closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Widows that bite

Hybrid View

Widows that bite

Like the title? I should have been a red top journo.

Right, down to business.

We've had loads of false widow threads but I've scanned them briefly and I don't think we've covered getting tough with them.

First things first.

Make yourself a drink. If you're having a cup of tea then do help yourself to a biscuit. You deserve it. If you're having coffee, I hope it's decaff as you should be winding down seeing as it's Sunday evening as I write this. If you're having some white wine or a beer, then I recommend chilling the glass first. If you're having red then let it breathe for a day beforehand.

Some background. I love spiders. Not the way they look - which let's face it is challenging. But what they do. They dislike flies as much as I do. They're industrious and their silk is like kevlar. So far, so good.

After reading a few of the false widow threads, I have been managing them in and around my garage. On a few occasions I've brushed one off and I'm not particularly keen to test the theory that the bite is similar to a wasp. I have been squirting them with a vinegar mixture and keeping the place clean. But, I think they're not as worried about me as they used to be.

I know this as last time I squirted them, the largest stood its ground and sparked up a tiny cigarette. I watched as it eyed me steadily and blew a small amount of smoke in my face. When it then flicked the stub at me, I decided some stronger action was needed.

I'd like to persuade them to move elsewhere for good. Any thoughts appreciated.

Widows that bite

I think this thing has been in my works upstairs window for a few years, I might be wrong as I don’t know their lifespan however this guy scares the crap out of me. He seems to get bigger and now I’d say he’s the size of a 50p piece. There is no way I’d remove him with my hand and I wouldn’t like him in the house, I’d take the big narly hairy b****ards any day of the week

^Yes, that's one for sure.

I would imagine it has a small over-boosted decat Subaru Impreza that it uses to do tiny doughnuts on your mouse mat when you're not there.

I'm now beyond coaxing them into the garden.

Typically, someone will be along to quote Ripley but there must be a stage between gently asking them politely if they wouldn't be so kind as to move on, and nuking the site from orbit.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    ^Yes, that's one for sure.

I would imagine it has a small over-boosted decat Subaru Impreza that it uses to do tiny doughnuts on your mouse mat when you're not there.

I'm now beyond coaxing them into the garden.

Typically, someone will be along to quote Ripley but there must be a stage between gently asking them politely if they wouldn't be so kind as to move on, and nuking the site from orbit.
    🤣🤣

Over the past few years their webs are becoming increasing more common to the point I’m certain around our parts they’ve taken over from the normal orb weavers, who, in contrast, look cute and cuddly.

Do you feel you are at the stage where offerings of freshly caught bluebottles/bumblebees/small birds would help matters?

False widows are the worst.

You shag them, honestly believing their husbands are dead, then it turns out he's not and things get nasty.

Master
    My daughter is pretty phobic on spiders so I shamefully admit to killing the odd one over the years but generally save them with the glass and paper if possible
    I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a false widow so I’m not sure if catching one of those is really practical or not.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

IME experience, they're quicker than the usual garden spiders.

Yesterday, I opened the garage door and a large one scuttled around the other side of the door.

I closed the door and it came back around to the other side again.

So I opened the door more quickly.

The spider darted inside at the last second.

Then I gently closed the door half way. The spider popped a few eyes out to check if I was still there. I was.

It waited until I had gone a few yards away then zipped out to enjoy some sunshine. I nipped back and attempted to catch it with a glass. No chance.

They don't jump though. Which is just as well.

Craftsman
    I've had a bit of a running battle with these b**tard things the last year.

Moved into a new house late 2019, and discovered one in a trellis at the back of the house, which was unnerving.

However, further investigation found them all over the back of the house, mainly between the gutters of our single story extension. Queue increasing panic

We called around for a few pet controllers, but not many treat for spiders. We did find a good guy, who on inspection said ideally he wouldn't spray and we should live with them as they are part of the ecosystem. However, he was fine to do so if we wanted, which we did

He sprayed using Bayer k- orthrine partix and went top to bottom on the outside of the house and garden.

You should have seen the buggers. Dozens dropped like fly's. As he left he said we'd done the right thing getting them sprayed

The advice he gave was good. Recognise and brush away all their webs; keep plants and folage away from doors and windows; keep your house tidy and clean; don't leave boxes and junk lying about.

