closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Kinda bored now..

Blog Entries

Exclamation Kinda bored now..

Now that I’ve stopped buying / selling watches I am finding my interest waining. I just interject on such posts as:

the “value of Omega compared to Rolex” or visa versa or,
    “does this look too thick / thin / big / small on me”, or,
    “if I buy this watch will I gain / lose money”.

But honestly it’s all becoming a bit tedious.

Have I broken the curse??? (rhetorical)
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 27th June 2021 at 16:38.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Master
    We just sat in pouring rain at the seaside and had a bet on which people bought an ice cream. And you think watches can be boring…..

Master
    First of all Martyn, you’ve not stopped buying or selling watches, it’s in your blood - maybe better to say you’re on a sabbatical :-)

As for your other points, all forums and social media pages seem to have become far too focused on people buying watches based on 1) investment value, 2) what they will lose if they sell and 3) what other people think of it. It’s a bit sad, but we’re probably all guilty of some of it, hopefully very few are guilty of all of it. I think I’m only guilty of number 2 and ironically I’ve just bought a watch knowing that may well happen if I don’t bond with it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    We just sat in pouring rain at the seaside and had a bet on which people bought an ice cream. And you think watches can be boring…..
    That’s brightened up my day!

The Great British Summer!

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post

I have previously had watch 'mojo' lows.

Currently on another - mainly fuelled by the cost of some of the models/brands that used to be good buys which I now consider overpriced.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

The thrill is always in the chase, and yes when you aren't buying and settled with your collection watch forums aren't nearly as interesting. I think that probably stands to reason.

So yeah you'll be back to full steam when you come off your little buying break 😜

Martyn...I know what you mean but but but.....trust me it (flipperitis) will come back with a vengeance when you least expect it, you just think your cured...we are never cured, something will catch your eye and boom just like Michael Corleone 'Just when I thought I was out they pull me back in".....

Lockdown day = 461 .... I have worryingly started looking at the new Tudor 39mm Bronze BB58....must resist ..

Master
    Maybe it’s the pandemic with the designers on furlough and the economy in deep freeze, but there haven’t been any new models coming out that light my fire - certainly not that actually fit me and cost less than a decent sports car. The odd GS perhaps, but I’m not tempted to buy them new or sell a hard to find vintage model to fund it. Meanwhile vintage prices seem sky high these days and it’s hard to find a bargain to make your day, apart from the odd 60s Seiko, and I already have a good one. Every now and then I try some man maths and see what consolidation would bring, but it never seems to add up to something that gets me really excited at the moment. You could call this ‘being happy with what you have’ and making time for do some servicing, but it’s obviously less exciting than chasing a dream.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Find a new direction. Dirty Dozen?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    The thrill is always in the chase, and yes when you aren't buying and settled with your collection watch forums aren't nearly as interesting. I think that probably stands to reason.

So yeah you'll be back to full steam when you come off your little buying break 
    Once I have made the complete transformation to an EU citizen then buying will return. It will be a sad day though, as it's unlikely I'll be able to trade with the majority in the UK on here. It will be a new adventure and I guess the Euro market is much larger. I just need to get to grips with the strange languages and diabolical websites.

The trade barriers post Brexit have put a damper on my watch collecting, I used to be able to buy watches cheaply and easily from the EU and could also sell watches very quickly and for a better price than UK buyers are willing to pay.

Now it's just blah.

Sent from my JSN-L21 using Tapatalk

It is the great paradox of this hobby (any collecting hobby, I guess), true satisfaction may only be found when you stop looking. And the forums are often about looking….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Martjn,

Could it be that you have previously stated that you now have your perfect ideal line up of your collection.

I too have tried to get my ultimate collection and upon doing so have been left with the thought "what now".

Someone on here once said and I believe it is true, "watches look better on other people's wrists" and that's why we want them, that and the chase to get what we perceive to be the best at that time.

You have had the journey, ended up with some beautiful watches though are now left empty as there is no longer the chase so you need to start again.

This time research and try other less mainstream high end brands that fulfill you instead of the highend watches we often yearn for.

Please let us know how this progresses.

Regards.

Keith.

Sent from my SM-G973F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by carlyrox; 27th June 2021 at 21:03.

