using a (sweetshop) spreadsheet at that level bizarre…..and no sign of stock checks ?….

I do hope for those who trusted them with their watches or invested don’t get burned and somehow they reappear and tidy things up…

Also hope the have not burned their early investor as people who charge 15% on big chunks undoubtedly have decent collection processes….

Master
    I’ve watched their channel - always taken it with a pinch of salt as it never really stacked up, but it was quite entertaining until recently. Amazed that people were handing over $2,000 to basically pay for a $2,000,0000 store fit out in return for membership to a FB group to get supposedly cheaper watches. Not sure how many joined. They seemed to have a lot of watches on consignment so I hope all those people get them back.

Master
    It was pretty obvious that the guy has a history of major criminality. I mean, would you have trusted money to an ex-jailbird. Funny to watch given all the preening and display.

For regular viewers of the show you may remember Anthony walking through an airport alongside other passengers and trying to buy this guys LV bag - guy says no and he tries to talk him around with no luck.That really stood out as strange.

Craftsman
    I don't watch the YouTube channel, but i've been loosely following what's happening and the whole thing is crazy. Collecting $2m in $2000 "donations" to build out their store, in return for access to a Facebook group which promises the investor materially nothing? Lunacy. Frankly a lot of it comes down to Rolex supply/demand, I don't think "TPG" would have existed without the dynamics we're seeing with Rolex today.

Master
    Everything about them looked dodgy af

What Happened to Gentleman Timepieces
    Last edited by J J Carter; 30th June 2021 at 08:56.

Archie has popped up

https://youtu.be/9GZPY-uzSgE

Given that their faces are known in HD and their names are known I have no doubt they will turn up at the bottom of a river somewhere. Sound a right pair of cretins. With millions of $ of consignment inventory how are they going to shift it though?

Interesting, I do not think it will reflect very well on any pre-owned dealers associated with them or the pre-owned watch industry in general.

Looks like all their Chrono24 listings have been removed.

I can really see this being a marketing stunt gone completely wrong. Anthony's a showman, would he really want to give up the limelight?

Master
    ‘Do not stop, go straight to jail.’ The only way this will end. A lot of people may lose their possessions.

Craftsman
    I always liked Marco he seemed like a cool guy very knowledgeable and passionate about vintage Rolex ,Anthony always came across as a douchbag .A lot of new grey dealers have sprung up in the last few years due to the difficulty of getting many watches from AD

Sent from my moto g(8) power using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Mexican riviera gentleman?

Craftsman
    As others have said it’s not really a surprise. I haven’t watched any of the more recent ones - did they ever sign the lease on the big new premises?

Master
    The theory that they are pulling some kind of PR stunt is out of the question now as it’s all over every social media platform and their reputation is shot to bits.

Master
    I didn’t watch much but I remember them saying they were generally happy to make 1-2k on a watch. Seemed very low compared to Watch Finder etc

I ignore all the YouTube channels / Instagram dealers with the exception of Tim Mosso and maybe Jenni Elle.

As soon as you are publicly blowing cash on luxury products away from your core business of watches, the business is doomed. Not that I watch Archie, but I understand he called out this behaviour by TPG in April. And who would sell a watch on consignment and have it no longer in your possession?

The whole flaunting of a wannabe luxury lifestyle is just incredibly distasteful

D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    They told Archie they would pay him to advertise on his fridge. And then they didn’t and he blew his lid.

He is every bit as much a fraud as they are really and would sell his soul for a 5er online.

No-one from the $2,000 VIP club is posting with outrage.
    No-one that has a watch on consignment with them is posting with outrage.

I'm still leaning towards a publicity stunt, a poor one at that.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Mexican riviera gentleman?
    :D don't think Anthony is allowed to leave the country as a convicted felon... but maybe he did anyway? :P

I quite enjoy watching their show, although it started becoming less and less about watches and more about "flexing". I can't help but feel this is all part of a publicity stunt, only to re-launch with a new brand and location. If that's the case, they need to do it soon, as they must be close to irreversible damage to the company now.

It's all very strange.

Master
    Assume 1000 mugs paid the $2,000 to become 'associates' = $2M
    Multi $M of watches to be sold on consignment, either sold for untraceable bitcoin or taken
    Watches supplied by other dealers but not yet paid also taken
    Fake super-clone Rolex sold to punters?

Could be a $10M to $15M scam
    Last edited by J J Carter; 30th June 2021 at 16:22.

Craftsman
    But how can these people now carry on with normal lives. Every man and their dog will be after them

Maybe they’ll move to Nigeria

I knew this guy was no Teddy Baldassarre

12hrs on.
    Doing a runner in this day and age seems a bit silly. Build up your social media image and then try to go incognito. It’s not like he’s a 70 yo guy with a few years left either; he can’t go into hiding for 4 decades +.
    Perhaps they got held up by some organised crime network. If I were mafia boss, these guys would look a like relatively easy hit.

Craftsman
    Says the video is private

See link below. It was posted on YouTube 5 days ago and at the same time as The Timepiece Gentlemen’s last video, and well before it all kicked off today. Someone knew something was up?

https://youtu.be/87rTr1NjI5o

I’ve been watching their videos for a few months. If this turns out to be a scam, it’s a beautiful scam.
    Last edited by noTAGlove; 30th June 2021 at 23:37.

How anyone could look at them, listen to them for no more than 30 seconds, and not place had firmly over wallet as one backs slowly away is beyond me.

Roman Sharf, Adrian, Nico, Watch Eric and Paul Thorpe had a live last night where Roman got a text from the TPG but he couldn't read it out, really seems like a stunt.

Austin Daniels (youtube) has reported a court case against them due to non payment of merchandise(t-shirts,caps?) $100k.Seems a large amount but we are talking about the American law system and lawyers fees.Start of many cases against them?

Only just heard about them. I watched about 10 minutes of their show - mildly entertaining if you like the dumbed down US 'wheeler dealer' shows in the style of Pawn Stars I guess.

What I can never fathom is how anyone can sit through more than 20 seconds of the likes of Archie Luxury, Paul Thorpe or any of the youtubers mentioned above. They seem to take a subject that could be described in 1 minute and span it out to 10 minutes. It's like watching paint dry, but more irritating!

Master
    The dealers involved have shown themselves in a strikingly poor light; hinting that it’s all a ‘stunt’ while apparently oblivious to deep worry by customers. Having watched, I would not deal with any off them, sorry, but common sense comes into play. Customers first, always, not dealers.
    It’s not some sort of ‘game’ with other peoples hard-earned money.
    Last edited by paskinner; 1st July 2021 at 11:05.

I’ve only just heard about them and watched a few of their latest videos. Which after about 10 minutes are boring as anything.

The whole I must have this latest shiny thing really put me off and highlights a lot of issues with the market at the moment. I really don’t think most people are buying because it’s something they love and cherish.

They obviously know their stuff about watches but bugger all about running a business. For Christ sake not having a proper inventory/accounting system beggars belief especially when you factor in the ££ of stuff they are buying/selling.

The suggestion to run all of that off a WhatsApp group was just hilarious.

I feel sorry for anyone who sent them watches on consignment.

Cheers, Shaun

Geoblocked to EU sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug86 View Post
    Geoblocked to EU sadly.
    Its an interview with Anthony’s lawyer but it basically just says it’s most likely a PR stunt and people should calm down.

Master
    Adrian has called it as a PR stunt - It's OBVIOUS what happened to Timepiece Gentleman!

Apparently they’re ‘giving back’ to the society. Load of crock if you ask me. Now if they started selling their inventory at RRP that would be doing the society some good.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by 893bet View Post
    They told Archie they would pay him to advertise on his fridge. And then they didn’t and he blew his lid.

He is every bit as much a fraud as they are really and would sell his soul for a 5er online.
    yea, archie was co-labbing with them and as soon as the fridge advert money never came he went wild. now hes making loads of vids about them and wallowing in the whole drama

Quote Originally Posted by J J Carter View Post
    Adrian has called it as a PR stunt - It's OBVIOUS what happened to Timepiece Gentleman!
    This guy is probably the most watchable vlogger, but he's got a very strange affected delivery style. It eventually gets hard to watch.

https://youtu.be/siCLtuzUdec

Their lawyer has been interviewed….

Master
    Maybe a left-field suggestion, by I reckon TTG was ultimately the creation of the big Swiss brands such as Rolex, AP and PP.

Who wants to make the grey market dealers look bad and scare punters back to the ADs?
    Who is sick of their company being defined by a couple of pieces such the Royal Oak or 5711 trading at crazy multiples of RRP
    Who has the cash reserves to create TTG from nothing and get such as social media presence?
    Who could provide TTG with their initial stock of high-end pieces?

Quote Originally Posted by J J Carter View Post
    Maybe a left-field suggestion, by I reckon TTG was ultimately the creation of the big Swiss brands such as Rolex, AP and PP.

Who wants to make the grey market dealers look bad and scare punters back to the ADs?
    Who is sick of their company being defined by a couple of pieces such the Royal Oak or 5711 trading at crazy multiples of RRP
    Who has the cash reserves to create TTG from nothing and get such as social media presence?
    Who could provide TTG with their initial stock of high-end pieces?
    Yes! This! But there's more to this story...

Who wants it to LOOK like we landed on the moon? Omega
    Who wants us to THINK there's the same amount of time in every day? COSC
    Who wants us to BELIEVE trousers should extend beyond the ankle? Longines

The Swiss have a lot to answer for

Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    I ignore all the YouTube channels / Instagram dealers with the exception of Tim Mosso and maybe Jenni Elle.

As soon as you are publicly blowing cash on luxury products away from your core business of watches, the business is doomed. Not that I watch Archie, but I understand he called out this behaviour by TPG in April. And who would sell a watch on consignment and have it no longer in your possession?

The whole flaunting of a wannabe luxury lifestyle is just incredibly distasteful

D

Word. Almost the biggest shame in all the distasteful ness is the pall that these channels &c spread across otherwise bona fide brands, particularly I suppose Rolex, Patek and Journe.