closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Would you buy a Tudor?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by omegamotorcyclist View Post
    Sorry if my original post was unclear. I am not trying to be a snob. I honestly feel self conscious about even wearing a Rolex because of the company that means I keep. I live in East London and it seems everyone is wearing a Rolex and driving a black Range Rover.

They are not doing it for the love of the thing, they are trying to just show off. You know the type.

My issue with Tudor is that its exactly the same concept, except the people showing off just don't have as much money.

But some of those modern simple tudors are so lovely, I suppose what I am really saying is that its a shame they are associated with Rolex as it will attract the same kind of people, and I'd hate to think someone would think I was wearing a watch to impress people rather than just loving the thing.
    If you think like this then buy a Grand Seiko - my guess is that you won't because your friends will say " oh - a seiko "

Please come back when you have acquired a bit more watch knowledge.

Master
    I think the best part of life is choice, I own several brands of watches and l purchased them because I liked them. Some are quirky and colourful but most important they struck a cord with me. That includes several Tudor’s and to be honest I am quite excited about the new bronze 58.

Buy what you like and try not to read into the myths or cool aid.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Where in East London are you living that everyone has a range rover and a Rolex?!

Maybe on the Essex borders a few Evoques at best.
    Near the A13 in luxury flats. All I do is hear AMGs all day and all night, bought on PCP. haha

Honestly all the support here makes me think I should give Tudor a chance and not worry. Its great that they are respected by watch lovers.

As I said in another thread, I feel like there are some amazing brands like Zenith go under the radar

Near the A13 in luxury flats. All I do is hear AMGs all day and all night, bought on PCP. haha
    What stinks more, A13 Beckton exit or your attitude? Lolz

Big issue with private people buying cars like that and renting them to local drug dealers for cash with no record of who took them etc.

Also a load of people round there who live with their parents until they're married (and after sometimes) so they spunk their money on cars. RS3, C43 AMG, M2 etc

This is thread is fantastic. So you don’t like the people that wear Rolex’s just so show off but you don’t like tudors because estate agents can afford them?

I’ll give a genuine answer to your question, when I was waiting to buy me first Rolex I got tempted by a Pelagos in blue. When I actually tried one on I was quite disappointed as it did feel a bit ‘cheap’ compared to a sub (which makes sense as it’s half the price!)

I have since seen a Tudor GMT Pepsi on someone’s wrist and thought that looked much better and would consider one if I didn’t have a Rolex Pepsi.

I bought this precisely because it was a poor man's Rolex.

I love the Rolex Submariner case design, but didn't want to afford a Rolex. This was my solution, exactly the same case, with Tudor's own design twist, but substantially less money.
    People can think what they like about the "poor man's Rolex", but I am bery happy with mine.
    I have a Pelagos too. Pretty happy with that as well.
    I have had a few other Subs (76100 blue and black), a BB GMT, and a few vintage Jumbos as well.
    Nothing wrong with a PMR

I very nearly bought the previous Black Bay chrono, the all black face one at a very good price from an independent a few weeks ago.

I was impressed with the watch and would have been more than happy. Unfortunately it had been snapped up when I went back a few hours later.

In the end I bought this new Speedmaster which I have always longed after so turned out well

One thing that has put me off is the supply of these now, seems they are doing the same thing as Rolex. I did put my name down for the new reverse panda as they didn’t require a deposit. I was advised it would be a long wait though!!

When the GMT came out I really lusted after it and would have been my next watch purchase. But I could not get one anywhere. By the time the supply had dies down and you could walk in and buy one I sort of lost interest.

Cheers, Shaun

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Tudor was once not the poor mans rolex, but the working mans Rolex.

The Tudor sub used the same case and rolex signed crowns etc but had movements which could be easily serviced by any watchmaker. They were affordable where rolex was not, and I have to ask what's wrong with that?
    Plenty were issued as military kit. Its always been a subsidiary brand owned by Rolex but what do you want if youre using a tool watch? one that has to go to Switzerland for repair or one that can be sorted by any competent watchmaker? It was a sensible move that combined quality fittings with practicality.

