closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Replacement phone ideas - iPhone alternatives

Replacement phone ideas - iPhone alternatives

Hi,

I'm looking to replace my iPhone 7 - it's doing my head in. Battery life is terrible, despite 83% battery health, and I've never liked the keyboard.

To be honest, while I appreciate the design, function etc, I've never really been an iPhone fan. I always preferred Blackberry and would go back to my Q10 tomorrow if it had the functionality and support. I miss a physical keyboard - which my daughter thinks is hilarious and thinks I'm the only one in the country!

I'm not a heavy phone user - occasional calls, text and WhatsApp, Tapatalk of course , BBC sounds and music streaming but very little internet browsing, video etc (my eyesight isn't good enough!)

Happy to buy or go second hand.

Can anyone make any suggestions? Is there anything different out there worth investigation?

Many thanks, Mark

Watch
    MrWhostheBoss on YouTube Aaron is good. Son just changed from iPhone to one Aaron recommended OnePlus or something android. He’s happy

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Replacement phone ideas - iPhone alternatives

Felt the same about my iPhone 7, in the end I changed it for an iPhone 11 and it’s a huge upgrade. The screen is much larger and more useable even though the phone is the same size, and the battery is a huge improvement. The iPhone 7 is quite an old phone now and they have really moved on tbh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by markl View Post
    Hi,

I'm looking to replace my iPhone 7 - it's doing my head in. Battery life is terrible, despite 83% battery health, and I've never liked the keyboard.

To be honest, while I appreciate the design, function etc, I've never really been an iPhone fan. I always preferred Blackberry and would go back to my Q10 tomorrow if it had the functionality and support. I miss a physical keyboard - which my daughter thinks is hilarious and thinks I'm the only one in the country!

I'm not a heavy phone user - occasional calls, text and WhatsApp, Tapatalk of course , BBC sounds and music streaming but very little internet browsing, video etc (my eyesight isn't good enough!)

Happy to buy or go second hand.

Can anyone make any suggestions? Is there anything different out there worth investigation?

Many thanks, Mark
    Just for your information, your battery is dead, probably struggle to last 2 hours. An Apple centre will put a new one in for £49, and you'll have a like-new, keyboard-less phone (at least from a battery point of view).
    I know it doesn't solve your initial request but it gives you a basis for comparison between the solutions that will be offered, and their cost.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Just for your information, your battery is dead, probably struggle to last 2 hours. An Apple centre will put a new one in for £49, and you'll have a like-new, keyboard-less phone (at least from a battery point of view).
    I know it doesn't solve your initial request but it gives you a basis for comparison between the solutions that will be offered, and their cost.
    83% and the battery is dead !?!?

Makes sense - as I said I’m not a heavy user and I’m charging it 3 times a day!

Thanks for the information.

I've never owned an apple product so I can't comment on that side but an android phone will serve the requirements you listed.

I have a pixel 5 which, bang Vs buck, I believe is the best Android phone on the market.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Motorola, One Plus, good mid priced phones. I'm using a OnePlus 6T bought from eBay. Blazing fast, great camera, long lasting battery. Android 11 in September.

I just upgraded from a Samsung Note 8 to the new Note 20 Ultra 5G. Love the 6.9" display!

Quote Originally Posted by r.dawson View Post
    I've never owned an apple product so I can't comment on that side but an android phone will serve the requirements you listed.

I have a pixel 5 which, bang Vs buck, I believe is the best Android phone on the market.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    Pixel 5 user here also. I bought it upon release in October(?) and to date have never had the battery run out on me. As I type this, the phone has 9% battery left which will last beyond 1pm easily, and it was last on charge overnight on Saturday. When I've not used the phone much I've had nearly over 40 hours life from a single charge.

The phone is also also a respectable size. It fits nicely in my pocket and doesn't weigh too much.

I'd happily recommended it. of if you want to save a few pennies, the Pixel 4a 5G is a good alternative.

There are so many great spec phone's on the market now, but some of us prefer smaller phones which slip easily into a shirt pocket or the pocket of a pair of shorts, for me that's rather limiting to phones with a screen size of about 5".
    Last edited by number2; 28th June 2021 at 10:44.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

The two best phones you can get (all things considered) are any iPhone or a Pixel 5.

You should probably just replace the battery and then change your stock keyboard to something like SwiftKey or Gboard.

New BlackBerry on the way this year if you're brave https://www.techradar.com/news/blackberry-5g-2021

I just changed mine [iPhone 8] at 82%, and a 15 minutes phone call reduced the charge from 98 to 52%. I know it sounds absurd to say 80% = 0% but it is all relative (just like "battery health", which doesn't mean much ); What I do know is that my phone is charged overnight for convenience, and lasted the best part of 3 years, so I expect another 3 years from it.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master

Thanks for the information.

