closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Turkish Barbers

Journeyman

Turkish Barbers

I heard about Turkish barbers from my brother who is a regular customer.

I went to my local Turkish barbers a few months ago for a beard trim.
    A guy in the chair before me was having his nose hairs removed by putting 3 cotton buds coated in wax up each nostril.
    When the wax is dry the barber yanks the cotton buds out.
    With each nostril giving up what looked like a Christmas tree of nose hairs.

I had a beard trim then the 3 cotton buds up each nostril and the same in each ear.
    Once yanked out he covered my ears in a flammable liquid then set them on fire.

But joking aside, fantastic service, fantastic beard trim and hairless nose and ears.

If you have one nearby , I reccomend a visit.

Grand Master
    That hairs in your nose for a reason
    RIAC

Master
    Turkish barbers introduced me to eyebrow trimming. And the speed at which it happened I didn't have much choice in the matter either. 😁

Hate going to the barbers for this reason. You pop in nowadays and everyone is getting treatments instead of a haircut.

The monthly Saturday trip with my son takes more than twice as long as it used to while people get pointless procedures and massages instead of a short back and sides.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post
    Hate going to the barbers for this reason. You pop in nowadays and everyone is getting treatments instead of a haircut.

The monthly Saturday trip with my son takes more than twice as long as it used to while people get pointless procedures and massages instead of a short back and sides.
    Bring back National Service , that'll knock it out of em!

Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post

It's very 'metrosexual'

You should try it.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I can't stand getting my hair cut because I can't be doing with crap chit chat (not a dig at hairdressers, just me not being very social).

Turkish barbers are a god send, never waiting around for more than 10 minutes, quick run of the clippers, snip a bit of the hair on top, have your ears set on fire, eyebrows tidied up and maybe a shave if I feel like it. No conversation, 10 quid. Perfect.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Prefer a Greek barber personally although Turkish cypriots are very good.

Proper Turkish barbers just give you whatever they want to give you, doesn't matter what you ask for. Between that, waxing and hot towels it's not for me.

Half of them aren’t even Turkish, I give them a wide berth.

I wasn't a fan until recently.
    Moved to a new area and tried it. Not looked back since, great service.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Master
    My normal barbers is an Iranian place that I go to.
    Get on well with the wee fella and he's very quick with the scissors.
    Last time I was in I ended up with a Algerian bloke-not a youngster and probably about 50.
    Anyhow he was in the middle of Ramadan and were having a chat about that. It obviously put him at ease as within the next 5 mins he was telling me how the twin towers was a set up and no way the planes brought the buildings down and it was a set up.
    Interesting way to engage with your customers I thought but probably not a business builder in a white middle class enclave.
    The haircut was decent and I left him a reasonable tip for having the decency of at least being entertaining.

I went in to one in the back streets of Istanbul. I felt i looked like George Clooney with a moustache when I came out.

Mind you, I also went into a barbers in the back streets of Luxor. I came out looking like Rosemary Clooney (with a moustache).

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    It obviously put him at ease as within the next 5 mins he was telling me how the twin towers was a set up and no way the planes brought the buildings down and it was a set up.
    Interesting way to engage with your customers I thought but probably not a business builder in a white middle class enclave.
    Had a similar experience once at my barbers when my usual guy wasn't around. The guy was giving big chat about eugenics and a new world order. He thinks white people are going to go extinct because all over races are "outbreeding us". Absolutely mental and haven't sat in his chair since.

A guy who measured us up for shutters last week was telling me to watch Ben Shaperio videos and bragging he'd just come from a job where he charged triple because it was in Chelsea and they had Banham door locks. Very WTF.

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    That hairs in your nose for a reason
    I agree, a simple trim should suffice :-).

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.d...my-fingers/amp
    Last edited by Mr Tetley; 29th June 2021 at 10:20.

"Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Master
    Actually popped in to my local Turkish today, didn’t have a lot of time so just wanted a neck and side trim, he actually had to ask his boss what to charge for it as they just don’t do that little usually.🙈😂

3 of the 4 barbers in our high street are Turkish and I’ve found them hit and miss - sometimes a superb cut and other times it feels I am an unwitting participant in the fella’s unsupervised on-the-job training

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    My normal barbers is an Iranian place that I go to.
    Get on well with the wee fella and he's very quick with the scissors.
    Last time I was in I ended up with a Algerian bloke-not a youngster and probably about 50.
    Anyhow he was in the middle of Ramadan and were having a chat about that. It obviously put him at ease as within the next 5 mins he was telling me how the twin towers was a set up and no way the planes brought the buildings down and it was a set up.
    The haircut was decent and I left him a reasonable tip for having the decency of at least being entertaining.
    Widely understood that they were demolished and dropped, not brought down by planes. But that goes against popular belief.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

The first time I went to a Turkish barber was in Bodrum, it was brilliant, as someone said earlier he just did what he wanted, but I felt great when I came out. I go to a local one here and just get a normal haircut plus the ear thing

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshiremadmick View Post
    Widely understood that they were demolished and dropped, not brought down by planes. But that goes against popular belief.

Yeah the extensive video recordings of the planes hitting the buildings was all a mirage.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    Yeah the extensive video recordings of the planes hitting the buildings was all a mirage.
    Mirages were a bit small to bring the building down, pretty sure the were Boeing’s. Plus the French are supposed to be the yanks friends.

(Sorry cr@p plane joke)

I miss the Turkish barbers where we used to live (think the guy was cypriot who cut my hair).

I moved house in November to a place renowned for the number of beauty salons, hairdressers, nailbars and barbers. Great, I thought, there are 6 or 7 barber shops all within walking distance. I've done 3 now...all Brits, all dreadful. I'm amazed that each barber I've been to totally ignores what you say. I ask for a number 1 back and sides...at best the clipper length is a 3.

In the neigbouring area there is a Turkish barber that cuts all the premiership footballers. Pictures of "Barber King" cutting the likes of Cristiano Ronaldo etc. Problem is, I think your average punter gets the apprentice in the shop as some of the google reviews are pretty dreadful.
    Last edited by Christian; 3rd July 2021 at 15:29.

£10 gets you all you need on most inc your nostrils done

Clippers and fades are not easy
    I love it

Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    Clippers and fades are not easy
    I love it
    Are you a Turkish barber?

Had quite a few in Turkey over the years. Best bit was when they brought out the DustBuster and hoovered your head!

Master
    So many ‘Turkish Barbers’ springing up around me I’m beginning to think there are none left in Turkey! I don’t have enough hair left to need to visit, just run the bare clippers around the head once a week and use a nasal trimmer* maybe every couple of months or so.

*Ears and beak.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    So many ‘Turkish Barbers’ springing up around me I’m beginning to think there are none left in Turkey! I don’t have enough hair left to need to visit, just run the bare clippers around the head once a week and use a nasal trimmer* maybe every couple of months or so.

*Ears and beak.
    Some of them have a dodgy reputation around here.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Turkish Barbers

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Some of them have a dodgy reputation around here.

M
    For what? Poor hair cutting?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    3 of the 4 barbers in our high street are Turkish and I’ve found them hit and miss - sometimes a superb cut and other times it feels I am an unwitting participant in the fella’s unsupervised on-the-job training

I had the same experience with the one I used.to go to before covid. Thankfully covid made me learn to cut my own hair and I don't have to go to a barber anymore.

Also the old fire stick to burn the hairs off your ears I thought was just a gimmick. Never really got all the hairs off but just singed them. Cheap nose and hair trimmer works a lot better.

Last August I was trying out a s/h Schneider Curtagon shift lens in Stamford ... when these Turkish? barbers saw me photographing their new salon they asked for a group photo ... so i obliged

There are at least two Turkish barbers in Stamford. I emailed the pics to them but no 'Thank you' was received.

dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 5th July 2021 at 23:43.
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

A few years ago I popped into my regular barbers in South West London and my normal Turkish barber was busy. His colleague cut my hair and I was amazed as he used his scissors to give me a close trim without using clippers at all. The owner of the barbers explained he had recently arrived in the UK from Iraq, where there had been no power for extended period so he’d taught himself how to use scissors as clippers. He had amazing skills and I never felt in danger of being cut, never seen another barber before or since.

Grand Master
    A little knowledge for a Tuesday on Barbers Poles

https://www.history.com/.amp/news/wh...white-and-blue
    RIAC