I also now buy regularly from Amazon this spider spray and apply regularly to window and door frames, gutters and places where I saw them last year. I'm tempted to buy the Bayer stuff but have been unsure if there are restrictions on purchasing and use by a non professional ( it was a simple mix with water and application with sprayer)

So far this year, touch wood, it has kept them away bar the odd one from the bushes. The test will be later in the year towards spider season

Good luck with your battle!
    Last edited by Kidsteruk; 18th July 2021 at 21:37.

Quote Originally Posted by Kidsteruk View Post
    I've had a bit of a running battle with these b**tard things the last year.

Moved into a new house late 2019, and discovered one in a trellis at the back of the house, which was unnerving.

However, further investigation found them all over the back of the house, mainly between the gutters of our single story extension. Queue increasing panic

We called around for a few pet controllers, but not many treat for spiders. We did find a good guy, who on inspection said ideally he wouldn't spray and we should live with them as they are part of the ecosystem. However, he was fine to do so if we wanted, which we did

He sprayed using Bayer k- orthrine partix and went top to bottom on the outside of the house and garden.

You should have seen the buggers. Dozens dropped like fly's. As he left he said we'd done the right thing getting them sprayed

The advice he gave was good. Recognise and brush away all their webs; keep plants and folage away from doors and windows; keep your house today and clean; don't leave boxes and junk lying about.

I also now buy regularly from Amazon this spider spray and apply regularly to window and door frames, gutters and places where I saw them last year. I'm tempted to buy the Bayer stuff but have been unsure if there are restrictions on purchasing and use by a non professional ( it was a simple mix with water and application with sprayer)

So far this year, touch wood, it has kept them away bar the odd one from the bushes. The test will be later in the year towards spider season

Good luck with your battle!

You wouldn't like my shed then. Occasionally the spiders let me in to do some fettling. A massive chunky one scuttled out of my hedge trimmer box yesterday, although I like the vibrating ones best - very amusing.

I don't kill anything you see. So I leave them alone and they leave me alone. So far anyway.

^Thanks Kidster.

Very helpful. There are too many and I've tried being nice.

Alpha, I like spiders in general. Just not so keen on false widows.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha4 View Post
    I don't kill anything you see. So I leave them alone and they leave me alone. So far anyway.
    Me too, as a kid I was well into nature collecting and studying insects, newts etc, from that I will not kill anything unless I have too, I'm no lefty tree hugger but I would rather make an effort to let something go and let it live elsewhere than kill it, and yes I do have false widows a plenty!

Sorry murky, edited to be more accommodating.

In general I agree with you.
    Last edited by AlphaOmega; 20th July 2021 at 10:56.

Master
    Holy thread revival. Widows that bite? Tell her to take her false teeth out! :)

Master
    I’ve found two false widows in different parts of my house in the past couple of days - a bit of a worry with young kids !

Tried a couple of smoke bombs in the garage.

Left it for a few hours.

Went in, with the expectation that I'd see plenty of dead spiders on the floor.

Nothing.

There was a large one on the wall which seemed unaffected.

Time to up the stakes a little.

Master
    Tried a couple of smoke bombs in the garage.

Left it for a few hours.

Went in, with the expectation that I'd see plenty of dead spiders on the floor.

Nothing.

There was a large one on the wall which seemed unaffected.

Time to up the stakes a little.
    Napalm ??

A-10s doing CAS.

Just found a beauty living in our old washing line box..

You may wish to check if that's a male or female.

How you would do this is unclear.

FWIW, contrary to most website information, it seems the males are more likely to inflict a bite - which is of course venomous.

You may wish to check if that's a male or female.

How you would do this is unclear.

FWIW, contrary to most website information, it seems the males are more likely to inflict a bite - which is of course venomous.
    While I like to wish life and goodwill to gods creatures I'm not going to pull this false widows pants down to find out its gender, lets just keep it modern and go with They for arachnids!

Murkeywaters: Whereabouts are you in the country?

Quote Originally Posted by trott3r View Post
    Murkeywaters: Whereabouts are you in the country?
    West Country, anywhere past Gloucester is up north for us!