You must have a problem if your a light user
    My X has a battery life of 73% - I’d say I’m pretty light on it but it still last a day

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    There are so many great spec phone's on the market now, but some of us prefer smaller phones which slip easily into a shit pocket or the pocket of a pair of shorts, for me that's rather limiting to phones with a screen size of about 5".
    You might want to amend that or did you mean if you were visiting people in prison

Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    You might want to amend that or did you mean if you were visiting people in prison
    Oops now amended

Not usually very bothered about phones but I absolutely love the Samsung Z Flip my wife bought me just over a year ago. It folds down to such a handy size to slip into the pocket but offers a very good screen size unfolded. The only drawback really is the rather steep price. I'm not a heavy user for phone calls but use it quite a lot for browsing the internet.

Blog Entries
    There are so many great spec phone's on the market now, but some of us prefer smaller phones which slip easily into a shirt pocket or the pocket of a pair of shorts, for me that's rather limiting to phones with a screen size of about 5".
    This. Bought the iPhone SE2 and it’s the biggest I’d go to I think. Had the SE before it and did prefer it for size really.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Depending on how much you want to spend, the iPhone X is still a great phone.
    Unlocked NOS available for around £250.

Master
    Xiaomi MI 10T £289.99 A friend of mine bought the Pro version, same battery (5000mAh) and said each charge last over 2 days, but finds the phone a touch heavy 219g 10 Pro 216g 10T
    https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/bra...estore-3750864

Redmi Note 10 Pro £249
    https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/xia...omi-uk-3743491

Xiaomi MI 10 Note Lite £209
    https://www.mi.com/uk/buy/product/mi-note-10-lite

Redmi Note 10S £179
    https://www.mi.com/uk/redmi-note-10s/overview

Poco X3 Pro £179
    https://www.mi.com/uk/buy/product/poco-x3-pro

Craftsman
    Keep an eye on the hot deals. If it's really hot, do some quick research. https://www.hotukdeals.com/tag/mobile-phone-hot

I recently bought Oppo A52 for $220 in Aus using this method: follow the crowd. Phones are so complicated nowadays I look to see what the experts are suggesting, same with buying PCs.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanST150 View Post
    Pixel 5 user here also. I bought it upon release in October(?) and to date have never had the battery run out on me. As I type this, the phone has 9% battery left which will last beyond 1pm easily, and it was last on charge overnight on Saturday. When I've not used the phone much I've had nearly over 40 hours life from a single charge.

The phone is also also a respectable size. It fits nicely in my pocket and doesn't weigh too much.

I'd happily recommended it. of if you want to save a few pennies, the Pixel 4a 5G is a good alternative.
    Went from an iPhone to a pixel 4a and love it, perfect size for me and battery lasts much better than the iphone, added to that in am loving android 12 beta that the phone is running.

Craftsman
    Alternatively just buy an apple battery case for your 7 if you don’t want the inconvenience of a phone battery change. I’ve just upgraded my wife to a 12 mini as she prefers a smaller phone. Seems pretty good so far though you need to budget to buy a MagSafe case, 20w charger and MagSafe connector.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

This is also the main deciding factor for me also. I've had 2 sony xperia phones on the bounce now as their screen size is spot on for a phone the fits into a pocket

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    This is also the main deciding factor for me also. I've had 2 sony xperia phones on the bounce now as their screen size is spot on for a phone the fits into a pocket

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk
    Yeah I agree, I've been using Xperia compacts ever since the Z1 compact, currently have the XZ1 Compact and struggling to see what my next option is.

My 6.9" Samsung Note fits my pockets fine. If they made one with an 8" display I'd snap it up in a heartbeat!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I absolutely swear by the Samsung galaxy S8/S9 can be had fairly cheaply, in fact I just sold one recently on sc for 75 IIRC. I like the plus as the screen is bigger and I watch Netflix on it in bed at night.

Wouldnt go back to iPhones and I had them for years.

Craftsman
    Good site for comparing phones, https://www.kimovil.com/en/. Bear in mind Android phones are mostly using the same OS, plus manufacturers pick components from the same mix.

Here's my new bugbear: screen protectors. My Oppo A52 came with a factory fitted screen protector and a lovely fitting transparent case. Daughter in NY has just bought the latest Samsung courtesy of the firm's expense account and she has had to purchase a protector and case. I have always hated fitting a screen protector as I always make a mess of it.

Craftsman
    You can buy glass screen protectors with a fitting frame now which make it a lot easier. Syncwire do one on Amazon that I can recommend.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app