The brand had a period of dozing and was "rejuvenated" (by Wilsdorf, so you have to consider that they knew what they were doing) and whereas big brother has always played the evolution not revolution game, Tudor have been allowed to essentially "piss about" and experiment with different materials, technologies and so on as its considered the younger rowdier sibling. They've produced some cracking watches.

The Tudor is poor mans Rolex guff is a sign of not really knowing much about Tudor tbh.

no from me for the much better reason than any above ...

the hour hand , imho it is bloody hideous !

so from a purely aesthetic point of view its a non starter for me.

Would you buy a Tudor?

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post

The Tudor sub used the same case and rolex signed crowns etc but had movements which could be easily serviced by any watchmaker. They were affordable where rolex was not, and I have to ask what's wrong with that?
    Plenty were issued as military kit. Its always been a subsidiary brand owned by Rolex but what do you want if youre using a tool watch? one that has to go to Switzerland for repair or one that can be sorted by any competent watchmaker? It was a sensible move that combined quality fittings with practicality.

The brand had a period of dozing and was "rejuvenated" (by Wilsdorf, so you have to consider that they knew what they were doing) and whereas big brother has always played the evolution not revolution game, Tudor have been allowed to essentially "piss about" and experiment with different materials, technologies and so on as its considered the younger rowdier sibling. They've produced some cracking watches.

The Tudor is poor mans Rolex guff is a sign of not really knowing much about Tudor tbh.
    very well said - vintage tudor subs are incredible, built very well and have a huge variety of looks over the years (compared to Rolex). From the early gilt chapter ring 7928s to snowflakes, lollipops etc, each with very different characters. It's also worth mentioning that they can still be had for (comparably) reasonable prices.

Here’s my pair of 76100s

Last edited by tommyzzj; 25th June 2021 at 12:21.

Craftsman
    I own Rolex (acquired before lists became a thing) and my next acquisition will be the BB reverse panda.

In common with Rolex this also requires a degree of patience to purchase and seems to also command a premium to purchase immediately.

They really are lovely watches and in my view represent value for money in a world of bloated watch prices.

I have also gone on a Rolex list for the purchase of a special watch for my wife - Oyster Perpetual.
    This although supposedly at the lower end of Rolex prices seems to have such a demand that I will be lucky to see within the next 12 months and I have seen on watchfinder at a ridiculous premium of 250%.

So there is some “commonality” between the two brands after all.

Master
    Yes and have done about 5 times. Great brand that complements Rolex's model lineup perfectly.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

A point clumsily made perhaps by the OP.

The problem with the statement, "a poor man's Rolex" is that it's like the phrase "once seen cannot be unseen". 99% logic can be undermined by that niggling phrase in the background.

Take the Mk 1 Pelagos. Quite superb in all aspects. There was not a thing I didn't like. I even accepted the snowflake design. Many unique design elements, and at the time, it stood out on its own merits. In no way was it a wannabee. Although the irony is that it was sacrificed in the end towards a SD.

Tudor might live in the shadow of its bigger, shoutier sibling, but were it to step away and become an independent it would probably receive the universal praise from all quarters that it's due.

Master

Would you buy a Tudor?

Quote Originally Posted by sjedwardz View Post
    I

Mis-post. Sorry all!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by lughugger; 25th June 2021 at 16:44.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    The estate agent who sold us our house recently was in his AD on day one getting the new LVc and a two tone Sub 41 at the same time
    Must be charging one helluva fee!!

Craftsman
    I must be a moron having yesterday sold yet another SMP and passed on buying a new PO just so I could come home with a new BB58 Black.

Journeyman
    Sometimes I wonder what’s the definition of a poor man.
    If someone is not in the position to afford a Rolex he is certainly not in a good position to afford a Tudor either.
    Not impossible, but that don’t seems to be a smart move.

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post

I love the Rolex Submariner case design, but didn't want to afford a Rolex. This was my solution, exactly the same case, with Tudor's own design twist, but substantially less money.
    People can think what they like about the "poor man's Rolex", but I am bery happy with mine.
    I have had a few other Subs (76100 blue and black), a BB GMT, and a few vintage Jumbos as well.
    Nothing wrong with a PMR
    I love this! What model is it?

