closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Help identifying anti-theft (probably) fixings

Help identifying anti-theft (probably) fixings

My neighbour is struggling to remove their solar panels as the fixings are quite odd. I've seen nothing like them. Any ideas?

Naturally as with most of the solar panel industry, the original installers are long gone.

Wouldn't something like this work or use the drill bit that takes out old rusted screws?
    https://www.toolstation.com/nut-spli...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

- - - Updated - - -

Wouldn't something like this work or use the drill bit that takes out old rusted screws?
    https://www.toolstation.com/nut-splitter-set/p80007?store=T9&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medi um=feed&utm_campaign=googleshoppingfeed&mkwid=s_dm &pcrid=515847200324&pkw=&pmt=&gclid=CjwKCAjwoNuGBh A8EiwAFxomA-ripUwldmvCFzMYkcmRGw6vAxcirNorztnthLP3m-Cxi0ZjH3X1ORoCYVIQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Master
    Have you tried a slotted driver? It looks to me like the intrusions are spring loaded and to hold a slotted bit in place for machine fixing.

It looks like a torx would do it, BUT - perhaps google Solar Panel fixtures etc and see if they are a standard item

It might be that they require a collar to perhaps force out the castellated bits - while flat-head inner undoes the screw?
    Last edited by blackal; 26th June 2021 at 08:37.

Had a google-image search................ and can find nothing that looks like that!

The ring of 'teeth' even look more exact than what most people are fitting (Die-formed castellations etc), and the size of the nut-head is larger.

Try on a solar panel forum?

Master
    Do the six teeth retract?

Thanks all - I've not gone and had a look myself as I've been away for the week so these are the pictures he's sent.

I've also tried googling but not found anything similar. I'm trying to identify the logo which looks like it could be an "H"

They could be a fixing to stop them coming loose rather than a whizzy anti-theft mechanism.

His builders are reaching for the angle grinders.

The teeth do look to be in 2 sets of 3. I'm going to have to get on my work boots and climb on his roof

Torx should do that

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Thanks all - I've not gone and had a look myself as I've been away for the week so these are the pictures he's sent.

I've also tried googling but not found anything similar. I'm trying to identify the logo which looks like it could be an "H"

They could be a fixing to stop them coming loose rather than a whizzy anti-theft mechanism.

His builders are reaching for the angle grinders.
    Pretty sure they are elaborate anti-theft fixings. Their sheer bulk and what looks like a spring retaining ring around the 'teeth' together with the leading chamfer on the teeth, would suggest that a thin-wall socket goes in and forces the teeth out, and grips the nut. The collar will support the thin wall of the socket.

"Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    I would get a Dremel and cut a slot in the top, which will allow him to use a screwdriver.

Pete

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I don't think that will help 😂😂😂

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    It's only holding the bracket in to the runner, just cut the bracket off with a 4" grinder/ cutting blade.

On the basis that rectification costs if Mr Cockup comes to town could be significant, I'm going to let the neighbour and his builder do whatever needs doing (especially if it comes to cutting/grinding) but I'm very intrigued to understand it

Are they Schuco wing nuts?

Master

Help identifying anti-theft (probably) fixings

To my eyes it looks like a flat head screw that is protected by retractable teeth.
    So basically you’d need a flat head screwdriver with cylindrical collar to press the teeth in.

SydR
    The teeth get pushed aside when the screw is being inserted then spring back into place to prevent removal.

I knew someone who had success in removing them by creating a thin ring of aluminium, from a drinks can, to push the teeth back. Seems it was trial and error till the got it to work.

Never did find out what they are called.

I'm not sure that the teeth are retractable.

Perhaps I'm underthinking this, but it looks like a simple 'step' bracket, secured on one flange with a captive, self-tapping screw. As the screw is loosened the whole bracket will move away from the aluminium & top sections, with the screw remaining trapped in its fixing. There seems, from the photos, to be a couple of mm between the screwhead & the teeth to allow an initial couple of turns. You may need a sheathed/hooded screwdriver, but I'm not definite that you do.
    Last edited by jwg663; 26th June 2021 at 11:28. Reason: 'Self-tapping'
    ______

​Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    I'm not sure that the teeth are retractable.

Perhaps I'm underthinking this, but it looks like a simple 'step' bracket, secured on one flange with a captive, self-tapping screw. As the screw is loosened the whole bracket will move away from the aluminium & top sections, with the screw remaining trapped in its fixing. There seems, from the photos, to be a couple of mm between the screwhead & the teeth to allow an initial couple of turns. You may need a sheathed/hooded screwdriver, but I'm not definite that you do.

They 'seem' to be in a slot, and on a spring collet of some sort.

It's not a great slot for a screwdriver mind.

Quote Originally Posted by SydR View Post
    The teeth get pushed aside when the screw is being inserted then spring back into place to prevent removal.

I knew someone who had success in removing them by creating a thin ring of aluminium, from a drinks can, to push the teeth back. Seems it was trial and error till the got it to work.

Never did find out what they are called.
    We're going with this approach...

And if that doesn't work it's going to be a special blend of psychology and extreme violence
    Last edited by Gyp; 26th June 2021 at 13:35.

Master
    I asked over on PH & someone has identified them as Schuco nuts (as indeed did adrianw above):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254756306309

The suspicion is that an Allen key should suffice to undo them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    I asked over on PH & someone has identified them as Schuco nuts (as indeed did adrianw above):

Lovely.

Didn't spot adrianw's post earlier

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Are they Schuco wing nuts?
    Not wing nuts, but they are schucos. nice one!

6mm Allen and a gentle tap (removal advice from pistonheads) and it was out

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post

Seems my neighbour was having that parallel conversation :-)

Hurrah for the internet.

And an alien key and a hammer

Mole grips are non-discriminatory