closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: First breakfast cereal on The summit of Everest? Weetabix, Shredded Wheat, Shreddies?

First breakfast cereal on The summit of Everest? Weetabix, Shredded Wheat, Shreddies?

No Grape-Nuts in the 24 hour Vac-Pac ration.

Are they still available?

An interesting charity shop find. Love the adverts. Currently working on was it Oxo or Bovril to the top of the world.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Surely Frosties missed a trick here.

Alpen?

Last edited by Vanguard; 28th June 2021 at 11:02.

Typical marketing spin by Grape-Nuts there. Whilst it is well documented that they supplied the expedition, the peak was reached well after breakfast time where the triumphant pair took in the view whilst pausing to snack on what Hillary stated that he carried to the summit.

Last edited by Mr Curta; 28th June 2021 at 13:20.

This is a ridiculous topic. EVERYONE knows that Sugar Puffs were the first cereal on Everest. I've seen all the adverts and articles in "Cereal Monthly" and I won't be told otherwise.

I have a box of Grape Nuts in the back of the cupboard. From time to time I’ll take it out, give it a shake and pour out a small bowl, mix in milk and honey and tuck in. I think I bought the box one, possibly two years ago.

Master
    I’m on the waiting list for Grape Nuts at my local Waitrose. I thought the shortage was due to COVID or Brexit but thanks to this thread I now know it is probably due to grey market speculators.

First breakfast cereal on The summit of Everest? Weetabix, Shredded Wheat, Shreddies?

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    I’m on the waiting list for Grape Nuts at my local Waitrose. I thought the shortage was due to COVID or Brexit but thanks to this thread I now know it is probably due to grey market speculators.
    Funny you mention that, did my Waitrose duty this morning, checked the shelves and no Grape-Nuts!

Bought some Alpen instead.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    An interesting charity shop find. Love the adverts. Currently working on was it Oxo or Bovril to the top of the world.
    Great find BC. Oxo used the same advertising agency as Rolex (JWT) and the same account team ran a campaign for Oxo claiming it was the first stock cube on the summit. I believe that in the 1980s Oxo asked Lynda Bellingham to record a concession to Bovril as the true first cube on the summit, once the British Meat and Two Veg Society had authenticated Hillary’s diary entry that he ‘had carried a mug of hot Bovril to the summit’.

M4tt is currently looking into whether Hillary actually swallowed while he and Tenzing were at the peak.

Grape Nuts?

That sounds like a euphemism for............something!

BOVRIL WAS THERE!

In pemmican form in the ration pack.

Oxo passed on their congrats., I assume to Bovril.

Boots by Dolcis

Jackets were made by Flintwear, I immediately went to EBay to look for vintage Flintwear, just a fishing vest for £25. I quite fancied it, for around the house, pockets full of handy useful EDC, a Swiss Army knife, torch, tape measure, Leatherman, compass, that sort of thing. Threatened with eviction from the family home.

Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    This is a ridiculous topic. EVERYONE knows that Sugar Puffs were the first cereal on Everest. I've seen all the adverts and articles in "Cereal Monthly" and I won't be told otherwise.

Love your work.

This has rapidly become my thread of the week. I'm finding it really hard to determine which of the Sugar Puffs, Oxo & Bovril ads are spoofs (if any).
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

IIRC, Worzel Gummidge loved grape-nuts and used to impress people by getting them out at parties.

I believe he had a glass table made to help him display them to best advantage.

I'm not sure how much more proof you guys need?

H Monster Governing Director

Master
    Funny you mention that, did my Waitrose duty this morning, checked the shelves and no Grape-Nuts!

Bought some Alpen instead.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    20+ years ago, I was the buyer at waitrose for cereal. Grape Nuts were a must list line, along with thick cut oats, any change in distribution caused me a massive headache.

Amazed they are no longer there. Awful cereal to be honest, but we all have different tastes. These always reminded me of hard grits.

When I left school I worked for a health food wholesaler and Grape Nuts were an absolutely massive seller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve become quite interested in the topic of Grape-Nuts today. I remember eating them occasionally in the 1970s, maybe 60s. Apparently an expedition staple in the early 20th century, even in some WW2 rations, associated with adventurous outdoor living and an early 60s/70s health food. Weren’t they up with All-Bran as a food the keep you regular and protect against Chalfonts?

Will keep an eye out, must try some again.

Master
    I’ve become quite interested in the topic of Grape-Nuts today. I remember eating them occasionally in the 1970s, maybe 60s. Apparently an expedition staple in the early 20th century, even in some WW2 rations, associated with adventurous outdoor living and an early 60s/70s health food. Weren’t they up with All-Bran as a food the keep you regular and protect against Chalfonts?

Will keep an eye out, must try some again.

As a child, the first time I experienced said cereal was in the St Giles village!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lenny Henry on Tiswas’ Compost Corner,

“COMPOST CORNER !!”

“Gwapple me gwape-nuts”