Grand Master
    I don’t see the appeal of buying new/modern watches and flipping them on a frequent basis. Nothing new appeals to me, I find vintage watches and watches made 20 years ago far more appealing and I’ve builtup a nice collection over the past 20 years. For me it’s a sustainable hobby, I’ve own almost all the watches I have an urge to own including several gold Omegas that don’t come out often but I still get pleasure from owning.

I think the serial flippers are always seeking something, or maybe watch- buying is an act of retail therapy and the satisfaction is in getting something new.

A combination of the covid/ lockdown situation plus the distraction of having a recently acquired property to sort out has dampened my enthusiasm somewhat; I’m spending a lot less time working on them too owing to other distractions so that aspect of the watch hobby has diminished too, but fixing them is more of a winter activity when there’s little else to do!

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Once I have made the complete transformation to an EU citizen then buying will return. It will be a sad day though, as it's unlikely I'll be able to trade with the majority in the UK on here. It will be a new adventure and I guess the Euro market is much larger. I just need to get to grips with the strange languages and diabolical websites.
    Which country are you settling in?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    Which country are you settling in?
    Off to Portugal for a new life chapter. I really can’t wait. I’ve had enough. ( sorry straying off WT).

My enthusiasm has certainly waned over the years although I’ve bought a couple of Seikos recently.

I think that the huge increases in prices of mid tier brands have put me off, I was relatively happy paying £3.5k for a Rolex but not £10k. Or £2-2.5k for a Speedmaster but not £5k.

My two latest have been sub £400 but they’re pretty much right up there quality wise.

I just feel that we’re all being taken for mugs even though the market values of some watches are even higher than their RRPs.

Maybe my enthusiasm will return at some point but I can’t really see it.

Hope all goes well with your new adventure in Portugal Martyn, the house looks lovely!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I think that the huge increases in prices of mid tier brands have put me off, I was relatively happy paying £3.5k for a Rolex but not £10k. Or £2-2.5k for a Speedmaster but not £5k.
    That’s certainly a big part of it, and what’s worse still is the exponentially higher price of the next tier up, which makes continuing the journey seem faintly absurd. Unless of course, you already have a flat in Monaco and a yacht with a helicopter on it to go with the watch, a discrete team of ex-special forces body guards, and some suitably glamorous Bond movie location to go to to wear it, as it won’t make much sense down the pub. And yet it’s the same watch, that you could have reasonably looked forward to buying next, before all the price inflation. The same thing has happened to cars, they’ve more or less doubled in price over a relatively short period of time.

Master
    I am in the same position having chased the next grail only to find it didn't live up to the dream.

The final straw was a Rolex SD43...chased and chased it until a very kind member offered me one just above RRP.Within a few months i realized it was no better than other watches i had that cost three times less.

I think i am lucky that by chance i bought what would for me be the last watch i sell seven years ago.

I have my three watch collection and now enjoy it more as i get to wear them more rather than look at them or get them out every so often to wear.

I am not bored with watches i just think i am very close to enjoying the one's i have.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Im settled with what I have and okay with the knowledge that some will go up in value and others will plummet like skydivers.
    Im still interested in watches, even though im not in a chasing phase so I still read about them and enjoy the chat.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Im settled with what I have and okay with the knowledge that some will go up in value and others will plummet like skydivers.
    Im still interested in watches, even though im not in a chasing phase so I still read about them and enjoy the chat.
    A good philosophy C.

Now that I’ve stopped buying / selling watches I am finding my interest waining. I just interject on such posts as:

I think it is obvious that buying/ selling new or new-ish watches and posting pictures of them on here was just advanced retail therapy for you.

Now it is over you have become bored.

Ever thought about reading up about watch movements (I have some good books here) or having a go at watch repair, on cheaper models obviously?

Rather than just spending money some deeper involvement may spark something in you.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Master

Old age?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    ... or having a go at watch repair...
    my eyes are passed it according to some..

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Old age?

Master
    I am still very interested in watches but have no intention of buying anymore as I have enough and buying more would be pure self indulgence. I like the fact that nearly every watch I own will probably slowly increase in value so they are an asset rather than a luxury. If you sell a watch for more than you paid for it and if the increased value exceeds the servicing cost, then you have effectively been paid to own the watch. That at least makes it a sensible hobby.

