closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fear of quartz

Fear of quartz

Not like a phobia, but I find I am always pre-occupied by the battery running out.
    I worry about taking one away where I may not be able to replace the battery, and it runs out.

I know, stupid - and an automatic could potentially stop working, more prone to knocks causing issues etc etc but I have ended up flipping some lovely pieces because of this.

I had an X-33, and am looking at re-buying one, but keep stumbling on this bloody battery bit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Master
    Most quartz ‘s have an end of life indicator
    Unless you were really off the beaten track for quite a while not a lot to worry about really

I don’t fear the battery running out while I’m away, but my watches often go unworn for long periods, and I don’t like the thought of them going flat and sitting for months with a flat battery.

Grand Master
    Sensible answer is to replace the battery more frequently before it runs out.....problem solved!

I went to put my JSAR on yesterday and the EOL was showing
    It’s a job for me to do tonight. I don’t mind changing the batteries when needed, I put a bit of silicon grease on the gaskets to help ensure water is kept out as best as possible, most of my watches never see water anyway so it’s not an issue for me.
    I do have to send a SUN23 back to seiko to replace the capacitor. (Packing it up is another job for this evening) I don’t want to do this one myself as I need it pressure tested correctly as it’s my holiday watch.
    Still seiko have quote £30 to do it for me so it’s well worth the effort.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 28th June 2021 at 12:03.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Still seiko have quite £30 to do it for me so it’s well worth the effort.
    A no brainer, they'll pressure test it also is my experience.

Master
    Strangely I get a sense of for-filament from a battery change - like new tyres on a car(weird?)
    I believe the silicone is more to stop the gasket kinking

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    I believe the silicone is more to stop the gasket kinking
    Yep it is but stopping it kinking means water is less likely to enter the case, it also helps repel moisture. Either way worth the effort

Master
    I recently had the end of battery life indicator (second hand jumping a few seconds at a time) on an Omega Aqua Terra quartz. It goes on for quite a while, I’m not sure how many weeks but there’s no real danger of getting caught out.

I was surprised to hear from the AD that it was five years since it last needed a change.

Grand Master
    Silicone grease is applied very sparingly to caseback gaskets to reduce friction between the rubber and the caseback as the back is being screwed down, depending on the design it will safeguard against kinking. It will render the seal more hydrophobic but its role isn`t primarily to improve water resistance.

There's a lot of mystique surrounding 'resealing' watches, if the gasket is in good condition and it's replaced correctly there's really nothing to worry about. It's usually obvious when there's likely to be a problem. Crown seals worry me a lot more, but they don`t get disturbed during a battery change so if the owner was happy prior to the caseback removal he should still be happy.

I went from everything mechanical to quartz bit by bit... A quartz watch might go dead every 2, 5 or 10 years but automatics would stop in 48 hours. Some go weeks without wearing and I can't have them all on winders.

That being said, I do favour solar quartz now, they really are no worries watches

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    I find I am always pre-occupied by the battery running out
    I had an X-33, and am looking at re-buying one, but keep stumbling on this bloody battery bit

the X-33 batteries are quite easy to change with the right screwdriver and some patience. Done mine two times now. So I would not worry.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Change the battery before you go away.

I have two quartz only, my fave swatch.
    Don't wear them often and when I do usually the batteries have run out...
    Not that much of a deal because I can buy some batteries on line and fit them myself, but it's a pain...
    I wait untill I go downtown to visit the watch shop.
    Once every quarter...
    I love solar quartz, it's the sht!

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Master
    Solar quartz is indeed the solution - I may be tempting fate but I've had some of mine for about ten years, and they're all going strong.

That won't help if you particularly want an X-33 of course. Interesting that none of the more expensive brands seem to offer one. Would be nice to see a solar Breitling or Omega.

Master
    Or buy a Solar or Kinetic one!
    Anyway, the entire world is full of places that can replace quartz batteries at a moments notice, unless you are determined to go Scuba Diving with it afterwards!

I usually check through my watches every six months or so, give them a wind and check the quartz's for EOL as I don't wear most of them from year to year.

Had to change the battery in a Seamaster yesterday.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
    Or buy a Solar or Kinetic one!
    Anyway, the entire world is full of places that can replace quartz batteries at a moments notice, unless you are determined to go Scuba Diving with it afterwards!
    I would stay away from Kinetic if your wear habits are anything like mine.
    My sole kinetic watch only gets worn on holidays as such it gets approx 4 weeks wear a year, unlike my other watches this is 2 weeks continuous wear at at a time. I don’t tend to touch it in between.
    This seriously degrades the life of the capacitor as they really need constant wear to keep them charged. If you allow the capacitor to go flat a few times it dies after a while.
    Mine has lasted about 5 years, so it offers no real benefit over a normal battery.
    It’s a cracking watch, robust, great lume, GMT, sapphire, 200m water resistance, comfortable rubber strap. But the kinetic capacitor quite a weakness if you use it like me.

Craftsman
    Not like a phobia, but I find I am always pre-occupied by the battery running out.
    I worry about taking one away where I may not be able to replace the battery, and it runs out.

I know, stupid - and an automatic could potentially stop working, more prone to knocks causing issues etc etc but I have ended up flipping some lovely pieces because of this.

I’m quite the opposite; I developed fear of automatic: primarily fragility (power tools, or simply dropping it onto a ceramic bathroom floor) but also magnetic effect of phones etc - also decided servicing costs are simply wasted money.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Don’t laugh, but my bank manager recently handed his Bond SMP over to Goldsmiths for a battery change. They charged him a king’s ransom and it took them three months.

