closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garage build price!!!

Master

Garage build price!!!

Just had our first price in for a new garage/workshop build, not sure if I am so out of touch with costs etc, or, my pants are being pulled right down to my ankles.
    It's 10 metres x 6.5 metre, built partly of local stone and cladding, steel frame to support the span with cut roof to give plenty of storage.
    £120K plus vat.
    I might add that we're located between Gloucester and Chepstow, so not in the very expensive South East etc.
    Am I out of touch, or does that sound about right, I know prices might be inflated at present due to whatever you want to blame for shortages, but really!!

Master
    Difficult commenting without knowing the full spec but that does sound very expensive to me. Do you have a breakdown of the costs?

It works out around £1850/m2, which is the sort of rate one would expect a developer to build a house for. I doubt the garage has stairs/kitchen/bathroom and is lightly serviced with electricity and no gas or water so it does sound toppy. Local stone, steel frame and cut roof are going to push the prices up and material costs are rocketing up but have you considered asking three contractors to tender?

Master
    Basically it's just an overall cost, I have asked other builders to price the job as well, but they all seem rather busy at the moment, I wonder why?
    Nothing fancy going in there, stairs to get to the loft space, water supply, electrics, garage doors etc

Could just be chancing it, not really interested in the job but if you’ll pay the money they’ll fit it in…

Also raw materials massively increased in prices, steel, timber, plaster etc all up and in short supply.

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    Could just be chancing it, not really interested in the job but if you’ll pay the money they’ll fit it in…

Also raw materials massively increased in prices, steel, timber, plaster etc all up and in short supply.
    This, both counts.

The increase in raw materials is pretty bad across the piste.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

My 7m x 7m single skin blockwork garage, rendered, Hormann electric door, EPDM roof, bespoke aluminium copings came in at about £16k. Electrics included in that too

Was chatting to a builder this morning at a car meet. He said all builders are flat out so pricing jobs high to “make it worth while” - I’ve a car port on the side of the house at the moment but wanted a garage.

Master
    I build stuff an thats daylight robbery.

A recent project i completed 15mx12.5m workshop garage in natural stone with stone heads and quoins, 4 insulated sectional electric doors poured and power floated floor concrete aprons infront of all doors, concrete tile roof over trusses 60K plus vat. Broke ground to hand over 6 weeks Did handsome from job.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MCFastybloke View Post

A recent project i completed 15mx12.5m workshop garage in natural stone with stone heads and quoins, 4 insulated sectional electric doors poured and power floated floor concrete aprons infront of all doors, concrete tile roof over trusses 60K plus vat. Broke ground to hand over 6 weeks Did handsome from job.
    That’s about the figure we had in mind.

Master
    I work away

As a guide, in your area about 1,250 per sq/m is reasonable in the current conditions so yes that is expensive

Sent from my SM-F916B using Tapatalk

Apart from how much they will charge, ask the builders when they can do it. As noted above, trades can be booked months in advance at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    This, both counts.

The increase in raw materials is pretty bad across the piste.
    Yep, tell me about it. My builder tells me every day how a metre of 4x2 has gone from £1.40 per metres to £2.80 per metres plus vat in last few months. Insulation up 35%, cement stocks running out everywhere, and sliding doors taking 12 weeks to deliver.

He says he’s increase his sqm rate by 30% and still knocking work away

Jesus, they will build you a house for that in Wales.

i had a huge double skinned garage for 20K

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    Yep, tell me about it. My builder tells me every day how a metre of 4x2 has gone from £1.40 per metres to £2.80 per metres plus vat in last few months. Insulation up 35%, cement stocks running out everywhere, and sliding doors taking 12 weeks to deliver.

He says he’s increase his sqm rate by 30% and still knocking work away
    My builder is telling me all this pretty much daily too! I feel for builders at the moment. Any current jobs unlikely to provide any decent news of it if at all and future jobs so difficult to price.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    My builder is telling me all this pretty much daily too! I feel for builders at the moment. Any current jobs unlikely to provide any decent news of it if at all and future jobs so difficult to price.
    Not sure I’d feel sorry for them
    So much work that you can pick and choose and name your price basically.
    Obviously materials are up but that’s passed onto the customer.
    They’re making hay whilst the sun shines and I can’t blame them.

Steel has gone up 60% since September ,most timber has virtually doubled,just ordered some internal doors that are taking 8 weeks to get,crazy at the minute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best time ever to do a bricklaying course!

I've a mechanic friend now retired in his 60's... Thus far, since lockdown kicked, in he has build his son a two-storey extension and a single storey garage, single handedly. Has saved his son a clean fortune and keep himself entertained, although he now has a sore back.

Master

Any pics?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Weirdfish View Post
    Any pics?

Will post up a couple i took during the build.

I have a couple more on my phone

Im not big on work pictures
    Last edited by MCFastybloke; 28th June 2021 at 06:54.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    Jesus, they will build you a house for that in Wales.

i had a huge double skinned garage for 20K
    Double garage, double skinned, attic trusses, 2x electric roller doors, K-rend finish, 2x uPvc doors, 3x uPvc windows - 22k (Northern Ireland)

I’m just trying to imagine the kind of car I’d keep in a £120k garage?!?- I think I’d buy a hot hatch, a sports car and a couple of covers instead!!

Master
    Thats how much a mate of mine has been quoted for a new build on his plot in New Milton Hampshire!

I know any tradesman worth their salt is completely booked up so most probably heavily inflate the price to make it work for them ie cram it in where they can, sub contract it out or put another less important job back a bit.

That seems very fair and good value these days!

Another option for the OP:

About eight years ago we had a double garage with 400 sqft movie room built over - two seperate bays, full electrics, remote doors etc.

It was all built in about seven days (excluding the concrete base) - it is in timber and came as a huge flatpack from Scandinavia. Very heavy timbers as designed to withstand their winters.

I think cost all in was around £45-50k - still not cheap, but a very substantial building overall.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Can you come and rebuild my garage, please?

Sometimes people price things at a rate that says 'don't really want/need the work', but if the customer is prepared to pay 'X' I'll do it. I think this fits into this category.

Get other quotes and don't be surprised that builders are exceptionally busy and won't be either quick to respond, or in a position to start the work anytime soon.

Converted to feet. Thats 32 x 20 feet or basically a 1 bedroom condo.

It's not a shed. They're basically building 1/3rd to 1/2 a house

Steel frame, brick walls and I assumed a poured concrete floor. You also said water and electricity and a loft

Not a tradesman, but I would think the price is fair for the amount of work entailed.

Other choice if available. Pre-fab shed built to your specs if available in the UK

DON

Master
    Thought I might as well update this, after re-designing the garage to just a single height, (albeit with a semi vaulted roof ), same floor area, 10x6 metres, no steel work needed like last time, block cavity walls faced with local stone, ( which we have most of in existing walls where the garage will go ), cedar clad on at least one end, no roof insulation on the quote, 2 garage doors, one personal door, no landscaping/driveway costs included, old garage/decking removed prior to starting.
    £92K plus VAT, and the added comment on the quotation that should prices keep rising with all the unrest in the world then we might have to re-cost mid build.
    I have estimated that with driveway/landscaping/groundworks to finish off the area would probably add around £25-30K.
    Is it just me or does this still seem very expensive.

Thought I might as well update this, after re-designing the garage to just a single height, (albeit with a semi vaulted roof ), same floor area, 10x6 metres, no steel work needed like last time, block cavity walls faced with local stone, ( which we have most of in existing walls where the garage will go ), cedar clad on at least one end, no roof insulation on the quote, 2 garage doors, one personal door, no landscaping/driveway costs included, old garage/decking removed prior to starting.
    £92K plus VAT, and the added comment on the quotation that should prices keep rising with all the unrest in the world then we might have to re-cost mid build.
    I have estimated that with driveway/landscaping/groundworks to finish off the area would probably add around £25-30K.

£1550 a sqm plus vat I’d say is up there on a garage build, But, if it’s built well it’s not outrageous either. 60sqm is quite a large space. Could you find a smaller 1 man band, buy the materials yourself and avoid the £20k vat?