The only thing I don't like is the squabbling and infighting you get on the forum and just under three weeks ago after receiving an unnecessary insult I decided to view regularly and contribute considerably less. So far I am enjoying the experiment. I think I have now got to a happy medium.

Grand Master
    All the fun is in the chase and desire once you have them they normalise and can become dull
    RIAC

Sadly, I have to say that since buying an Apple Watch, my lifelong interest in mechanicals has fallen off a cliff. I think lockdown started it, but have to say it's quite liberating not buying / selling, having concerns about timekeeping / servicing, not worrying about value or being unable to buy the models which interest me.

The forum's still a great place to hang out though.

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    All the fun is in the chase and desire once you have them they normalise and can become dull
    Exactly.

No matter what your "grail" is, when you get it it is always a massive anticlimax.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

Exactly.

No matter what your "grail" is, when you get it it is always a massive anticlimax.
    Unlike with women (as opposed to watches), where the result is usually the opposite

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Unlike with women (as opposed to watches), where the result is usually the opposite

MATRON!

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'll be joining you in the Euro zone in a couple of years, so don't lose hope just yet :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    I have previously had watch 'mojo' lows.

Currently on another - mainly fuelled by the cost of some of the models/brands that used to be good buys which I now consider overpriced.
    +1. Lockdown has been the watch mojo killer for me.

I slimmed the collection to 2.

I wore my Speedy to a Wedding on Saturday. Put it on the bracelet for the first time. Only remembered I was wearing it when I took it off.

Flipping 3-4K subs and dwellers was fun…….

Master
    Its been the total opposite for me, although I totally see and understand where the OP is coming from.

For me, with covid, i have started to read more and more about watches (not that I didnt do that enough before) but started to appreciate much more intricacies about many models and brands that I didnt consider before.

For example recently I purchased a Patek 5235R, a regulator, something I never would have bought, but the watch is just damn exciting to wear. Didnt really chase it as its fairly available in any AD but bought it more on a whim and it worked out superbly.

Hooked on the whole regulator thing, I then purchased a Richard Lange jumping seconds, another oddball regulator watch with a quartz like seconds hand haha, again, love this mechanical marvel also.

Then I proceeded to purchase my first Grand Seiko in Japan, WAKO the flagship after being invited to a master watchmaker event by the boutique manager and helped with a friendly nudge (a mild discount), I purchased the new dual impulse escapement White Birch and met the watchmaker that assembled it after seeing him dissasemble the entire thing and explain how it works. Fascinating stuff and something genuinely innovative to come from the Japanese brand.

Been on a bit of a spending spree but for me the hobby is getting more and more exciting in many ways.

Ofcourse I see the negativities with increasing publicity with endless Nautilus, daytona, Rolex posts and photos on instagram and mundane questions as "how do i get a rolex at an AD" or "what do I need to spend to get a nautilus" or whatever.

Ignoring that though, there many cool watches out there that flies under the radar and its nice to be living in an age where so many different things exist to be enjoyed.
    Last edited by kaiserphoenix; 30th June 2021 at 12:32.

Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Dirty boy!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

Master
    I personally am buying more partly out of interest and the rest out of desire. Tried more brands over the last year and have enjoyed the diversity.

Master
    2020 was a bad year for me in terms of purchases. Bought more than I have in probably the 3-5 years (I haven't done the maths). Time at home, watches suddenly becoming available and just circumstances I guess.

This year I have been good!

I agree, it is easy to get to a point to feel we are done. We are over the addiction. But recently I am getting the temptation again and starting to browse...let's face it...we are not normal.

So what watch or watches have you kept?

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

It’s not just the ownership for me, I think there is a need to collect. I have been doing it for over 40 years now with across a range of items starting out with rare records in the 1970s, moving on to rock and pop memorabilia, psychedelic posters, Moorcroft pottery, Railway posters, Penfolds wine (collecting runs of different years of some of the labels) and over the last 10 years on to watches.

A box full of random unconnected watches don’t hit the spot for me, there needs to be a connection or a theme going on so that I can target the next one. With all of the above this goes on until I reach a point were I cannot get any further and I either get frustrated or lose interest and sell the lot and move on to something else and start again. Some will have seen evidence of this in recent years.