My point was less about the company and more who wears them. I would also feel self conscious in a Rolex!

Craftsman

Nothing wrong with a PMR
    A refreshingly grounded post. (Nice watch too!)

My point was less about the company and more who wears them. I would also feel self conscious in a Rolex!
    Didn’t you just post that you are going to buy a 16600?

You seem to have made a lot of references to ‘the type of people’ who wear different watches. Does it really matter, just buy and enjoy what you want and sod everyone else and if you are going somewhere where you would feel vulnerable in a fairly expensive watch, wear a £100 G-Shock on those occasions - simples.

Just because two people happen to wear the same watch their journeys to that watch might be completely different. One may have sold a fair chunk of their collection in order to consolidate to what they regard as a grail watch and the other person may have received it as a present. Personally I would hope the guy who has put the effort in to get theirs enjoys the ownership experience more.

Id say that sums it up to a pretty decent degree.

I remember a post on here a few years ago which humorously compared the atmosphere at the rolex and tudor clocking-in queues - with rolex employees stood in a silent orderly line - and the tudor gang doing the hokey cokey into their building! :D

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Didn’t you just post that you are going to buy a 16600?

You seem to have made a lot of references to ‘the type of people’ who wear different watches. Does it really matter, just buy and enjoy what you want and sod everyone else and if you are going somewhere where you would feel vulnerable in a fairly expensive watch, wear a £100 G-Shock on those occasions - simples.

Just because two people happen to wear the same watch their journeys to that watch might be completely different. One may have sold a fair chunk of their collection in order to consolidate to what they regard as a grail watch and the other person may have received it as a present. Personally I would hope the guy who has put the effort in to get theirs enjoys the ownership experience more.
    One of the reasons I like the vintage ones is precisely because they are less vulgar. Slimmer lugs, taking an interest in the variations, rather than just buying it for the brand. I love subs and sea dwellers because of their simplicity!

I very much agree with the sentiment of your post though

Thats entirely your issue. Plenty of very down to earth people wear rolex. An abundance of a-holes too, but thats just going to be a thing with conspicuous wealth.

Only YOU know why you wear a thing.

I think the blinkered rolex fanboy fraternity are a total embarrassment - but they only really embarrass themselves. Its not the fault of rolex.

If (judging by your username) you own an omega then you should feel equally self conscious wearing the omega - given that, to the average watch owner, both brands are ridiculous displays of wealth.

SydR
    Yes, I would buy another Tudor.

Gives me something to wear between my Rolex, Audemars Piguet and Patek Philippe amongst others.

Wonder what that makes me in the mind of the OP?

Craftsman
    Count me in as another moron with no taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    Thats entirely your issue. Plenty of very down to earth people wear rolex. An abundance of a-holes too, but thats just going to be a thing with conspicuous wealth.

Only YOU know why you wear a thing.

I think the blinkered rolex fanboy fraternity are a total embarrassment - but they only really embarrass themselves. Its not the fault of rolex.

If (judging by your username) you own an omega then you should feel equally self conscious wearing the omega - given that, to the average watch owner, both brands are ridiculous displays of wealth.
    its interesting because I often think of the seamster as almost in the category of some horrible tag-hauer bought on the hughstreet simply because of the proliferation of the bond quartz, and even worse the horrible planet oceans.

But yes I do adore mine and I can't help it!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SydR View Post
    Yes, I would buy another Tudor.

Gives me something to wear between my Rolex, Audemars Piguet and Patek Philippe amongst others.

Wonder what that makes me in the mind of the OP?
    Three of the most pretentious brands in watch making? Haha :)

SydR
    its interesting because I often think of the seamster as almost in the category of some horrible tag-hauer bought on the hughstreet simply because of the proliferation of the bond quartz, and even worse the horrible planet oceans.

- - - Updated - - -

You are so predictable

You're really starting to grow on me...

Sorry if my original post was unclear. I am not trying to be a snob. I honestly feel self conscious about even wearing a Rolex because of the company that means I keep. I live in East London and it seems everyone is wearing a Rolex and driving a black Range Rover.

They are not doing it for the love of the thing, they are trying to just show off. You know the type.

My issue with Tudor is that its exactly the same concept, except the people showing off just don't have as much money.

But some of those modern simple tudors are so lovely, I suppose what I am really saying is that its a shame they are associated with Rolex as it will attract the same kind of people, and I'd hate to think someone would think I was wearing a watch to impress people rather than just loving the thing.
    I own and wear a Tudor. I also know a fair few a**holes who wear Rolex watches who are financially worse off than me but they chose a Rolex because they look the part. I chose a watch because of what it is rather than trying to be something I am not nor do I ever want to be. A would be snob.

Oh my god! I have both a Seamaster and a Tag Heuer, if Tudor wearers are morons what does that make me! I think you are over thinking things OP, these are all but trinkets at the end of the day, buy what you like and enjoy it for what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

- - - Updated - - -

What an unpleasant range of prejudices you display. You must be a riot at dinner parties

Simon

If you live in a flat by the a13 there’s nothing luxury about it 🤣

Do they make a different sound to those bought for cash??

Why is anyone actually responding to the OP (seriously)? You’re just giving credence to either trolling or rank stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Why is anyone actually responding to the OP (seriously)? You’re just giving credence to either trolling or rank stupidity.
    100% this. Not worth the effort of a reply.

Quite right Tony, I should know better. It’s not as if it will change anything

Simon

I had a black bay and didnt think it was anything special for the money.

Loads of other watches that price or less are also nice.

Timekeeping was poor actually and i didnt like the flat no AR crystal.

Blog Entries
    +1. Martyn.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Spoilsport

The point is that posts which ignore the trolling aspect and address the point can steer the discussion into a sensible debate.
    Calling it trolling encourages the type of bitchy post that this forum can suffer from.

That is why I choose to do the former rather than the latter

The point is that posts which ignore the trolling aspect and address the point can steer the discussion into a sensible debate.
    Calling it trolling encourages the type of bitchy post that this forum can suffer from.

That is why I choose to do the former rather than the latter
    I get your point, Dave, but I disagree. This is a SOCIAL media platform and acting like an anti-social tw*t shouldn't be encouraged with page after page of responses, giving credence to the original post/style of posting. That've just my opinion, though, and I can be a tad intolerant at times.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Tudor = Poor Man's Rolex
    Rolex = Poor Man's Patek
    Patek = Poor Man's Credor
    Credor = Poor Man's Greubel Forssey

Blahblahblah

I tend to buy what I like. Easier that way and I don't need to worry if I come across as poor or not.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Best comment in here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    If you live in a flat by the a13 there’s nothing luxury about it 🤣
    I know from much experience there is nothing luxurious about living by the A13 - all the ‘luxury’ flats are extortionately overpriced generic cardboard shoeboxes, and there is no luxury in being surrounded by industrial estates, the pollution of endless traffic going in and out of the city and planes dropping in and out of city airport. My whole family is from that area and everyone strived to get out as far into Essex as they could as it was just post war slums. Then they tarted it up and sold it back to all the chinless Geralds. My mum and dads place is now worth 20 times what they paid for it. Wonder if that Tudor wearing ‘moron’ of an estate agent saw you coming....😂

I see Tudor as a more colourful version of Rolex, with great build quality, but more playful, more experimental and less conservative. Also without the pretension that I (potentially wrongly) associate with Rolex, that a lot of people buy it for the wrong reasons

funny thread... buy what you like... and enjoy :)

Master

Would you buy a Tudor?

Yes, I would and I’ would take it to the market.

Probably my favourite Tudor.

( yes, I know the date is wrong).

Master
    Yes, I have had a 79260p (silver panda) for roughly 15 years and recently added a GMT. While I do intend to reduce the numbers a bit, I think these will be staying.

They certainly seem good value in today’s market with BB58’s possible to picked up for not a lot more than Tag Heuer money.