closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The dream of a Tudor Black Bay 58 GMT

Master

The dream of a Tudor Black Bay 58 GMT

Perhaps I should have titled this, “The dream (for some) of a Tudor Black Bay 58 GMT”.

There are a fair few on the forum who were hoping for a GMT in a 58-sized case this year.

I was wondering: does anyone know how small a case Tudor could fit its new GMT movement into? Or would they have to produce a new version of the GMT movement to offer a 58 GMT?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I tried one on at the weekend but it was far too small.

To the point I was surprised at how much people praise it.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by r.dawson View Post
    I tried one on at the weekend but it was far too small.

To the point I was surprised at how much people praise it.

Surely that depends on your wrist size and personal preference.

I think there is always a chance the BB58 GMT might happen one day but I always assumed it hadn't because it required a new movement to be developed with associated costs. I won't hold my breath...I think at the moment they are doing well with their different colour/metal variants.

Craftsman
    Now they’ve made the 58 out of every material they can think of they might look at a GMT version!

Whatever we want the most will be the least likely for them to release. Always the way. Same with the big brother.

I do want to see that new clasp on more watches though. Shame it isn't on the new chrono.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Surely that depends on your wrist size and personal preference.
    Absolutely, I just either didn't realise how big the market was for these or thought that this worked for people who traditionally go for a larger size.

Quote Originally Posted by MalaMD View Post
    Now they’ve made the 58 out of every material they can think of they might look at a GMT version!
    We've not had a Damascus version yet

Not why it is a dream, i had a Black Bay and it was slightly nicer than an Oris costing far less

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    We've not had a Damascus version yet
    Must be saving that for a special anniversary!

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Whatever we want the most will be the least likely for them to release. Always the way. Same with the big brother.

I do want to see that new clasp on more watches though. Shame it isn't on the new chrono.
    I think this is the most likely next move from Tudor...incremental improvements on design - a bit like Omega. METAS-equivalent chronometer movements and adjustable clasps to existing designs.

Quote Originally Posted by r.dawson View Post
    Absolutely, I just either didn't realise how big the market was for these or thought that this worked for people who traditionally go for a larger size.

I think there are lots of us out there with small wrists. I've owned 3 41mm Tudors in the past and it's not really the diameter (I don't even mind if lugs overhang my wrist a bit), it's the overall bulk that I started to tire of. That's not limited to Tudor, same with the maxi-case Rolex...there always seemed to be a point in the day when I really noticed the weight of the watch on my wrist and started to feel like I wanted to take it off. I still buy larger watches though - one of my favourites is my Mark II Speedmaster. Pretty bulky, but the adjustable clasp really improves the comfort.

The other thing I've noticed is that the perception of small/large only really happens if you flip between watches. Trying on a BB58 and a 41mm BB one after the other makes the 58 seem small. If its the only watch you've put on that day, it really doesn't feel small...to me it feels the perfect size.

Master
    A BB58 GMT would be just about the perfect watch imo, the standard gmt is a terrible watch far to slab sided I tried to love it 3 times but it was just a nonsense

Master
    I would sell my 16710 if Tudor made a BB58 GMT. But I am fairly sure they would have to create a new movement, as they did for the 58 versus the standard Black Bay. And so we are likely facing a long wait, and maybe it will never come.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    ...I always assumed it hadn't because it required a new movement to be developed with associated costs. I won't hold my breath.
    I thought the same but with the release of the gold/silver/ceramic versions with 2 new movements I don't think that holds water anymore.

There will be a commercial reason for not releasing the GMT58, perhaps they think it will cannibalise Rolex sales

Quote Originally Posted by vortex89 View Post
    I thought the same but with the release of the gold/silver/ceramic versions with 2 new movements I don't think that holds water anymore.

There will be a commercial reason for not releasing the GMT58, perhaps they think it will cannibalise Rolex sales
    Yes, thinking about it, I agree…it’ll be a commercial decision about impact on other models.

Quote Originally Posted by vortex89 View Post

I don't see how it can cannibalize sales of watches that are perpetually out of stock. When I went into an AD a few weeks ago the entire Rolex display area had no men's watches and around 10 women's watches in it. Fully stocked it would hold over 100.

Quote Originally Posted by Saxon007 View Post
    I don't see how it can cannibalize sales of watches that are perpetually out of stock. When I went into an AD a few weeks ago the entire Rolex display area had no men's watches and around 10 women's watches in it. Fully stocked it would hold over 100.
    I guess you want a balanced range. I imagine if they spent time and money developing a BB58 GMT, sales of the 41mm GMT and a lot of the rest of the BB58 range including the new silver/bronze ones might dry up overnight. I suspect if ever they did a BB58 GMT, it wouldn't be soon with all the other new BB58 releases that have just come out.

I saw a video where the idea of a BB58 Bronze Root Beer GMT was suggested: now that would be interesting!