This year I have been doing my own version of the dirty dozen, only collecting the fatter cased G10s from 1980 to 1982 (Fatboys and Fat Navs). There are 10 in all and I am currently up to 5. For the time being this is keeping me satisfied, the hunt, doing WTBs, following up leads from others and every now again it leads to a purchase. The thrill of the chase and collecting something are currently being achieved and that is about as close to contentment that I can ever get.

I do like doing the research and discovering the differences between different models and what to look out for and what to avoid.

I am envious (in a nice way) of people who never sell a watch and are satisfied with what they have, but usually these are the annoying bu**ers who have the watches I want and won’t sell them.

Trotting into a dealership and buying the latest must have and putting it in the watch box with all the others would be a form of watch hell for me. That to me is like going out and buying tin of beans and cans of coke and lining them up in the cupboard

Master
    During the lockdowns, the economics of luxury watches haven’t made a whole load of sense, and where would you wear them anyway. I’ve been more focused on home improvements, picking up classic furniture and art. I also seem to have been collecting blazers (of the comfortable and unstructured kind) via online shopping, there were a lot of good finds at bargain prices, something you can rarely say about watches these days. Watches will come round again, but like champagne, they work when you’re celebrating how well things are going. Not something you’d say about the last 18 months!

I have noted my change in attitude in a few similar posts recently
    Whilst I still enjoy watches and wear a different watch everyday, there has not been a new release by the main players / bigger names that has interested me for years. The last must have release for me was the original Pelagos. (The Synchron diver was also a must have but the attraction soon wore off)
    The last 18 or so months have really changed what I wear on a daily basis, I wear my older military issued watches almost exclusively and newer mainstream stuff sits in the safe. I am wearing my U1 today for the first time in ages, (it might be the first time this year) this was once a firm favourite, now it never sees the light of day. I was military watches that got me in to the hobby so I guess it’s to be expected
    I have even started to single out some that will be sold, some have been sold already - that’s a major change for me
    The retail therapy element of buying watches has never been a thing for me, but the hunting, reading, chasing is a huge draw to this hobby. I will happily continue to do this but I am more selective on what I buy, read about etc.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 1st July 2021 at 09:10.

I've been there, not really flipped much in the last few years. Wear a G shock most of the time as its the most practical. Lightness is the thing for me in recent years. The thought of wearing a Tuna or the Dreadnought on bracelets would just not happen for me these days. I tend to put everything on Natos. I've taken the bracelet off my Turtle to lighten it. Still look in SC in the hope of seeing a Unicorn!

Craftsman
    I have to admit I lose interest a little when I'm not able to flip for a while but the forums keep me going

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    It’s not just the ownership for me, I think there is a need to collect. I have been doing it for over 40 years now with across a range of items starting out with rare records in the 1970s, moving on to rock and pop memorabilia, psychedelic posters, Moorcroft pottery, Railway posters, Penfolds wine (collecting runs of different years of some of the labels) and over the last 10 years on to watches.

A box full of random unconnected watches don’t hit the spot for me, there needs to be a connection or a theme going on so that I can target the next one. With all of the above this goes on until I reach a point were I cannot get any further and I either get frustrated or lose interest and sell the lot and move on to something else and start again. Some will have seen evidence of this in recent years.

This year I have been doing my own version of the dirty dozen, only collecting the fatter cased G10s from 1980 to 1982 (Fatboys and Fat Navs). There are 10 in all and I am currently up to 5. For the time being this is keeping me satisfied, the hunt, doing WTBs, following up leads from others and every now again it leads to a purchase. The thrill of the chase and collecting something are currently being achieved and that is about as close to contentment that I can ever get.

I do like doing the research and discovering the differences between different models and what to look out for and what to avoid.

I am envious (in a nice way) of people who never sell a watch and are satisfied with what they have, but usually these are the annoying bu**ers who have the watches I want and won’t sell them.

Trotting into a dealership and buying the latest must have and putting it in the watch box with all the others would be a form of watch hell for me. That to me is like going out and buying tin of beans and cans of coke and lining them up in the cupboard
    Good post.

I must admit I am a collector too (of various stuff) and although my wife would say she isn't, the cabinet full of Moorcroft says otherwise.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website: