closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Bicycle sizing advice

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Bicycle sizing advice

Without going into stack and reach and all the other available dimensions available for the bike and just using the size guide as a general starting point, am I correct in thinking that if I am between sizes and choose the larger, this will give me a more relaxed/upright riding position.

For ref I am looking at a Cannondale, I am 5’ 11.5” according to Cannondales size chart I could go with Medium or large.

My thinking is that if I chose a large the seat post will need to be a little lower than if I chose a medium and therefor give me a less aggressive more upright riding position.

Obviously other factors come into consideration but thinking generally

Just for ref, I’m over 50, 13.5st and fairly inflexible if that makes any difference.

I know the advice will be get down the shop and try for size but just possible, my LBS has bugger in so online is the way to go for me.

Here is their size chart.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Master
    I’m the same height as you. I have a few bikes and broadly, depending on geometry, they are all medium. The adage that it’s easier to make a small frame bigger than a big frame smaller stands good.

Your logic about the relaxed position is a bit flawed. If the top tube is too long, you start having to compensate with a short stem which can bring its own problems around steering.

Really though the best option is to go to a good dealer and get a bike fit.
    Last edited by Ashtons99; 24th June 2021 at 22:51.

Master
    I am same height as you also and have faced this issue a few times. Would go with the medium (if you really have no choice but to buy blind).
    If you are less flex then I think point raised before in that it is easier to size up is correct. Also have a look at top tube length to see how stretched out (relatively) you would be as this can be an issue if you are less flexible. BTW my brother goes the other way as the more stretch for some reason helps his back issues !

Master
    I think you should go with the medium. It's much easier to get a bike that's smaller than optimum to fit than one that's too big.

Master
    I'm 5' 10" and have ridden Cannondale bikes for years now, always go for a medium as they suit me.

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashtons99 View Post
    I’m the same height as you. I have a few bikes and broadly, depending on geometry, they are all medium. The adage that it’s easier to make a small frame bigger than a big frame smaller stands good.

Your logic about the relaxed position is a bit flawed. If the top tube is too long, you start having to compensate with a short stem which can bring its own problems around steering.

Really though the best option is to go to a good dealer and get a bike fit.
    This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^.

A large frame will stretch you out, which as we get older is not desirable or comfortable if you plan on doing 30+ miles at a time. As Everyone has said Medium

Grand Master
    Medium
    RIAC

Master
    Large!

No, not really. Medium.

With those recommendations i'd def go medium. I'm 5 11 as well and I've found with some brands (whyte and boardman) i'm on the cusp of medium or large but with those ranges there's no doubt you're a medium.
    Last edited by Lazydonkey; 25th June 2021 at 09:37.

Craftsman
    try one , i am long in the leg and always end up on a large and i am the same height . You are in the grey area . I think my new one on order is an S4 which should be fun if i have got it wrong

SydR

Bicycle sizing advice

Really depends on the bike.

Over the years my CAAD8 was a large, my CAADX a medium and my Bad Boy hybrid a large.

OTOH there was one bike, from another brand, that I was certain I was large but took the opportunity one day to visit the shop. Glad I did as the medium was a much better fit.

In this case, with the decent crossover, I go medium but be prepared to change things to make it bigger if needed.

Master
    The smaller bike will make you sit up more, the larger will stretch you out as others say. My advice would be to get a proper fitting, especially if you're between sizes as one might be great and the other just not right.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks guys.

A medium does seem to make sense as I’m bang in the middle, as in a large in right at the lower edge of the guide.

As has been said, you can make a smaller bike larger but never a large bike smaller.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Quote Originally Posted by SydR View Post
    Bad Boy hybrid

i really wanted a bad boy when i was buying my commuter, but ultimately it made more sense to buy something uber sensible that could get kicked in and wouldn't get nicked. Still love them, especially the ones witht he light bar on the forks

SydR
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazydonkey View Post

i really wanted a bad boy when i was buying my commuter, but ultimately it made more sense to buy something uber sensible that could get kicked in and wouldn't get nicked. Still love them, especially the ones witht he light bar on the forks
    I got the Bad Boy 1 with light in the fork and seat post.

It attracts a lot of interest so is never left unattended.

Quote Originally Posted by SydR View Post
    I got the Bad Boy 1 with light in the fork and seat post.

It attracts a lot of interest so is never left unattended.
    Backs up my theory. Lovely bike though.

My boardman looks pretty sh*t and it's been crashed twice so no-one looks twice. Which is very handy.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Medium