Would a spring drive not solve the concern.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    Don’t laugh, but my bank manager recently handed his Bond SMP over to Goldsmiths for a battery change. They charged him a king’s ransom and it took them three months.
    Changed mine just a couple of weeks ago
    Untitled by biglewie, on Flickr

Changed mine just a couple of weeks ago
    Untitled by biglewie, on Flickr
    Fair play at attempting it wearing a baseball glove…

Chortle!

Master
    You’ve obviously not seen my hand 😂
    IMG_1614 by biglewie, on Flickr

I worry about everything but this is not something I have worried about but I could add it to my list!

You could take a second watch as a backup. As usually everyone carries a mobile phone, you have access to the correct time. Unless the battery dies on the phone!

Just make sure that you don't have too many quartz watches. One or two is enough.
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I can see the unpredictability of when its going to run out being a bit of a chewer, particularly if its being taken away as an only watch.
    Probably best to change battery annually if you know that they run to 2 years (usually)

Quote Originally Posted by prexelor View Post
    I worry about everything but this is not something I have worried about but I could add it to my list!

You could take a second watch as a backup. As usually everyone carries a mobile phone, you have access to the correct time. Unless the battery dies on the phone!
    A sun dial is the answer… unless it’s cloudy

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    LOL!

That's the watch I did.

BTW nice to see you around mate.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I have a fair few quartz and hummers. I tend to take the batteries out if they are not in any current rotation.

A sun dial is the answer… unless it’s cloudy
    Isn't sundial a member here? Not sure how understanding OP's family would be in taking a member from here on holiday as a backup.

I’m comfortable with my 2 quartz watches. I know their approximate battery life, and when last changed. I know how long the EOL indicator gives me. Taken in the round, I wouldn’t need a preventative battery change unless going away for a very long time.

Speaking of Quartz my Aerospace has flashed low battery.
    What’s the thoughts on these are they an easy do it yourself job? Or are they a back to Breitling?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sent my Aerospace to Duncan on here for a new battery. I was tempted to do myself but thought better of it.

I got put off sending it to Breitling as there has been a few stories on this forum on them demanding a fuller service.

Cheers, Shaun

Craftsman
    i’m like you always go auto

Craftsman
    I just change the batteries myself once the EOL indicator shows saves any hassle of them stopping

Quote Originally Posted by woodacre1983 View Post
    Speaking of Quartz my Aerospace has flashed low battery.
    What’s the thoughts on these are they an easy do it yourself job? Or are they a back to Breitling?

I did mine a few months back and it was surprisingly easy.

Is there something different with the X33? If not you only need the right tool to open and close the back, changing batteries is pretty easy on a regular quartz watch. The X33 is not even watertight or anything like that, so that's one less thing to worry about..

Quote Originally Posted by sjedwardz View Post
    I sent my Aerospace to Duncan on here for a new battery. I was tempted to do myself but thought better of it.

I got put off sending it to Breitling as there has been a few stories on this forum on them demanding a fuller service.

Cheers, Shaun
    Thanks for this. I just rang Duncan and he declined saying it’s a watch he can’t do or can’t get parts to re seal. Told me no independents he knows would be able to get the parts.

at least it gives you a reason to buy new in case no battery replacement is available.

Craftsman
    I hack my quartz SMP when not wearing it.
    Is this bad practice?

Quote Originally Posted by Riley View Post
    Is this bad practice?
    No but…
    The 2 major positive points of quartz is accuracy over long time periods and their pick and go nature
    Hacking it when not wearing negates these positives.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Change the battery before you go away.
    Or don’t go away. Problem solved :-)

Yes stay home and keep replacing batteries (like me). There is a downside of owning a large collection of quartz chronographs.

Quote Originally Posted by Riley View Post
    Is this bad practice?
    I wouldn't bother.

IME the batteries in an SMP last for 6-7 years and they are easy to change anyway.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

There are ways and means around the quartz ‘fear’. The last 4 watches I’ve purchased are all quartz but (mostly) negate battery worries in different ways. The CWC diver has a ronda movement with a 5 year battery life and an end of life indicator - as does the Titanium Scurfa MS21. Screwback cases on both should make replacement fairly simple to do at home with a tiny touch of silicone on the o -rings. I also bought a Newmark 52 with a Seiko Meca-quartz movement and apparently a 2 year battery life but it’s not a dive watch and again the screwback should make it a doddle to work on. Finally my new Casio GW-5000U probably won’t need a new cell for 15+ years (I’ve got a few Casio solar atomics about 10 years old and they show a full charge all year). I actually think an auto collection is much more precarious to keep running. Reading the thread on servicing needs for a PRS-22 it looks like there isn’t anyone who can get the parts and that’s a pretty recent watch?!?

How about a watch with a reserve battery?

I wouldn't call it fear but since I kind of share the OP's sentiment, +1 to all the voices in favour of no-hassle solars, I don't use anything else. One type of old-school quartz I might still want to give a go is that with a battery hatch, eliminating the need to have the whole caseback opened, but those aren't that common these days.

Most quartz ‘s have an end of life indicator
    I don't think most do.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post

I actually think an auto collection is much more precarious to keep running. Reading the thread on servicing needs for a PRS-22 it looks like there isn’t anyone who can get the parts and that’s a pretty recent watch?!?
    That is pretty much the case with most of the micros. To me it's just throw-away money and anything more is a bonus. It costs more to service a branded than to buy a micro.