Master
    £1550 a sqm plus vat I’d say is up there on a garage build, But, if it’s built well it’s not outrageous either. 60sqm is quite a large space. Could you find a smaller 1 man band, buy the materials yourself and avoid the £20k vat?

Cadish suggestion my man, the Vat on the materials is unavoidable.

Cadish suggestion my man, the Vat on the materials is unavoidable.
    Agreed, you’ll pay the vat on the materials, I did. But, my builder was adding 15% on all the materials he bought for my job. So if you could avoid the labour vat and the materials add on costs, and direct source some stuff either second hand etc you’ll save a considerable sum.

But, and it’s a big but. Depends how much you want to be involved. I was much more involved than I wanted to be, but I couldn’t afford the £2.5k plus vat of the proper building firms round here. So I had to be more involved, it was stressful, but cheaper.
    Last edited by tz-uk73; 27th May 2022 at 17:34.

Blog Entries
    That’s crazy…. For pretty much the same price I had 9m wide extension for a kitchen/ diner and 32m2 loft conversion with en suite plus a big patio and garden wall…

Keep asking around and see if you can get a smaller builder to quite labour only maybe?

I’d leave the car outside in the cold. Those prices seem absolutely insane!!
    If I didn’t have a convertible I don’t think I’d keep a car in the garage tbh - and it doesn’t even seem to knock my insurance costs down at all. Think of the car £115k would buy you!!

Master
    Two years ago, we build a 42sqm extension to our house. Basically a big living room on the end of the house. Including bursting through, making good, heating, chimney, fireplace, flooring, 2 standard windows and 1 large window, with a slate roof. 35k

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    Two years ago, we build a 42sqm extension to our house. Basically a big living room on the end of the house. Including bursting through, making good, heating, chimney, fireplace, flooring, 2 standard windows and 1 large window, with a slate roof. 35k

Two years ago has become an age in the construction industry, one particular branch of the supply chain has notified a price increase every month since christmas 6-12%, indicative of costs through out the industry, fuel, vans,tyres, earnings, its absolutely scandalous, BUT demand is insatiable, if like me you use the "rate" to control workload, its just not working, we joke over pints we dont know where the money is coming from and no signs of it ending anytime soon. Its a very good time to be in this job.

Craftsman
    Two years ago has become an age in the construction industry, one particular branch of the supply chain has notified a price increase every month since christmas 6-12%, indicative of costs through out the industry, fuel, vans,tyres, earnings, its absolutely scandalous, BUT demand is insatiable, if like me you use the "rate" to control workload, its just not working, we joke over pints we dont know where the money is coming from and no signs of it ending anytime soon. Its a very good time to be in this job.
    I wonder whether this is the new normal or a moment in time. About to move house and really unsure whether anything more than cosmetic work is to be avoided.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Watchmanuk4 View Post
    I wonder whether this is the new normal or a moment in time. About to move house and really unsure whether anything more than cosmetic work is to be avoided.

I said last year, it cant go on in this manner and the phone is still ringing,its got to collapse soon, derv at a tenner a gallon and utilities going berserk, my feeling is only the prudent will weather the storm,those lads getting the fandango sport vans, new leather jackets and cars will be wanting to undercut everybody when the work load shrinks back to more normal levels.

I dont know the correct words for it but the situation seems hyped up, false.

I said last year, it cant go on in this manner and the phone is still ringing,its got to collapse soon, derv at a tenner a gallon and utilities going berserk, my feeling is only the prudent will weather the storm,those lads getting the fandango sport vans, new leather jackets and cars will be wanting to undercut everybody when the work load shrinks back to more normal levels.

I dont know the correct words for it but the situation seems hyped up, false.
    Construction is still good value though, compared with what value it can add to a property. So as long as house prices remain high, it’ll continue.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Construction is still good value though, compared with what value it can add to a property. So as long as house prices remain high, it’ll continue.
    I disagree. The variance in house pricing across the uk is far larger than the difference in builders rates.
    As an example, I live in an ex council semi. The cost of that work quoted above by the OP would be an outlay that would never return on the sale of my property afterward.

Seems very expensive to me, different country though thus a bit 'spoiled' I reckon. That caveat about potential for a re cost midbuild, CONCERNING to say the least.
    Last edited by Passenger; 29th May 2022 at 08:51.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    I disagree. The variance in house pricing across the uk is far larger than the difference in builders rates.
    As an example, I live in an ex council semi. The cost of that work quoted above by the OP would be an outlay that would never return on the sale of my property afterward.
    That’s because adding a 120k garage to an ex council semi in your area isn’t the right project for that property. But unless you paid too much for the house (or it’s already been done) I’m certain that you could extend or renovate your home to increase its value by a number greater than the actual build cost.

That’s why building firms are exceptionally across the country. When it becomes cheaper to move, than extend/renovate, the housing market will get out of its current lull and builders will be fighting for work.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    That’s why building firms are exceptionally across the country. When it becomes cheaper to move, than extend/renovate, the housing market will get out of its current lull and builders will be fighting for work.
    I think that’s possibly an if rather than when situation these days.

With house prices increasing and stamp duty thresholds not, it’s only getting increasingly more expensive to move.

Although the way building costs are currently rising, perhaps it won’t be that long after all.

Slightly OT but related to recent posts…..something that has always intrigued me. Having just spent a large amount on my place building a bigger GF, I reckon I’ve added a similar amount to the property value, no profit but most likely not lost me either, and I’ve not even added a bedroom.But, if you live in a house somewhere cheaper in the country, let’s say worth £200k, how does it ever stack up? I mean even a good refurb of kitchens, bathrooms, windows, garden, driveway, flooring and central heating and wiring can cost £100k without building a sqm. So how can that ever be worth it on a 200k house, or even less? Do the owners just assume they won’t add the value and write it off as cost of ownership?

Slightly OT but related to recent posts…..something that has always intrigued me. Having just spent a large amount on my place building a bigger GF, I reckon I’ve added a similar amount to the property value, no profit but most likely not lost me either, and I’ve not even added a bedroom.But, if you live in a house somewhere cheaper in the country, let’s say worth £200k, how does it ever stack up? I mean even a good refurb of kitchens, bathrooms, windows, garden, driveway, flooring and central heating and wiring can cost £100k without building a sqm. So how can that ever be worth it on a 200k house, or even less? Do the owners just assume they won’t add the value and write it off as cost of ownership?
    Whilst I agree generally you wish to add value to you home but surely sometimes it is just about improving the quality of your life in your home.

Not everything needs to add monetary value

Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    Whilst I agree generally you wish to add value to you home but surely sometimes it is just about improving the quality of your life in your home.

That is very true. I spend a lot of time in my house, and even if it hadn’t washed its face it’s dramatically improved the way I live there so worth it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post

And you only add value if you were to ever sell it, if you never move then it just becomes a larger inheritance for someone.
    I agree that mostly it's down improving the quality etc.

House prices make no sense to me. Desirable but dilapidated properties don’t seem to cost much less than pristine ones - ‘do you want this regularly serviced 1 year old bmw with 3,000 miles on the clock, or the same model but 4 years old, been stolen twice, 150, 000 miles, needs new tires, sagging seats, purple vinyl wrap, never serviced for the same price?
    I know houses and car prices are unrelated and it’s a daft analogy, but with building and maintenance costs through the roof, unless you’re a brilliant DIY’er with time on your hands I don’t understand how it’s viable

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    House prices make no sense to me. Desirable but dilapidated properties don’t seem to cost much less than pristine ones - ‘do you want this regularly serviced 1 year old bmw with 3,000 miles on the clock, or the same model but 4 years old, been stolen twice, 150, 000 miles, needs new tires, sagging seats, purple vinyl wrap, never serviced for the same price?
    I know houses and car prices are unrelated and it’s a daft analogy, but with building and maintenance costs through the roof, unless you’re a brilliant DIY’er with time on your hands I don’t understand how it’s viable

Indeed. Having only ever bought houses needing a complete renovation in my life, real rough ones, I’m not sure I ever would again. Too much money needed and not enough energy now!

Doesn’t seem to matter if you’ve got money. Still can’t get trades people to even bother following up with a quote!